• Please log in to reply
669 replies to this topic

#1 dazbug

dazbug

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:28 PM

Since the other HD DVD owners thread is getting huge, I thought we should keep that one for hardware (which it is mostly about now) and have a new one for software, as in opinions/reviews/thoughts on movies you have watched in HD DVD. (instead of having individual reviews in the review section)

We'll see how it goes. Just put the movie title in bold for easy viewing :blink:

AGAIN, NO BLURAY VS HD DVD TALK.
................................................................................

Batman Begins Impressions

Finally got to watch Batman Begins tonight. After watching it, I realise how good an upconverting player my Sony DVPNS 92 hdmi player was. There was not a day and night difference in picture quality.

I was pretty disappointed with the first 20 min, which looked just a bit clearer than the upscaled version. I was never a fan of the first 20 min, i think its the colours or the soft look of it. Once I passed this, the HD DVD version started to shine. From the moment Bruce starts his training it starts to look really good. When he becomes Batman, this is where the picture shines. Its so detailed and blacks are black with excellent shadow detail. Not alot of 3D effects (ice fight and gotham at night near end are standouts) but just a clean detailed picture. No where as near as good in pic quality as MI:3 or CORiddick, but a very good transfer.

Soundwise, this movie kills. The Bass is awsome, the the last 20 min, with the train sequence......my oh my, this almost blew my walls down. I had to turn the volume up a little more for the TrueHD track, but again after the first 30 min when the actions starts, it really kicks in. Does it beat the SD DVD version, sh$$ yeah, but only once the action starts up.

All up it shows how good the SD version was, but this takes it up a notch. The sound is definitely a 10, and the pic is almost there, but I think i was too spoiled with how the upconverted version looked. Still, an excellent tittle. Nothing beats MI:3 yet, but reading about King Kong, it might have some competition...

Can't wait to watch MI:3 again. Can't say enough about this movie..

MI:3 IMPRESSIONS

Is it all its cracked up to be......

HELLL YEAH !!!!

I think I've just found my new reference HD DVD. This movie is so picturesque it's not funny. The Scenes in Rome are just gorgeous. The 3D element to this is unbelievable !! It's just like being there. The colours are deep and detailed Likewise when they go to China, where most is at night, the clarity and 3D look is amazing.

This HV DVD is definitely my new reference movie now, as it shows a good cobination of day and night, and is sooooo detailed, all in it's 3D glory, where Chronicles is mostly dark throughout. If there's 1 HD DVD you have to get it's this.

Sound wise, it's amazing. The first 15 min the surrounds are quiet, but after that it never stops. Bullets ricochet around, bouncing off metal objects, you will be ducking yourself. The bass is very tight and all 5.1 speakers never let up. The bridge scene is fantastic with jets swishing by from left to right.

The movie is pretty darn good do. Just action from start to finish with the usual twists, typical for a MI movie.

I thought I had heard and saw home theater perfection with Chronicles of Riddick, but overall I think this is a better film and better picture quality with more 3D effects. Just wait until you see it, some scene are like looking out a window !! Best thing was, there was rarely any FP noise from my projector.

Those that are waiting this title or bought a player and wondering what movie to play first, MI:3 IS IT !!!!!!!!!

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory Impressions

Picture starts off with darker colours, then opens up in to the lavish greens and reds when you get inside the factory. Not alot of 3D effects, but a clean colourful picture. The faces on the people (mainly willy wonka) are soft at times but this was the was it was shot/meant to be by the director. Not a bad movie either. Not a reference title but excellent.

One thing watching this movie, it it really showes the FP noise on my projector with the light blue backgrounds (the squirel room) Will be defnitely be upgrading my projector in the next 6 months as this is the only thing that annoys me about my whole set up.. The Pana AE700 doesnt do the best job with daylight/bright scenes, as shows FP noise. Darker scenes and movies and jaw dropping and 3D like.

Sound was pretty good too. The music is good, but the soundtrack is mainly front heavy. Dialogue was clear but the ompa ompa songs were hard to understand at times.

Overall great movie and a very colourful movie to show HD DVD to those who want to show a more family frinedly movie

F & F -Tokyo Drift Impressions

Finally watched Tokyo Drift on HD DVD last night. WOW the sound is awsome. Not as detailed or nor does it have the pans of the surrounds like my ref title chronicles of Ricddick, but really good sound. Felt like i was in a nightclub for 2 hrs with the music. Probably has rattled my walls the most out of all my dvd's. Since its a newly built house, hope it doesnt contribute to more cracks in the cornieces !!! The car sounds sounded like you were there, and loved the 'grunt' sound of some of the engines.

Picture was pretty good, again no where near as good as chronicles, but very clean and bright. I think ive been spoiled by HD DVD now as my eyes are used to the picture quality and didnt get a sexcitied as when i first got it. But then i flipped over to the SD DVD side to watch the sd dvd and OMG, it really look like i was running a VHS player on my projector. I used to think my sd dvd looked 'almost hd' but boy was i wrong. The pic was soft and washed out.

Put back in the HD DVD side and 'snap' pic looked crisp and colours were gorgeous. Watching HD DVD on a projector on a 100' screen reminds me of like watching a 100" plasma. Sure a 42" plasma will look more 3d than a 100' screen, but as in clarity its on a par.

Chronicles of Riddick Impressions

(This was prior to MI:3)

Just finished watching Chronicles of Riddick with a few friends on my projector.

I must say in all of the last 8 or so years in owning/getting in to HT/demoing at shops/going to cinemas, tonight i just witness THE BEST picture my eyes have ever seen on screen and the best sound i have ever heard in my life !!!

This is no understatement. Chronicles of Riddick is the best DEMO movie i have ever seen/heard.

I have never seen a picture so 3d like and crystal clear. Couldnt wipe the smile of my face and friends couldn't believe what they saw. It is photographic and so detailed its unbelievable. Show anyone this HD DVD and i guarantee they will be sold.

The sound is just jaw-dropping. The DD+ soundtrack makes saving private ryan dts sound like dolby prologic. Words cannot descibe how perfect the sound was. Bass knocks you dead, my blinds were blowing from the air from the sub ! Dialogue is spot on, and the surrounds....my god the surrounds. The end battle whizes around all the speakers and the panning through out the movie from rear to front is second to none. Examples are when the ships fly towards you at the screen or coming in from the left to the front. Detailed/open/crisp, its got it all.

Anyone that has a HD DVD player, you just have to get this title. I've been reading about this title being #1 demo title, and im usually so-so but this is the title to own. The story isnt half bad either i thought. non stop from start to end.

Tonight I witnessed Home Theater perfection with HD DVD. Bring it on !!
................................................................................

So far my favourites in relation to reference quality:

MI:3 - 10/10 (ABSOLUTE REFERENCE)
CORiddick - 9.5
Training Day - 8.75
Tokyo Drift -8.5
Batman Begins - 8.5 (sound is definitely a 10)
CATCFactory -8
Aeon Flux -8

Still to watch and unwrap - The Rundown, T2, End of days.

#2 Felix.

Felix.

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:27 AM

U-571 Mini Review

This movie was my first taste of HD-DVD and was viewed on a 42" Hitachi plasma.

The picture was very crisp with nice blacks and extremely smooth pans. Even the darn subtitles looked perfect without any hint of the jaggies I've seen on many DVDs. If I had to absolutely nitpick I thought the colour, although very good, was perhaps just a tad off. However I think that was probably more of a display issue than the underlying content itself. I didn't want to mess around tonight finely calibrating the display for HD-DVD I just wanted to relax and soak in the movie.

And with great audio it's very easy to be immersed in the action. Although I certainly don't have anything even vaguely approaching a high end audio set-up the exploding depth charges shook the room superbly playing the DD+ track. Even better than the DTS track on my Superbit copy of Das Boot I felt. There was also a great use of surrounds throughout the film that definitely added to the immersion factor. Dialogue levels were fairly decent although a couple of times I did miss the odd word or two.

But all up watching U-571 was a highly enjoyable experience, and whilst not a huge fan of the movie (I've seen it once before on DVD) the audiovisual qualities of the HD-DVD really made it a better film experience for me than what I remembered it to be. And that's the most important thing I suppose.

Tonight's viewing has certainly set the bar high and it's going to be hard to watch regular DVDs from now on, as numerous others here have already commented. I'm now just looking forward to the other HD-DVD titles that supposedly surpass U-571 in picture and/or sound. Bring on MI3 and Batman Begins for starters!!!

#3 norpus

norpus

AV Forum Member

• 5,417 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:09 AM

Well if Batman Begins is only mediocre (which I didn't think it was) I can't wait to see the better ones tbh :blink:

#4 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

Well if Batman Begins is only mediocre (which I didn't think it was) I can't wait to see the better ones tbh :blink:

hehe I would have to say the same !

we watched batman begins last night, player updated for v2.0 all hooked up for for dolby trueHD. Firstly I must say what a sensational movie. all the old batman movies are cr@p compared to this. the picture quality too is absolutely superb in my opinion, both in detail and colour balance and richness contrast etc...and this is on my hitachi 42" HD plasma. And boy I'm glad I got that panel because looks sensational on it. Really the best pics I've seen on it. And sound quality? top stuff too. Very good detail, sound stage. Surround efects add good atmosphere and the odd bit of effects but never overpowering. Same with the sub sound track, added well to atmosphere and effects but never overpowering.

My wife who never ever comments much in regards SQ or PQ...one look and listen she straight away said... "this is one of those new discs isnt it ?"... "it looks and sounds so different !"... "you can tell straight away its different", "its like at the movies"..."its too real !" were some of here comments hehehe

for anyone considering one of these players or buying this disc..I can heartedly recommend both, go for it. I'm really very happy gone down this track.

and as with norpus if this isnt the best it gets wow cant wait to watch the better ones ! :D

I also posted a mini review of U2 Rattle & hum in the user review sub forum (and I might suggest that subforum is where this thread belongs)

http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=43563

First concert I've checked on HD-DVD.

This is U2's Rattle & Hum
bit of info and an alternate view ?(havent read that review)
http://hddvd.highdef...ttleandhum.html

OK firstly you wont be buyign this one for the video quality. Obviously for artistic reasons its shot on what looks like video 8. Very grainy and the bulk in black and white !

I had the tosh HD-AX1 hooked up via hdmi to my hitachi 42" plasma and 5.1 analog outs to my HK avr.

What is a standout and why you would buy this is the sound and ofcourse the music particualrly if you are a U2 fan. I cant fault the sound. That was listenign via the analog outs to my avr and using its bass management and EX to get rear signal. Very good clean crisp sound and quite enveloping with audience and instruments, sound effects and reverb etc. Of particualr note was bono's vocals, really have a very nice richness to it. Just out of interest I switched to dig coax input on the avr which pics up the signal as dTS and I add neo6 for the rears and really the soudn jsut fell back to the screen and sounded a bit duller to my ears.

Some of the interviews/discussion mixed in with songs are quite interesting but have not checked any of the separate extra material out.

Love the menu system. While viewing you jsut hit either menu or the up button on the remote that brings up a little menu at the bottom of the screen with which you can pan through the songs with little thumb nails and song names before selecting to jump to any particualr song - very nice !

Now just to summarise I cant recommend this on PQ, but certainly for its sound and if yoru a U2 fan well worth getting.

now I'd better go read that highdefdigest review to see what it says ! hehehe

#5 norpus

norpus

AV Forum Member

• 5,417 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:38 AM

My wife who never ever comments much in regards SQ or PQ...one look and listen she straight away said... "this is one of those new discs isnt it ?"... "it looks and sounds so different !"... "you can tell straight away its different", "its like at the movies"..."its too real !" were some of here comments hehehe

I loved hearing that Al
Mrs norpus is also impressed by the HD over SD -quite good for us I think :blink:

My sons, 11 and 12 do not see a difference or rather don't care much. They just like the movie and they don't even care if its a cartoon. I guess they aint too picky on PQ - and just enjoy the content. Me I am enjoying both atm

#6 MarkH

MarkH

AV Forum Member

• 8,673 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:09 AM

I must say that initial quick look at Batman Begins reveals a huge improvement in my opinion over the SD release. Great reviews guys by the way.

#7 dJOS

dJOS

AV Forum Member

• 8,298 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:35 AM

Im curious as to why some of you chaps are watching titles like COR & U-571 with the 640k DD+ track when the 1.5mbps DTS track on these titles leaves the DD+ track bloody and beaten on the battlefield of SQ?

#8 mav

mav

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

I am looking forward to the Canal Studios HD-DVD releases of the Blu-Ray titles in Europe. This will effectively negate the argument that not all titles will be covered under one format. As per this interview below:

A member on AVForums.com called Goblin got the chance to ask Toshiba UK some questions about the upcoming European players.

Originally Posted by Goblin on the UK AVforums
Will DTS Lossless (not just Core) be added?[/b]
Yes, firmware update will add this functionality

Apart from the obvious differences like hdmi v1.3, 5.1 analogue, 1080p and cosmetics what other differences are there between the XE1 and E1 models? What upscaling chips do both models use for SD playback? What is the quality of the DAC used inside the XE1 (is it still SHARC, etc)?
The XE1 still uses SHARC DACs and the E1 uses the same as in the HD-A1. Both sets use Faroudja DCDi for upscaling. Gold plated connections on the XE1.

Ask him to confirm that these players which will be sold in the coming months will always be region free for hd-dvd. Can you also ask the same for the xbox hd-dvd - are we be sure that no xbox live update can make the hd-dvd player region coded.
Can't speak for XBox. Any sold as Region Free (for HD-DVD) will remain that way, they will not disable this in a firmware update. HOWEVER, at some stage, once the DVD forum ratifies region coding, it may be introduced in the same model - ie an XE1 bought now will always be region free, but one bought in six months may not be.

Hi can you time the time it takes from pressing the on button, to the point where you can press eject (to insert a disc). And then time from when it is on and the disk tray out, to when after inserting a disc you can actually see a movie playing.
Sorry, they were still using an XA1 for demo purposes, but had an E1 sitting around to look at. Nice deck, not too big (about the size of current DVD/HDD recorders). Now XE1, but apparently the build quality is really good for a mass market product.

Any plans for 1080P/24? When will 50Hz support be available on the E1 so I can transfer high def camcorder footage to DVD-R or HD-DVD-R
These could be added in a firmware update, but couldn't say if they would be. It may be something for the 2nd gen players over here.

what are they going to do to promote the format more?
They have plenty of marketing aimed for the T3, What Hifi type magazines which should be rolled out in the next few weeks. They are also touring some of the big shopping centres showing off HD-DVD to the public. Basically, expect a big push when the players are available.

Will it play SD DVDs directly out at 576i YCbCr over HDMI?
Not too sure on this, but basically it will communicate with the screen and scale to whatever res the screen says it is capable of. I assume the situation may be different if you're outputting to a standalone scaler. If outputting over component, you can set the resolution to output.

Are the ethernet cookies session only or are they stored (in flash?) between boot-ups?
As far as he knows, all session data is erased each time you leave whatever content you are looking at.

will there be firmware updates available for the ex1
Yes. Both players have ethernet and functionally will be the same in terms of online content including the ability to download firmware updates.

Release dates?
The E1 has been slightly delayed as the container ship with the UK stock got caught up in bad weather missed it's customs booking in date and the players are currently sitting with customs "waiting for some jobsworth to get up off his arse and get the paperwork sorted". They should be available in the next fortnight.

The XE1 should be mid to late December, assuming same jobsworth gets off his arse etc etc. If they hit similar delays it could leak into start of January but hopefully will not be the case.

Regardless, it is nothing to do with a supply/manufacturing issue and they believe they have enough inventory to meet the demand, but don't hang around too long.

Region free for Sd-DVD?
There probably won't be a handset hack for this, but don't be surprised if your dealer receives a mysterious envelope that definitely does not come from their Toshiba sales rep that just happens to have a disc to enable multi-region playback. Also, most certainly do not expect this to in any way show up on any internet sites as a downloadable ISO

I also asked if there was any advantage to getting the HD-DVD to attach to an SD TV (specifically my 32" Loewe Mimo) and he reckons the higher bitrate really helps even in SD and gives a much cleaner, vibrant picture. One to consider if you want to play your new discs but haven't changed the tele yet.

They also made a big point about how the studio support situation is mostly irrelevant in Europe as a lot of the "blu-ray only" studios in the states have distribution rights over here handled by Studio Canal, who are releasing on HD-DVD. He specifically mentioned Terminator 2 which is Blu-ray only stateside, but will be getting an HD-DVD release in Europe.

The bold section above is what has the greatest potential impact for the HD-DVD titles imho. :blink:

#9 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:12 AM

Im curious as to why some of you chaps are watching titles like COR & U-571 with the 640k DD+ track when the 1.5mbps DTS track on these titles leaves the DD+ track bloody and beaten on the battlefield of SQ?

not sure where your getting that djos

happy to be corrected, but according to the dolby in regards DDplus on their website..

http://www.dolby.com...gital_plus.html

Features

Multichannel sound with discrete channel output.
Channel and program extensions can carry multichannel audio programs of up to 7.1 channels* and support multiple programs in a single encoded bitstream.
Outputs a Dolby Digital bitstream for playback on existing Dolby Digital systems.
Supports data rates as high as 6 Mbps.
Bit rate performance of at least 3 Mbps on HD DVD and up to 1.7 Mbps on Blu-ray Disc.
Accurately reproduces what the director and producer intended.
Interactive mixing and streaming capability in advanced systems.
Supported by HDMI™, the new single-cable digital connection for high-definition audio and video.

dolby digital plus can do upto 6Mbps and atleast 3 Mbps on HD-DVD or 5 times that of the old legacy DD or DTS on DVD or 2 times what the new hi-def discs can muster even with their uped rate of 1.5mbps with the new HD formats.

Certainly with U2(and thats the only disc compared on) I felt a quick flick comparison DD+ via analog had a more enveloping involving sound vs DTS via coax which felt flatter with image fallign back ot the screen.

I'm sure mixes might differ disc to disc. But DD+ is certainly a step above in technology over the old legacy formats.

In regards DTS really look out for DTS-encore labelled that is at the 1.5mbps bit rate over the standard dTS which is only 768kbps.
http://www.dtsonline...nd-tomorrow.php

#10 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:13 AM

Can anyone confirm the differences between the HD-A1 and the aussie HD-E1 ?

My understanding is that the HD-E1 misses out on 5.1 analog outputs but gains faster load times due to 2nd gen hardware.

Is there anything else I am missing.

I'm sorely tempted to get an HD-A1 from the states, but seeing as I will shortly have the 360 addon as a stopgap, I am also considering waiting for the HD-E1 (the price difference is only $250, taking into account step down transformers and assuming I can get the HD-E1 for $1000 for cash).

Andrew.

#11 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:19 AM

I am looking forward to the Canal Studios HD-DVD releases of the Blu-Ray titles in Europe. This will effectively negate the argument that not all titles will be covered under one format. As per this interview below:

A member on AVForums.com called Goblin got the chance to ask Toshiba UK some questions about the upcoming European players.

Originally Posted by Goblin on the UK AVforums
~

Interesting read mav, I for one will look out for more than core dts on discs plus the region coding issues as mentioned if can be stepped around will be a geat thing for hd-dvd I reckon and the hi-def buying public generally.

although I'm optimistic about all this I'm just a little carefull with whats said on avs, often posts are made about stuff turn out to be just made up or just plain hoaxes or porky pies. fingers crossed and encoraging but lets see how things pan out in reality.

Can anyone confirm the differences between the HD-A1 and the aussie HD-E1 ?

My understanding is that the HD-E1 misses out on 5.1 analog outputs but gains faster load times due to 2nd gen hardware.

Is there anything else I am missing.

I'm sorely tempted to get an HD-A1 from the states, but seeing as I will shortly have the 360 addon as a stopgap, I am also considering waiting for the HD-E1 (the price difference is only $250, taking into account step down transformers and assuming I can get the HD-E1 for $1000 for cash).

Andrew.

in favour of the HD-E1, aussie warranty. ability to play local R4 DVD discs. Loss for the HD-E1 no analog outs. cant play anything but R4 DVD discs. Is it as well built as the A1 ? more expensive vs the landed A1.

The 360 add on might be a cheaper stop gap.

#12 dJOS

dJOS

AV Forum Member

• 8,298 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:39 AM

not sure where your getting that djos

happy to be corrected, but according to the dolby in regards DDplus on their website..

http://www.dolby.com...gital_plus.html
dolby digital plus can do upto 6Mbps and atleast 3 Mbps on HD-DVD or 5 times that of the old legacy DD or DTS on DVD or 2 times what the new hi-def discs can muster even with their uped rate of 1.5mbps with the new HD formats.

Certainly with U2(and thats the only disc compared on) I felt a quick flick comparison DD+ via analog had a more enveloping involving sound vs DTS via coax which felt flatter with image fallign back ot the screen.

I'm sure mixes might differ disc to disc. But DD+ is certainly a step above in technology over the old legacy formats.

In regards DTS really look out for DTS-encore labelled that is at the 1.5mbps bit rate over the standard dTS which is only 768kbps.
http://www.dtsonline...nd-tomorrow.php

Hmmm, interesting, Im sure I remember reading somewhere that most of the DD+ tracks to date were 640k - oh well :blink:

To my ears the DTS tracks on COR & U-571 have (just like DD vs DTS on SD-DVD) significantly better dynamic range and depth and for me the end result is a much more immersive sound field.

I'd really luv to hear what some of you B&W etc owning folks think after doing this comparison yourselves?

Btw, Im using HDMI for A/V and the DTS tracks on these 2 discs are converted to multi-channel LPCM by my A1.

#13 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:12 PM

The 360 add on might be a cheaper stop gap.

yep, 360 addon is ordered and should be here sometime this week, which will act as a stop gap until I get my HD-A1 or HD-E1, and will live in my bedroom once I get my standalone.

Just trying to work out if I want to order a HD-A1 as my standalone, or wait for the HD-E1.

Andrew.

#14 dJOS

dJOS

AV Forum Member

• 8,298 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:49 PM

Does anyone know of a site documenting the specs of the audio & video bitrates of the currently available HD-DVD's?

#15 Felix.

Felix.

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:40 PM

I did experiment with the DTS track but I couldn't really detect too much of a difference on my lowly set-up. They both sounded excellent to me.

If anything most of the reviews I've read seem to give the nod to the DD+ track over the DTS one.

http://hddvd.highdef...t.com/u571.html

http://www.dvdfile.c...o...07&Itemid=3

#16 mav

mav

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

Well I just scored "We Were Soldiers" off an ebay auction new still sealed for US$24 shipped so I am happy I managed to track a copy down at last. Just have to hope that it gets here okay.

#17 dJOS

dJOS

AV Forum Member

• 8,298 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

I did experiment with the DTS track but I couldn't really detect too much of a difference on my lowly set-up. They both sounded excellent to me.

If anything most of the reviews I've read seem to give the nod to the DD+ track over the DTS one.

Im just watching COR again and have been switching audio between the 2 and replaying certain scenes and imo the DTS track is more detailed and dynamic, especially in the quieter scenes like the sled ride on crematoria and the explosions just seem to have more impact on the DTS track. I also find the DTS track to be less bright, my 2600 + Wellings speakers do tend towards being bright anyway.

#18 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:49 PM

I'm sure its somthign that could vary disc to disc felix. And no gurantees theyre even usign the full bit rates on either to their full potential.

Im just watching COR again and have been switching audio between the 2 and replaying certain scenes and imo the DTS track is more detailed and dynamic, especially in the quieter scenes like the sled ride on crematoria and the explosions just seem to have more impact on the DTS track. I also find the DTS track to be less bright, my 2600 + Wellings speakers do tend towards being bright anyway.

I've got both COR and u571. I can do a quick flick between both surround formats to check out once get aroudn to watchign both djos.

Must admit I fired up cronicles of riddick earlier today out of curiousity after reading what daz posted. Only watched about 10 min of hte opening. It was set to DTS and all I can say is holly cr@p ! hehehe not just in the audio but in the video too ! hehe cant wait to watch the whole thing. I tell you want to blow someone away and have them sold on HD-DVD only a few minuted of thsi one is all thats needed :blink:

#19 Felix.

Felix.

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:18 AM

I'm sure its somthign that could vary disc to disc felix. And no gurantees theyre even usign the full bit rates on either to their full potential.

Absolutely Al. Sorry I just meant my comments to be restricted to U-571 as that is the only HD-DVD I've seen/heard so far. I should have made that a bit more clear in my post. Could be quite a different story on other titles as you say.

Well after saying a few weeks ago that I was not a big buyer of commercial discs with only about 20 DVDs in my collection.....I've since ordered a total of 20 HD-DVDs! :D

It gets kind of addictive especially with that Amazon one click buy. And it can be very easy to pull the trigger when you hear all these rave reviews. This is where Dazbug and certain AVS members should cop some blame here. I didn't even like CoRiddick the first time I saw it but now it's on its way across the Pacific. :P

Of course not one of them has shown up yet including Tokyo Drift which I ordered on October 12. And yes I went with the expedited postage option on most of them. :blink:

#20 williamtassone

williamtassone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:56 AM

Ive got Total Recall HD-DVD and The Pianist HD-DVD on the way 20Nov from Amazon france. Let u know as soon as i open em

#21 zorg

zorg

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:14 AM

where is the best place to source a HD-A1 from in the states that will ship to Aus?

#22 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:36 AM

Total Recall HD-DVD

OMG, and HD DVD wins the format war :D

that is one of my favourite movies of all time, can't wait to see it in HD ....

mmm sharon stone's boobies in HD :blink:

Andrew.

#23 dJOS

dJOS

AV Forum Member

• 8,298 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:04 AM

I've got both COR and u571. I can do a quick flick between both surround formats to check out once get aroudn to watchign both djos.

Must admit I fired up cronicles of riddick earlier today out of curiousity after reading what daz posted. Only watched about 10 min of hte opening. It was set to DTS and all I can say is holly cr@p ! hehehe not just in the audio but in the video too ! hehe cant wait to watch the whole thing. I tell you want to blow someone away and have them sold on HD-DVD only a few minuted of thsi one is all thats needed :blink:

Im very curious to hear your impressions once you've done your own comparison - your speakers are several orders of magnitude better than mine and Im wondering how much they are colouring my listening experience?

where is the best place to source a HD-A1 from in the states that will ship to Aus?

ebay, check the HD-DVD Hardware thread for reputable sellers. :D

#24 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:27 AM

OMG, and HD DVD wins the format war :D

that is one of my favourite movies of all time, can't wait to see it in HD ....

mmm sharon stone's boobies in HD :blink:

Andrew.

wow totall recall ! there definetly are some great flicks coming out on HD-DVD !

#25 Felix.

Felix.

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

Ive got Total Recall HD-DVD and The Pianist HD-DVD on the way 20Nov from Amazon france. Let u know as soon as i open em

Whoaaa nice finds Will, especially Total Recall. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the quality of the transfers.

It certainly pays to check out some of the other regions outside the US. I notice amazon.fr also have the Rambo series, Harry Potter & GOF (Dec 6), Basic Instint, The Fog and The Elephant Man.