Still cheaper all round than Foxtel/IQ!
No its not. Its the same price. Except with Foxtel, you get 2 free Box Office movies per month against Austar's 1 free Box Office movie per month if you are on the full package.
IMHO, the Foxtel IQ box far more superior with its software. I moved from a Foxtel (satellite) area to an Austar area, and I had the IQ box while in the Foxtel area. So far, i've noticed the following differences:
* The EPG is too slow (if it works at all!) on the MyStar box. Actually, to do anything on the MyStar box, its extremely slow
* You can't turn off the background music on the MyStar box
* MyStar doesn't have a Series Link feature (that i've seen yet)
* Interactive Ads do not work
* There is no remote record facility (being able to log in via the web and schedule a recording from an online EPG)
* There's no "On Demand" equivalent on MyStar (yes, i know it takes up additional space on the hard drive
* The MyStar box doesn't let you order Box Office via the box, you can only do it via phone or online
* The Austar boxes in general only let you scroll one program ahead on the mini EPG at the bottom of the screen when you are browsing up and down the channels, foxtel lets you go at least 8-9hrs ahead (quite a number of programmes)
* And just visually, the software on Foxtel IQ is better looking and easier to navigate (yes, i know its similar, but the IQ box is still has visually better software)
Thats just what i've noticed so far.. The ONLY advantage i found with the MyStar box was the FTA channels, which the Foxtel box didn't have.. Not really something to brag about if all these other things are missing from it; features which Foxtel have had on their box for 6 months to a year now. And in saying that, i've heard that Foxtel are releasing a new IQ box shortly anyway which is better again than their current box and with a larger hard drive (i may be misinformed there, what i've heard is just rumour). Currently, both the MyStar and IQ boxes have a 160Gb HDD.
So in reality, I'm paying the same amount now as what a Foxtel subscriber would be, except Austar are offering me less for my money.. And I don't have a choice to switch to Foxtel.. Doesn't seem quite right......