• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 fawlty99

fawlty99

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

I noticed that the Moody Blues albums have been remastered for SACD. Anyone tried them out? A bit of classic prog rock might be the way to go.

#27 craigandkim

craigandkim

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

I noticed that the Moody Blues albums have been remastered for SACD. Anyone tried them out? A bit of classic prog rock might be the way to go.

Don't expect wonders...they sound quite good considering the age of the masters.

However, one thing....they are clearly advertised as 5.1....the two titles I have (SEVENTH SOJOURN & DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED) are the old quad mixes from the 70's. There is no 5 and no .1 - again given their age they are better than the 20bit SBM remastered cd from the 90's

PS: If you want to hear a truely remarkable DVD-A (taking into consideration the age of the originals) try the Beatles-Love album. Absolute pristine quality and great mixes. That is if you are DVD-A capable.

Edited by craigandkim, 16 February 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#28 OakenShield

OakenShield

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

I love my DVD-A's and SACD's problem is these days if you want to expand on them, they're not bloody cheap! I would love that Beatles album, I shudder to think how much it's going for.

Maybe I should check :)

#29 fawlty99

fawlty99

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Don't expect wonders...they sound quite good considering the age of the masters.

However, one thing....they are clearly advertised as 5.1....the two titles I have (SEVENTH SOJOURN & DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED) are the old quad mixes from the 70's. There is no 5 and no .1 - again given their age they are better than the 20bit SBM remastered cd from the 90's

PS: If you want to hear a truely remarkable DVD-A (taking into consideration the age of the originals) try the Beatles-Love album. Absolute pristine quality and great mixes. That is if you are DVD-A capable.

Yes I know about the quad mix. In their defence they might argue that there is a 5th channel - but there's nothing in it??? So are they an improvement on the CD & worth buying? Youtubing "The story in your eyes" made me realise how much i miss them and led me to the sacds. I have got a recent blu-ray of them which is pretty good but have an urge to revisit the back catalogue. My old cassette tapes just don't cut it anymore!

#30 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,421 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

I have to agree here! much better than any of the CD remasters. One of my better multichannel purchases.

#31 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,421 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

I love my DVD-A's and SACD's problem is these days if you want to expand on them, they're not bloody cheap! I would love that Beatles album, I shudder to think how much it's going for.

Maybe I should check :)

Go buy it @ Amazon US$20.46 + shipping:

http://www.amazon.co...29452359&sr=8-1

#32 craigandkim

craigandkim

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yes I know about the quad mix. In their defence they might argue that there is a 5th channel - but there's nothing in it??? So are they an improvement on the CD & worth buying? Youtubing "The story in your eyes" made me realise how much i miss them and led me to the sacds. I have got a recent blu-ray of them which is pretty good but have an urge to revisit the back catalogue. My old cassette tapes just don't cut it anymore!

Hey Fawlty,
if you are still listening to tapes...do yourself a favour- get the SACD's. They have increased in price a little...but patience on ebay should see some good deals....they aren't right up there in the high collectability stakes.
EBAY
AMAZON_UK
AMAZON_US

#33 craigandkim

craigandkim

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

Probably about 4mths ago I picked up Beatles_Love DVD-A for a mate for $13AUS delivered from amazon_uk (when they had free postage)...$20 odd dollars is money well spent. Keep an eye on ebay as well. You may still find it in JB amongst the beatles stuff.

Edited by craigandkim, 17 February 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#34 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Probably about 4mths ago I picked up Beatles_Love DVD-A for a mate for $13AUS delivered from amazon_uk (when they had free postage)...$20 odd dollars is money well spent. Keep an eye on ebay as well. You may still find it in JB amongst the beatles stuff.

just ordered The Beatles Love dvda from Amazon US $25.69 delivered.

Where do JB keep the dvd audio discs...... in amongst the music dvd's ?

#35 quadhammer

quadhammer

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Has anyone managed to output DSD to a compatible receiver/processor from their PC? Both Foobar & Media Center 17 can read .dff now, and even .iso, but I think video cards will only do LPCM, rather than .DSD.
Is there a way around this limitation without getting a, (presumably expensive), USB external DAC?

#36 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forum Member

• 3,678 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

just ordered The Beatles Love dvda from Amazon US $25.69 delivered.

Where do JB keep the dvd audio discs...... in amongst the music dvd's ?

Cooksta,
They are within the four walls of the store :hyper:
they are hopeless.
Paul.

#37 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Must agree with earlier comments re The Beatles "Love" dvda, hard to believe how long ago these songs were recorded, well worth the price if you are a fan

Added a couple more dvda to my collection; now stands at 3 :purple: ; Steely Dan "Gaucho" and Talking Heads "Remain in light". Both good quality to my ears.

#38 craigandkim

craigandkim

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Good to hear (pardon the pun),

Cooksta is your Talking Heads the CD + DVD-A (european) version or the Dualdisc (american) version?

I put together a DVD-A thread at SNA if anyone is interested - here contains links to technical, purchasing, some reviews etc.

#39 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Good to hear (pardon the pun),

Cooksta is your Talking Heads the CD + DVD-A (european) version or the Dualdisc (american) version?

I put together a DVD-A thread at SNA if anyone is interested - here contains links to technical, purchasing, some reviews etc.

CD + DVD-A...... bought from Amazon US though.
Very good 5.1 mix on this one.

#40 craigandkim

craigandkim

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

If you like "Remain in Light", you really need "Speaking in Togues" and "Little Creatures" as well, the mixes are brilliant.

Edited by craigandkim, 01 April 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#41 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

If you like "Remain in Light", you really need "Speaking in Togues" the mixes are brilliant.

Ordered Speaking in Tongues

#42 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

Slightly off topic...... DVD dual disc. How does this compare to DVDa, worth having?

#43 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DualDisc

be very carefull, it didnt meet red book spec and caused problems in many players as essentially it was a cd layer and dvd layer fussed together. and in thinkness many players struggled with it.

in audio some makers put hi res dvda content one side and cd on the other. some put a cd on one side dvd on other. and sony because they dont acknowledge dvda put cd on one side and dvd quality on the other.

a mine field....

#44 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

^^ Thanks Al.

#45 craigandkim

craigandkim

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

Yeah better off getting the EU versions of the Talking Heads discs (CD + DVD-A) if possible

#46 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Yeah better off getting the EU versions of the Talking Heads discs (CD + DVD-A) if possible

have "Speaking in Tongues" and "Remain in Light" DVDa and both very good imo.

#47 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Just recieved "Dire Straits" self titled album; SHM sacd; 2 channel only. I'd forgotten how much i liked this album. Simply superb in this version, smooth silky and without a hint of harshness.

I had posted in another thread that i usually listen at -15dB on the avr but must confess to fibbing a bit as I had this at -5dB all the way through :D

Bought from CD Japan, cheapest I could find.

#48 craigandkim

craigandkim

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

Spot on cooksta....

They have done a superb job with the album....notice they didn't go overboard with the tape noise reduction...I'd say we are getting he utmost dynamic range here..sounds great.

Anyone got Love over gold or Alchemy sacd?

#49 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Anyone got Love over gold ?

Have that 1 as well, sounds very good also...... but must admit being a big fan of the self titled 1st album.

edit; saw some negative comments on the noticeable tape hiss on Dire Straits; I guess some people are never happy. t does not distract from what is by far the best version of this album I have ever heard. If you are a fan it is a must buy.

Edited by cooksta, 01 June 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#50 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,548 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

The self titled SHM SACD is excellent. I'd rate Love Over Gold as good - the vocals seem a little recessed to me compared to other versions of the album.