Currently Spinning...

• Please log in to reply
680 replies to this topic

#1 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

ah what I like most about 2ch ...the music !

a thread for people to post what theyre listenign to at the present and anything that came across that they really liked the sound off :)

Myself recently picked up this disc here

STOCKFISCH RECORDS/CLOSER TO THE MUSIC VOL. 1 SAMPLER SACD

just like disc 2 that I picked up a week or two ago, found this to have lovely music beautiful vocals and instrumentaion and as recordings are quite amazing !
in looking for it, I actually found it suprisingly at a local retailers
http://www.audiophil...eatured-CD.html
the linn compilation sacd disc they have showing at $20 is a cracker as well !

and also picked this up on vinyl..

I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You - I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You

suprisingly good and with plenty of old favs :)

#2 Jedi Joe

Jedi Joe

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:47 PM

I have been listening to Kings of Leon - "Because of the times" Another ripper CD from them. Track 1 is a very nice introduction to an album that i found caught my attention from start to finish.

Most recent purchases have been american band Spoon with the new CD "GA GA GA GA GA" which is growing on me. Another recent purchase was Antony and the johnsons. His voice, Antony, is very "unique" and worth checking out.

Xavia Rudd's - "white moth" has also been getting some play of late, recomend track 10 for the deep bass from a didgeridoo and some killer percussion make the MS1 headphones smoke :D.

#3 Skid_MacMarx

Skid_MacMarx

AV Forum Member

• 8,928 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

Ramírez's 2002 DG CD Confesión has been "spinning on the platter" most of the afternoon
http://www.iclassics...contentId=13071

#4 RodN

RodN

AV Forum Member

• 5,592 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

I've been listening to Rodrigo Y Gabriella's self titled album. They are a couple of mexican guitar players that really 'dance' all over the strings, with one often 'beating' their guitar along with the other. Some may have seen them on SBS already. I was put onto these guys by The Joz.

http://rodgab.com/reviews.htm

#5 Scotto83

Scotto83

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

Of late I've been listening to..
Crowded House - Time on Earth
Ryan Star - Song's from the Eye of the Elephant
Maroon 5 - It Wont be soon before long
Stage - Stage (Ryan Star's old band)

#6 ZimZum

ZimZum

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:28 PM

Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons. Has a fantastic cover of Elton John's "Funeral For A Friend (Love Lies Bleeding)". review
Kraftwerk - Tour de France Soundtracks. In honour of the greatest annual sporting event in the universe. review
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust.

#7 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:57 PM

Gypsy Kings, the Three Tenors, Crowded House, Eric Clapton, The Beatles.

#8 MarkH

MarkH

AV Forum Member

• 8,680 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:07 PM

Currently spinning this week

GusGus - Forever
Recoil - subHuman (got it on CD and am awating delivery of the limited edition gatefold double vinyl set)
Clint Mansell & The Kronos Quartet - The Fountain OST
Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel (everyday since its release 16 months ago!)
Lisa Gerrard - The Silver Tree

#9 RodN

RodN

AV Forum Member

• 5,592 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

Currently spinning this week

GusGus - Forever
Recoil - subHuman (got it on CD and am awating delivery of the limited edition gatefold double vinyl set)
Clint Mansell & The Kronos Quartet - The Fountain OST
Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel (everyday since its release 16 months ago!)
Lisa Gerrard - The Silver Tree

Hi Mark,

Dead can dance have been a favourite of mine and saw a doco the other month on Lisa Gerrard... hmmm that music is familiar...!

What's it like?

#10 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:22 PM

Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons. Has a fantastic cover of Elton John's "Funeral For A Friend (Love Lies Bleeding)". review
Kraftwerk - Tour de France Soundtracks. In honour of the greatest annual sporting event in the universe. review
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust.

Ooh, Ooh, Ziggy...........

:D

#11 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:40 PM

Hi Mark,

Dead can dance have been a favourite of mine and saw a doco the other month on Lisa Gerrard... hmmm that music is familiar...!

What's it like?

bugger didnt realise there was a lisa gerard doco last mnth. hope they give it anotehr run.

that dead can dance track the guy from focal played on my divas ! at the ehome gtg sounded sensational ! must hear it again ! hehe

have liked the other odd bits of dead can dance I've heard...must get some more !

#12 JohnA

JohnA

AV Forum Member

• 3,342 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

i think i may have to invest in some dead can dance also, someone put one on at my place and i did enjoy it.

#13 Psycho!

Psycho!

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:32 PM

At the momen the wife and I just can not stop sitting down with a nice glass of red and laying back to Madeleine Peyroux's latest: Half the Perfect World. Very relaxing, exery time i listen to it I find various musicians doing something special in each track. Love it.

http://www.madeleine...ntent/main.html

EDIT** Oh and for anyone interested in some very cool mixes to while away your day on your portable media or simply to just get your next house party rocking...please visit a firends page up here in Q'ld. Strex is an old gaming mate of mine and he is doing some really awesome mixes. Dowload a few and see what you think. If they dont get your foot tapping then you are already dead! :)

http://www.djstrex.c....html#retrovibe

#14 JohnA

JohnA

AV Forum Member

• 3,342 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:08 PM

ones in my room at the moment getting a good workout are

Liz Wright - Dreaming wide awake
Anjani - Blue Alert
Amy winehouse - Back to black
Aaron Neville - Nature Boy SACD

#15 RodN

RodN

AV Forum Member

• 5,592 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:09 PM

Aaron Neville - Nature Boy SACD

Johna was this a local version or an import? I've been looking out for this one for a while.

#16 cyberplank

cyberplank

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:57 AM

Deacon Blue - Fellow Hoodlams
Ennio Morricone - The Mission Soundtrack
Eskimo Joe - Black Fingernails Red Wine

And finally

Moustach - Get your Face Out (My daughters band).

#17 JohnA

JohnA

AV Forum Member

• 3,342 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:24 AM

Johna was this a local version or an import? I've been looking out for this one for a while.

got it from JB in bourke street mate

#18 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

And this is where i start to not fit in with the true audiophiles so well... :blush:

Dire Straits - Brothers in arms.(SACD)
Dianna Krall - When I Look in Your Eyes.(DVD-A)

CD:
Chris Cornell - Carry on
Clutch - From Beale street to oblivian
Rage against the machine - Live and Rare(recently found this at JB after chasing it online for about a year :) )
Mike Oldfiled - Tubular bells(loved it as a youngster but never bought, then spotted at JB recently), so it too has been getting a bit of a work out.

And should have the new Velvet Revolver - Libertad, aswell as the older self titled Clutch show up today, so those also likely to get a bit of a work out over the next few days.

#19 MarkH

MarkH

AV Forum Member

• 8,680 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:10 AM

Hi Mark,

What's it like?

Well as a huge Gerrard/DCD fan I think Im a little biased, and I have to say the last track on the album is one of my personal favs of all time. I found the album a little too familiar when I first got it, but got into it after peated listening.

I have to say tho' - I dont feel too bad for any CD I buy if there is one or two defining tracks on it, I feel my $25 was well spent to get that emotional connection.

#20 JohnA

JohnA

AV Forum Member

• 3,342 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:44 AM

And this is where i start to not fit in with the true audiophiles so well... :blush:
Dire Straits - Brothers in arms.(SACD)
Dianna Krall - The look of love.(DVD-A)

CD:
Chris Cornell - Carry on
Clutch - From Beale street to oblivian
Rage against the machine - Live and Rare(recently found this at JB after chasing it online for about a year :) )
Mike Oldfiled - Tubular bells(loved it as a youngster but never bought, then spotted at JB recently), so it too has been getting a bit of a work out.
And should have the new Velvet Revolver - Libertad, aswell as the older self titled Clutch show up today, so those also likely to get a bit of a work out over the next few days.

Don't think what you listen to has anything to do with been an audiophile.
This is more an area were people can post their favourite cd's and also for others to maybe go have a listen to some and see if they are to their taste.
I know at alot of GTG's i hear stuff i realy enjoy, stuff if i aw on the shelves i propably would never purchase.

#21 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Don't think what you listen to has anything to do with been an audiophile.
This is more an area were people can post their favourite cd's and also for others to maybe go have a listen to some and see if they are to their taste.
I know at alot of GTG's i hear stuff i realy enjoy, stuff if i aw on the shelves i propably would never purchase.

Thanks for that John, it's nice to feel welcome :)
While i openly admit, i am no audiophile, i really do enjoy my music be it rock, jazz, instrumental.

And i certainly agree, i for one will definately be taking a few pointers on what to look out for or try.
Had it not been for someone on the forum posting a comment on some background music in a link i followed, i'd have never known who Diana krall was.... think i now own all her CDs. Love it !

#22 curly joe

curly joe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

Had it not been for someone on the forum posting a comment on some background music in a link i followed, i'd have never known who Diana krall was.... think i now own all her CDs. Love it !

Had it not been for surround sounds playing Diana's Live in Paris DVD I wouldn't have found her either. Have to find something else to listen to sometimes... the wife is starting to ask questions :D

Listened to When I Look in Your Eyes (DVD_A) and my favourite, Love Scenes last night. :wub:

#23 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forum Member

• 3,679 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

i think i may have to invest in some dead can dance also, someone put one on at my place and i did enjoy it.

John,a good place to start is Dead can dance, A passage in time.Catalogue cad1010cd.It's a compilation.The language that she sings in is made up by Lisa herself.They also did the soundtrack for Gladiator(oscar winner).Paul

#24 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:48 PM

John,a good place to start is Dead can dance, A passage in time.Catalogue cad1010cd.It's a compilation.The language that she sings in is made up by Lisa herself.They also did the soundtrack for Gladiator(oscar winner).Paul

Baraka was first time I heard them quite eeire, soulfull mind blowing stuff. interesting re the language she sings paul didnt realise she made it up herself.

#25 JohnA

JohnA

AV Forum Member

• 3,342 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

Thanks Paul
i'll go suss them out later today