24 replies to this topic

#1 Chui

Chui

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:12 PM

Hi all,

News about firmware updates for the VP50 have been included in threads haphazardly. Also, VP's seem to be included in the projector section by consensus.

Soooooo, here's a thread dedicated to them.

1.06 now available.

http://www.anchorbay...eement.1.06.php

iScan VP50 1.06 Beta Software (November 2, 2007)
Thank you for your interest in the iScan VP50 1.06 beta software. This software applies to iScan VP50 models only, and must not be loaded into HD, HD+, VP20 or VP30 units.

This pre-release Beta version of our software contains the following new features:
  • Horizontal and Vertical Shift available on all Component video inputs.
This pre-release Beta version of our software also addresses the following bugs:
  • 1080p-24 Input to 1080p-24 Output
  • 1080i-50 "Auto" Deinterlacing Mode Improved
  • Fixed problem with 48 Flashing Pixels at top of the image
  • In Advanced Mode, limit on scaler is now limited to 170MHz (previously 150MHz).
  • Discrete IR/Serial Commands for Deinterlacing Modes “Auto” and “Forced 3:2” correctly functioning
  • Corrected Audio Delay for 1080p-24/25/50Hz Input Signals

#2 Gino

Gino

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the update Chui. I tried v1.05 (beta) but wasn't happy with it, hopefully it's better in this iteration

#3 Chui

Chui

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the update Chui. I tried v1.05 (beta) but wasn't happy with it, hopefully it's better in this iteration

No doubt you get more out of your VP50 than I do with you set-up, but I had a positive experience with 1.05. Thankfully it got rid of those bloody white pixels at the top left of screen. :D It seems to do a better job locking on to 1080i-50 as well. Unfortunately I don't have a HD-DVD/BR player as yet, so can't comment on the performance there.

What were your dramas. I would imagine DVDO would love to hear of your experiences, given your level of equipment :P

Cheers,

Chui

#4 Gino

Gino

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:37 PM

I wanted to take advantage of the higher pixel clocks. 150Mhz to 165Mhz in v1.05b. Unfortunately they were only available in frame rate unlocked mode. I only want to use locked mode for smoothest playback. It seems with v1.06b they have upped it further to 170Mhz. Hopefully they have fixed support for locked modes at this higher clock.

#5 Chui

Chui

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:44 PM

Hopefully they have fixed support for locked modes at this higher clock.

No mention of it, so it might be a case of 'suck it and see' :)

#6 Gino

Gino

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:49 PM

I asked over at AVS so hopefully someone at dvdo will let me know. It's a royal PITA to muck about with porch settings etc... on my setup due to the blend then have to go back to v1.04 if there are any problems and set it all up again.

#7 norpus

norpus

AV Forum Member

• 5,417 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

I asked over at AVS so hopefully someone at dvdo will let me know. It's a royal PITA to muck about with porch settings etc... on my setup due to the blend then have to go back to v1.04 if there are any problems and set it all up again.

its easier with a digi Gino :P

#8 SteveC

SteveC

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

I welcome the 1080P-24 fix if it is indeed a fix. I have been running the Ps3 on 1080-60 because of the 24 frame rate not being passed by the VP50

I'll check it out

Steve

#9 dyates69

dyates69

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:43 PM

I welcome the 1080P-24 fix if it is indeed a fix. I have been running the Ps3 on 1080-60 because of the 24 frame rate not being passed by the VP50

I'll check it out
Steve

I see a lot of reference to this and am confused by it. Why is a 24p input on a VP a big positive? Doesn't the VP extract the info from a 60 or 50Hz signal and then just output at a multiple of 24 or 25 anyway?

I don't get why native 24p's an advantage. As far as I know virtually any video processor with custom output refresh rates can provide this functionality regardless.

#10 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,718 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:03 PM

I'll check it out
Steve

I thought this was fixed with the previous firmware 1.05 and it certainly work for me with Sony Pearl, DVDO VP50 and PS3.

#11 SteveC

SteveC

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

I thought this was fixed with the previous firmware 1.05 and it certainly work for me with Sony Pearl, DVDO VP50 and PS3.

may well have been :wacko:

#12 RodN

RodN

AV Forum Member

• 5,592 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:48 PM

I see a lot of reference to this and am confused by it. Why is a 24p input on a VP a big positive? Doesn't the VP extract the info from a 60 or 50Hz signal and then just output at a multiple of 24 or 25 anyway?

I don't get why native 24p's an advantage. As far as I know virtually any video processor with custom output refresh rates can provide this functionality regardless.

You are correct the inverse telecine function should be picking up on 24fps anyway. I guess it's a nice to have though to think that a little less processing is required.

#13 Chui

Chui

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

Hot off the press.................
Two new betas.

http://www.anchorbay...eement.1.07.php

New Forced 3:2 and Forced 2:2 Deinterlacing Modes (again)

Horizontal and Vertical Shift available on RGBHV (BNC) video input

This software version also addresses and corrects the following bugs:

• Fixed Automation Protocol so that menu options that have a negative value (such as Brightness and Contrast) are read back correctly.
  • Added Automation commands for 24Hz and 25Hz Frame Rate Options
  • Added Automation commands for Horizontal Shift
  • Fixed intermittent audio drop-outs due to sources with high-jitter (completely new audio logic).
  • Added HDMI Output Audio Mute routine to avoid "pops" and noise bursts while audio format is being determined.
  • Changed HDMI output configuration routine to remove potential of audio output lock-up in the HDMI transmitter under certain conditions.
  • Fixed failure of Discrete IR commands
  • Fixed Line-Offset error after switching from High-def Component video (720p or 1080i) to HDMI input (480i-60Hz or 576i-50Hz).
  • Corrected Info-Screen "No Signal" message when audio input is Analog, and "Unknown" message when audio over HDMI is compressed audio (will now display "Non-PCM").
  • Corrected 1080p-24Hz output timings.
  • Addressed Frame-Rate Conversion logic error which broke 48Hz and other frame rates (when input/output different), rendering video output unwatchable (very stuttery.)
  • Addressed 24Hz output tearing issue in Frame Buffer logic, causing bottom portion of output video to very badly tear occasionally (done early since logic is related to above "new" bug).
  • Addressed request to re-insert 2:2 Odd and 2:2 Even deinterlacer modes for customers with Sky-HD Service (Forced 2:2 option remains, and is operating fine for SD content)
  • Addressed corner case where switching from PReP 1080p input to non-PReP interlaced input set to "Field Scaling" would result in 400% magnification (due to invalid progressive-source flag)
  • Fixed the 1080i Tri-Sync bug
  • Addressed Scaler limitation in limited scenarios by adding "Field Scale" Deinterlacing mode. This mode is only available when the input is 1080i and is only needed if the output format is less than 540p (for example VGA or 480p) or if a large value of "Underscan" is being used.
  • Fixed remote control repeat bug
  • Updated Automation Protocol
  • Updated Standby Mode so that unit does not power down while scrolling through menus
  • In Advanced Mode, limit on scaler is now limited to 170MHz (previously 150MHz).
  • Discrete IR/Serial Commands for Deinterlacing Modes "Auto" and "Forced 3:2" correctly functioning

http://www.anchorbay...eement.1.08.php

Progressive Cadence Detection On/Off

This version supports the ability to turn Progressive Cadence Detection On and Off. Progressive Cadence Detection is beneficial when the input frame rate and output frame rate are different. For example, if the input frame rate is 60Hz and the content is film-based (24fps) and the output frame rate is set to 24Hz (or a multiple of 24) than this feature should be set to on.

:)

#14 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,718 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hot off the press.................
Two new betas.

http://www.anchorbay...eement.1.07.php

New Forced 3:2 and Forced 2:2 Deinterlacing Modes (again)

Horizontal and Vertical Shift available on RGBHV (BNC) video input

This software version also addresses and corrects the following bugs:

• Fixed Automation Protocol so that menu options that have a negative value (such as Brightness and Contrast) are read back correctly.
  • Added Automation commands for 24Hz and 25Hz Frame Rate Options
  • Added Automation commands for Horizontal Shift
  • Fixed intermittent audio drop-outs due to sources with high-jitter (completely new audio logic).
  • Added HDMI Output Audio Mute routine to avoid "pops" and noise bursts while audio format is being determined.
  • Changed HDMI output configuration routine to remove potential of audio output lock-up in the HDMI transmitter under certain conditions.
  • Fixed failure of Discrete IR commands
  • Fixed Line-Offset error after switching from High-def Component video (720p or 1080i) to HDMI input (480i-60Hz or 576i-50Hz).
  • Corrected Info-Screen "No Signal" message when audio input is Analog, and "Unknown" message when audio over HDMI is compressed audio (will now display "Non-PCM").
  • Corrected 1080p-24Hz output timings.
  • Addressed Frame-Rate Conversion logic error which broke 48Hz and other frame rates (when input/output different), rendering video output unwatchable (very stuttery.)
  • Addressed 24Hz output tearing issue in Frame Buffer logic, causing bottom portion of output video to very badly tear occasionally (done early since logic is related to above "new" bug).
  • Addressed request to re-insert 2:2 Odd and 2:2 Even deinterlacer modes for customers with Sky-HD Service (Forced 2:2 option remains, and is operating fine for SD content)
  • Addressed corner case where switching from PReP 1080p input to non-PReP interlaced input set to "Field Scaling" would result in 400% magnification (due to invalid progressive-source flag)
  • Fixed the 1080i Tri-Sync bug
  • Addressed Scaler limitation in limited scenarios by adding "Field Scale" Deinterlacing mode. This mode is only available when the input is 1080i and is only needed if the output format is less than 540p (for example VGA or 480p) or if a large value of "Underscan" is being used.
  • Fixed remote control repeat bug
  • Updated Automation Protocol
  • Updated Standby Mode so that unit does not power down while scrolling through menus
  • Discrete IR/Serial Commands for Deinterlacing Modes "Auto" and "Forced 3:2" correctly functioning

http://www.anchorbay...eement.1.08.php

Progressive Cadence Detection On/Off

This version supports the ability to turn Progressive Cadence Detection On and Off. Progressive Cadence Detection is beneficial when the input frame rate and output frame rate are different. For example, if the input frame rate is 60Hz and the content is film-based (24fps) and the output frame rate is set to 24Hz (or a multiple of 24) than this feature should be set to on.

:)

It is good to know that DVDO still try to provide upgrade patch for VP50 but the bad thing is I had to going through the process of taking it out of the shelf and plug it back. This means VP50 will stay in my system for a while longer until DVDO can come up with a VP with dual HDMI out.

#15 Gino

Gino

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

It is good to know that DVDO still try to provide upgrade patch for VP50 but the bad thing is I had to going through the process of taking it out of the shelf and plug it back. This means VP50 will stay in my system for a while longer until DVDO can come up with a VP with dual HDMI out.

Ever consider something like this to pair with your VP50?

#16 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,718 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

Ever consider something like this to pair with your VP50?

No, I am getting the 4 in 2 out Matrix switch from foxtail in one or two weeks time for $210. A cheaper alternative.

#17 norpus

norpus

AV Forum Member

• 5,417 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:11 AM

Regarding the VP50pro software, I was advised by my calibrator not to install the latest software but to use v1.02 as it was the only one fully stable in his experience. (v1.04 is beta and can be unstable at times in one install he did)
That was good enough for me to follow his advice
I got him in on Friday, and after his tweaking the green a bit the picture looks even better than before. The projector is now very flat in colour (lucky as these ones don't have much ability to change) and I don't need the Lumagen

PS He has one last VP50 for $1800 if anyone wants one. It was Bstock but has full Aust warranty which is v good. Contact Aaron at Avical if you want to pick up an excellent product at a bargain.

http://www.avicalaus....au/contact.htm

#18 bizzibee

bizzibee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

...PS He has one last VP50 for $1800 if anyone wants one. It was Bstock but has full Aust warranty which is v good. Contact Aaron at Avical if you want to pick up an excellent product at a bargain.

I picked up one of Aaron's B-Stock VP50's a few weeks ago. A bargain!!

I've dumped the v1.04 firmware (firmware version on the VP50 at delivery), as all my inputs were getting scrambled every time the power was disconnected from the VP50. The internal VP50 menu was fine, just the input signals. I contacted Aaron about the issue. However before he got back to me, I'd updated the firmware to v1.08 which fixed the scrambled input issue. Aaron recommend I use v1.02 as well. I might just see how v1.08 works out for the time being.

#19 richardc

richardc

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

Regarding the VP50pro software, I was advised by my calibrator not to install the latest software but to use v1.02 as it was the only one fully stable in his experience. (v1.04 is beta and can be unstable at times in one install he did)
I got him in on Friday, and after his tweaking the green a bit the picture looks even better than before. The projector is now very flat in colour (lucky as these ones don't have much ability to change) and I don't need the Lumagen

PS He has one last VP50 for $1800 if anyone wants one. It was Bstock but has full Aust warranty which is v good. Contact Aaron at Avical if you want to pick up an excellent product at a bargain.

Hi Guys
Audio Trends in Melbourne is selling new VP50 for $1799, bought one last week.
Regards
Richard

#20 RodN

RodN

AV Forum Member

• 5,592 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

Glad to hear of the improvements norps. :)

#21 Franin

Franin

AV Forum Member

• 3,523 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

Im picking up mine by next week with the software upgraded does the actual unit have a zoom feature to rid of black bars on a 16x9 screen, BTW I was told this I don't know if it's true.Apparentley its by a push of a button.

#22 norpus

norpus

AV Forum Member

• 5,417 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:51 PM

Im picking up mine by next week with the software upgraded does the actual unit have a zoom feature to rid of black bars on a 16x9 screen, BTW I was told this I don't know if it's true.Apparentley its by a push of a button.

<edited (incorrect assumption for which I apologise) >
But it is not a zoom so I guess I did not explain it simply enough, my fault I guess

#23 Franin

Franin

AV Forum Member

• 3,523 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:57 PM

If you don't believe me, don't ask again Franin <_<
But it is not a zoom so I guess I did not explain it simply enough, my fault I guess

Ah Norpus, I wasn't referring to you mate I was actual talking about the retailer.Actually if you look at your PM you know the retailer i was talking too.don't want to mention any names!

#24 Franin

Franin

AV Forum Member

• 3,523 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

BTW Norpus look at the time I posted the question.I posted that question at 11:50am and you responded via PM 1:48PM.

#25 norpus

norpus

AV Forum Member

• 5,417 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:17 AM

BTW Norpus look at the time I posted the question.I posted that question at 11:50am and you responded via PM 1:48PM.

My apologies Franin