• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 peedon

peedon

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

I thought I would give the BBC iplayer a go, this allows you to watch all the BBC channels from the comfort of your own pc. I was going along quite nicely, I'd had the email with user name and password, accessed the iplayer site, set up a BBC user account and then clicked on a download link and that was as far as I got - "you can't use this as you appear to not be in the UK".

So no go there then.
:(

#2 brjst

brjst

AV Forum Member

• 16 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

Hi Peedon

Try going here http://www.topproxysites.com/
and look for a proxy site ending in .uk perhaps Proxy Site UK

This may enable you to use your account. With luck the bbc will think you are coming from the proxy site address in the UK rather than oz.

Let me know how it goes

#3 mddawson

mddawson

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:24 PM

Hi Peedon

Try going here http://www.topproxysites.com/
and look for a proxy site ending in .uk perhaps Proxy Site UK

This may enable you to use your account. With luck the bbc will think you are coming from the proxy site address in the UK rather than oz.

Let me know how it goes

Also if you download the Maxthon web browser you can set up multiple proxys : http://www.maxthon.com/

#4 anthonysimilion

anthonysimilion

AV Forum Member

• 3,587 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

I thought I would give the BBC iplayer a go, this allows you to watch all the BBC channels from the comfort of your own pc. I was going along quite nicely, I'd had the email with user name and password, accessed the iplayer site, set up a BBC user account and then clicked on a download link and that was as far as I got - "you can't use this as you appear to not be in the UK".

So no go there then.
:(

It's not surprising - we're not paying the license fee for the service, so why should we get access? It would be nice, though. :)

#5 peedon

peedon

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

It's not surprising - we're not paying the license fee for the service, so why should we get access? It would be nice, though. :)

Well I would certainly pay the license fee for what you can get there and in fact I would donate my Australian FTA channels to a country such as, let me think - N.Korea...

OK, on a serious note, these proxy's you menion, just how legal are they??

#6 brjst

brjst

AV Forum Member

• 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

Well I would certainly pay the license fee for what you can get there and in fact I would donate my Australian FTA channels to a country such as, let me think - N.Korea...

OK, on a serious note, these proxy's you menion, just how legal are they??

The proxy's are totally legal. Many ISP's require you to go through their proxy rather than connecting directly to the internet.
Visit the site and also www.proxy.org for a full explanation of what they are and what they do.
Using them to gain access to the BBC... well... I have no idea

#7 peedon

peedon

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

The proxy's are totally legal. Many ISP's require you to go through their proxy rather than connecting directly to the internet.
Visit the site and also www.proxy.org for a full explanation of what they are and what they do.
Using them to gain access to the BBC... well... I have no idea

I have a feeling they might have a slight issue with it. Will check out the Ts&Cs and come back..

#8 Mr.Bitey

Mr.Bitey

AV Forum Member

• 7,832 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:46 AM

So, does it work ? :-) T&C's aside!

Cheers,
Bitey

#9 RogerH

RogerH

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

So, does it work ? :-) T&C's aside!

Cheers,
Bitey

I tried lots of free UK proxies and although some of them work with BBC iplayer some do not and those that do often don't stay available for long or are very slow. I guess you get what you pay for so now I have signed up to a paid for proxy which works well, is easy to use, reliable and fast. It is only US$7 a month and has other benefits as well. See Here

#10 GerryB

GerryB

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

There is, in fact, a far better way to access BBC streaming video, iPlayer included, using Firefox: http://www.darkedges.com/bbc/ This has minimal impact on download speeds because the use of the UK proxy is minimized.

For streaming video generally, URLSnooper and Orbit are good; works well on youtube etc.

I've got BBC iPlayer installed, but haven't managed to get a single download to succeed. Have anyone out here managed it?

#11 holmesy999

holmesy999

AV Forum Member

• 47 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:55 PM

There is, in fact, a far better way to access BBC streaming video, iPlayer included, using Firefox: http://www.darkedges.com/bbc/ This has minimal impact on download speeds because the use of the UK proxy is minimized.

For streaming video generally, URLSnooper and Orbit are good; works well on youtube etc.

I've got BBC iPlayer installed, but haven't managed to get a single download to succeed. Have anyone out here managed it?

one alternative -
I managed to get it working using a company that provides you with a log in into a uk server - just search for companies that offer a virtual private network - they do charge for the service (one I saw was us$140 a year)

one company gave me a free 24 hour trial

I gave it a go, but for me it was a bit too slow (which makes sense cause you are logging into a uk computer, which then connects to the bbc website), so instead I am going to stick to torrent downloading of what I want

#12 loopy079

loopy079

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

Hi guys,

Will this work for listening to all the (UK only) streaming BBC stuff such as English Premier League etc.

Thanks

Hutch

#13 GerryB

GerryB

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:20 PM

Depends on where you are. I'm in Australia, and the stream is a seriously painful stop/start affair. I use the "darkedges" method to get the streaming video started, which can be detected using URL Snopper and Orbit. The GRAB++ option under Tools in Orbit then allows you to download and save the streaming video. I reckon on a one hour program taking 80-90 minutes to download. Be warned that the downloads ain't small, eg Top Gear is 220-230MB.

Hope that this helps.

Again, has anyone managed a successful iPlayer download?

#14 GerryB

GerryB

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:24 PM

Oops, forgot to reply on the subject of VPN. I have considered it, but AUD150/year is a bit stiff for one or two programs a week. Also, I am none too sure that even a VPN will prevent stop/start streaming video on the opposite side of the planet from Auntie. I stand to be corrected on this, though.

#15 Dyllip

Dyllip

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

Proxies will not work, unless you are extremely lucky to get one that is inside the BBC inclusion list.

The BBC content is only licensed in the UK, and they appear to be serious in blocking non-UK addresses.

The BBC has a list of all broadband IP addresses in the UK. If you are not on this list, you don't get in.

There are ways to beat the system, and if you have friends in the UK, you can setup a private proxy service on their computer, for the limited access of you or a very few of your friends.

Now your friends in the UK would be liable for copyright infringement, for exporting the signal outside the UK, if they ever got caught.

So you see, the British authorities are rather sticky when it comes to their beloved BBC.

#16 JackTheLad

JackTheLad

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:07 AM

VPN is clearly the best solution, since it's a reliable connection that's fast enough to stream video; but $140 - $150 is too expensive. I've now found one (which I'm using and works great) for $75 AU for 12 months - that's about half the going rate.

You can sign up for a year or go with the free trial to test that it works for you first. It's just a simple VPN using the native Windows / Mac or iPhone VPN interface. You get a username and password and instructions on how to configure it (PPTP or secure). Took about 5 minutes to set up, then I could watch the iPlayer as well as several other services (Zattoo.com, ITV's catch-up, etc.) It also gives me a free US and Canadian VPN - so I can also watch US programming and CBC stuff.

So far, reliability looks very good (connection failed a couple of times but started OK after I retried) and the video downloads with no rebuffering. Picture quality is suprisingly good and even looks good blown up to a big-screen TV.

Just google UKiVPN - then post back here to let us know how you get on.

#17 Mr.Cobblers

Mr.Cobblers

AV Forum Member

• 44 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

Can people confirm if this site (ukivpn.com) does indeed enable reasonable quality, easy access to bbc i player?

Are there security issues?

Cheers.

#18 JackTheLad

JackTheLad

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

Can people confirm if this site (ukivpn.com) does indeed enable reasonable quality, easy access to bbc i player?

Cheers.

I'm still using it, and the quality is still very good. I plugged the PC into a 42" plasma and streamed via the iPlayer. It looks as good as a regular satellite signal. I had a couple of issues with the server I was connecting to, but they fixed me up with a new server straight away. I'm very impressed with it.

I don't have any security issues, in fact I use the PPTP connection - since I'm just pulling video content - and I disconnect from the VPN after I'm done. They allow you to make an L2TP connection (all part of the same deal) which provides strong encryption over WiFi, so you can be secure connecting to a hotspot or in a hotel etc.

Re "easy access" - it takes about 5 minutes to set up manually (following a step-by-step guide) or there's some scripts that will automatically run and set it up (for XP and Vista only). And they were pretty quick to answer e-mail and sort me out.

#19 mortenharketrocks

mortenharketrocks

AV Forum Member

• 39 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

you can use the Iplayer for any Audio stream though - Radio content is perfectly listenable without any grief...

#20 steven_aus

steven_aus

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:44 AM

I'm still using it, and the quality is still very good. I plugged the PC into a 42" plasma and streamed via the iPlayer. It looks as good as a regular satellite signal. I had a couple of issues with the server I was connecting to, but they fixed me up with a new server straight away. I'm very impressed with it.

I don't have any security issues, in fact I use the PPTP connection - since I'm just pulling video content - and I disconnect from the VPN after I'm done. They allow you to make an L2TP connection (all part of the same deal) which provides strong encryption over WiFi, so you can be secure connecting to a hotspot or in a hotel etc.

Re "easy access" - it takes about 5 minutes to set up manually (following a step-by-step guide) or there's some scripts that will automatically run and set it up (for XP and Vista only). And they were pretty quick to answer e-mail and sort me out.

Just wondering if the quality is still good with this service? I've just got back from the UK and been blown away by how good the iplayer offering is, and also how good UK TV is in general. I'd forgotten after being away for nearly 4 years. Is it still worth using this VPN company or are there better offerings out there now?

#21 UK TV

UK TV

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Hi Guys

Just to let you know in regards to all your fav UK TV channels i can help you dont need a VPN or Proxy infact you dont need any special internet connection at all have you guys ever heard of a slingbox if not go to http://uk.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox if you have freinds or family in the uk just get them to purchase one of these boxes its easy to install it connects directly to your Sky Box or Freeview box then into a router.

you can watch all your live programs from your sky box or freeview box on your computer thats all BBC ITV CH4 CH5 etc etc all sky sports and movies if you have a sky + box just set up your recording just like in the uk and watch them when ever you want you have full control of the sky box or freeview box you get a proper looking remote come up on your computer just like the sky remote back in the UK if you want to change channels do so just like you were sitting in front of it in the uk with the remote. better still if you want to watch your live tv programs on your tv set just buy a sling catcher http://uk.slingmedia...go/slingcatcher it looks like a sling box but works like a cable box just plug it in to your tv set via hdmi of scart then plug it into you router it then talks back to the slingbox back in the uk it also comes with a remote (so its just like having cable) but all your channels come direct from the uk.
I have tried this system out in brisbane as my freind lives there even with a very poor internet connect he gets fantasic quality pictures and sound just like being in the uk.

If anyone would like to try this out on there pc email me and i will setup a demo password etc so you can access my setup before you buy anything.

email jason.terry@o2.co.uk

For People that already have a VPN setup they should try this out http://www.tvcatchup.com/channels.html its all free and 100% live

Nice to help you guys out.

UK TV its easy if you know how

Thank You

Jason Terry
http://www.wifi-netuk.co.uk

#22 chbiz

chbiz

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hi everyone, watching the BBC iPlayer from Aus is easy and you can do it for free. In addition you can watch 5 and ITV, you just need to set up your PC with Firefox, Tor and Foxyproxy.

All the information you need is here, its not spam, just helpful information, I use the technique as I'm currently living in Hungary.

Good Luck

http://www.webtvunle...ng-to-work.html

#23 wfdtamar

wfdtamar

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

Tried that with Firefox on a Mac and it worked up to the point that it wanted to install Flash (with GetPlus) to watch the UK show which didn't install.

#24 scrot

scrot

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

Cheers.

I have been using UKiVPN for a couple of days now. I just watched the full Hungarian F1 grand prix live with only 2 disruptions and no buffering, I am using the lower bandwidth option though. The set up was easy and it really isnt that expensive, I am paying AUD $12 month for US and UK servers.

#25 Blue_Arsed_Fly

Blue_Arsed_Fly

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

Sorry for bringing an old thread top but thought ye might be interested in checking out what is surely the best streaming service on the net:

46 Sky channels including Sky Sports 1-3, all the movie channels, TV guide, on demand services & huge resource of radio channels FOR A TENNER!!!!! No messing about with proxys, perfect video quality, no buffering issues & everything accessed from the one location.

Click here for a free 10 minute preview:

UK TV Abroad

Dennis, who runs the site, is generally always online to answer any queries via the popup at the bottom right. Tell him Niall sent you!

HDMI cables on Amazon for less than 2 also for watching through the telly.

Perfect for those looking to save money or those living abroad looking to catch up on radio & tv from home. & you also get to stop giving Rupert Murdoch your hard earned.

Nice! :beerchug:

Edited by Blue_Arsed_Fly, 05 August 2011 - 09:01 PM.