• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#126 aafuss

aafuss

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

We have a couple of these in our home-and they have been very good, protected our AV euipment from surges.

#127 James Sanders

James Sanders

AV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

Hi All,

This is my first post on DTV, but I regularly read the site for tips and such...

I'm looking at getting a one of the Belkin Pure AV 8 Way Isolators - I found it here http://www.betterit....idproduct=87869 for $151 and $15 postage to Melbourne - which seems like a reasonable price.

But I would like to clarify three things first:

1. I have a Fujitsu PDS4241W plasma which makes a pretty decent buzzing sound sometimes, could this be due to power supply and therefore be helped with a good power board? If you know why the buzzing happens, feel free to let me know...
2. Is this really going to improve picture quality on my plasma?
3. The Belkin has an ADSL/phone in plug and two out plugs. Does this mean that if I plug in a LAN cable from my router that it will work as a router and give me an extra internet LAN plug? Is it 100mbps?

I would really like your help - whenever I ask staff at a Harvey Norman (etc) I never really trust their advice...

Thanks,
James

#128 Riv39

Riv39

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:48 AM

Hi All,

This is my first post on DTV, but I regularly read the site for tips and such...

I'm looking at getting a one of the Belkin Pure AV 8 Way Isolators - I found it here http://www.betterit....idproduct=87869 for $151 and $15 postage to Melbourne - which seems like a reasonable price.

But I would like to clarify three things first:

1. I have a Fujitsu PDS4241W plasma which makes a pretty decent buzzing sound sometimes, could this be due to power supply and therefore be helped with a good power board? If you know why the buzzing happens, feel free to let me know...
3. The Belkin has an ADSL/phone in plug and two out plugs. Does this mean that if I plug in a LAN cable from my router that it will work as a router and give me an extra internet LAN plug? Is it 100mbps?

I would really like your help - whenever I ask staff at a Harvey Norman (etc) I never really trust their advice...

Thanks,
James

James
In answer to your questions:

1/ I don't believe the board will do anything for the buzzing on your plasma;

2/ No, the board is for over-voltage/surge (e.g. lightning etc) protection;

3/ No, these outlets provide over-voltage/surge protection for a phone line and have nothing to do with a LAN connection for your PC. They are meant to protect your ADSL modem or cordless phone etc. The reason there are two outlets is so that you can protect two devices connected to the one telephone outlet.

Edited by Riv39, 20 October 2008 - 05:00 PM.

#129 tableturns

tableturns

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

It improved the picture quality on my Sony 50" lcd whether it does the same for your plasma I don't know. They do boast cleaner power, cleaner picture and better audio, didn't notice any difference to the audio.

I bought it because of the unlimited warranty and for the insurance given on items connected to it (my insurance company was a bit hazy when it came to power surges and lightning) and I guess I won't find out how good that insurance is until I to have to claim against it.

Seems like a good price if you do buy it let us know if it improved your picture or fixed the noise from the plasma.

#130 grantc84

grantc84

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

I think I will defenetly have to get one of these or similar once I get my setup all connected. Im planning on mounting everything up on a shelf on the wall below the tv so there wont be a cabinet to hide it. Anybody use the Belkin Power Consoles?

#131 unclewhimsy

unclewhimsy

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:59 AM

I have one of these connected to my SONY 46XLCD I am slightly disappointed to discover that whenever someone in the house turns a light switch on/off I get a sound (and sometimes picture) dropout for a split second. I thought having one of these would fix this problem.

#132 Riv39

Riv39

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

I have one of these connected to my SONY 46XLCD I am slightly disappointed to discover that whenever someone in the house turns a light switch on/off I get a sound (and sometimes picture) dropout for a split second. I thought having one of these would fix this problem.

This sounds like something interfering on the RF (inbuilt digital tuner) side to me not your mains power. Do you live in a marginal signal area, what is your digital reception generally like?

#133 unclewhimsy

unclewhimsy

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:50 AM

This sounds like something interfering on the RF (inbuilt digital tuner) side to me not your mains power. Do you live in a marginal signal area, what is your digital reception generally like?

Digital reception could not be better. 10 out of 10. Happens when viewing through Toppy also. I must admit it's not 'everytime' a switch is used but most times.

#134 doobie1

doobie1

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:40 PM

The OP was talking about the model no. F9G823au3M. I see CoreComputers sell that one also but at $209.95+$49.95 courier to WA it's a bit pricy. Anyone found one in WA at a better price?

Just saw this price for F9G823au2M ($95) and under $20 post to perth.
http://www.mtechcomp...roducts_id=1800
http://www.mtechcomp...au/shipping.php

#135 tableturns

tableturns

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:28 AM

Just saw this price for F9G823au2M ($95) and under $20 post to perth.
http://www.mtechcomp...roducts_id=1800
http://www.mtechcomp...au/shipping.php

No this is a different model "3M" is the Pure AV with an aluminium casing http://catalog.belki...ction_Id=207103 the "2M" is the Gold? series. Slight difference in number big difference in product.

Edit: add web link

Edited by tableturns, 13 November 2008 - 05:42 AM.

#136 MOPAR_or_NoCar

MOPAR_or_NoCar

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

I have had one of the large alloy bodied models for a few years now, relative works for Belkin!!, the first thing I noticed was the 50Hz hum was gone from my powered Sub!!..bloody awesome bit of kit, can't recommend them enough, the insurance is legit, if damaged they will replace everything attached.

#137 brake

brake

AV Forums Member

• 2,186 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Hey guys, all these technical questions, i feel like a dimwit asking this but:

About those surge cubes (link at bottom of post) do i plug my current surge protect into the cube, then the cube into the wall? because the instructions for the surge protector (4 plug belkin one) says it should only ever be plugged directly into the wall with no leads adaptors or extensions.

Also what happens if i plug a regular power board (non surge protector) into the surge cube then the cube to the wall? what leve of protection will that give?

Thanks a bunch from newbie tying to learn :/

link to the surge cubes:
http://web.belkin.co...amp;search=cube

Edited by brake, 06 February 2009 - 02:58 PM.

#138 brake

brake

AV Forums Member

• 2,186 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:54 AM

About those surge cubes (link at bottom of post) do i plug my current surge protect into the cube, then the cube into the wall? because the instructions for the surge protector (4 plug belkin one) says it should only ever be plugged directly into the wall with no leads adaptors or extensions.

Also what happens if i plug a regular power board (non surge protector) into the surge cube then the cube to the wall? what leve of protection will that give?

link to the surge cubes:

anyone? thanks....

#139 Black Dawg Down

Black Dawg Down

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

All I know is Belkin will not cover any damages if you don't plug the board directly into the wall.

#140 shrek

shrek

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:53 AM

link to the surge cubes:

If, say, you connect a 4 way powerboard to a surge cube and have all 4 components on, the surge cube might not be able to handle a surge/ spike if it is bad enough.

I dare say that Belkin probably wouldn't honor the warranty either.

#141 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

Whats the best place / cheapest to buy a Belkin PureAV Surge Boards these days?? After the 4 Board and possible the 6 Board as well

#142 ditroia

ditroia

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:42 AM

Got mine from here:

http://www.techbuy.c.../F9A623AU2M.asp

Good Store.

Found using http://www.staticice.com.au/index.html

Cheers

Dave

#143 MOPAR_or_NoCar

MOPAR_or_NoCar

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:26 AM

Brake, I live in the Sydney (The Broke State) and the huge blackout that shut down the whole city is a clear sign our power isn't to be trusted or being maintained properly as that costs money!...buy a 8 port model, yep they cost a lot, but its cheap insurance to power spikes and surges, I would hate to think of the damage bill from power surges when they restored power last week!! The cost also has built in insurance also.

#144 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Is this ok to do with the Belkin PureAV surge protectors?

Can you add an extension lead to make the Belkin PureAV cord reach your destination as most only have a 2m cord (1 has a 3m cord but I dont have that one).

Would this do anything to the protection etc??

Hope to hear from someone soon

Zoidy

#145 Riv39

Riv39

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

Is this ok to do with the Belkin PureAV surge protectors?

Can you add an extension lead to make the Belkin PureAV cord reach your destination as most only have a 2m cord (1 has a 3m cord but I dont have that one).

Would this do anything to the protection etc??

Hope to hear from someone soon

Zoidy

Well the only potential problem you are introducing is changing the quality of your earth which can be important for surge protection (depending on the nature of the fault condition e.g. active to neutral or active to earth etc.). You will also most likely be lowering the size of the conductors, which in the GPO, will be a minimum of 2.5mm and the extension lead could be anything from the same to much smaller. You will also be introducing more length which can also make a difference.

Will it work......probably, will it work as well for surge protection........unkown as there are so many variables.

You may also be voiding your Belkin insurance, you would need to read the fine print and maybe check with them as well. Although I have always wondered how they can tell what your connection setup was after the event. I have never had to put a claim in (touch wood) to date so I have no experience.

#146 blue2th

blue2th

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

i got this baby here - for $400 discounted from $599 from JB. I like the "integrated" look with my HT setup and the fact that i don't have a extension "board" on the floor.

it's basically got 7 power points, 3 always on (PVR etc), 3 that can be turned off and 1 for stuff like A/V receiver with a slight delay.
antenna/foxtel, phone and ethernet filters too. it's ideal when you would otherwise connect all these appliances (incl cordless phones) and minimises interference in addition to providing surge protection.

Couldn't recommend it more.

http://www.belkin.co...oduct_Id=254750

there's a model up, not sure of the street price as i have not seen one, but sure looks the part!

http://www.belkin.co...oduct_Id=254758

#147 Baja Wes

Baja Wes

AV Forums Member

• 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

Has anyone tried the Dick Smith units? They are $50 off at the moment. So for $49 you get;
http://www.dse.com.a...duct/View/M7810

Posted Image

* Surge protection for 8 mains outlets, phone line and TV coaxial cable
* Powerful 2,000J surge absorption rating
* Includes phone & coax patch cables

Provides surge protection for 8 mains outlets plus a phone line and TV coaxial cable socket. Includes coil⁄capacitor EMI filtering, 6 heavy-duty MOVs, varistor and gas discharge arrestors, protection status indicators, 10A circuit breaker plus 2,000 Joule and 60,000A maximum mains surge current rating. Incl. 1.8m phone & F-type coax patch cables. Lifetime guarantee, $100,000 connected equipment warranty.

* $100,000 Connected Equipment Warranty*
* Lifetime Guarantee*
* No. of Outlets:8
* Joule Rating Range: 2,000J
* Maximum Spike Current (Amps): 60,000A
* EMI Filter Capacitors :1 - Capacitor
* Noise Reduction Coil : 2 Bar Chokes
* Surge Protection Indicator (Neon Lamp) : Yes
* Ground Wiring Protection Indicator (Neon Lamp): Yes
* Fax Surge Protection (6P2C, 1 pair protected):Yes (1 In 1 Out)
* Coaxial Surge Protection : Yes (with gold plated jack)
* Power Shutdown Feature:Yes
* RED Lighted Rocker Switch (Neon Lamp): 1
* 10A Circuit Breaker : Yes
* 1.8-metre Phone Cable : 1 fitted with 2 x 6P4C Plugs
* 1.8-metre Coaxial Cable : 1 fitted with 2 x F plugs
* Not to be used with inverters or generators.
* Please refer to instruction sheet for conditions.

All Connected Equipment Warranty Claims must be notified within 14 days by phoning 1300 660054 and requesting a claim form or by writing to:
DSE Holdings Pty Ltd
Surge Protection Device - Warranty Claim
PO Box 500
Regents Park DC NSW 2143

#148 fat

fat

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

Couldn't recommend it more.

http://www.belkin.co...oduct_Id=254750

there's a model up, not sure of the street price as i have not seen one, but sure looks the part!

http://www.belkin.co...oduct_Id=254758

There is also another model up from that one, the PF60. I picked up a PF60 a while ago and got the guy down to $790 on it.

#149 blue2th

blue2th

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

There is also another model up from that one, the PF60. I picked up a PF60 a while ago and got the guy down to $790 on it.

saw that on the web too. how do you like it? $790 is a good price seeing as how the RRP is like $1,299!!!
any improvements/difference that you notice (e.g. reduction in "noise")?

#150 fat

fat

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

saw that on the web too. how do you like it? $790 is a good price seeing as how the RRP is like $1,299!!!
any improvements/difference that you notice (e.g. reduction in "noise")?

It is hard to say how much of an improvement there is as I moved into a new house at the same time I picked it up. The house is old and the wiring is pretty dodgy from what I have seen but there does not seem to be any noise on the screen or through the speakers at all so I would say that it is doing a good job