• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#151 ijuschill

ijuschill

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

If anyone is after one of these Belkin PF40 or PF60 PureAV™ Home Theatre Power Console

Domayne at Castle Hill have them at half the RRP brand new in boxes but Only in SILVER

PF40 $500 they had 3 of these

PF60 $650 they had 2 of these

#152 Baja Wes

Baja Wes

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

Has anyone tried the Dick Smith units? They are $50 off at the moment. So for $49 you get;
http://www.dse.com.a...duct/View/M7810

I ended up buying 3 of these. I read the warranty while in the store and it says it covers an indirect lightning strike. That sounds pretty fair as I will probably have bigger issues if I have a direct lightning strike go through the house.

#153 Bgirl

Bgirl

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

Hi all,

I am new at this game but would like to assist with a recommendation. I know this topic is about the Belkin Board/s but I can't help but notice there are a few issues missing when wanting to know more about protecting all this nice equipment you guys seem to own. One thing that comes to mind is the Joules in a power board. Lets face it the higher the joule rating the longer the board will absorb the hits, right! The highest joule rating I have come across is a THOR board(6080J), no other manufactuer has come close to it!! Also another very important factor to concider is the Clamping Voltage of each board. All Belkin power boards are at the 710V, come to think of it nearly all power boards have this Clamping Voltage @ 710V. So all of you that have bought this Belkin board are willing to risk a spike even surges this big before the power board is willing to clamp it and let this go through to your exspensive AV equipment, big call!! I haven't seen any piece of AV equipment yet that runs at 710V. What is the REACTION time of the clamping? Less than 1 nano second???(THORS is), or is the DETECTION time less than 1 nanosecond and then the REACTION time is anywhere between 1-5 nanoseconds to clamp such a huge spike or surge. What I suggest is go to your local AV dealer and look at the Specs and really see what you are getting for your dollars and compare quality not the price tag if you guys are really serious. I have a few Thor boards(A12F) and could not be any happier, I'll admit I know a bit about electricity as I am a Sparky(Girl Sparky, and damm proud of it) and my dad is in electronics. Another reason why I like THOR is they are an Australian company, fair enough some of the products are made in China but I do know that all the engineering is conducted here in Australia(WA). A huge plus is that THOR products are Australian Compliant no other board is, which means it is made to Australain Standards(which is a big deal in the Electrical & Electronic industry of Australia).
Warranty is huge for me as I believe is for all of us, but tell me what is a LIFETIME WARRANTY??? Usually either the life of the components in the board or the actual board itself?? or..... when I die and my daughter inherits my board and when she is 70 and the board dies, does that mean she can go back to the manufactuer and get a replacement I doubt she has the sales docket to prove purchase???

Do you ever wonder why there is only Belkin stock in some stores? It's not because they're a great product but the incentives to sell there product is really good, this incentive might not reach the average sales guy/gal on the floor(maybe in some cases it does) but I bet you the sales manager or owner of the store gets a nice kick back, I've even heard of some managers getting perks of overseas trips from suppliers and manufactuers.

Bottom line, from a girl that has her own Australian Electrical and AV Business, that employs a few people, I would love to see guys like yourself really invest in Australian companies that are leaps and bounds infront of the rest. THOR is a great product and its structure and engineering is the best out there, so why wouldn't you spend the exact same amount of money and do yourself and our nation a favour and select Australian companies???????

Thanks guys for taking the time to read my bit, long winded I know but I am passionate about what I do and love it. By the way I think you are all intelligent and have great interpretations of products!!!!

Bgirl

#154 ditroia

ditroia

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

Not sure if your post is meant to be spam, but comparing the specs of the Thor B2 - Home Theatre which I found online for $210, [and only at one retailer] to my Belkin PureAV 6 port, which cost me around $90, [and is available at many places]. Also the Belkin isolator is available for under $200 which should be better.

Thor: Maximum Transient Spike Impulse Current (AMPS) 49,000 amps

Belkin: Maximum Transient Spike Impulse Current (AMPS) 45,000 amps

Thor: Maximum Energy Dissipation (Joules) 1740 Joules

Belkin: Maximum Energy Dissipation (Joules) 1940 Joules

Thor: Reaction Time Less than 1 Nano Sec

Belkin: Reaction Time Less than 1 Nano Sec

Thor: Supply Voltage 240/Vac 50/Hz. Maximum Current Rating 10amps/2400 W (Va)

Belkin: Supply Voltage 250/Vac 50/Hz. Maximum Current Rating 10amps/2400 W (Va)

I think we're all happy to support an Aussie company, but the price has to be comparable, and I'm happy to pay a bit more for something that's Aussie owned. The B2 needs to be around $130 online.

Cheers and Good Luck.

Dave

Edited by ditroia, 19 April 2009 - 11:28 AM.

#155 Bgirl

Bgirl

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

Not sure if your post is meant to be spam, but comparing the specs of the Thor B2 - Home Theatre which I found online for $210, [and only at one retailer] to my Belkin PureAV 6 port, which cost me around $90, [and is available at many places]. Also the Belkin isolator is available for under $200 which should be better.

Thor: Maximum Transient Spike Impulse Current (AMPS) 49,000 amps

Belkin: Maximum Transient Spike Impulse Current (AMPS) 45,000 amps

Thor: Maximum Energy Dissipation (Joules) 1740 Joules

Belkin: Maximum Energy Dissipation (Joules) 1940 Joules

Thor: Reaction Time Less than 1 Nano Sec

Belkin: Reaction Time Less than 1 Nano Sec

Thor: Supply Voltage 240/Vac 50/Hz. Maximum Current Rating 10amps/2400 W (Va)

Belkin: Supply Voltage 250/Vac 50/Hz. Maximum Current Rating 10amps/2400 W (Va)

I think we're all happy to support an Aussie company, but the price has to be comparable, and I'm happy to pay a bit more for something that's Aussie owned. The B2 needs to be around $130 online.

Cheers and Good Luck.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Sorry if this came out as looking as spam I didn't mean for it to look like that. I am just looking at the opportunity to let others like yourself know that there are options other than Belkin out there. I used to use Belkin alot until I found out about THOR, reason being I completed a rather expensive install and had the opportunity to use another product and had been blown away by not only the service but also the quality of product. I had personaly not heard of the THOR B2, only ever used the THOR A12 Smart Board. So thats where I got my comparisons from, I will have to ask what happened to the B2??? Maybe I am an overly proud Aussie chick that loves Australian owned, could be a curse!! But thanks to having your say as it does bring up some good points, I do understand that price is a big factor in alot of our buys I just hope people are getting bang for thier bucks.

Kind wishes,

Bgirl

#156 ditroia

ditroia

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

Maybe I am an overly proud Aussie chick that loves Australian owned, could be a curse!! But thanks to having your say as it does bring up some good points, I do understand that price is a big factor in alot of our buys I just hope people are getting bang for thier bucks.

Kind wishes,

Bgirl

Hi Bgirl, can you give me a site where I can purchase their stuff, If it looks ok I'll consider them for the future.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by ditroia, 20 April 2009 - 11:16 AM.

#157 Bgirl

Bgirl

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

Hi Bgirl, can you give me a site where I can purchase their stuff, If it looks ok I'll consider them for the future.

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks again for looking at my post. I have to say I get my boards from Thor directly as I use them in all the installs my company does, but where I first saw them was at a local Harvey Norman store near me, don't know if they still sell them though, they seem to be as rare as hens teeth(if you know what I mean)!!! I spoke to one of the reps yesterday about who stocks their range and he stated that they have good relations with dedicated AV stores, but they are trying to get into the major retail market but have trouble as big major brands have done deals to get in there. This is what makes me so mad, it really doesn't matter what Aussie company is out there trying to get a name for themselves they always seem to be overlooked because of price, anyway one day we maight see a change. Have a great and humbled ANZAC day to all on Saturday and look forward to hearing from you soon Dave.

Kind regards,

Bgirl

#158 ditroia

ditroia

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

Hey Dave,

Thanks again for looking at my post. I have to say I get my boards from Thor directly as I use them in all the installs my company does, but where I first saw them was at a local Harvey Norman store near me, don't know if they still sell them though, they seem to be as rare as hens teeth(if you know what I mean)!!! I spoke to one of the reps yesterday about who stocks their range and he stated that they have good relations with dedicated AV stores, but they are trying to get into the major retail market but have trouble as big major brands have done deals to get in there. This is what makes me so mad, it really doesn't matter what Aussie company is out there trying to get a name for themselves they always seem to be overlooked because of price, anyway one day we maight see a change. Have a great and humbled ANZAC day to all on Saturday and look forward to hearing from you soon Dave.

Kind regards,

Bgirl

You should talk to them and get them to set up an e-store on their web site. That way the customer gets cheaper prices and Thor don't have to worry about the middleman.

Cheers

Dave

#159 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:29 PM

I bought one of these online and it arrived today.

Was mainly buying for a bit of protection for the Elektra that's on it's way, and because I figured running the electra, avr, sub and source off a crappy $5 power board was probably a "bad idea".

I must admit I scoffed at some of the posts here talking about increased PQ or SQ when using one of these boards, but I have to take it back. I honestly believe that the sound coming from my setup is "cleaner" now that it's all plugged into this board.

And at $170 delivered from www.betterit.com.au it was a bargain.

#160 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

All I know is Belkin will not cover any damages if you don't plug the board directly into the wall.

And they also don't cover you if you use an extension lead between the board and a connected piece of equipment.

#161 clubbyr8

clubbyr8

AV Forum Member

• 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

Hey Dave,

Kind regards,

Bgirl

I agree with Bgirl. I wanted more than what the Belkin PF60 could offer. I wanted something that would give me a constant 240v as well as giving me clean power and surge protection. I did some research and came up with the Thor PS10 and an extra A12 power board. I convinced my local Domayne (Penrith) store to get it in for me and got them to contact the local NSW rep for Thor Technologies.

I'm extremely happy with what I've bought and can't recommend Thor Technologies highly enough. I know Len Wallis recommends them.

#162 smileyone

smileyone

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:05 AM

You should talk to them and get them to set up an e-store on their web site. That way the customer gets cheaper prices and Thor don't have to worry about the middleman.

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave,

Kind regards,

Bgirl

Hey Bgirl and Dave,

Can you have a look and let me know what you think in here or PM? Electrical & AV Protection » Protection Devices Only thing is that prices are ex gst until checkout page.

Kind Regards,
Greg

#163 Mr Bean

Mr Bean

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:05 PM

Hi, just would like to let you know, whoever interested to get Belkin Isolator as in the original post, JB hifi Macquarie Centre sells this item for AUD 150. I just bought myself one... Just tell them BetterIt (as in AndrewW's post) sells them for AUD 150, JB will match it.

Edited by Mr Bean, 09 June 2009 - 03:11 PM.

#164 Hansel

Hansel

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

Hi all :)

Went looking for one of these after reading the thread and just made a but of an impulse buy in JB :D. They didn't have the one in the OP, but they did have the bg108200au2m. They had it for $189 and I wasn't really considering it but then some guy wondered over and said I could have it for $145. I gave it a thorough read and it has the unlimited warranty, and the unlimited connected equipment warranty so I figured why not :)

It has a gimickly wireless remote which I'll never use, but was just after some opinions from you guys before I unpack and start using it ;)

Thanks!

#165 atlas01

atlas01

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

Anyone heard of Cabac? I got one of their Power Surge Protector boards...

- 3444 Joule protection, using massive ganged MOV’s
- Maximum spike current 144,000A
- Maximum spike voltage 6KV
- Full line protection L-N, N-E, L-E
- Clamping voltage 710V
- Response time < 1 Nanosecond

LED displays advise
- Protection circuit is working
- Board is correctly earthed, or protection cannot work

. Four of the outlets are widely spaced for power packs
. Noise protection capacitor 0.47µF

Phone/ADSL line protection:
- MOV protected 160 Joules
- Clamping voltage 395V
- Three RJ12 jacks 1 in 2 out

Cord length 1.8m

http://www.cabac.com...c/prodinfo/PB80

Edited by atlas01, 25 August 2009 - 10:07 PM.

#166 BigDave

BigDave

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:49 AM

Just to let you know that The Good Guys in Osborne Park, Perth, sell Thor powerboards. Just bought two myself (one for a mate). They have the a12 retailing at $199, but you can get it cheaper than that if you ask. Just thought people would want to know. Remember that all Good Guys are franchised so some may stock while others don't.

#167 paulisdead

paulisdead

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

I have one of these connected to my SONY 46XLCD I am slightly disappointed to discover that whenever someone in the house turns a light switch on/off I get a sound (and sometimes picture) dropout for a split second. I thought having one of these would fix this problem.
This sounds like something interfering on the RF (inbuilt digital tuner) side to me not your mains power. Do you live in a marginal signal area, what is your digital reception generally like?

This sounds like something interfering on the RF (inbuilt digital tuner) side to me not your mains power. Do you live in a marginal signal area, what is your digital reception generally like?

Digital reception could not be better. 10 out of 10. Happens when viewing through Toppy also. I must admit it's not 'everytime' a switch is used but most times.

I have the exact same problem - did you find an answer? I've tried running the RF through a serge protection broad but it still happens. I'm running a normal RF cable into a wall socket which is running 700 ohm cable to a roof antenna (I have no idea what it is as live in an apartment and it's on the roof).

Edited by paulisdead, 18 November 2009 - 03:59 PM.

#168 Spero D.

Spero D.

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

OT- But Qualifi is now distributing the PSAudio Range here in Australia which is good news as I was looking at getting their Audiophile UPS the PowerPack 1500-

http://www.psaudio.c...-1500?cat=power

#169 atlas01

atlas01

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

So does anyone know the cheapest place to get one of these F9G823au3M in Melb?

Alternatively, how does the surge protection in that unit compare to the F9G823au2M? I don't really need the power filtering capabilities, so perhaps this one would be sufficient. Officeworks sell them, and I can get them to price match $95 taking it down to about $90 odd dollars which doesn't seem too bad.

#170 palangitoy

palangitoy

AV Forum Member

• 20 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

So does anyone know the cheapest place to get one of these F9G823au3M in Melb?

Alternatively, how does the surge protection in that unit compare to the F9G823au2M? I don't really need the power filtering capabilities, so perhaps this one would be sufficient. Officeworks sell them, and I can get them to price match $95 taking it down to about $90 odd dollars which doesn't seem too bad.

Check out http://www.betterit....dproduct=107037 It's 30% off RRP. Note, $15 for minimum fee for delivery Victoria.

Happy with the product. Can notice the difference in the picture quality on TV. Haven't really tested out the audio side of things if it makes a noticeable differece.

#171 All_Motor

All_Motor

AV Forum Member

• 25 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

Great work guys, thread helped heaps

#172 Munners96

Munners96

AV Forum Member

• 15 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

I'm a bit confused.

In relation to Belkin 'Isolators' and 'Surge Protectors', do Isolators offer the same level of surge protection etc?

Looking for something to plug the LCD TV, PVR, DVD, Media Centre and Sound System into.

#173 unclenabe

unclenabe

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

Any idea whats the cheapest F9G823au3M available in PERTH, WA ???

Need one urgently Thanks!

#174 CHRIS08

CHRIS08

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:49 PM

sorry to bring up a old topic. I just have quick query. I have 2 belkin pureav surge protectors, the one in the lounge rooms connected light which is green isnt as bright as the earthed light. The unit in my bedroom both lights are the same brightness. Is there anything to be worried about in regards to the lounge room unit. Cheers.

#175 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

sorry to bring up a old topic. I just have quick query. I have 2 belkin pureav surge protectors, the one in the lounge rooms connected light which is green isnt as bright as the earthed light. The unit in my bedroom both lights are the same brightness. Is there anything to be worried about in regards to the lounge room unit. Cheers.

http://www.belkin.com/au/support/ ?