575 replies to this topic

#1 nting

nting

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

Hey All,

It's about time the Wii owners got their own thread to discuss/question/debate/brag/speculate and just plain celebrate all things Wii related.

As a starter, let's talk about what games we have currently and what games we're most looking forward to. Or just talk about anything you want.

Also, please do not post sale/trade/buy messages in here. Use the Wii Game Trade thread for that sort of stuff.

Me first.

Games I've got:
- Wii Sports (really? :rolleyes: )
- Wii Play
- Wario Smooth Moves
- Rayman Ravin' Rabbids

Games I'm looking forward to:
- Super Smash Bros Brawl
- Mario Kart
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
- No More Heroes
- the Star Wars Light saber game...

Edited by nting, 31 October 2007 - 04:11 PM.

#2 dannywss

dannywss

AV Forum Member

• 51 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

*edited
(sorry, didnt notice the "no sale" stuff)

i bought mine 2 months ago, VERY LOOKING FORWARD at tat time, total disappointment...(for me) coz now its 2007, 2 more months, its 2008, STILL Wii is providing such "good quality" graphic? PERSONALLY i consider myself as stupid as... coz i bought my wii for 499, modded, bought straight away 15 games! soo excited towards need for speed, when i started it, watch the intro and play the 1st race, i decide not to play anymore.

but for the creativity of wireless sensor motion controller, i give them 8 out of 10, 2 more point left out, coz they could use bluetooth instead of infrared? coz player has to stand near to the tv when playing...

It's fun for people who is new to experiencing a new way of playing also, (just not for me)

Edited by dannywss, 31 October 2007 - 04:21 PM.

#3 nting

nting

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

:rolleyes:

#4 lbland

lbland

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

but for the creativity of wireless sensor motion controller, i give them 8 out of 10, 2 more point left out, coz they could use bluetooth instead of infrared? coz player has to stand near to the tv when playing...

I'm not sure I understand you. The wiimotes are bluetooth. The only infrared part of them is the sensor bar and infrared camera in the wiimote. This gives you the "pointing" facility. Taking marks off for "not being able to point at the TV" when "not standing near the TV" is a little harsh. Especially when you can put the sensor bar wherever you want, or even build your own if you want to have it a really long way away from the TV.

Latch

#5 dannywss

dannywss

AV Forum Member

• 51 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:52 PM

imagine u stand quite a distance from the tv, where do u put the sensor bar? on the floor? hanging middle air? putting on a coffee table will be too short, UNLESS able another chair on top, ahh, then would be nice! but who gonna do tat? coz u r playing while standing(most of the time). i thought is low battery problem but it wasnt...
coz when u r using a 40inch plasma, u cant really stand too near while playing...
watever, sorry if i offended anyone, as i said, this is the situation "for me", doesnt meant tat its for everyone..

#6 Bobbsy

Bobbsy

AV Forum Member

• 39 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:21 PM

We (or should I spell it Wii) have the sensor bar just under our 50" plasma and it works fine at any range we've tried.

Just as an aside, we started off with the sensor on top (because that appeared to get it closer to the screen) but that didn't seem to work as well, especially when our youngest (and therefore smallest) wants to play.

Bob

#7 Guest_Zymurgy_*

Guest_Zymurgy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:06 AM

{snip}
- Rayman Ravin' Rabbids
{snip}

And Wii like this game? Asking because I'm thinking of getting it.

Gordon.

#8 GraveDilute

GraveDilute

AV Forum Member

• 198 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:20 AM

Rayman Rabbids is pretty funny.
Only 1 player until you clock it. The dance mini-games are good, and the shoot em up at the end of every stage is also good value.

#9 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

Rayman Rabbids is pretty funny.
Only 1 player until you clock it. The dance mini-games are good, and the shoot em up at the end of every stage is also good value.

Another vote for Rabbids here, it's good fun :)

#10 nting

nting

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, Rabbids is a fun game. It has a few different game styles and can get a bit tough at times, but it's definitely a very funny game. You just what to smack the crap out of all the stupid looking rabbids!! :D Dancing and shooting levels are the best.

I think I saw it cheap too, $39 at Dick Smiths.

They are making number 2 but not sure when that will be out.

#11 nting

nting

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

I'm thinking of getting the Nintendo Component cable. I've heard the third party ones are not always good quality (except Monster of course) when compared with the official Nintendo one. I've also read that the Nintendo one doesn't let you split the audio and video cables far apart which is problem for some people with home theatres and stuff. But the picture quality is fantastic. :o

Anyone using component for their Wii? If you do, please tell us what brand, how much you paid and what you think.

#12 Gadzooks

Gadzooks

AV Forum Member

• 61 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

I'm thinking of getting the Nintendo Component cable. I've heard the third party ones are not always good quality (except Monster of course) when compared with the official Nintendo one. I've also read that the Nintendo one doesn't let you split the audio and video cables far apart which is problem for some people with home theatres and stuff. But the picture quality is fantastic. :o

Anyone using component for their Wii? If you do, please tell us what brand, how much you paid and what you think.

I have the Wii connected to a Bravia 46X via component cables. It's a lot better than composites and looks pretty good but, obviously, at only 480p it isn't going to look anywhere as good as a PS3 over HDMI. But then again, the Wii is all about fun gameplay and the games don't live or die purely on their graphics.

While I'm posting, I have to put in a plug for Resident Evil 4 - if you are 15+ and don't mind a bit of gore it is the most fantastic game that will keep you busy and interested for weeks and weeks. The Mercenaries mini game is worth the asking price on it's own!

#13 nting

nting

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:58 AM

Wow, you've got the same setup as me. :lol: Except no PS3 here... :(

What component cable do you have (original, third party)?

Yes, RE4 is meant to be brilliant. I've read it just sold over a million copies. Fingers crossed it goes platinum...

#14 Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

Rabbids is great fun - I bought it for the kids and ended up playing it all the way through myself. Now looking forwards to Rabbids 2!

Aside from the obvious games I'm looking forward to Zack & Wiki: Quest For Barbaros' Treasure being released.

BTW Rabbids 2 is due to be released 15th November 2007

#15 nting

nting

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

BTW Rabbids 2 is due to be released 15th November 2007

Woah, that soon! Might as well wait for the new one then. Unless you can get Rabbids 1 cheap.

#16 Hakka

Hakka

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

I got one yesterday, played Wii sports boxing for 6 hours last night. Cannot move a muscle today.

Hakka.

#17 Scorchie™

Scorchie™

Scorchie

• Admin
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

Dannywss - I think your Wii is stuffed, maybe because you modded it.

If you put the sensor bar in the middle under your TV, you will have no reception difficulties. The Wiimote is bluetooth with infrared for pointing.

If you fix your problems, maybe you'll give it 10/10.

Hakka - been there with muscle ache. :)

#18 stahc

stahc

AV Forum Member

• Banned
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

rumour has it that santa will be dropping one off at our place come christmas...................just spent 4 days playing.......oops :wub: watching my daughter play sports at the resort where we were staying................great fun

i'll be back at christmas to apply for membership....................hopefully

#19 Gadzooks

Gadzooks

AV Forum Member

• 61 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:10 AM

Wow, you've got the same setup as me. :lol: Except no PS3 here... :(

What component cable do you have (original, third party)?

Yes, RE4 is meant to be brilliant. I've read it just sold over a million copies. Fingers crossed it goes platinum...

I have the Nintendo component cables, nting.

#20 nting

nting

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:57 AM

Me too. I just bought them last night from GAME. Got them to price match Target's 15% off, so picked them up for $42.45. I haven't had a chance to test them yet, but I'm sure the improvement will be significant. As you say, not to the level of a 360 or PS3 running in 1080p, but still slightly sharper and improved colours.

Also, WOOHOO!! The thread got pinned. :D Big thanks to the mods!

I know this sounds funny, but I've been playing more Gamecube games on the Wii than actual Wii games lately. Maybe it's because I missed out before, but seriously there are some classic Gamecube games that still feel just as good today as they did a few years ago. I'm talking about Mario Kart: Double Dash, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, F-Zero GX... Anyone else also playing Gamecube games?

#21 Doug

Doug

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:21 AM

I have the Wii connected to a Bravia 46X via component cables. It's a lot better than composites and looks pretty good but, obviously, at only 480p it isn't going to look anywhere as good as a PS3 over HDMI. But then again, the Wii is all about fun gameplay and the games don't live or die purely on their graphics.

While I'm posting, I have to put in a plug for Resident Evil 4 - if you are 15+ and don't mind a bit of gore it is the most fantastic game that will keep you busy and interested for weeks and weeks. The Mercenaries mini game is worth the asking price on it's own!

+1 for RE 4. Fantastic game - probably o.k for 12 + as gore is just blood and headless zombies spurting blood upwards !

Anyone playing any multiplayeronline Wii games such as soccer ?

#22 <<AJ>>

<<AJ>>

AV Forum Member

• 54 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

I bought a Wii yesterday - $388 at Kmart, well $299 really but had to buy Ice Age 2 for $89 to get that price.

I have been playing Wii sports all day and now have a sore arm lol

Any one used a third party component cable? Any good? Kmart had the Nintendo one for $40 so I might just have to get it.

#23 GraveDilute

GraveDilute

AV Forum Member

• 198 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

I use a third party cable (ebay) although you can get it cheaper from kaidomain.com

#24 guttermouth

guttermouth

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

Finally after 10 months I have a reason to turn on My Wii.......Yep and its Mario Galaxy............... And well Mario Galaxy is O.k.......For A **** Amazing game. You remember the first time you played Mario 64?? The huge step up from going to 2d platformer to a 3d platformer, and how the game itself blew you away and bought you into a new gamming experience?? Well Galaxy does the exact same thing. Mario Sunshine for me was very same as the last, but Galaxy is a complete new experience and really takes the 3d platformer to a new level. The controls are PERFECT, blows 64 out of the water and are so dam easy to pick-up. The new Bee feature in it is great and the bosses are so damm huge. The first Bowser battle was Shadow of the Collusus HUGE. The worlds look amazing, the are so varied and never seem to repeat, I so far have found Galaxy Faultless......

#25 nting

nting

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:24 AM

AJ - Get the cable from Kmart, that's a good price.

guttermouth - How did you get Galaxy? Has it even been released yet?