1486 replies to this topic

#1 Crossy

Crossy

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:05 AM

Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with these units, please?

I'd like some feedback before my son invests his hard earned.

Rob.

#2 Crossy

Crossy

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:01 AM

Any feedback yet please folks?

#3 Bios

Bios

AV Forums Member

• 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

I have the RH1999H ... so far ...
fantastic machine ... just for 1 thing, cannot record from DVD to HDD on copyright dvd's

I am told LG has a code to unblock this, if its for home use only.

But getting this code is a little bit of a mission.

Other than that - no problems, althought must add, i have the machine for about 3 weeks now, but i have always trusted the LG brand with other equipment.

#4 crossy@home

crossy@home

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

Thanks Bios,

Good luck with the unlock code.

I understand that you can't copy your JPG files (photos) from the HDD to DVD, is this the case, please?

Also, have you tried to name a DVD-R or titles on a DVD-R? If so, does this function work after finalisation?

Thanks again for your input.

Rob.

#5 SGID

SGID

AV Forums Member

• 17 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:37 AM

I bought the RH 1777 about 2 weeks ago, so far so good.

Only tip I can really give is if you record onto the HDD, dont bother about editing out the ads as it takes longer to burn top a DVD disk.

You can easily edit out the ads using some software on a PC.

If you edit out the ads and burn it from a HDD to a DVD it takes longer and burns it in real time, ala 2 hour movie (including ads) takes 2 hours to burn to a DVD. Do it without the edit and it bout 20-25 mins.

#6 ozrgv

ozrgv

AV Forums Member

• 52 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:19 PM

I cant tell you about this exact model but Im assuming all recent LGs are pretty similar

You cant change title etc after finalisation - I assume if its like mine you can name what you want before finalisation (however very annoyingly it dosnt transfer title info from the HDD to the burnt DVD so to have to enter it again -- very stupid :blink: )
On my model you cant burn mp3/photo etc from the HDD to a DVD- you can move them off the HDD via a plug in memory card (& you can go the other way mp3/jpeg from disk to HDD)
As said, if you make any edits to the program on the HDD you can no longer use 'fast copy' - however I personally still think its easier to do it this way than on a PC a put up with the slow burn time.
Id be suprised if there is an unlock code to transfer copyright DVDs to the HDD? (but if you find it please let me know :D there are unlock codes for multi region & I believe to stop HDCP via the HDMI (but I cant confirm the the latter)

Hope some of this helps with your model

#7 crossy@home

crossy@home

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

Rob.

#8 Zeak2006

Zeak2006

AV Forums Member

• 13 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:50 PM

I cant tell you about this exact model but Im assuming all recent LGs are pretty similar

You cant change title etc after finalisation - I assume if its like mine you can name what you want before finalisation (however very annoyingly it dosnt transfer title info from the HDD to the burnt DVD so to have to enter it again -- very stupid :blink: )
On my model you cant burn mp3/photo etc from the HDD to a DVD- you can move them off the HDD via a plug in memory card (& you can go the other way mp3/jpeg from disk to HDD)
As said, if you make any edits to the program on the HDD you can no longer use 'fast copy' - however I personally still think its easier to do it this way than on a PC a put up with the slow burn time.
Id be suprised if there is an unlock code to transfer copyright DVDs to the HDD? (but if you find it please let me know :D there are unlock codes for multi region & I believe to stop HDCP via the HDMI (but I cant confirm the the latter)

Hope some of this helps with your model

To remove the region coding (from the rh1999h):
enter "setup" from the remote
Scroll down to the lock symbol
press 0 seven times - you'll get on screen confirmation.

Has anyone been able to remove the copy protection for home use?

#9 Guest_spoleweski_*

Guest_spoleweski_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:46 PM

On the RH1777 I noticed it is the only one out of the three models not to have a HDMI socket. So my question is, when playing back DVDs on a 1080p TV, would a HDMI connection look much different to a standard RGB connection?

#10 klokan747

klokan747

AV Forums Member

• 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

Thought I would share my unpleasant LG experience with my RH1777.

Unit Purchased 27/8/06, dropped off at LG service Centre (GES Rydalmere) 5/12/06 as not recognising any DVDs. Was told 7-10 days to get fixed. Well its now the 20th of January and Its still not fixed.

After writing several emails and letters of complaint, LG have now decided to replace this unit with a new one. About 2 - 3 weeks ago I was phoned by LG and advised a new unit had been approved and would be delivered to my house within 7 days.

I rang LG and GES on the 7th day and was told its just been approved and would be another 7 - 10 days and would NOT be delivered to my house, I would have to pick it up from GES.

GES rang my wife this morning and said new unit ready to be picked up, so off she goes to the address given to her by the lady from GES this morning (Gladesville office) and surprise surprise, its not there, its at Rydalmere and they are closed today.

Further more LG's phone support closed today also for a weekend (who closes for weekends these days!)

So I am extremely upset with both LG and GES. I have written several letters of complaint, but they don't seem to care about customer support at all. I have written to Choice and here in the hope of educating other potential customers of the poor support you can expect.

I will never ever purchase LG products again. Its not just the principle of boycotting them because they messed me around. Its all the time that I have wasted chasing them up on this issue over the last two months. ITS JUST NOT WORTH IT! DON'T BUY LG!!

#11 klokan747

klokan747

AV Forums Member

• 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:50 AM

Further to the LG experience, GES rang my wife on Saturday and told she could pick it up at Gladesville and given instructions how to get their, she shows up and told no unit here, at Rydalmere, they are not open Saturday.

Emailed LG to complain, they rang my wife back and told her she went to wrong place and basically said she was lying about being told by GES to go to Gladesville and about the address she was given. Nice work LG, I think GES is telling you porky pies to cover their rears!!!

Anyway LG agree to courier it out to me but tell my mrs it won't be until Thurday and they can't gurantee it as its a short week!

What sort of company is this? I am writing this now sitting in a hotel room in Tokyo and I can access many many courier companies on the net and organise a pick up first thing in the morning, how hard is it for LG to do the same to keep customers happy.

Take my advice, spend a little more and purchse another brand!!!!!!!!

#12 Furniture

Furniture

AV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:24 PM

Hi all!
I'm new here, etc etc, just wondering if anyone knew the unlock code for the RH1777, 'cause I just bought Harvey Birdman Season 1 and Robot Chicken Season 1 and they're both NTSC, which sucks noodles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Damien.

#13 holster

holster

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:57 AM

I had a RH1777 but took it back as i didnt like the fact that once you edited anything recodred to the HDD it took as long as the movie took to record to copy to DVD.

#14 nicodocet

nicodocet

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:22 AM

Hi to all,
I'm from an italian group which found some useful informations about RH177 (a clone of your RH1777) and how to access to the service menu to enable some hidden functions.
Someone is interested?

@ Furniture
I know the unlock code you are looking for, it is suitable for all firmware version (also 60911A).
What firmware do you have installed?

#15 Bert2

Bert2

AV Forums Member

• 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:37 PM

Is it possible to enable a RH1999 to copy DivX recordings onto a DVD?

#16 nicodocet

nicodocet

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:27 AM

Is it possible to enable a RH1999 to copy DivX recordings onto a DVD?

Till now we haven't found the way... sorry, but we are working on!
We found many other interesting things.....
do you know that the fw is upgradable?
that is possible setting the recorder as region-free?
that you can change the HD?
that there is a service-menu, where you can enable some hidden functions (especialy in basical model)?

... if you want give me the loader (something like SL40) and firmwar version (something like 60911A) and region code, as follow
1) Press "Setup" on the remote control
2) go onto the padlock icon without selecting it
3) press 7 8 8 9 and the "Enter"
... and I'll explain you some tips.

#17 nicodocet

nicodocet

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

Is no one curious? :blink:

#18 Bert2

Bert2

AV Forums Member

• 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:48 AM

Is no one curious? :blink:

Sorry for the delay.

SET: Var = 60807A Cware = 3620_P15 BSP = DMN3 FME
IO: Ver = R60(D61), Loader: SL40 MEARD: Ver 0.30

#19 nicodocet

nicodocet

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:40 PM

No problem!

You have the latest loader bios and not the latest firmware (60911A), but your version is quiet new.

Here how to gain access to the service menu:
1) Press and hold together the up and down arrows on the recorder (not the remote)
for about 6 seconds.
2) Use the left & right buttons on the remote to move through the op codes
And the up & down buttons to change the codes, press enter to save the changes, then menu/list button to exit. The recorder will switch off.

Post a copy of your OP codes (only the two digits after each ops from OP1: to OP8:) and then I will tell you what you can change to get added functions and how to upgrade the firmware, getting region free etc.

#20 tabz_0000

tabz_0000

AV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:46 PM

I can't start a new topic, so I'll tack onto this one.

I have the LG RH4940W is there anyway to record from the HDD to DVD and vice versa faster than real time.

I find it frustrating to wait hours to transfer something from my HDD to DVD.

Thanks

#21 Bert2

Bert2

AV Forums Member

• 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:35 AM

No problem!

You have the latest loader bios and not the latest firmware (60911A), but your version is quiet new.

Here how to gain access to the service menu:
1) Press and hold together the up and down arrows on the recorder (not the remote)
for about 6 seconds.
2) Use the left & right buttons on the remote to move through the op codes
And the up & down buttons to change the codes, press enter to save the changes, then menu/list button to exit. The recorder will switch off.

Post a copy of your OP codes (only the two digits after each ops from OP1: to OP8:) and then I will tell you what you can change to get added functions and how to upgrade the firmware, getting region free etc.

1 0C
2 20
3 05
4 70
5 5E
6 CF
7 01
8 15

#22 nicodocet

nicodocet

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:24 PM

Your model is a top level (you have HDMI, Mpeg4 recording, MC support...), but try this:
OP5: DE (insted of 5E)
you will get a new setup item for "Disc recording mode NTSC/PAL"...

You have strange limitations on AV2 scart connector!
Do you have RGB input support over AV2 scart? How many scart do you have on the back panel? one or two?
Let me know..

P.S.: your model's name is RH1999 or RH1999HS?

#23 slugger

slugger

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

My first HDD-DVR was an LG. (4820? - 80Gb HDD)

I'll never buy anything from LG again. I just reckon their stuff is so far beneath Pioneer and Panasonic, without the accompanying reduction in price.

#24 crossy@home

crossy@home

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:16 PM

My first HDD-DVR was an LG. (4820? - 80Gb HDD)

I'll never buy anything from LG again. I just reckon their stuff is so far beneath Pioneer and Panasonic, without the accompanying reduction in price.

Sorry Slugger, and your point is?

#25 Bert2

Bert2

AV Forums Member

• 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

Your model is a top level (you have HDMI, Mpeg4 recording, MC support...), but try this:
OP5: DE (insted of 5E)
you will get a new setup item for "Disc recording mode NTSC/PAL"...

You have strange limitations on AV2 scart connector!
Do you have RGB input support over AV2 scart? How many scart do you have on the back panel? one or two?
Let me know..

P.S.: your model's name is RH1999 or RH1999HS?

Itís a LG RH1999H, it has a 250GB hardisk with HDMI. It also has a SD card reader. It has no scart connectors. It has one S-video and 2 RCA AV outputs.

It comes standard with many features but not being able to copy a DivX recording to any of the removable media (either a memory card or a DVD) makes DivX recording useless. The only advantage is to save hard drive space. But being able to burn recordings off onto removable media is a far better way of saving hard drive space!

I can record in the normal MPEG2 and copy these recordings to DVD then convert them to DivX MPEG4 on a PC but this is painful and frustrating when I know that the RH1999H can do it in real time!

I donít know why they have crippled their hardware. I suppose it may have something to do with DivX licensing issues.