Official Hd Dvd Software Thread

• Please log in to reply
669 replies to this topic

#651 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forum Member

• 4,896 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the link, MeWhoElse, just about to try it out ;)

3.18GB compressed into a 19.6MB rar file :o that would have to be the best I've seen, pretty impressive

cheers :)

Edited by MACCA350, 03 December 2007 - 10:13 PM.

#652 jayson5

jayson5

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:53 PM

Reserviour Dogs

This is a Dutch version of this movie on HD DVD bought through, need I say it, XploitedCinema.

The last time I watched this movie was on video, so any newer version was going to be good. This movie was amazing, easily one of the best transfers I have seen. It was encoded in Mpeg2, yet every detail is perfect. There is the scene where Chris Penns character and Micheal Madsens character are play fighting in the office, and when they are finished there is a small amount of dialogue from Chris Penn that is a close up of his face. You can see every drip of sweat on his face and actually watch it run down to his nose and drip off.

There are 4 audio tracks. There is an english Dolby Digital Track (no plus sorry). A DTS HD master track (which was amazing) and 2 commentary tracks, that mind you were done not by the actors or quentin tarantino, but some danish guys (yes seemed peculiar to me too).

The DTS HD track was simply flawless. When the cast are initially talking at the start of the movie, every sound can heard, from people in the restaurant, to, dropped forks, every actor has a different channel if they are talking off camera. The scene where vick vega is torturing the cop couldn't have sounded any better with stuck in the middle playing through all speaker whilst the cop switches between channels as the camera moves. It is very good.

There is a bucketload of extras, which I think may have been transfered from the SD DVD version, plus the clip to little green bag, and because the singer of that song is dutch, and ad for his greatest hits CD.

The only thing bad about this HD DVD is that it caused me to have a HDMI handshake problem. Seems weird doesn't it. And every time you switch between the menu (yes it has one like the SD DVD version) the audio and video change, causing what seems like a small HDMI problem.

This DVD does not have PIP or the ability to access the menu while you are watching the movie, but it is none the less an amazing transfer of an amazing movie. This HD DVD is Demo material all the way.

Jayson

#653 malewis

malewis

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:07 PM

Just finished watching Motorhead's Stagefright <_<

Very good PQ and editing, good setlist but sound (DTS 5.1) was just OK - this seems to be a common theme on these SPV discs :mellow:

Lots of extras, which I haven't delved into yet, too apparently

Watched Face/Off last night - it's wonderfully silly, as are most of John Woo's films, with goodish PQ and very goode AQ

Also watched Transformers the night before and I've never heard a better sounding disc on my setup even though it's not lossless. PQ was also fantastic but I did have one slight audio glitch on my A1. Again haven't looked at any extras

Cheers

Martin

#654 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

oops wrong thread ! bugger, call it a hangover peter ! hehe

#655 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,296 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:36 AM

Ummmm......

Isn't this a BluRay title? :huh:

Little under the weather there Al? :P

#656 bigkid

bigkid

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

Yes have to agree about Transformers, PQ is top notch.

Cheers,

Karen

Check out the make-up lines around the 'sweat' on the soldiers faces and necks in the chopper during the opening scene! Fabulous picture. Shame some of the sequences just happen too fast to get a good look at the picture quality, with only one or two 'bot action sequences done in slo-mo.

Allan

#657 crtlover

crtlover

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

Atonement announced for April 30 release at Ezydvd
plus Battlestar Galactica Season 1 March 5

Edited by crtlover, 28 January 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#658 dave c

dave c

AV Forum Member

• 12 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

batman begins = awsome!

Since the other HD DVD owners thread is getting huge, I thought we should keep that one for hardware (which it is mostly about now) and have a new one for software, as in opinions/reviews/thoughts on movies you have watched in HD DVD. (instead of having individual reviews in the review section)

We'll see how it goes. Just put the movie title in bold for easy viewing :)

AGAIN, NO BLURAY VS HD DVD TALK.
................................................................................
Batman Begins Impressions

Finally got to watch Batman Begins tonight. After watching it, I realise how good an upconverting player my Sony DVPNS 92 hdmi player was. There was not a day and night difference in picture quality.

I was pretty disappointed with the first 20 min, which looked just a bit clearer than the upscaled version. I was never a fan of the first 20 min, i think its the colours or the soft look of it. Once I passed this, the HD DVD version started to shine. From the moment Bruce starts his training it starts to look really good. When he becomes Batman, this is where the picture shines. Its so detailed and blacks are black with excellent shadow detail. Not alot of 3D effects (ice fight and gotham at night near end are standouts) but just a clean detailed picture. No where as near as good in pic quality as MI:3 or CORiddick, but a very good transfer.

Soundwise, this movie kills. The Bass is awsome, the the last 20 min, with the train sequence......my oh my, this almost blew my walls down. I had to turn the volume up a little more for the TrueHD track, but again after the first 30 min when the actions starts, it really kicks in. Does it beat the SD DVD version, sh$$ yeah, but only once the action starts up.

All up it shows how good the SD version was, but this takes it up a notch. The sound is definitely a 10, and the pic is almost there, but I think i was too spoiled with how the upconverted version looked. Still, an excellent tittle. Nothing beats MI:3 yet, but reading about King Kong, it might have some competition...

Can't wait to watch MI:3 again. Can't say enough about this movie..
MI:3 IMPRESSIONS

Is it all its cracked up to be......

HELLL YEAH !!!!

I think I've just found my new reference HD DVD. This movie is so picturesque it's not funny. The Scenes in Rome are just gorgeous. The 3D element to this is unbelievable !! It's just like being there. The colours are deep and detailed Likewise when they go to China, where most is at night, the clarity and 3D look is amazing.

This HV DVD is definitely my new reference movie now, as it shows a good cobination of day and night, and is sooooo detailed, all in it's 3D glory, where Chronicles is mostly dark throughout. If there's 1 HD DVD you have to get it's this.

Sound wise, it's amazing. The first 15 min the surrounds are quiet, but after that it never stops. Bullets ricochet around, bouncing off metal objects, you will be ducking yourself. The bass is very tight and all 5.1 speakers never let up. The bridge scene is fantastic with jets swishing by from left to right.

The movie is pretty darn good do. Just action from start to finish with the usual twists, typical for a MI movie.

I thought I had heard and saw home theater perfection with Chronicles of Riddick, but overall I think this is a better film and better picture quality with more 3D effects. Just wait until you see it, some scene are like looking out a window !! Best thing was, there was rarely any FP noise from my projector.

Those that are waiting this title or bought a player and wondering what movie to play first, MI:3 IS IT !!!!!!!!!
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory Impressions

Picture starts off with darker colours, then opens up in to the lavish greens and reds when you get inside the factory. Not alot of 3D effects, but a clean colourful picture. The faces on the people (mainly willy wonka) are soft at times but this was the was it was shot/meant to be by the director. Not a bad movie either. Not a reference title but excellent.

One thing watching this movie, it it really showes the FP noise on my projector with the light blue backgrounds (the squirel room) Will be defnitely be upgrading my projector in the next 6 months as this is the only thing that annoys me about my whole set up.. The Pana AE700 doesnt do the best job with daylight/bright scenes, as shows FP noise. Darker scenes and movies and jaw dropping and 3D like.

Sound was pretty good too. The music is good, but the soundtrack is mainly front heavy. Dialogue was clear but the ompa ompa songs were hard to understand at times.

Overall great movie and a very colourful movie to show HD DVD to those who want to show a more family frinedly movie
F & F -Tokyo Drift Impressions

Finally watched Tokyo Drift on HD DVD last night. WOW the sound is awsome. Not as detailed or nor does it have the pans of the surrounds like my ref title chronicles of Ricddick, but really good sound. Felt like i was in a nightclub for 2 hrs with the music. Probably has rattled my walls the most out of all my dvd's. Since its a newly built house, hope it doesnt contribute to more cracks in the cornieces !!! The car sounds sounded like you were there, and loved the 'grunt' sound of some of the engines.

Picture was pretty good, again no where near as good as chronicles, but very clean and bright. I think ive been spoiled by HD DVD now as my eyes are used to the picture quality and didnt get a sexcitied as when i first got it. But then i flipped over to the SD DVD side to watch the sd dvd and OMG, it really look like i was running a VHS player on my projector. I used to think my sd dvd looked 'almost hd' but boy was i wrong. The pic was soft and washed out.

Put back in the HD DVD side and 'snap' pic looked crisp and colours were gorgeous. Watching HD DVD on a projector on a 100' screen reminds me of like watching a 100" plasma. Sure a 42" plasma will look more 3d than a 100' screen, but as in clarity its on a par.
Chronicles of Riddick Impressions

(This was prior to MI:3)

Just finished watching Chronicles of Riddick with a few friends on my projector.

I must say in all of the last 8 or so years in owning/getting in to HT/demoing at shops/going to cinemas, tonight i just witness THE BEST picture my eyes have ever seen on screen and the best sound i have ever heard in my life !!!

This is no understatement. Chronicles of Riddick is the best DEMO movie i have ever seen/heard.

I have never seen a picture so 3d like and crystal clear. Couldnt wipe the smile of my face and friends couldn't believe what they saw. It is photographic and so detailed its unbelievable. Show anyone this HD DVD and i guarantee they will be sold.

The sound is just jaw-dropping. The DD+ soundtrack makes saving private ryan dts sound like dolby prologic. Words cannot descibe how perfect the sound was. Bass knocks you dead, my blinds were blowing from the air from the sub ! Dialogue is spot on, and the surrounds....my god the surrounds. The end battle whizes around all the speakers and the panning through out the movie from rear to front is second to none. Examples are when the ships fly towards you at the screen or coming in from the left to the front. Detailed/open/crisp, its got it all.

Anyone that has a HD DVD player, you just have to get this title. I've been reading about this title being #1 demo title, and im usually so-so but this is the title to own. The story isnt half bad either i thought. non stop from start to end.

Tonight I witnessed Home Theater perfection with HD DVD. Bring it on !!
................................................................................
So far my favourites in relation to reference quality:

MI:3 - 10/10 (ABSOLUTE REFERENCE)
CORiddick - 9.5
Training Day - 8.75
Tokyo Drift -8.5
Batman Begins - 8.5 (sound is definitely a 10)
CATCFactory -8
Aeon Flux -8

Still to watch and unwrap - The Rundown, T2, End of days.

#659 mwd

mwd

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

Watched Perfume story of a Murderer. Thought it maybe crap but actually enjoyed it more than I would have imagined.

Very well photographed, attack with an open mind well worth the trouble just for the classy way it has been done. Better not to have looked at HDVdigest before watching this it will spoil the illusion.

#660 Autocrat

Autocrat

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:42 AM

I recently swapped an extra copy of Apollo 13 for Chronicles of Riddick. CofR looks fantastic, and the excellent picture quality sustained me for a full 45 minutes, at which point the incoherent plot, bad acting, incessant use of cliches and the embarrasment I felt for Judi Dench kicked in and I had to turn it off.

Recommended for showing how good HD can look, but I'd turn the sound down and point out the picture quality rather than actually watching it. I think I'd rather have watched Apollo 13 consecutively on two separate discs.

#661 gazman55

gazman55

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:13 PM

Can anyone advise what movies out there have been released with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack that can be recommended? I'm soon to pick up my XE-1 player and Yammie 1800 and keen to put the new sound format through its paces if there's some decent soundtracks out there (albeit in 5.1 only). In checking EzyDVD's sale catalogue online they had 'The Kingdom' showing up as having a TrueHD soundtrack but when I was in their store earlier tonight the cover of The Kingdom copy they had on the rack (still marked at full price) showed the audio as Dolby Digital Plus! Which am I to believe, because I doubt Id rely on the opinion of the girl behind the counter somehow?

Thanks for anyone's help on this.

#662 dunk05

dunk05

AV Forum Member

• 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:49 AM

Can anyone advise what movies out there have been released with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack that can be recommended? I'm soon to pick up my XE-1 player and Yammie 1800 and keen to put the new sound format through its paces if there's some decent soundtracks out there (albeit in 5.1 only). In checking EzyDVD's sale catalogue online they had 'The Kingdom' showing up as having a TrueHD soundtrack but when I was in their store earlier tonight the cover of The Kingdom copy they had on the rack (still marked at full price) showed the audio as Dolby Digital Plus! Which am I to believe, because I doubt Id rely on the opinion of the girl behind the counter somehow?

Thanks for anyone's help on this.

V for Vendetta,
Batman Begins
Matrix Triology

I usually look at highdefdigest for soundtrack reviews. (I really like V for Vendetta though )

Dunk

#663 gazman55

gazman55

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

V for Vendetta,
Batman Begins
Matrix Triology

I usually look at highdefdigest for soundtrack reviews. (I really like V for Vendetta though )
Dunk

Thanks for the guidance Dunk, maybe explains why Batman Begins is highly sought after as reference standard HD DVD.

Gaz

#664 Munkay

Munkay

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

#665 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

there's an appropriate place for this sort of thing, and this aint it.

#666 2ZZ-GE

2ZZ-GE

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

I have an xbox HD drive bought locally, will the HD DVD purchased from amazon work since they are US copy?
Does HD DVD have any region locked - found some articles said they do not have any region locked for HD DVD , this only applies to Blu-RAY? Sorry abt this question but I am new here.

#667 AK Anthony

AK Anthony

AV Forum Member

• 2,898 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

I have an xbox HD drive bought locally, will the HD DVD purchased from amazon work since they are US copy?
Does HD DVD have any region locked - found some articles said they do not have any region locked for HD DVD , this only applies to Blu-RAY? Sorry abt this question but I am new here.

HD-DVD = no region-coding

Your US HD-DVD discs will work fine :)

#668 Bizi

Bizi

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hello,
I wonder who is interested in doing (or reading/using) HD DVD / BD reviews in our respective blogs?
I notice at least one HD DVD forum person used to list their collection in their blog but it is now empty/erased.

Is this why there are not many active blogs for DTV members?

Per my link signature, I'll attempt a brief review of my collection, not much but a little bit of an impression.
Please comment if you have ideas or tips to improve what I report.

I've just posted my disc collection yesterday and a quickie review of Smokin' Aces. I happened to have an open copy of it so had a quick watch - hence the review being superficial.

Is there a better place, like a review/discussion thread, where this kind of review would be appreciated?
I could post there and just put a copy in the blog link. :)

Thanks for your participation on the HD DVD threads! :D

#669 AK Anthony

AK Anthony

AV Forum Member

• 2,898 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

Hello,
I wonder who is interested in doing (or reading/using) HD DVD / BD reviews in our respective blogs?
I notice at least one HD DVD forum person used to list their collection in their blog but it is now empty/erased.

Is this why there are not many active blogs for DTV members?

Per my link signature, I'll attempt a brief review of my collection, not much but a little bit of an impression.
Please comment if you have ideas or tips to improve what I report.

I've just posted my disc collection yesterday and a quickie review of Smokin' Aces. I happened to have an open copy of it so had a quick watch - hence the review being superficial.

Is there a better place, like a review/discussion thread, where this kind of review would be appreciated?
I could post there and just put a copy in the blog link. :)

Thanks for your participation on the HD DVD threads! :D

i do the odd in-depth HD movie review. I've published three in my downloadable magazine, and 7 more are in the pipeline for my next issue (6 of which are Blu-Rays).

I also post my collection within my blog and i think you'll find a thread for review/synopsis. I don't post mine there yet because it seems to only be for HD-DVD and my reviews tend to be reasonably long.

#670 HumanMedia

HumanMedia

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

Im trying to create a reference listing of all HD DVD titles released in the USA, Australia and international releases that dont have an equivalent USA release.

Im calling on everyones assistance to correct, amend and make these lists perfect. Please help out with any definite info you may have.

Here are the lists:

USA
http://www.releaseli...rthAmerica.html

International
http://www.releaseli...ernational.html

Australia
http://www.releaseli...DAustralia.html

BTW in checking with Amazon USA almost all HD DVD titles are restocked and still selling, unfortunately not at the local discounted prices though.