Mystar - Issues And Comments

• Please log in to reply
1914 replies to this topic

#76 dj_salinger

dj_salinger

AV Forum Member

• 56 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:34 AM

Anyone finding that the shows set for record are not exactly starting the record at the start of the show.

Some shows OK, some shows not OK.?

Yeah, but I've been assuming that is the channel not starting on time, not the box starting late. But then again I haven't been sitting there watching it 24/7.

#77 icanfly77

icanfly77

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

do you get a new smartcard when you get the mystar box or do they use your existing?

If you got a new card is it a new new one or a re-used one?

#78 Graeme on the Gold Coast

Graeme on the Gold Coast

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:11 PM

do you get a new smartcard when you get the mystar box or do they use your existing?

Yep its a new smart card.

I got my upgrade done yesterday and love it. The only issue was the FTA was pointing to the wrong area but that took the tech 5 mins to correct with a phone call back to HQ. :D

#79 icanfly77

icanfly77

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

Yep its a new smart card.

Cool thanks is the card the same one as is used in the atlas boxes eg same size and shape and type irdeto?

#80 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, but I've been assuming that is the channel not starting on time, not the box starting late. But then again I haven't been sitting there watching it 24/7.

How would you like to perform a little experiment? If you scroll the EPG to Saturday afternoon you should see an episode of K-ville at 3pm on FOX8. Please set your MyStar to record that program. If possible don't have any start / end padding added - ie, the recording starts at 3pm and finishes at 4pm, but you must set it via the guide, not a manually defined event. This program has failed to run to the advertised schedule each Saturday and typically finishes running at 16:15. The N&N EIT info does reflect the start and end times more accurately, but even then it can run a couple of minutes past the EIT advertised end at 16:15. I'm curious as to how the MyStar handles it.

#81 dj_salinger

dj_salinger

AV Forum Member

• 56 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

How would you like to perform a little experiment? If you scroll the EPG to Saturday afternoon you should see an episode of K-ville at 3pm on FOX8. Please set your MyStar to record that program. If possible don't have any start / end padding added - ie, the recording starts at 3pm and finishes at 4pm, but you must set it via the guide, not a manually defined event. This program has failed to run to the advertised schedule each Saturday and typically finishes running at 16:15. The N&N EIT info does reflect the start and end times more accurately, but even then it can run a couple of minutes past the EIT advertised end at 16:15. I'm curious as to how the MyStar handles it.

I can try that when I get home, but that reminded me of something else.
We had set the Mystar to record Flavor of Love on VH1 through the EPG, however VH1 changed their schedule so the recording still went ahead, was still titled Flavor of Love but recorded something else!
The now - next thing showed the different program as well. I think the original recordings were set a few days in advance (obviously before the EPG was updated) but that shows that the MyStar doesn't update the recording if the EPG is changed.

#82 ozbrit

ozbrit

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:18 PM

DrP You won't need an experiment, Mystar won't be able to detect the start or end of a program, unlike for example skyplus boxes in the UK which do - a bit like G-code I guess. Mystars planned recordings only seem to work off the TV guide. We already know that displays the program scheduled for that particular time slot, even if the previous program is still on.

Edited by ozbrit, 28 November 2007 - 07:01 PM.

#83 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:18 PM

That's more or less what I suspected. It just sets a static timer with a title in the same way as if you entered a manual timer. A far far better way would be to have a unique identifier tag per event in the EPG (a 32 bit number would be more than sufficient) and have the MyStar attach that number to the timer event. The Mystar then watches the guide data (using an idle tuner) and adjusts the start / end times using the unique identifier to track the program in the guide. All that would require is for the guide data to be 'live' which shouldn't be all that hard to achieve. As an added bonus this would allow the guide data to appear instantly when the user went to view it, instead of waiting for it to download real time which is what appears to be happening at present.

Given the amount of time the MyStar was in development it seems to have quite a few shortcomings. :unsure:

#84 whispa1970

whispa1970

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

Cards always belong to the box, you will never JUST get a card as they are married to that box and will not work in another AUSTAR box.

#85 Refidim

Refidim

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

Cards always belong to the box, you will never JUST get a card as they are married to that box and will not work in another AUSTAR box.

It's a one way marriage the box is married to the card but the card works in 3rd part boxes. In other words when it comes to the cards, all Austar boxes including the Mystar are monogamies but the cards are polygamies.

Edited by Refidim, 28 November 2007 - 05:13 PM.

#86 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:34 PM

It's a one way marriage the box is married to the card but the card works in 3rd part boxes. In other words when it comes to the cards, all Austar boxes including the Mystar are monogamies but the cards are polygamies.

Got any proof that a card from a mystar works in 3rd party equipment? Its a direct contradiction of what is in the back of the mystar manual, so either Austar is fibbing or you are wrong.

#87 Graeme on the Gold Coast

Graeme on the Gold Coast

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

Anyone having issues with the Mystar box either freezing or rebooting when they change channels?

mine has been all night! will need to ring Austar in the am to try and get it sorted.

#88 icanfly77

icanfly77

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:04 PM

Got any proof that a card from a mystar works in 3rd party equipment? Its a direct contradiction of what is in the back of the mystar manual, so either Austar is fibbing or you are wrong.

Austar cards works in PC DVB-S (Sat) Card with and IRDETO CAM installed

So is the smartcard you get the same as is used in the atlas boxes and the same size and type - IRDETO?

#89 whispa1970

whispa1970

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:32 PM

So is the smartcard you get the same as is used in the atlas boxes and the same size and type - IRDETO?

Ummm, Yes.

#90 whispa1970

whispa1970

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:33 PM

Anyone having issues with the Mystar box either freezing or rebooting when they change channels?

mine has been all night! will need to ring Austar in the am to try and get it sorted.

Thats a new one. Have not come across one of those yet?

#91 nephi66

nephi66

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

Thats a new one. Have not come across one of those yet?

mine has done that only once, mine has decided when the channel is changed the audio from the previous channel remains for a a few seconds, blank screen then the pic comes on, hopefully, once or twice I have lost channels and had to reboot.But I am still happy. After reboot is seems to stop, hasnt happened today. Other prob I had was weather active would not work.....yet another reboot and it now works.

#92 Eddy Current

Eddy Current

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

Have encountered this same fault in 3 separate mystar boxes. Usually changing channels with the + - keys rapidly will do it.
the problem with the program guide crashing out seems to affect every unit and the image freezes, black screens, audio sync problems and nocturnal awakenings are common. Apparently one way of testing if you have a dud is to do a reset using the remote. Key in this sequence in rapid order

Yellow - red
Green - red
blue - red

the box should reset itself but if the program guide appears then its certainly suspect.

As has been pointed out earlier, a mature technology product which has been so long in development should not have the astounding number of faults evident in the units which have been released so far.

Anyway spare a thought for the PBI (poor bloody installer) twice the install time, twice the set up time, twice the customer education time and essentially double the materials cost. Some installers have calculated they make $5 extra on a mystar installation And to top it off there is the awful battery cover (Austar is promising an illustration on how to open the battery cover) the barcode stickers which need a knife to be removed, the hard to open front panel cover which hides the reset switch (bit redundant really - the mystar box will do it all by itself) and the hideous manual activation procedure which requires 2 "hits" one to activate the smartcard for satellite reception and a reset to find the FTA channels.

Bah Humbug

#93 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:26 AM

Austar is using ver 5.3 cards which are capable of 'marrying' the STB so that they won't work in 3rd party receivers. Austar also says that the 'mystar' card won't work in 3rd party STBs in the back of the mystar manual.

#94 Graeme on the Gold Coast

Graeme on the Gold Coast

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:16 AM

Dam, Austar cannot fix it remotely and said they have not herd of this before!

They cannot get out to change it until next Wednesday, hopefully the local tech will see the call and get here sooner.

A week of resetting every time I want to change channels.................................may just park it up and take the kids box.

#95 mosblk

mosblk

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

glad i don't have one of the first batch

I'd rather the ACCC pull their finger out and over-rule Foxtel and Austar's anti-competitive deal on carving up pay tv zones. Then we could choose between IQ and Mystar.... Wonder which would come out on top? ;)

#96 AdamMadd

AdamMadd

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

Still cheaper all round than Foxtel/IQ! :rolleyes:

No its not. Its the same price. Except with Foxtel, you get 2 free Box Office movies per month against Austar's 1 free Box Office movie per month if you are on the full package.
IMHO, the Foxtel IQ box far more superior with its software. I moved from a Foxtel (satellite) area to an Austar area, and I had the IQ box while in the Foxtel area. So far, i've noticed the following differences:
* The EPG is too slow (if it works at all!) on the MyStar box. Actually, to do anything on the MyStar box, its extremely slow
* You can't turn off the background music on the MyStar box
* MyStar doesn't have a Series Link feature (that i've seen yet)
* Interactive Ads do not work
* There is no remote record facility (being able to log in via the web and schedule a recording from an online EPG)
* There's no "On Demand" equivalent on MyStar (yes, i know it takes up additional space on the hard drive
* The MyStar box doesn't let you order Box Office via the box, you can only do it via phone or online
* The Austar boxes in general only let you scroll one program ahead on the mini EPG at the bottom of the screen when you are browsing up and down the channels, foxtel lets you go at least 8-9hrs ahead (quite a number of programmes)
* And just visually, the software on Foxtel IQ is better looking and easier to navigate (yes, i know its similar, but the IQ box is still has visually better software)

Thats just what i've noticed so far.. The ONLY advantage i found with the MyStar box was the FTA channels, which the Foxtel box didn't have.. Not really something to brag about if all these other things are missing from it; features which Foxtel have had on their box for 6 months to a year now. And in saying that, i've heard that Foxtel are releasing a new IQ box shortly anyway which is better again than their current box and with a larger hard drive (i may be misinformed there, what i've heard is just rumour). Currently, both the MyStar and IQ boxes have a 160Gb HDD.

So in reality, I'm paying the same amount now as what a Foxtel subscriber would be, except Austar are offering me less for my money.. And I don't have a choice to switch to Foxtel.. Doesn't seem quite right......

#97 AdamMadd

AdamMadd

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:32 PM

Interesting:

I just ran an angry IP scan on my network once i pluged the mystar into the network,

And it rebooted it

So i thought this is a once off, ran it again and sure enough it rebooted it again...

I'll try individual IP addresses soon and see if ican pinpoint it.

i run a 192.168.0.X network if anyone discovers if mystr is dhcp enabled, my server didn't appear to assign it an IP address so maybe it is static.

I plugged mine into my LAN as well and it started rebooting itself as soon as any network activity took place..

#98 Graeme on the Gold Coast

Graeme on the Gold Coast

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

wow I stand corrected, just checked the Foxtel site and man the price has come down heaps since I last looked.

BTW I do agree with your comments above but like you said what can you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Graeme from Murrumbateman, 29 November 2007 - 03:02 PM.

#99 paytvguy

paytvguy

AV Forum Member

• 31 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

I bet you thought you were pretty "smart" and "edgy" when you posted this. Oh well, time to take it apart and point out where your wrong.

* The EPG is too slow (if it works at all!) on the MyStar box. Actually, to do anything on the MyStar box, its extremely slow

It takes around 15seconds to load the EPG, my Flinders and Atlas decoders take around 8-10 seconds. I guess waiting an extra 5seconds just cause's all sorts of problems.

* You can't turn off the background music on the MyStar box

Totally unrelated to mystar, all you have to do when you load the EPG is *gasp* press the mute button.

* MyStar doesn't have a Series Link feature (that i've seen yet)

As of yet, no, not that it is life and death importance, sure it would be nice, feedback has been forwarded to austar, and they will get it up when they can.

* Interactive Ads do not work

Once again, Unrelated to mystar, interactive ad's dont work on austar.

* There is no remote record facility (being able to log in via the web and schedule a recording from an online EPG)

this is only even new to IQ, and since the mystar is such a new product to the public, it is in testing stages.

* The MyStar box doesn't let you order Box Office via the box, you can only do it via phone or online

Another unrelated mystar issue. the austar sat is one way only.

* The Austar boxes in general only let you scroll one program ahead on the mini EPG at the bottom of the screen when you are browsing up and down the channels, foxtel lets you go at least 8-9hrs ahead (quite a number of programmes)

Is it too much to press that small "TV Guide" Button on the remote? Dont really think so.

* And just visually, the software on Foxtel IQ is better looking and easier to navigate (yes, i know its similar, but the IQ box is still has visually better software)

:rolleyes:

So in reality, I'm paying the same amount now as what a Foxtel subscriber would be, except Austar are offering me less for my money.. And I don't have a choice to switch to Foxtel.. Doesn't seem quite right......

:rolleyes:

I guess your foxtel manager cant give you that bonus for that post he was going to give you now that your completely wrong.

#100 duke

duke

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

It's criminal the ACCC can't step in and allow people to chose Foxtel :angry: