• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:39 AM

So,

I heard Will Anderson on Nova this morning.

The ABC have decided that The Glass House is not impartial enough (read they take the odd swing at the Howard guvmnt) and so therefore the show is being axed at the end of this series (5 more episodes).

What an absolute crock.

Are we living in Nazi Germany ?

And to make it worse, this year has seen the highest ratings ever for the Glass House, even beating Survivor a couple of weeks ago ... not to mention an AFI award last year and a nomination this year.

Absolute joke!

You can let the ABC know what you think about this here http://www.abc.net.au/contact/

Andrew.

#2 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:46 AM

And so it begins. How much longer until the ABC becomes an unwatchable Liberal party mouthpiece?

*sigh*

If this keeps up I won't have a need to be able to receive DVB-t.

Anyone want a free STB?

#3 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:49 AM

And so it begins. How much longer until the ABC becomes an unwatchable Liberal party mouthpiece?

*sigh*

If this keeps up I won't have a need to be able to receive DVB-t.

Anyone want a free STB?

you know I was just thinking the same thing the other day.

I love my toppy, but I don't actually really use it anymore (except for sporting events ...)

Aussie produced tv is all pretty much crap, and the US stuff can be sourced from 'other sources'.

Its quite a shame really.

So that's SBS and the ABC on my "don't watch anymore" list.

Can I have my contribution to the ABC and SBS funding refunded please ?

Andrew.

#4 OakenShield

OakenShield

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:39 AM

How frustrating, thats a great show.

BTW Andrew no mean feat beating Survivor IMHO :blink: I know what I'd rather watch!

Wednesday night on the ABC is great viewing! comes to an abrupt end in the next 5 weeks though.

There's nothing else on at that time, might have to watch Rome, I think it's on that night :D

#5 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,181 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

Is it simply impartiality, or are they axeing the glass house because it's doing better than the commercial networks in that time slot??

I'm flabbergasted to see the government trying to insult my intelligence by deciding what I can watch, and what I can't. Nobody will laugh at the emporer if he wears some clothes during the parade in the first place.

And a guy is paid like $280k to do the job of a remote control.. This will make the top 5 best-wasted taxpayers money list.

I mean, come on, give these guys a fair go.. The Glass House crew has alot of talent and the shows are very well made. Give them a fair go and allow them to grow. If not, in a few years time, Australia will have no TV talent left.
I don't want to see just beautiful people on the tube (like what all the commercial stations are doing right now), I want quality shows, by quality actors/hosts/writers/directors/et. al.

Man, are we really that stupid to have somebody vett programs for us? North Korea does it.. And now Australia.. :blink:

Edit: Is there a petition for me to sign to keep this show on the air??

#6 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:42 AM

There's nothing else on at that time, might have to watch Rome, I think it's on that night :blink:

Sorry mate, Nein cancelled Rome after 2 weeks ...

wonder why, when they condensed three epeisodes down into 1 'double length episode', put it on late at night, and filled it with ads ...

Andrew.

#7 aztec

aztec

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

The ABC have decided that The Glass House is not impartial enough (read they take the odd swing at the Howard guvmnt) and so therefore the show is being axed at the end of this series (5 more episodes).

Un-friggin-believable!!! :blink:

How about in order to balance they put on another comedic show which bashes the Labour party (I think that's just as easy).

#8 MythN00b

MythN00b

AV Forum Member

• 31 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:38 AM

Whats the betting the next announcment is that Monica attard is being replaced on Media Watch by Andrew Bolt or Piers Ackerman....???...

I dispair... could be time to move back to the UK.... :blink:

#9 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

Un-friggin-believable!!! :blink:

How about in order to balance they put on another comedic show which bashes the Labour party (I think that's just as easy).

Will actually answered this question on the radio.

I'm paraphrasing, but from memory ...

"Of course we are going to have a dig at whoever is in power. What point is there in having a go at Beasley, he has now power, it would be the same joke every week ... Kim Beasley, gee, he's still fat" :P

"There is one way to be certain that we will have a stab at the Labor Party, don't vote for Johnny at the next election" :D

Andrew.

#10 dJOS

dJOS

AV Forum Member

• 8,298 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:59 PM

God Dammit, I luv the Glasshouse even tho I consider myself a "liberal" voter! Not Happy Jan! :blink:

#11 Mcrackn

Mcrackn

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:04 PM

I'm feeling angry today!!!!

#12 captainatomic

captainatomic

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

I dont post often here anymore - but reading this... "IM ANGRY TODAY! VERY VERY ANGRY"

How can ABC get away with this? Its SUCH a great show, and I cant beleive their reasons for cancelling it.

Usually when a show drops significantly in ratins, or just runs out of ideas its cancelled - NOT when its the best its ever been with higher ratings.

An absolute DISGRACE ABC. In the words of Naomi PondScum "SHAME SHAME SHAME"

#13 -Bishop-

-Bishop-

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:18 PM

That sucks, comedy shows rip on whoever is in power, it's just seems some governments have decided they don't like that sort of thing anymore...

It's the same in the US, shows that are ripping on their government are being labelled left wing, or bleeding heart democrats etc, everyone seems to forget these same shows were constantly ripping on Clinton...

#14 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forum Member

• 23,206 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:21 PM

It's probably being axed because the comedy is too close to the truth for the ABC to handle.

#15 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:35 PM

It's probably being axed because the comedy is too close to the truth for the ABC to handle.

And of course JWH has come out denying that he had anything to do with the show's axing:

http://www.news.com....4-10388,00.html

Sure, John, we believe you.

Hey watch out, they might start throwing kids overboard :blink:

Andrew.

#16 OakenShield

OakenShield

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:40 PM

Sorry mate, Nein cancelled Rome after 2 weeks ...

wonder why, when they condensed three epeisodes down into 1 'double length episode', put it on late at night, and filled it with ads ...

Andrew.

It's on Andrew, I'll make sure it is, if you know what I mean...

Sure he had nothing to do with it, he gets paid good money to lie, god knows he doesn't do anything else!!

#17 aztec

aztec

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:14 PM

It's on Andrew, I'll make sure it is, if you know what I mean...

Sure he had nothing to do with it, he gets paid good money to lie, god knows he doesn't do anything else!!

Let's hope that at the least they go down fighting. :ph34r:

#18 Guest_WalrusLike_*

Guest_WalrusLike_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:26 PM

Un-frelling-believable... I sent this to the abc... thanks for the link op.

Your kidding!! Surely you are not going to axe a comedy show that is rating well and has great material simply becuase it is bagging the government?? Is this still Australia? Nth Korea does that sort of thing... or would if they had comedy shows.

Balance?? Just wait till the government changes... they will bag the new guys.

It seems to me that political correctness can look a lot like repression.

#19 aztec

aztec

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:00 PM

Un-frelling-believable... I sent this to the abc... thanks for the link op.

Submitted my thoughts.

I read with abhorence that this show is to be cancelled, what I find most disturbing is that the reason is given as that it is not impartial. It is only comical and topical if the target is those currently in power. The other purpose it serves is keeping them honest and accountable. The public is being denied access to forums where expressions can made. This is a step backwards for Australia.

#20 Alfred the Great

Alfred the Great

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:08 PM

maybe channel ten can pick it up and continue next year - all 3 hosts have been employed by ten (either currently or previously).
Could be hope yet. :blink:

#21 phase5

phase5

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:21 PM

I thought for a moment "un-phucqing believeable", then it occurred to me this isn't my country anymore.

#22 Harru

Harru

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:25 PM

Fired this off to the ABC

Dear ABC TV,

I am absolutely outraged at the decision to axe the Glass House. Whichever people have contributed to this need to be sacked immediately because it is completely the wrong decision. I have just lost a large chunk of respect for the ABC who I used to think supported Australian content , particularly comedy, even if said content included jokes regarding figures of power (I know that this has not been given as the reason but it's pretty obvious to everyone). This bias circus needs to be closed down or myself and many others will lose all respect for the ABC.

I dearly hope this message gets through to someone important because I am deeply saddened, angered and disgusted that The Glass House, one of my favourite shows and one of the most entertaining programs ever seen on television, will not return.

Regards

I had the same idea about Ten picking it up. If that is the only option then I suppose I would support it but I would much much rather see it on the ABC.

#23 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:34 PM

maybe channel ten can pick it up and continue next year

TEN wouldn't have the stomach for it and would hack it down to a former shadow of itself. You wouldn't want to watch the result.

Combine the above with TEN's magical mystery tour scheduling and the show wouldn't last long.

#24 eyestrain

eyestrain

AV Forum Member

• 809 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

The ABC have decided that The Glass House is not impartial enough...

And just how impartial is the ABC Board now?

How utterly sad!!! :blink: :D :P

#25 Skid_MacMarx

Skid_MacMarx

AV Forum Member

• 8,928 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

Prime Minister John Howard says he didn't pressure the ABC to shelve comedy show The Glass House.

The ABC yesterday axed the weekly panel show hosted by the comedian Wil Anderson, which has been accused of anti-Government bias

http://www.smh.com.a...2339892805.html

yeah right but the cronies that you stacked the ABC board did....