Photo

Is The Blu-ray Movie I Want To Buy Region Locked Or Region Free?

• Please log in to reply
2918 replies to this topic

#76 momaw

momaw

AV Forums Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:18 PM

my aussie pursuit of happyness is marked region abc on the cover but yet to try in a region a player

I'll await your report :)

#77 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:01 PM

Any news on the Regions of the following 3 Blu Ray Titles

- Happily N'Ever After
- Lost City
- The Architect

#78 momaw

momaw

AV Forums Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:19 PM

- Happily N'Ever After
- Lost City
- The Architect

he he. You funny.

But seriously, no. But I will look into it for you. I've also posted your question across a couple of other boards on case some users there know.

#79 Hussla

Hussla

AV Forums Member

• Banned
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:02 PM

To pre-empt this was the reason Regional coding was introduced originally.

Is this perhaps one of the reasons that worked against HD-DVD in the eyes of some studios?

#80 momaw

momaw

AV Forums Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:53 PM

Is this perhaps one of the reasons that worked against HD-DVD in the eyes of some studios?

Not according to industry insiders. Allegiances were set before region coding had been ruled out on HD DVD and before it had been set in stone on BD.

Sony chose bd for fairly obvious reasons. Fox felt BDJ offered better interactive potential than HDi while Universal funnily felt the opposite. Disney felt the extra space on BD discs was of greater benefit (hence HD DVD pursuing TL51).

Every studio had a different reason and region coding was not one of them. Region Coding is just a tool and if it is there some will use it. it's funny, even though all Warner HD DVD's are region free, so far I have found the DVD side of dual format discs to all be region locked to 1 (from the sample I have selected).

#81 Skid_MacMarx

Skid_MacMarx

AV Forums Member

• 8,928 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:14 PM

Not according to industry insiders. Allegiances were set before region coding had been ruled out on HD DVD and before it had been set in stone on BD.

Sony chose bd for fairly obvious reasons. Fox felt BDJ offered better interactive potential than HDi while Universal funnily felt the opposite. Disney felt the extra space on BD discs was of greater benefit (hence HD DVD pursuing TL51).

Every studio had a different reason and region coding was not one of them. Region Coding is just a tool and if it is there some will use it. it's funny, even though all Warner HD DVD's are region free, so far I have found the DVD side of dual format discs to all be region locked to 1 (from the sample I have selected).

I feel region coding is an achilles heel on both sides.. a number of studios would support HD-DVD if the feature was available.. and Blu ray wearing the wrath of consumers for having the feature

#82 momaw

momaw

AV Forums Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:48 PM

I feel region coding is an achilles heel on both sides.. a number of studios would support HD-DVD if the feature was available.. and Blu ray wearing the wrath of consumers for having the feature

You quoted me, but you obviously didn't read it. Allegiances have nothing to do with region coding.

#83 Skid_MacMarx

Skid_MacMarx

AV Forums Member

• 8,928 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

You quoted me, but you obviously didn't read it. Allegiances have nothing to do with region coding.

I read somewhere over at the AVS forum that Disney and Fox would not go format neutral because HD-DVD was unable to be region coded..
or it could it have been here .. anyway thats where i draw my opinion from ie being an achilles heel...

#84 momaw

momaw

AV Forums Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

I read somewhere over at the AVS forum that Disney and Fox would not go format neutral because HD-DVD was unable to be region coded..
or it could it have been here .. anyway thats where i draw my opinion from ie being an achilles heel...

I think there is a mass assumption that because Disney and Fox chose to implement region coding, it was the "killer app" (to borrow a phrase) that made them BD exclusives. it just isn't the case. It's a very neat reason people can use to support their own assumptions and has unfortunately almost become gospel through repetition - a self fulfilling prophecy. The truth lies elsewhere however and region coding alone is not going to keep or lose any studios.

#85 Skid_MacMarx

Skid_MacMarx

AV Forums Member

• 8,928 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

I think there is a mass assumption that because Disney and Fox chose to implement region coding, it was the "killer app" (to borrow a phrase) that made them BD exclusives. it just isn't the case. It's a very neat reason people can use to support their own assumptions and has unfortunately almost become gospel through repetition - a self fulfilling prophecy. The truth lies elsewhere however and region coding alone is not going to keep or lose any studios.

yes, i agree that there were other factors as well that lead these studios to BD initially.. but i was actually referring to a post (i think at the insiders thread at AVS) where supposedly these studios were asked (recently?) about format neutrality and region coding was brought up..

Also as you stated previously its technically impossible to implement region coding now

thats why i believe its an "achilles heel" for both formats.

#86 momaw

momaw

AV Forums Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:19 PM

- Happily N'Ever After
- Lost City
- The Architect

Ok, Doc, I got some news on Happily N'Ever After and it ain't good. Region Locked to A I'm afraid :(

Still nothing on the others though. Will keep trying.

If anyone out there can help, I'd much appreciate it.

#87 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

Thanks momaw!!

#88 momaw

momaw

AV Forums Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:01 AM

The Warriors - Directors Cut (US Release) and The Untouchables (US Release) both confirmed region free. No review yet on the Untouchables.

#89 momaw

momaw

AV Forums Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:00 AM

Added Bullitt (US Release) (Steve McQueen) region free and a review link for The Untouchables.

#90 dazbug

dazbug

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:35 AM

Mo,

You should do an Aus one, to allow those with import players to see if what Aus titles they can play in there machine??

Wishful thinking? :)

#91 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forums Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

Mo,

You should do an Aus one, to allow those with import players to see if what Aus titles they can play in there machine??

He already does :)

They are after the US releases

UK/AUSTRALIAN RELEASED TITLES - Region B

Andrew.

#92 momaw

momaw

AV Forums Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

Mo,

Aus titles are listed below US titles. Unfortunately there is not a lot of info out on those.

#93 dazbug

dazbug

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:27 PM

that will teach me to scroll down in future

#94 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forums Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:51 PM

that will teach me to scroll down in future

noob :P

#95 werewolf

werewolf

AV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:47 PM

Primeval is on the list as allregion, Could someone please confirm this for me.
Thanks.

#96 Windle

Windle

AV Forums Member

• 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:31 AM

momaw, do you mind if i duplicate your list on another forum?

:ph34r:

Edited by Windle, 25 June 2007 - 06:31 AM.

#97 momaw

momaw

AV Forums Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

momaw, do you mind if i duplicate your list on another forum?

:ph34r:

I see no problem with that. This is supposed to be a community list to help people. It might be an idea to link back to this list though as it is updated on a regular basis.

Out of curiosity, which Forum. I assume it has user contributions that might help this list.

#98 Windle

Windle

AV Forums Member

• 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:54 PM

It's a primarily DVD focused Forum based mainly in the UK but as both Aus and UK are the same region for Blu-Ray this list is hugely useful :)

www.thedvdforums.com

Thank you very much :)

#99 gripen

gripen

AV Forums Member

• 56 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

On the subject of region coding. It was declared unenforceable in Australia with DVD.
You can therefore insist that you BD player be multi-region enabled before you buy it.

#100 Hussla

Hussla

AV Forums Member

• Banned
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:22 PM

On the subject of region coding. It was declared unenforceable in Australia with DVD.
You can therefore insist that you BD player be multi-region enabled before you buy it.

Insist to who exactly?

If by that you mean have a go at the salespeople who sell it, then your way off.

Best bet is to insist to the manufacturers and or the ACCC