• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#26 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:52 AM

DTV Card Roundup news.

Firstly, I am wanting people to provide me information on DVB-S cards avalible on the market.

Secondly, I am wondering what people think of having a seperate Digital TV Viewing Software roundup. I see it as a mini-review of the various software products that work with each card (ie. Community input is needed as I only have a limited number of cards (ie. 2) and already am involved in updating this thread every so often (plus my studies and occansional graphic/web design work)).

Also, I see it as a run-down of software for Digital TV -> DVD conversion and recorded Digital TV file playback (including a list of non-PC software).

ie. It's kinda like a one-stop resource to help those that are looking at the value of the Digital TV card's included software and also to help them playback recorded files using other programs (including XBOX) and burning DVD's from Digital TV.

If you like the idea, post here or PM me.

#27 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:22 PM

Changes (12/9/04)
-Removed Digitalnow from list of distributors/sellers for the Haupagee Nova-T due to uncertianity of if they still distribute them.
-Added DNTV Live! DVB-T
-Added KWorld DVB-T
-Modified Nebula USB information to match the current model and the new models information.
-Minor changes

#28 rob3827

rob3827

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:36 AM

These links may be of interest:

DVICO Fusion Home Page
http://www.dvico.com...ducts_dvbt.html

DVB-T PCI Card Owners Discussion Forum
http://forums.dvbowners.com

#29 rob3827

rob3827

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:49 AM

Kenneth wrote:

Firstly, I am wanting people to provide me information on DVB-S cards avalible on the market.

VisonPlus DVB-S PCI Cards

VisionPlus Australian distributor:
http://www2.lakopaci...blic/home.ehtml

VisionPlus DVB-S PCI Card - Foxtel users
http://www.lakopacif...duct.asp?id=915

VisionPlus DVB-S PCI Card - Free-to-air
http://www.lakopacif...duct.asp?id=914

General Satellite Information:
Free-to-air satellite forum - http://www.vetrun.com

#30 rob3827

rob3827

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:26 PM

.... I am wanting people to provide me information on DVB-S cards avalible on the market.

These DVB-S cards are also available in Australia

Hauppage Win-TV DVB-S PCI Card

Australian distributor - New Magic - http://www.newmagic.com.au
Available from https://www.smartgad...0&ProductID=174

AverTV DVB-S digital Satellite TV PCI card

Australian distributor - ?
http://www.avermedia...vtuner_dvbs.asp

#31 Anarchi

Anarchi

AV Forums Member

• 1,183 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:09 PM

Anyway, how about saving people from confusion, and saving us all some time in the future, by fixing up your comparison page - ie clarify the audio capture situation (DigiTV stereo audio capture is via the soundcard as discussed earlier in this thread), clarify the multicard support as "Future" for DigiTV, differentiate between Now and Next and a proper 7 Day EPG, MHP support as a future item, maybe even make a comparison of the style and useability of the HTPC interfaces???

Maybe we can add it here to.

#32 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:20 PM

Anyway, how about saving people from confusion, and saving us all some time in the future, by fixing up your comparison page - ie clarify the audio capture situation (DigiTV stereo audio capture is via the soundcard as discussed earlier in this thread), clarify the multicard support as "Future" for DigiTV, differentiate between Now and Next and a proper 7 Day EPG, MHP support as a future item, maybe even make a comparison of the style and useability of the HTPC interfaces???

Maybe we can add it here to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Added

#33 luke1457

luke1457

AV Forums Member

• 60 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:17 AM

I had a quick look at the round-up.
Are there any reviews/comparison pages I can read?
I've read/heard so far that the FusionHDTV is the best card. Is this true? Is there anything better?

#34 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:28 AM

I've read/heard so far that the FusionHDTV is the best card. Is this true? Is there anything better?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't done any reviews/comparisions as I only have 2 of the cards in the list (FusionHDTV and VisionPlus). If I did have the other cards, I would put the reviews/comparisions on a different sticky.

And it's hard to say what card is the best. I have found Nebula's DigiTV's software (as it can be downloaded from their website) the best for HTPC's.

The FusionHDTV is a good card but the software is still only new. At least it has BDA drivers so third party software can be used if you don't like the included software.

Edited by kenneth, 03 October 2004 - 12:31 AM.

#35 newdig

newdig

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:00 PM

Hi Guys,
Not much experience in this part of the forum, can you advise please. If I install a HD card in my computer, what is the most effective method of outputting the signal to my HDTV in another part of the house; cable or transmitter. If I use cable would component be best.

Newdig

#36 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:07 PM

Hi Guys,
Not much experience in this part of the forum, can you advise please. If I install a HD card in my computer, what is the most effective method of outputting the signal to my HDTV in another part of the house; cable or transmitter. If I use cable would component be best.

Newdig

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to say this, but could you post this outside of my Roundup. The reason being as I am trying to keep this topic as clean as possible. Also, if people post questions/answer's in this topic, it could get confusing.

Maybe in the future I or someone else will have a FAQ for connections etc.

Edited by kenneth, 05 October 2004 - 02:13 PM.

#37 renura

renura

AV Forums Member

• 6,002 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 04:37 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may want to read my comparison here

Cheers

Renura

#38 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

Latest updates:
-Added DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T Plus and USB version
-Added TechniSat AirStar 2 DVB-T

#39 baobab68

baobab68

AV Forums Member

• 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 03:16 PM

You might also add to the sticky that the analog inputs for the Nebula PCI card don't actually "work". (15 frames per second on a 3Ghz CPU doesn't count as "working" in my book).

#40 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 03:23 PM

You might also add to the sticky that the analog inputs for the Nebula PCI card don't actually "work". (15 frames per second on a 3Ghz CPU doesn't count as "working" in my book).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I won't yet as this is the first time I have heard of this issue. Maybe you should start a new topic about it?

#41 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:37 PM

I haven't used the latest version mainly due to the card being in my brother's computer.

I will update that section now.

#42 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:30 PM

I purchased one of these cards today, FusionHDTV DVB-T Plus.

I cant seem to get any HDTV channels. It searches but only comes up with :

Seven
Nine
Ten
ABC HDTV ( which is just a test )

I have had no problem with reception in this house, I currently have 2 sd stb's and no problems.

Im using a :

celeron 2.4gb
512mb ram
200GB HDD
Albatron 128mb fx5200 card.

i watch a channel for about 5 minutes and it freezes up, i need to change channel and then come back and all works again ???

Any suggestions ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I have noted on the first post in this thread, this topic is for the roundup. Asking help in here is not a good idea.

I suggest you ask this in a separate thread.

#43 brianp

brianp

AV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:24 AM

hi, i just bought this today, and it freezes on the first frame, ive tried installing latest VGA drivers and i have got dirext x 9.0c. The graphics card is a Radeon 9600 256mb, so i don't think that is the problem. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

#44 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 10:54 AM

hi, i just bought this today, and it freezes on the first frame, ive tried installing latest VGA drivers and i have got dirext x 9.0c. The graphics card is a Radeon 9600 256mb, so i don't think that is the problem. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I have noted on the first post in this thread, this topic is for the roundup. Asking help in here is not a good idea due to posts being un-noticed. Also, if you create a new thread (ie. topic) to ask for help, you will get a better response.

I suggest you ask this in a separate thread.

#45 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:21 PM

Updates:
-Re-worked Nebula DigiTV USB based information to provide current information.
-Fixed up and updated DVICO FusionHDTV device range information (may completly re-work it to just have general information but that's another day).

#46 Rico

Rico

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:01 PM

Somewhat newish... check it out.

EasyWatch Mobile DVB-T PC Card

#47 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 09:47 PM

Digital TV Card/Device roundup changes

Just some information on the changes that will happen in the early new yearEach product will have it's own post with detailed information (where possible) on tuner, analogue inputs, drivers, software support and whatever else I decide on. I will also put a bit of a blurb saying product history (if I know of any) and general notes (sometimes stuff that doesn't fit into the other catagories)
The first post will be a general informaiton post. I am going to add general system specification information (along the lines of some cards work better than others with certain types of systems. Full product specifications will be with each product). It will also have the update information and links to each product (not in that order).
I will request that the topic does not get any posts in it to keep it clean. All modificaitons should be sent via PM.

#48 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:13 AM

Proposed card/device roundup structure:

Card name
Manufractor website
Tuner/Demod (depending on information avalible)
Analogue inputs
Software (including extra features, timeshifting etc.)
System Requirements
Other features
Small bit of information (eg. for the Nebula range, "Nebula has proven to have a strong commitment for support in Australia compared to some of the other manufractors")

I am scrapping the "Where to buy" section as it is not an easy thing to update. I may just put a distributor section in for the card/devices that I know who the distributors are.

Any suggestions?

Also, I will create a new thread when this happens.

#49 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forums Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 10:58 PM

Final list:
Card name
Manufractor website
Tuner/Demod (depending on information avalible)
Analogue inputs
Software (including extra features, timeshifting etc.)
System Requirements
Other features (depending on the card)
Third Party Applications
Linux Support
Small bit of information (eg. for the Nebula range, "Nebula has proven to have a strong commitment for support in Australia compared to some of the other manufractors")

In the next few days, I will start preparing information for each card/device.

Once I have done all of the card/device information, I will post each card/device in it's own post in this topic.

I will then get Coral to remove other posts including the changes informaiton and redo the first post.

I will also request that this thread be kept clean of any posts from other forum users. Requests for changes or additions are only to be receivced via PM now.

#50 hmoffatt

hmoffatt

AV Forums Member

• 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:43 PM

An update for the Avermedia DVB-T cards. There are two models, the original being the 761 and the replacement being the 771. The replacement has a more sensitive receiver. Both are supported in linux.

I have not used their Windows software at all.

In general, support for HDTV is a software/pricing decision rather than something in hardware. So even an SDTV card can do HDTV with alternate software eg linux.

Hamish