Dvd-a & Sacd

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forum Member

• 3,682 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:25 PM

I was at JB HIFI today and was trying to find some DVD-A,SACD titles.I asked CD boy where they all are.SACD is lumped in with CD titles and DVD-A has its own section containing 9 titles.Whoo bloody Hoo :wacko: .No wonder Surround sound music is totally misunderstood.So i bought bugger all :angry: .What is the best shop in Melb to by DVD-A?

Paul

Edited by Paul_, 18 September 2007 - 07:34 PM.

#2 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

I was at JB HIFI today and was trying to find some DVD-A,SACD titles.I asked CD boy where they all are.SACD is lumped in with CD titles and DVD-A has its own section containing 9 titles.Whoo bloody Hoo :wacko: .No wonder Surround sound music is totally misunderstood.So i bought bugger all :angry: .What is the best shop in Melb to by DVD-A?
Paul

unfortunately yep, even the camberwell store that had a nice littel dvda - sacd section has given that up !

the bonus with them all mixed in though paul is they often end up at CD prices ! :D

talking to guys on the weekend apparently fountaingate is the go, as with jb in hte city.

#3 OakenShield

OakenShield

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

or online...

Check This thread

Local stores are tragic you are tight BTW

Edited by OakenShield, 18 September 2007 - 07:42 PM.

#4 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,730 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:05 AM

Local stores are tragic you are tight BTW

Just because Al finds them in the cd section does not mean he is tight OakenShield :P :lol:

Ive done the same :blush:

#5 OakenShield

OakenShield

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:52 AM

:blush: SH*T sorry mate, was meant to be right not tight!!

#6 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,294 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:01 AM

:blush: SH*T sorry mate, was meant to be right not tight!!

I hope that wasn't a Freudian slip there Oak...... :o

Infact I suspect Al hopes so even more!! :P

#7 OakenShield

OakenShield

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:38 AM

Hmm, left myself wide open then didn't I?

Trust you to let yourself in ;)

#8 Mr.Bitey

Mr.Bitey

AV Forum Member

• 7,832 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:10 AM

My local JB told me about 12 months ago that they were ditching DVD-A and SACD in favour of Blu Ray audio... they shoved all their remaining stock (not much) into a shitty corner and marked it all down - pity there wasnt anything there I liked!..

Cheers,
Bitey

#9 Widescream

Widescream

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

pity there wasnt anything there I liked!..

I know the feeling all too well. If you are into pop/rock the pickings are slim indeed. I found that in my local J&B it was the DVD-Audios only that were shoved in the bargain bin. The irony is that there were 2 or 3 titles there that were selling for aound $22 and at the time I was not interested. Now I want these titles, partly because I had never had the titles on CD/vinyl and I was worried that they will be very hard to find given that DVD-A is all but dead. So I have bought some of the stuff I was after from eBay or on-line retailers, sadly not as cheap as the J&B bargain bin.

Some of the stuff I have recently got (and almost all of it overseas) is:
The Church-Forget Yourself DVD-A (Dual Disc)
Doors-LA Woman (DVD Audio)
Yes-Fragile (DVD Audio)
Chicago-Chicago 2 (DVD Audio)
Fleetwood Mac-Rumours (DVD Audio)
Moody Blues SACDs-I already had 5 of the "classic 7", and had to resort to getting the final two after several months' procrastrination from eBay as the on-line retailers like CDWow-don't seem to have them anymore
Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquet and Let In Bleed (SACD)
Casio Royale (1967) HDCD (DVD-A)
David Bowie-Heathen (SACD), this one was difficult to find and I was luck to find a new one
David Bowie-Ziggy Startdust (SACD)
David Bowie-Scary Monsters (SACD)
Simple Minds-(SACD) apparently the DVD-A consisted of alternative mixes and I defintely did not want that
Pete Gabriel-So (SACD)
Pete Gabriel-Us (SACD)
Pete Gabriel-1 (Car) (SACD)
T-Rex-Electric Warrior (SACD) I could have got the DVD-A version, but I prefer a Red Book layer so I can rip and create AAC/MP4's for the old iPod. If there was no alternative to DVD-A, well I have to depend on a line in to the sound card........
Carole King-Tapestry (SACD), unfortunately not a hybrid.
Beck-Seachange (SACD), again unfortunately not a hybrid, but someone lent me the Redbook version for iPod puposes....

I'm currently in process of getting Peter Gabriel 3 (Melting Face) on SACD, but have never seen it in J&B. I have to make sure I get a UK version as the US version is apparently not a hyrbid, The first album (Car) was relatively easy to find on SACD. Also getting Human League-Dare (SACD). I never knew there was a SACD of this album until recently. I hope the on-line retailer hasn't made a mistake and listed the Red Book versions as SACD and charged more. I'll wait and see what they deliver...

I might look at getting the Elton John stuff too, Just as well it is his best albums from the ealy 1970's that are on SACD and not other unmentionables.

I am seeing plently of stock of Bob Dylan and Genesis in SACD but I not really into these two. I would consider get a Bob Dylan Best Of SACD if there was such an animal though.

I also wanted to get the Alan Parsons DVD-A's (on HDCD) but they are now out of print and quite expensve to buy from eBay etc.

#10 Luis Syphur

Luis Syphur

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:08 PM

I was in the Sony website yesterday and searched on SACD and got only ONE hit for a player, no amps, recievers or DVD players.

Even they've given up on it.

Luckily I bought my DVD player that plays SACD last year.

I only have two ATM, Dark Side and War of the Worlds, both are excellent. I want to get Brothers in Arms as well

#11 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

I want to get Brothers in Arms as well

5 star IMO. My favourite SACD by a long shot.

#12 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forum Member

• 3,682 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

I just had a look here DTS and i aint that impressed :( .Maybe I'm expecting to much.Oh well the search continues.

Paul

#13 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:45 AM

I just had a look here DTS and i aint that impressed :( .Maybe I'm expecting to much.Oh well the search continues.

Paul

What ?? This not up your alley ? :P

#14 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

Looking for something new this morning, came across this site. 1389 SACD titles, 183 DVD-A titles....While i admit most are classical, also some older "rock" stuff, might be something there for you Paul. ;)

Edited by Gutty, 21 September 2007 - 08:50 AM.

#15 Mr_Gimlet

Mr_Gimlet

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:52 PM

Looking for something new this morning, came across this site. 1389 SACD titles, 183 DVD-A titles....While i admit most are classical, also some older "rock" stuff, might be something there for you Paul. ;)

Thanks for that, looks interesting.

#16 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:09 PM

I hope that wasn't a Freudian slip there Oak...... :o

Infact I suspect Al hopes so even more!! :P

haha didnt even notice, used to reading my typos that the eyes make up for ! :lol:

#17 panda.g

panda.g

AV Forum Member

• 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:47 PM

Going back a few years when these formats first came out, consider the amount of money you had to spend to "buy in" to the formats. Prices of the players, equipment and discs themselves have come down yes, but what of the popularity of the formats? Most people on the street don't have a clue what SACD is. Big dissapointment.

#18 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:45 AM

Well, thanks again to this forum :blink:
Had no intensions of buying anything friday, but then i replied to this thread... *slaps self*
Now have 3 newies on their way from Amazon.

The Best of Roxy Music
Dark Side of the Moon 30th anniversary
Elton John - Captain Fantastic

All on SACD

D'oh ! :blush:

#19 curly joe

curly joe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:13 AM

Well, thanks again to this forum :blink:
Had no intensions of buying anything friday, but then i replied to this thread... *slaps self*
Now have 3 newies on their way from Amazon.

The Best of Roxy Music
Dark Side of the Moon 30th anniversary
Elton John - Captain Fantastic

All on SACD

D'oh ! :blush:

:D

#20 Widescream

Widescream

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:42 PM

Had no intensions of buying anything friday, but then i . *slaps self*

I know the feeling. I'm such a slut for hi-rez. :wub: Just got two more Moody Blues in the post and getting a couple of Elton John any day now.

I suppose one good thing about the lack of pop/rock titles on hi-rez means that my bank account can breath a sigh of relief soon <_<

Edited by Widescream, 24 September 2007 - 11:43 PM.

#21 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:49 PM

Anybody plucked up the courage to buy these yet?

Elusive Disc LOTR Soundtrack DVD-A

Reckon they'd sound fantastic...just can't pluck up the courage to pay that much for a movie score :blink:

#22 BigDick

BigDick

AV Forum Member

• 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:57 PM

Paul

:angry: Seems to me the whole HD audio thing is a joke. I appreciate that SACD might be on its way out due to blue-Ray music discs - what a fantastic idea - hd music and video - the obvious extension with humungous potential - enough to get idiots like me running out and buying the latest next gen stuff. Now that I have it, where are the disks?. If I google Blue Ray music to find sources the most I can find are approx. 50 discs that have been released, in the universe. What nonsense.

#23 yamapro

yamapro

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

Part and parcel of being an early adopter my friend ;)

#24 KWilliamMa

KWilliamMa

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

Paul

Not to mention HDCD and XRCD....

Sigh....

K William Ma

#25 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

Just been trawling through the net looking at various dvd-a and sacd sites. One that was very good some time ago appears to have stagnated...

Highfidelityreview

And one of my fave net haunts for purchases indicates limited future releases for SACD and virtually none for DVD-A.

CDUniverse

These may formats may almost be as dead as HD-DVD :unsure:

cheers
blairy