• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 turntable

turntable

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:40 PM

I have seen the PURE/AV range by Belkin of Surge protector's in the shop's for the last few years and on Tuesday finally took the plunge to buy one as Dick Smith had them on sale for $198, down from $298.

It is the F9G823au3M that has 8 sockets in the nice aluminium case. See attached link
http://catalog.belki...oduct_Id=184722

IT has 8 sockets, inputs for your aerial, cable/Foxtel and ADSL/Broadband connection.

I plugged my plasma, HD PVR, Hard Drive/DVD recorder, Foxtel box, VCR, antenna booster, Aerial cable, foxtel cable and switched on the TV.

Well to my surprise, FTA HD TV PQ looks cleaner and clearer and also Foxtel PQ looks cleaner and clearer than before. Even my wife who rolled her eyes when I bought the powerboard agreed that the TV PQ looks better.

I have bought a similar device for $129 before and it did not work well at all and I took it back.

This works well and is a keeper. Highly recommended!!

#2 VIO

VIO

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:48 PM

I have seen the PURE/AV range by Belkin of Surge protector's in the shop's for the last few years and on Tuesday finally took the plunge to buy one as Dick Smith had them on sale for $198, down from $298.

It is the F9G823au3M that has 8 sockets in the nice aluminium case. See attached link
http://catalog.belki...oduct_Id=184722

IT has 8 sockets, inputs for your aerial, cable/Foxtel and ADSL/Broadband connection.
I plugged my plasma, HD PVR, Hard Drive/DVD recorder, Foxtel box, VCR, antenna booster, Aerial cable, foxtel cable and switched on the TV.

Well to my surprise, FTA HD TV PQ looks cleaner and clearer and also Foxtel PQ looks cleaner and clearer than before. Even my wife who rolled her eyes when I bought the powerboard agreed that the TV PQ looks better.

I have bought a similar device for $129 before and it did not work well at all and I took it back.

This works well and is a keeper. Highly recommended!!

Best Investment you can make.The best thing about Belkin is they have a great after sales support...I have two at home.I had some bad storms a couple of years ago and boards did there job in protecting my equipment,unfortunately boards got damaged in the process.But no worries i rang belkin and within 4 days i had two new boards arrive at my door step...and they replaced them with brand new models.They claim you get a life time waranty,and so far they are true to there word...

#3 crossy@home

crossy@home

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:58 AM

Hi Turntable,

Good to see your report, very interesting. Please be aware though, that they won't protect properly if there is any problem with the earthing of the power point it is plugged into or the earth system of your house and in the event of a lightning storm in your area the only true protection is to unplug everything including all antenna connections.

Good Luck,

Rob.

#4 defnk

defnk

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:03 AM

Hi guys,

Silly questions to follow...
How do the TV aerial sockets in a surge board work?

How is it meant to be wired?

Is it 2 cables :

1 / Roof Antenna -> Wall socket -> Aerial input on Surge Board
and
2/ Aerial output from Surge Board -> TV / STB / PVR

??

Thanks!

#5 jakes

jakes

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:11 AM

Hi guys,

Silly questions to follow...
How do the TV aerial sockets in a surge board work?

How is it meant to be wired?

Is it 2 cables :

1 / Roof Antenna -> Wall socket -> Aerial input on Surge Board
and
2/ Aerial output from Surge Board -> TV / STB / PVR

??

Thanks!

Yep that's right. Cable from wall socket into powerboard. 2nd cable out of powerboard into your receiving device.

#6 defnk

defnk

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:13 AM

Yep that's right. Cable from wall socket into powerboard. 2nd cable out of powerboard into your receiving device.

Thank you!

#7 larry

larry

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:48 AM

i've seen this unit on sale at digitalyes for $170

i bought a couple of these in the past very cheap , about $130 i think via a nindeals
i have been quite happy with them

Edited by larry, 18 October 2007 - 11:52 AM.

#8 BrisBails

BrisBails

AV Forum Member

• 41 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:42 PM

i bought a couple of these in the past very cheap , about $130 i think via a nindeals

I got mine from digitalyes $155, $170 delivered. Very happy with service and price!!, got it in 2 days.

I read one thing about surge protectors, you have to ensure they have a fast responce time - ie the electronics will cut out under 1ns, but when I was looking, most of the $150 and below boards have responce times greater than 5ns - apparently this provides little or no protection. The belkin board is around 1ns.

Edited by BrisBails, 18 October 2007 - 09:21 PM.

#9 tedstar_1

tedstar_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

Hi Turntable,

Good to see your report, very interesting. Please be aware though, that they won't protect properly if there is any problem with the earthing of the power point it is plugged into or the earth system of your house and in the event of a lightning storm in your area the only true protection is to unplug everything including all antenna connections.

Good Luck,

Rob.

So on the power baord if it shows "earthed" it is ok and under warranty?

#10 crossy@home

crossy@home

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:33 PM

What is the explanation in the product handbook for the 'earthed' display?

I base my comments on the knowledge that during a lightning storm, strange and sometimes inconsistant things happen with induced voltages and currents. A direct attachment (strike) or even a near miss can sometimes be beyond the capacity of any protection circuit, so the only way to be sure of protection is to unplug everything even the antenna.

Rob.

#11 jimmmy

jimmmy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:32 AM

ditto to both statements.

shop around as they can be found much cheaper than $300 or even $200

cheers

James

#12 ray888

ray888

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:59 PM

My only complaint is that the antenna sockets are raised and easily bent. Maybe Belkin might consider making them recessed.

#13 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:41 PM

I noticed that people are calling this a surge protector , however belkin are selling it primarily as an isolator and i can't find anywhere that it actually says that it protects against surges, I will be getting one of these regardless for the isolator but i wonder if i should also invest in a good surge protector . The sparky i had here the otherday said i was wasting my time using the isolator as a surge protector and told me that if i choose to use it that i should still get a high quality single plug surge protector to plug my pure av into

Can anyone confirm this or let me know their thoughts on this please ?

Edited by Fallen Angel, 03 November 2007 - 12:42 PM.

#14 Vortical

Vortical

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

I noticed that people are calling this a surge protector , however belkin are selling it primarily as an isolator and i can't find anywhere that it actually says that it protects against surges, I will be getting one of these regardless for the isolator but i wonder if i should also invest in a good surge protector . The sparky i had here the otherday said i was wasting my time using the isolator as a surge protector and told me that if i choose to use it that i should still get a high quality single plug surge protector to plug my pure av into
Can anyone confirm this or let me know their thoughts on this please ?

Did you even read the product description on the website?
As for your sparky I have no idea why he would have said that.

The PureAV Isolator from Belkin offers power protection for home theatre, audio/video, and digital entertainment components. This new offering provides the best surge protection available, using intricate circuitry that we've encased in rugged, fire-resistant metal. Offering the highest joule ratings and superior features, the PureAV's key advantage is power filter technology (PFT).

PFT uses varying power filter levels to isolate and contain power line noise within individual pairs of receptacle banks. It provides the highest-quality protection available from overvoltages, and safeguards your sensitive home entertainment components from power line contamination, known as electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI).

Advantages
Unlimited Connected Equipment Warranty
3m Heavy-Duty Power Cord delivers clean power through 14-gauge wiring.
Isolator Filter Technology (PFT)-Isolates contamination to prevent AC and EMI/RFI to help provide quality sound and picture
Satellite, Cable TV, Antenna Coaxial Protection-Protects connected components with two pairs of gold coaxial connectors designed to improve signal; also protects cable modems
Diagnostic Indicator Lights-Warns of power problem before equipment is connected
Lifetime Warranty

Edited by Vortical, 03 November 2007 - 12:51 PM.

#15 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:45 AM

Yes I did read their website and tbh i am surprised so many haven't looked deeper into this , I was told by a professional sparky that these didn't protect against heavy surges and last night the same electrician proved it to my by sending a surge to one of these units , it managed to fry the test adsl modem we had in there so tbh i am glad that i didn't the trust of my tv into it
, I will be taking the fried unit back on Monday to get my money back however will getting one for the other purposes it serves
I will be testing out belkins "Cube power Surge " which is supposed to handle over a 30k surge then run the isolator through that .

Gotta say that i am deeply shocked these came so highly recommended yet clearly didn't live up to my expectations, i was told they would EASLY handle a 5 k surge which in hindsight is actually on the LOWER end of what you will get come down your line if there is a bad surge

At the end of the day it does seem to improve the picute quality but doesn't have the surge protection level it claims, so if people are happy to actually try and claim the insurance that belkin supplies if anything goes wrong then by all means take the risk with this item but imo it would be silly to use this without a good surge protector and also remember to replace the protector after it trips off as it simply doesn't provide the same level of protection the first time around

Edited by Fallen Angel, 04 November 2007 - 08:46 AM.

#16 Vortical

Vortical

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

Yes I did read their website and tbh i am surprised so many haven't looked deeper into this , I was told by a professional sparky that these didn't protect against heavy surges and last night the same electrician proved it to my by sending a surge to one of these units , it managed to fry the test adsl modem we had in there so tbh i am glad that i didn't the trust of my tv into it
, I will be taking the fried unit back on Monday to get my money back however will getting one for the other purposes it serves
I will be testing out belkins "Cube power Surge " which is supposed to handle over a 30k surge then run the isolator through that .

Gotta say that i am deeply shocked these came so highly recommended yet clearly didn't live up to my expectations, i was told they would EASLY handle a 5 k surge which in hindsight is actually on the LOWER end of what you will get come down your line if there is a bad surge

At the end of the day it does seem to improve the picute quality but doesn't have the surge protection level it claims, so if people are happy to actually try and claim the insurance that belkin supplies if anything goes wrong then by all means take the risk with this item but imo it would be silly to use this without a good surge protector and also remember to replace the protector after it trips off as it simply doesn't provide the same level of protection the first time around

I'm surprised your sparky would go to this length just to prove a point, doesn't his time cost you especially for a night visit which is extremely unusual? How exactly did he create the surge too?
And if your sparky did prove it fried the test adsl modem why are you not testing the warranty?

My equipment has been protected with this isolator for quite a few years now without any issues.

Edited by Vortical, 04 November 2007 - 11:10 AM.

#17 alexcolgan

alexcolgan

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Hello,

I have just got one of these and would like to know if it is possible to use an F type splitter to split the output signal from the surge protector into more than one TV.

Also are the other arial sockets for audio signals as when I put the tv signal through them the picture is terrible and full of white bands.

cheers alex

#18 Jeff T

Jeff T

AV Forum Member

• 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:15 AM

I've wondered about the effectiveness of these things too.

I figure that even if they're not as effective as it's claimed they are, the lifetime warranty on the board alone is pretty good. And the connected equipment warranty offers good peace of mind.

I bought one a few days ago and it hasn't changed the picture quality at all, not that I expected it to. I was actually a little worried that it would make TV reception worse, but that's not the case either.

But for $125, I'm glad I bought it. It's only $20 more than the 8-socket pureav surge protector, so to me it makes sense to get one if you're after surge protection and some isolation.

#19 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:32 PM

I'm surprised your sparky would go to this length just to prove a point, doesn't his time cost you especially for a night visit which is extremely unusual? How exactly did he create the surge too?
And if your sparky did prove it fried the test adsl modem why are you not testing the warranty?

My equipment has been protected with this isolator for quite a few years now without any issues.

The sparky is a very good friend hence him sticking to his guns on the advise and offering to prove it to me He is here most nights anyways so it cost me a few beers ( after the work) lol , as to how he created the surge i couldn't tell you besides from somthing in the back of his truck, he got me to unplug every bit of electronics in the house except the isolator and the modem it was connected to, he went out to the fuse box and did whatever it was he did to surge the house and after it was all said and done the modem was fried. As for why we went to the effort well i think thats just obious I will be plugging several thousand dollars into the isolator when it's actually in it's intended use so the effort of doing this then going back the next day to get a new one at no cost AND a surge cube was absolutly worth it.

If your equipment has lasted a few years protected then it hasn't been hit buy a bad enough surge before if ever which is fantastic or it's been hit a few times and it's offering you a false sense of security , because all surge protectors are no-where near as effective by the second surge , let alone third.

Everyone has their own preferences and level of expections , Personally I would rather replace a $50 surge cube after it surges like your supposed to as appose to replacing a 140 dollar powerboard or have it hit with something it can't handle then trying to collect insurance from belkin adding the inconvenience of not having the goods. What you choose to do is your own choice , I have nothing to gain by getting you to change your mind lol but i think that it is important that someone that has actually tested the surge abilities of this unit make his comments known so that others have that information when making their choice.

It's a great Isolator but i can't say much for it's surge protection abilities. Am sure anyone on a slightly buggy generator or in a bad area would go though hell with a unit like this unless adding a surge protector before the isolator board , allot of people here from what i have seen have systems WELL over 10k and so to not spend 40 bux on decent protection is silly imo

#20 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

At the end of the day it does seem to improve the picture quality but doesn't have the surge protection level it claims, so if people are happy to actually try and claim the insurance that belkin supplies if anything goes wrong then by all means take the risk with this item but imo it would be silly to use this without a good surge protector and also remember to replace the protector after it trips off as it simply doesn't provide the same level of protection the first time around

Extreme surges like lightning strikes to the mains cable entering your house will only be dumped to earth by switchboard mounted arrestors. Powerboard type divertors haven't a hope of taking a hit like that but they don't claim to either. The smaller surges that the switchboard mounted arrestor disregards will be taken care of by a device like the Belkin unit. Basically for maximum protection you need both installed.

Your sparky appears to know very little about this type of property protection. But then again I deal with these guys on a daily basis so I'm not surprised.

#21 turntable

turntable

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

I would have to say I have no idea what you are talking about.

The Surge protector I bought and reviewed has up to 4720 joules of surge protection and has $$$ unlimited warranty if damaged while connected.

Your so called Belkin Cube power surge - see link http://web.belkin.co...amp;search=cube
seems to only have surge protection of 1034 joules and stops at $150,000 protection.

I have a feeling the unit I bought is somewhat better.

BTW, I acdtually did not buy the unit for any type of surge protection - it was more for the 8 connections with the aerial, braodband, adsl connections and all I was hoping that it would do no harm That it looked better and actually has surge protection with $$ unlimited protection is a bonus

Good luck with your 1034 joules cube, I'll stick with my 4 x better model.

cheers

Edited by turntable, 05 November 2007 - 11:00 PM.

#22 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:47 PM

Belkin have more than just the home series which like most home series items would be the bottom of the line,

I simply warned people of the same thing i was warned of and shown. If you want to be ignorant and argue the point then fry your sets cause really it makes no difference to my system for 40 dollars more i have BOTH protecting my system and definite piece of mind, I still have all the advantages of the isolator including the warranty i doubt belkin have come good on too many times i am just not so closed minded as to see that mabey it may be designed to do one thing more effectively than another to save on costs , the test i did cost me a test modem which was free anyways but if it had been my tv, av reciver , media center ect i would have been right pissed off as i am sure other people here would be

Your never going to know before it's too late if it really does what it says unless you test it I had someone take the time to do it for me cause it's not a specialty of mine and I thought it was an interesting find but now wish i had just kept it to myself because a decent group of people would have just taken the results on board not just take a bite at the person that went to the effort of doing the test which i am sure not many of you if any have bothered to do.

#23 Jeff T

Jeff T

AV Forum Member

• 32 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:18 AM

Fallen Angel,

What's this $40 surge cube that you're talking about? Do you have a link? If I follow you correctly, it just plugs into the wall?

I've been wondering about the effectiveness of these surge protectors myself, and whether or not there's a better way of going about it.

As for the warranty issues, all I can go by is people on this forum and others since I don't personally know anyone who's had a problem. But I've read nothing but good things about people claiming warranty.

#24 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forum Member

• 4,265 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:35 AM

Extreme surges like lightning strikes to the mains cable entering your house will only be dumped to earth by switchboard mounted arrestors. Powerboard type divertors haven't a hope of taking a hit like that but they don't claim to either. The smaller surges that the switchboard mounted arrestor disregards will be taken care of by a device like the Belkin unit. Basically for maximum protection you need both installed.

Your sparky appears to know very little about this type of property protection. But then again I deal with these guys on a daily basis so I'm not surprised.

Interesting your comments about the use of both types in circuit, I remember going to several seminars many moons ago and was told that cascading surge protectors lowered the performance to the lowest unit since it would react before the up circuit higher rated ones.

#25 crossy@home

crossy@home

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:40 AM

All,

Please remember that plug in protectors are limited by such things as 1) the effectiveness of the plug/socket mating 2) any wiring faults or anomalies such as the earth conductor being absent from the socket. The only way to completely protect your valuable equipment is to unplug everything including the antennas.

Rob.