Official Hd Dvd Owners Thread

• Please log in to reply
1946 replies to this topic

#1901 seer

seer

AV Forums Member

• 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

pq on hd probably not to much difference if any......sd upconvertion better on xe1 ...plus u get consumer user tweak menus for pq on the xe1 thats not available on the lesser models

but i was always struck by the build quality of the xe1....it is built like a tank....really getting ur moneys worth!

Thanks for the advice.

#1902 seer

seer

AV Forums Member

• 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

I've been chasing up an XE1 now for a couple of days and have given up.Looks like i'll have to stick with my Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on drive.
I have a pioneer 550HXS and it does a reasonable job of upscaling SD DVDs anyway.

The only thing I don't like about the xbox drive is the colour,it looks crappy next to my black Elite console.
Tomorrow i'm going to pull it completely apart and paint the cases with satin black "Vinyl Colour Spray".
If it turns out alright I might post up some pics,if it doesn't i'll replace it with one of my 2 spares :) .

Hey, if you still want a good hd dvd 1080p player Rick Hart are still selling the EP10 for $150 awesome value check it out.

Edited by seer, 14 March 2008 - 04:54 PM.

#1903 denzil1

denzil1

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

My Toshiba XE1 machine ..one month, old updated to 2.8 firmware. has now decided to reject all standard DVD's. It freezes just after starting..or freezes when fast forwarding to another scene or chapter or just opens with title then stops and displaye 'Cannot read this disc.. Not a DVD" Any thoughts anybody before I vbery angrily invade the retailer and Toshiba.
Denzil1

#1904 denzil1

denzil1

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

My Toshiba XE1 machine ..one month old, updated to 2.8 firmware. has now decided to reject all standard DVD's. It freezes just after starting..or freezes when fast forwarding to another scene or chapter or just opens with title then stops and displays 'Cannot read this disc.. Not a DVD" Any thoughts anybody before I very angrily invade the retailer and Toshiba.
Denzil1

Edited by denzil1, 15 March 2008 - 10:30 PM.

#1905 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forums Member

• 4,852 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

My Toshiba XE1 machine ..one month old, updated to 2.8 firmware. has now decided to reject all standard DVD's. It freezes just after starting..or freezes when fast forwarding to another scene or chapter or just opens with title then stops and displaye 'Cannot read this disc.. Not a DVD" Any thoughts anybody before I vbery angrily invade the retailer and Toshiba.
Denzil1

Tried a DVD lens cleaner?

cheers

#1906 denzil1

denzil1

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

Tried a DVD lens cleaner?

cheers

It' a new machine and plays HD DVD perfectly

#1907 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forums Member

• 4,852 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:24 AM

It' a new machine and plays HD DVD perfectly

Doesn't mean there is no dust on the DVD lens, they use different lenses, so one can be dirty without affecting the other

The DVD one is red laser 650nm wavelength and the HD DVD one is blue laser 405nm wavelength(same as Blu-ray)

It's worth a try, that's all I was suggesting

cheers

#1908 denzil1

denzil1

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:10 AM

Doesn't mean there is no dust on the DVD lens, they use different lenses, so one can be dirty without affecting the other

The DVD one is red laser 650nm wavelength and the HD DVD one is blue laser 405nm wavelength(same as Blu-ray)

It's worth a try, that's all I was suggesting

cheers

I'l do that. Appreciate your input Thanks..I'll let you know if it works..DEnzil1

#1909 denzil1

denzil1

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

I'l do that. Appreciate your input Thanks..I'll let you know if it works..DEnzil1

Cleaning didn't work..Standard discs now keep loading loading loading..Have to disconnect at main power to eject disc. back it goes.
Denzil1

#1910 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forums Member

• 4,852 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

Cleaning didn't work..Standard discs now keep loading loading loading..Have to disconnect at main power to eject disc. back it goes.
Denzil1

I had a dvd player that started playing up (freezing and stopped loading discs) I tried a DVD lens cleaner, the first time made no difference, after about 5 cleans the player worked perfectly. You could try it a few times.

BTW are you using a CD lens cleaner or a DVD lens cleaner?
You could try downgrading to fw 2.7

If It doesn't work the lens may be faulty or out of alignment and you'll have to take it back.

cheers

Edited by MACCA350, 16 March 2008 - 10:09 AM.

#1911 xxredshiftxx

xxredshiftxx

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

Ok here is entirely different question,had a quick look around the forum but couldn't find anything useful.

I'm trying to set up an internet connection with my XE1 to use the webenabled features but having not much luck.

I read through the manual on how to obtain IP address/subnet mask/gateway automatically --still wouldn't connect :angry2:

Tried to input it manually after looking up my Network connection details still says 'Network Error'

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

#1912 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forums Member

• 4,852 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:22 PM

Ok here is entirely different question,had a quick look around the forum but couldn't find anything useful.

I'm trying to set up an internet connection with my XE1 to use the webenabled features but having not much luck.

I read through the manual on how to obtain IP address/subnet mask/gateway automatically --still wouldn't connect :angry2:

Tried to input it manually after looking up my Network connection details still says 'Network Error'

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

How is it connected?

Have you:
Set DHCP to On
Set DNS to On
Select "Confirm"
You may need to cycle the player off/on

cheers

#1913 xxredshiftxx

xxredshiftxx

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:41 PM

How is it connected?

Have you:
Set “DHCP” to “On”
Set “DNS” to “On”
Select "Confirm"
You may need to cycle the player off/on

cheers

Yeah done all that,

I'm using a standard LAN from my 4 port router,which is used to connect our Laptop with it as well,no problems here to connect to the internet.

Set DHCP on/DNS ON/CONFIRM ,It gives me automatically my addresses and all so probs here.

One more thing I noted,

It gives me only IP Address number and the Subnet Mask number,everything else is on 0.0.0.0

Does yours have any numbers displaying there ?

Then when I play a webenabled HD DVD click on feature it says NO NETWORK CONNECTION

NET0010

Did even a complete maintenance reset/made sure clock setting is ok / restarted it a couple of times /still nothing :angry:

Beats me....

Edited by xxredshiftxx, 16 March 2008 - 01:45 PM.

#1914 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forums Member

• 4,852 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

Have you gone into your router setup?

I think I had to change a couple of settings in the router like:

Under "setup"
Local DHCP Server: Enable
Start IP Address:..........100
Number of Address: 50

Under "security"
Block Anonymous Internet Requests: Disabled

cheers

#1915 xxredshiftxx

xxredshiftxx

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:25 PM

Played with the router settings,I can even see the IP address it gave the XE1 but to no avail ..

Why can a laptop connect to the LAN cable but not the XE1 ?

#1916 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forums Member

• 4,852 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:37 PM

Played with the router settings,I can even see the IP address it gave the XE1 but to no avail ..

Why can a laptop connect to the LAN cable but not the XE1 ?

Don't know.

Are you using a straight Ethernet cable as opposed to a crossover, I know this little oversight gave me no end of grief when I added the router into my home network until I realized I was using a crossover cable that was previously connecting the PC's directly.

cheers

#1917 Prime

Prime

AV Forums Member

• 50 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:33 AM

Just a couple of EP10 queries, neither very important.
1. The remote lets you program it to work with your TV, but the manual only has a few codes for a few brands. Anyone know where I can find more? The codes in the manual are four-digit, ones turned up from Google searches are only three.
2. The unit's hooked up to an SDTV right now (quiet!), and in the setup menu I have the option to set the 'TV shape' to 16:9, 4:3 or 4:3 letterbox. I've tried both 4:3 modes and they both seem to be identical, letterboxing widescreen stuff and appearing to windowbox special features. Anyone know what the difference is or should be?

#1918 ivor biggin

ivor biggin

AV Forums Member

• Banned
  • 464 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

Just a couple of EP10 queries, neither very important.
1. The remote lets you program it to work with your TV, but the manual only has a few codes for a few brands. Anyone know where I can find more? The codes in the manual are four-digit, ones turned up from Google searches are only three.
2. The unit's hooked up to an SDTV right now (quiet!), and in the setup menu I have the option to set the 'TV shape' to 16:9, 4:3 or 4:3 letterbox. I've tried both 4:3 modes and they both seem to be identical, letterboxing widescreen stuff and appearing to windowbox special features. Anyone know what the difference is or should be?

think carefully about activating the tv on /off button
ive developed this really irritating habit of pressing the the deplay button[really close to the tv on/off] every 5 seconds durring a movie to see the codec and other useless imformation
well every so offen i miss and turn off the tv....and on certain discs it really gives hdmi handshake the shits !

#1919 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:11 PM

Should I upgrade my Ep10 to 2.8?? seeing there is a lot of ppl having problems after updating?

#1920 adhock

adhock

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

Just wondering if anyone knows whether you can disable the big blue box that appears when you press the 'Subtitle' button on the XE1 remote when playing HD-DVDs? It's fairly obtrusive and I really don't need instructions on which buttons to press every time I try to turn subtitles on.

#1921 mavric41

mavric41

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

Should I upgrade my Ep10 to 2.8?? seeing there is a lot of ppl having problems after updating?

In my case, I've have had no troubles and it seems to be working a lot faster as well. I did do 2.5 first though.

#1922 Bizi

Bizi

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:35 AM

In my case, I've have had no troubles and it seems to be working a lot faster as well. I did do 2.5 first though.

Are there any other LG BH100 dual format players here on dtvforum?
I could find four or five Aussies posting on the owners thead at AVSforum.
Hopefully there are some dicussions here, on dual format players.

Unfortunately no promo freebie titles for me, but I was just happy to find a HD DVD player at a retailer this late in the game.

I also found a few HD DVDs remaining in Sydney, but would appreciate any feedback on the HD DVD trade thread about trades on the 20 discs I bought today. I found some at DJs, Myer/Virgin and JB plus the remainders at Ezydvd.

Looking forward to learning a lot here. :)

#1923 minbinpin

minbinpin

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:38 AM

Are there any other LG BH100 dual format players here on dtvforum?
I could find four or five Aussies posting on the owners thead at AVSforum.
Hopefully there are some dicussions here, on dual format players.

Unfortunately no promo freebie titles for me, but I was just happy to find a HD DVD player at a retailer this late in the game.

I also found a few HD DVDs remaining in Sydney, but would appreciate any feedback on the HD DVD trade thread about trades on the 20 discs I bought today. I found some at DJs, Myer/Virgin and JB plus the remainders at Ezydvd.

Looking forward to learning a lot here. :)

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for one of these LGs Bizi?

#1924 Bizi

Bizi

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for one of these LGs Bizi?

$500 down to $474 as it was a display model. Last one.

:)

#1925 minbinpin

minbinpin

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:13 PM

$500 down to $474 as it was a display model. Last one.

:)

Not bad for a combo drive - you'll get best of both worlds. :)