Owners Thread Sony Bravia "r" Series (sxrd) 60"-70" 1080p

• Please log in to reply
4066 replies to this topic

#26 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forums Member

• 5,254 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:04 AM

Pietro, it definitely looks like you've got some convergence issues there. Luckily it can be fixed via the service menu. You can move the RGBs in 1 pixel increments.

It's very difficult photographing the convergence malalignment with a consumer level digital camera. The trouble is that a consumer level still camera will only focus with a sweet spot in an isolated region. Anyway, here is a picture taken of my 60" set displaying a convergence test pattern to give a very broad idea: http://www.dtvforum....t...ost&id=2372

The picture is not very accurate. Inspection with the naked eye reveals the following patterns:-

Vertically (a one pixel wide vertical line):

It will be noticed that the vertical alignment is pretty accurate.

Horizontally (a one pixel high horizontal line):

The horizontal alignment is marred by the fact that red consists of two lines of pixels, the upper line slightly fainter in colour. (This upper line is not visible in the photo, but is quite visible to the naked eye). This may be an anomaly in the video processing; or perhaps it was set that way at the factory to attempt to average out the misalignment of the blue (in a low position) and green (in a high position).

This is something I may have to ask Sony to check.

I would have thought a better compromise would have been to drop the line of green pixels by one pixel position; and to dispense with the upper line of red pixels.

Position of centre speaker

I have the SXRD mounted on a coffee table, and a centre speaker sits on the 'magazine shelf' of the coffee table, as per this picture. The screen is displaying a mallard and ducklings, superimposed on an 'outer geometry' test pattern.

The sound seems fine*. However I'll try some critical listening to material with centre channel content, before posting comments in the Home Theatre sub-forum.

* P.S. Until playing a DVD with strong centre channel content! The centre speaker will need to be raised.

#27 dlenaid

dlenaid

AV Forums Member

• 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:46 AM

Thanks mate. At least I'm getting 1:1 pixel mapping on this set, albeit with overscan. :blink:
Hi dlenaid. People tell me I'm very critical of picture quality, but I have found the performance of my 60" SXRD quite good on all standard definition channels except SBS.

I wonder if you could advise:
*Which standard definition channels have you been watching?
*What viewing distance are you using to watch them?
*How do you rate the picture quality you are getting from your ordinary DVDs?

SBS high definition is not that much better than their standard definition. I understand SBS's budget is limited and they do not invest a great deal in their transmitting equipment. They even seem to broadcast at low signal strength (at least in Brisbane).

I've compared the picture from my Topfield standard definition PVR through component, with the SXRD's internal tuner, and the SXRDs is a little better; but you have the 70" model so there would be no internal tuner.

I note that you were using a Sony HD PVR, and someone suggested an LG as it supposedly has better picture quality.

It does surprise me you are finding the SD transmissions so poor, unless you mainly watch SBS.
Since I wrote the above, the set has been in use for a further 7 hours or so, doubling as a computer monitor in addition to its function as a TV.

I am finding the colour even better this evening. It is beginning to attain the uncanny realism I saw in the showroom. Ultra High Pressure lamps are supposed to vary with age, losing brightness, but I am surprised at how much variation I have noticed so far in the colour. My partner has also noticed the improvement. This is a most interesting phenomenon. When these sets are reviewed, I wonder whether the manufacturer supplies a set with a lamp that has been 'run in'.

MLXXX we watch much TV on all channels. Telecast quality do not think is best on any channels. It is the rubbish on the telecast that is hard not to see. For high definition channels channel 7, channel 2 and for SBS we do not see much improve. For high definition channels 9 and channel 10 there is sometimes some true high definition but if you look carefull there is rubbish there on screen. DVD quality is good not like Blu-ray but not too much rubbish like with TV telecast.

We have done many distances from the television. From 2 meters for Blu-ray and high definition TV telecast and 3.5 meters far for standard television telecast. We now have sofa at 3.5 meters which too far to see blu-ray properly but with TV we see less rubbish.

I have compared in Harvey Norman this week the Sony HDPVR and LG HDPVR. There is little difference. The rubbish is there with both equipment, maybe little less to see with the LG HDPVR.

When went to buy the TV in store we liked Blu-ray picture, we did not see before buying on TV telecast. Since buying the TV we are noticing poor TV telecast picture. Maybe we are pickie. Maybe one day TV will improve like Blu-ray. Not all blu-ray is best but TV telecast has much rubbish.

#28 pietro

pietro

AV Forums Member

• 2,576 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:17 AM

Pietro,

You commented the SXRD was noisy - how does it compare to the Toshi which was my only other criticism of it.

Ironically, the fan noise from the Sony is louder than the colour wheel noise of the Tosh, at this stage. I'm hoping that the Sony will get quieter as it runs in, though I am about 100 hours up now.

Thanks for the comments re convergence. I'm still thinking that as the picture is so good now especially on HD, I may well leave it alone.

The other thought is if I can get someone to calibrate it, and they have the service manual, I could get the convergence done then. I really don't think a country service agent is going to have any idea and might make it worse.

I think OZHTfan is on hols.....I know his was calibrated, though from what I remember it seems to have been done without the service manual.

I am getting a Tosh HD-E1, can't wait to see the HD-DVDs on this set.

#29 AndrewWilliams

AndrewWilliams

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:34 AM

Ironically, the fan noise from the Sony is louder than the colour wheel noise of the Tosh, at this stage

Jeez, I'm finding that in a room where I can hear a pin drop, I can't hear the sound of the SXRD fan. The only time I can hear it is if I poke my head around the back of the TV. Maybe for once in my life I got a good sample because I'm not having any of the issues that others are posting about.

#30 drsmith

drsmith

AV Forums Member

• 3,774 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

It's very difficult photographing the convergence malalignment with a consumer level digital camera. The trouble is that a consumer level still camera will only focus with a sweet spot in an isolated region. Anyway, here is a picture taken of my 60" set displaying a convergence test pattern to give a very broad idea: http://www.dtvforum....t...ost&id=2372

The above test pattern looks like one from http://www.idk-tech....s/techpcvg.html which I have also viewed on my unit.

For testing convergence and doing pixel counts on geometry, I used the crosshatch pattern from the test pattern software I downloaded from the above link. It is possible to adjust both the width of the lines and the size of the black squares between the lines to any pixel width.

With the default settings for the crosshatch (spacing 1, width 32), any convergence error at a per pixel level shows up very well. Any variation in convergence across the screen can also be seen. The one pixel convergence error on my unit manifested itself as white horizontal lines one pixel wide showing up as two seperate colours (neither white), each one pixel wide when viewed at close range. This test pattern also made it very easy for the service tech to apply the appropriate adjustment through the service menu (in my case a vertical adjustment of one colour by one pixel).

Viewing black text on a white background at native (for example: forum web pages) will also reveal any convergence error at the per pixel level.

With regard to pixel count on geometry, I used the crosshatch pattern with the whte lines one pixel wide and the black squares inbetween at 2x2 pixels (spacing 1, width 3). Spacing 1 and width 2 is the most ideal setting for pixel count if convergence is good to start off with.

For comparison puropses I will do a revised pixel count on geometry later today exactly as you have done in your earlier post here using the above crosshatch pattern.

#31 Nullack

Nullack

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:41 AM

Jeez, I'm finding that in a room where I can hear a pin drop, I can't hear the sound of the SXRD fan. The only time I can hear it is if I poke my head around the back of the TV. Maybe for once in my life I got a good sample because I'm not having any of the issues that others are posting about.

Me too, for all practical purposes the normal cooling fan mode is silent at 2meters viewing distance.

#32 pietro

pietro

AV Forums Member

• 2,576 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:50 AM

I sit at 4m and can hear the fan. (Is there only one?) I do live in the country though and there is virtually no background noise. Also I wonder whether the fan noise could be resonating in the wooden shelf of the stand? Yet another factor is the plastic casing of the rear part of the unit. Give that a tap and hear there is no deadening in it at all.

I suppose with the convergence issue, the most important question is does it make any real-world difference to the picture if it's a bit out? I was watching Food Safari India (SBS) last night and the colours were absolutely extraordinary.

#33 drsmith

drsmith

AV Forums Member

• 3,774 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

I sit at 4m and can hear the fan.

Have you checked the cooling mode ?

The fan may be on the high speed setting.

But mine definitely has an issue with convergence. See Could other owners please have a look and see how their sets compare. When watching the cricket (I sit at 4m) I can often see a red edge on the right of the white outfit, and a green edge on the left. Maybe because I have had 3 CRT RPTVs before I am very prone to noticing any convergence problems. I believe that with any RPTV with the 3 colours separated there will always be a problem to some degree. That was one area where the DLP was perfect.

I suppose with the convergence issue, the most important question is does it make any real-world difference to the picture if it's a bit out? I was watching Food Safari India (SBS) last night and the colours were absolutely extraordinary.

If there is an issue that bothers you when watching the cricket or anything else at a normal viewing distance, then to me that consitutes a real world difference to the picture.

EDIT:
With a one pixel error on mine, I could not notice it when viewing video content. If you have a PC (as described in post 25), the test patterns used by myself and MLXXX could yield very interesting results on your unit.

#34 pietro

pietro

AV Forums Member

• 2,576 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

Have you checked the cooling mode ?

The fan may be on the high speed setting.

If there is an issue that bothers you when watching the cricket or anything else at a normal viewing distance, then to me that consitutes a real world difference to the picture.

The fan is definitely on low-speed.

The cricket is the only time I have noticed any convergence problems from my viewing seat. Ch9's (WIN's) picture is so full of artifacts that it seems just another aspect of their crappy transmission.

I think the problem might be I'm so sick of all the things that happened with the DLP I really don't want to go through it all again with Sony. Hence "put up with it" and accept that no TV is perfect. I think I can live with the issues, at this stage anyway

#35 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forums Member

• 5,254 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:34 AM

Jeez, I'm finding that in a room where I can hear a pin drop, I can't hear the sound of the SXRD fan. The only time I can hear it is if I poke my head around the back of the TV.

My situation too! In fact if I had not known it had a fan, and therefore expressly listened for it, I would possibly still not know it had a fan! And I've had no mysterious shut-downs, touch wood.

Pietro mentions possible resonance of the cabinet. In my own case, the coffee table that supports the TV is on a mat. Also, behind the TV there is a medium weight curtain.

To me the glory of the SXRD is the colours…….rich and deep.

Yes! Reds and yellows are vibrant. Greens seem to have a wide range, noticeable on foliage. Overall, for my vision, the colours are closer to reality than with slim panel LCDs, and plasmas.

... For high definition channels channel 7, channel 2 and for SBS we do not see much improve. For high definition channels 9 and channel 10 there is sometimes some true high definition but if you look carefull there is rubbish there on screen. DVD quality is good not like Blu-ray but not too much rubbish like with TV telecast.

It's disappointing Channel 7 HD only manages 576p. It is a major telecaster and yet all it is offering is a standard definition number of lines, with progressive scanning. SBS HD's 576p seems even worse, probably due to a low bit-rate. I find ABC HD's 720p pretty good. The high resolution of the SXRD does reveal the 'swirls' of MPEG encoding. Ch 9 HD and Ch 10 HD can be quite impressive.

... But mine definitely has an issue with convergence. See Could other owners please have a look and see how their sets compare. When watching the cricket (I sit at 4m) I can often see a red edge on the right of the white outfit, and a green edge on the left. Maybe because I have had 3 CRT RPTVs before I am very prone to noticing any convergence problems. I believe that with any RPTV with the 3 colours separated there will always be a problem to some degree. That was one area where the DLP was perfect.

At a viewing distance of 2.2m, we notice tinges occasionally, to the left or the right. Only once so far has it been really marked: during the cricket, a player's hair had a noticeable green tinge to the right, against a bright background. There could be factors coming into play other than convergence misalignment:
* on our SXRD, horizontally there appear to be some variations in colour saturation at transitions, even with video 'enhancements' turned off, when viewing a PC generated test pattern.
* MPEG encoding favours intensity detail over colour detail. The MPEG decoder has to make approximations where colour is concerned. A high resolution CRT could be used for comparison.

But really, for us, the tinges are minor.

#36 pietro

pietro

AV Forums Member

• 2,576 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

Pietro mentions possible resonance of the cabinet. In my own case, the coffee table that supports the TV is on a mat. Also, behind the TV there is a medium weight curtain.

I think a heavy curtain could definitely make a difference. I was also wondering about some sound-deadening material on the sloping back of the cabinet. Also the thought of putting something between the base and the stand to see if that makes a difference.

#37 Nullack

Nullack

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:54 AM

The convergence can be fixed Pietro, this isnt a Toshiba :blink: See Dr Smiths post in the other thread about what he did to fix his

#38 Owen

Owen

AV Forums Member

• 11,847 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

Me too, for all practical purposes the normal cooling fan mode is silent at 2meters viewing distance.

I have to agree, even late at night in a rural area I found the fan only really audible with my head behind the set.
At 3 meters viewing distance is was basically silent and much less noticeable then the sound of a fridge running 8 meters away.

I cant think of anything with fan cooling that is quieter then the 60” SXRD that I heard in a domestic environment.

Petro,
The sound of the fan could be getting amplified by the environment behind the set.
Maybe some acoustic tiles on the wall would help.

There is a sticky thread about reducing Plasma buzz with sound treatment.

#39 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forums Member

• 5,254 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:54 AM

The convergence can be fixed Pietro, this isnt a Toshiba :blink: See Dr Smiths post in the other thread about what he did to fix his

The fix is an electronic shift in the timing, in multiples of one pixel; not a physical adjustment to the optics.

In a worst case scenario, after electronic adjustment, the pixels could remain misaligned by 0.5 pixels [assuming the same misconvergence across the whole of the screen - otherwise the maximum misalignment could be worse than 0.5 pixels].

I will be interested to find out whether there really is an adjustment to cause an adjacent pixel to be brought into play. On my set, red horizontally is showing as two lines of pixels, as per my post #26 above.

#40 pietro

pietro

AV Forums Member

• 2,576 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

There is a sticky thread about reducing Plasma buzz with sound treatment.

Didn't know about that. Thanks.

#41 drsmith

drsmith

AV Forums Member

• 3,774 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:59 PM

Screen geometry
The first few seconds of viewing was of the tennis, and MLXXX's eagle eye immediately saw that the tennis court lines on the left hand side had a slight curve. :blink: However over subsequent hours of general video viewing, this was not noticeable.

Measurement revealed relatively minor discrepancies.

In the diagram below, the outer rectangle represents the 1920x1080 picture with no overscan. Points A to E make up an inside rectangle (the brown dots), and are the outermost points of what can actually be seen on the screen. (There is significant overscan, as is the conventional practice with all televisions.)

|...............................................................................
.........|
|..A......................................B........................................
C
..|
|...................................................................................
.....|
|...................................................................................
.....|
.....|
.....|
|..D................................................................................E..|
.....|
.....|
.....|
.....|
.....|
|..F.........................................G.....................................
H
..|
|...............................................................................
.........|

I'm a little unsure of the pixel measurements horizontally but as best I could establish, the figures are as follows:

A is 33 pixels down, and 50 pixels in from the left.
B is 29 pixels down.
C is 33 pixels down and 50 pixels in from the right.
D is 49 pixels in from the left.
E is 47 pixels in from the right.
F is 25 pixels up from the bottom, and 52 pixels to the right.
G is 30 pixels up from the bottom.
H is 30 pixels up from the bottom, and 49 pixels in from the right.

So of a 1920x 1080 picture about 1820 x 1020 pixels can be seen, representing an overscan factor of around 5%. Here is how my test pattern looked:
http://www.dtvforum....t...ost&id=2359

The digital camera used contributed its own geometrical artefacts.

It will be noted the 'horizontal shift' on the SXRD is set at 1, which seemed equivalent to about 6 pixels. Before that adjustment, the whole picture was a little left of centre.

With a bit more time on my side, I have had a second attempt to improve the pincushion error. Whilst I have not been able to eliminate it I have been able to facilitate a further slight improvement and I have also corrected the minor rotational error with my unit.

Geometric errors are now as follows,

From A through B to C on your diagram I have a 5 pixel sag from A to B before rising 5 pixels from B to C. This compares with a 4 pixel sag on your unit.

From A to D I gain an extra 2 pixels. This compares with 1 pixel on your unit.
From D to F I loose 5 pixels. This compares with 3 pixels on your unit.

From F to H through G I have a 3 pixel sag from F to G before rising 3 pixels from G to H. This compares to a 5 pixel sag from F to G with no change from G to H on your unit.

From C to E I gain an extra 2 pixels. This compares with 3 pixels on your unit.
From E to H I loose 6 pixels. This compares with 5 pixels on your unit.

With the light engine positioned as far back as I can move it from the trapezoid adjustment, I am still 3 pixels short of being able to eliminate it on both sides of the screen (6 pixels in total). I have however been able to correct the minor rotational error.

Despite my adjustments, the geometry on your 60" unit is superior to my 70" unit on most of the above measurements and it would be interesting to know if a slightly larger geometric error is typical of 70" units when compared to 60" units. As it it I have at least been able to facilitate some improvement.

As I have stated in the past, I find that the geometric error in my unit does not impact on video viewing in any way and is only noticable when using the SXRD as a PC monitor.

#42 Riv39

Riv39

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

***SNIP***

I think OZHTfan is on hols.....I know his was calibrated, though from what I remember it seems to have been done without the service manual.

I am getting a Tosh HD-E1, can't wait to see the HD-DVDs on this set.

Pietro, you don't need the service manual to calibrate the set and as for fan noise.......what fan noise.....mine's so quiet my wife :blink: can't hear it........

#43 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forums Member

• 5,254 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:40 PM

Screen geometry
The first few seconds of viewing was of the tennis, and MLXXX's eagle eye immediately saw that the tennis court lines on the left hand side had a slight curve. :blink: However over subsequent hours of general video viewing, this was not noticeable.

Measurement revealed relatively minor discrepancies.

In the diagram below, the outer rectangle represents the 1920x1080 picture with no overscan. Points A to E make up an inside rectangle (the brown dots), and are the outermost points of what can actually be seen on the screen. (There is significant overscan, as is the conventional practice with all televisions.)

.........|
|..A......................................B........................................
C
..|
.....|
.....|
.....|
.....|
|..D................................................................................E..|
.....|
.....|
.....|
.....|
.....|
|..F.........................................G.....................................
H
..|
.........|

I have remeasured the geometry, using a PC generated convergence pattern as a guide, and with the help of the screen position controls in the Setup Menu [below 'lamp replacement' ].

My revised and simplified figures (to the nearest pixel) are:

Vertical variations:
A as reference
B 3 pixels downwards
C 2 pixels upwards relative to B (or 1 pixel down relative to A)

F as reference
G 4 pixels upwards
H same as G

Horizontal variations:
A as reference
D 1 pixel to the right
F 3 pixels to the left relative to D (or 2 pixels to the left relative to A)
C as a reference
E 2 pixels to the left
H 2 pixels to the right relative to E (or the same horizontal position as C)

Or as an exaggerated diagram.

Even when a convergence pattern is displayed, as here, the differences do not jump out of the screen. I don't know whether I will bother to try to improve the geometry as Dr Smith has with his set
(congrats Doctor!); mine might aleady be close to its optimum adjustment. In any event, I think I'll wait till my issue with convergence of horizontal red lines is resolved.

By the way, it may be noted from the picture just above that the Centre speaker is now positioned higher up, close to the bottom of the screen*. This is giving a much clearer sound than when the speaker was near the floor.

*More detail in the Home Theatre sub-forum here.

#44 drsmith

drsmith

AV Forums Member

• 3,774 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

I have remeasured the geometry, using a PC generated convergence pattern as a guide, and with the help of the screen position controls in the Setup Menu [below 'lamp replacement' ].

My revised and simplified figures (to the nearest pixel) are:

Vertical variations:
A as reference
B 3(5) pixels downwards
C 2(5) pixels upwards relative to B (or 1(0) pixel down relative to A)

F as reference
G 4 pixels upwards (3 pixels downwards)
H same as G (3 pixels upwards (same as F))

Horizontal variations:
A as reference
D 1(2) pixel to the right
F 3(5) pixels to the left relative to D (or 2(3) pixels to the left relative to A)
C as a reference
E 2(2) pixels to the left
H 2(6) pixels to the right relative to E (or the same horizontal position as C(4 pixels to the right of C)

Or as an exaggerated diagram.
Even when a convergence pattern is displayed, as here, the differences do not jump out of the screen. I don't know whether I will bother to try to improve the geometry as Dr Smith has with his set
(congrats Doctor!); mine might aleady be close to its optimum adjustment. In any event, I think I'll wait till my issue with convergence of horizontal red lines is resolved.

By the way, it may be noted from the picture just above that the Centre speaker is now positioned higher up, close to the bottom of the screen. This is giving a much clearer sound than when the speaker was near the floor.

I have added my geometry figures in red to yours quoted above.

Looking at your figures, I would say that your display is very close to optimum adjustment.

The other interesting difference is that your display is slightly concave on all four sides whereas mine is slightly concave on 3 sides and slightly convex across the bottom.

#45 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forums Member

• 5,254 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:29 AM

Well Dr Smith, you have been good enough to put your figures in for comparison.

So I have prepared an exaggerated diagram for your 70" SXRD.

As you have indicated, these variations go unnoticed with video material.

Even when using the SXRD as a PC monitor, they are of little consequence.

#46 AndrewWilliams

AndrewWilliams

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

The geometry on my display varies by about 2-5 pixels on the sides and you're right - even for PC use, it's inconsequential. It's mainly because of the natural perspective distortion you get from sitting in front of a big screen like this anyway.

#47 drsmith

drsmith

AV Forums Member

• 3,774 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

I have removed the speakers from my 70" and replaced them with the alternative side panels that were packaged with the unit.

I find the reduced width of the unit without the speakers to be an improvement.

#48 dlenaid

dlenaid

AV Forums Member

• 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:41 AM

I notice this posting by Owen in another topic.

My other display is a 57” 1080 unit viewed from 2.8 meters. Austar looks poor on this display as one would expect, but then again most digital free to air and DVD does not look that good either, even with the help of FFDShow video processing and high quality scaling on the PC.

On the big screen all SD source looks bloody sad compared to good 1080 content, and even 720p content is ordinary in comparison to 1080 when viewed on a 57” 1080 display at 2.8 meters.
Top quality 1080 source is so much better then any SD on a big screen it’s simply insane, and the big screen is dramatically more impressive and immersive then the little 86cm.
HD on the little 86cm at 2 meters is better then SD but not by that much, and frankly I could easily live without it. If the viewing distance was much greater, resolution would be a none issue as far as I am concerned.

On a big screen viewed up close, screen and video resolution is vital, and the big screen viewing experience is dramatically different and superior to a small screen.
After two years with a 57”, I’m ready to go up to a 70” 1080 display, still to be viewed from the same 2.8 meters.

Foxtel /Austar quality is not good on large screens but the content is so much better then free to air I can easily live with it.

If I want HD content, I can find more worthwhile 1080 HD on line in one day then is available on free to air TV in a year.

We do not have Cable TV but what he says with his 57" display is what we are seeing with our 70" sxrd, maybe little worse because of bigger screen ?. Television telecast quality on this TV we are very dissapointed with. We watch most of time Standard Definition TV, only little High Definition on telecast. Some DVD look good but most look not so good. Blu-ray is best but we do not have much discs.

Maybe we should get cable TV ? is that High Definition Telecast ?. I would like to find 1080 HD on line but do not know where.

#49 Owen

Owen

AV Forums Member

• 11,847 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:27 AM

Big screens need higher quality video to look good, that’s a fact of life. However the size of the image makes for a more enjoyable viewing experience IMHO, even though the defects in the source are more noticeable.

Check you mail mate.

#50 blacknbrindle

blacknbrindle

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:26 PM

Ok ive run into a bit of a dilema , as you can see from the bottom of my post i have the Yamaha RX-V2700 and just installed the Sony 60 in SXRD .
The 2700 can upscale all video and pass it through to the hdmi cable and onto the screen . I have my xbox 360 connected up via component and have the conversion to HDMI turned on but have it set to pass through the resolution to the hdmi port without upscaling . If i try and set any resolution on the 360 except for 1080p it sends the signal through without a problem and the corresponding signal quickly shows up on the top left of the screen Eg: 1080i etc . But if i try and set it to 1080p it just goes black and reverts to the screen saver of the Yamaha .
If i check the information setting in the Yammy's menu it says the signal is 1080p but only shows 576i at the hdmi port ?