Photo

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

• Please log in to reply
571 replies to this topic

#76 blokehitchedwith2

blokehitchedwith2

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for that. I knew I shouldv'e checked the Foxtel sight first! :blink:

#77 garbohunter

garbohunter

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

I am no expert on satellite boxes but have you tried (AT YOUR OWN RISK) changing the LNB (High Band Low) Frequency from 10.7 to 11.3 or the other way via the installers menu (to get to that menu :- System Setup/System Settings (picture settings highlighted I think) then press 0611 then press Select).

Thank you cttc for taking the trouble to respond to my question - everything works fine now.
Your assistance is much appreciated...

Garbo.hunter

#78 BigBad64

BigBad64

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:04 PM

In Post #67 in this topic I queried why I was getting B&W through the VCR when I changed to a SCART to S-Video Foxtel to TV cable, instead of the original SCART to composite.

I'm still confused as to what better quality connection cables can be used that will still allow the AV button on the Foxtel remote to operate correctly.

Or is the initial SCART to composite set up (Foxtel to TV & Foxtel to VCR) that Foxtel put in the only thing that allows this AV button to operate?

#79 cttc

cttc

AV Forum Member

• 570 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

I'm still confused as to what better quality connection cables can be used that will still allow the AV button on the Foxtel remote to operate correctly.

The AV button just passes through what you have connected to VCR scart inputs (with no conversion) to the TV scart outputs. So the video connection you have going in must be what you have going out to the TV (eg if you have S-Video going from TV scart to your TV you must have S-Video going into the VCR scart for AV to work). I can't say I have tested anything other than composite input on the pace set top boxes though.

#80 tomohawk

tomohawk

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:42 PM

OK quick question. I have two stb's in the house. The upstairs unit has the phone line connected, the downstairs doesn't. When I order a BO movie I can watch it upstairs but not downstairs. Shouldn't both units show the movie if the stb's are on the same account?

If you order via your foxtel remote, then you can only watch it on the box from which you ordered it (in your case, the upstairs box with the phone line).
HOWEVER, there is a workaround. If you order the box office movie by calling foxtel over the phone, then all your STBs on your account can access it!

#81 BigBad64

BigBad64

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:05 AM

Is there an easy way to confirm exactly what model Foxtel Digital Satellite STU I have? The manual says "DSN700 Series Version 1.0 August 2004". It is a UEC model and the "Hardware Version" in "System Details" is DSN700.2.1.

The unit was installed on 17/8/2006.

The only thing is the front of the STU doesn't look anything like the picture in the manual of the UEC700 which is linked to in the first post of this thread. My "Video Out" in "System Settings" also cycles only between PAL, S-Video & RGB if that's another clue.

It sounds like it is the UEC700, and that if I upgrade my TV I will need a Pace 420 to give me a decent picture?

#82 cttc

cttc

AV Forum Member

• 570 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:24 PM

It sounds like it is the UEC700, and that if I upgrade my TV I will need a Pace 420 to give me a decent picture?

Yes (or the UEC1000) if you want Component or Digital Audio output. That is probably the worst type of box still out there, only good thing is it has separate S-Video out.

#83 piggyboy

piggyboy

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:38 PM

As a noobie to both digital tv and these forums, please excuse what is probably a silly question. I am upgrading to IQ this coming week, and would like to know if I start recording a show, halfway through can I start watching it, while the rest of the show is recording?

#84 cttc

cttc

AV Forum Member

• 570 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:19 AM

I am upgrading to IQ this coming week, and would like to know if I start recording a show, halfway through can I start watching it, while the rest of the show is recording?

Yes it does chase play.

#85 piggyboy

piggyboy

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

Yes it does chase play.

thanks cttc - I'm getting the new box on Tuesday, so I probably should have waited and found out then

#86 D a n

D a n

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:18 PM

In Config A1 of the setup guide it says to use:

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

Can anyone tell me where to buy one of these cables. I need one 10-12m long.

Scart to component is no problem but am having trouble finding one with audio included.

Cheers

#87 cttc

cttc

AV Forum Member

• 570 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:36 AM

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

Can anyone tell me where to buy one of these cables. I need one 10-12m long.

Scart to component is no problem but am having trouble finding one with audio included.

Haven't seen one for sale that is longer than 3meters. I assume you know you are pushing it at those distances. You could:-

a. Use a Scart to RGB/Component adaptor (only seen them with no audio output sockets for some reason) then run male/plug RCA using high quality cables to male/plug RCA cable for the the whole run. Also using the 3.5mm or other(vcr scart) audio output to male/plug RCA cable for the whole run.
b. Use a Scart to Component & Audio cable then use high quality female/socket(or male to female adapter) RCA to male/plug RCA cables for the rest of the run.
c. Get a custom one made up.
d. Relocate the box closer to the primary display device.

EDIT: Found 10m one http://www.keene.co....p?mycode=SBB605 don't now what quality would be like though. Adaptor is probably the better choice though (in case not good quality and for future cable uses).
EDIT: Otherwise this might get the audio out before you used a Scart to RGB cable or adaptor http://www.keene.co....hp?mycode=KA163 or something like this http://www.avico.com.......12&qs4=5260

#88 D a n

D a n

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

Haven't seen one for sale that is longer than 3meters. I assume you know you are pushing it at those distances. You could:-

a. Use a Scart to RGB/Component adaptor (only seen them with no audio output sockets for some reason) then run male/plug RCA using high quality cables to male/plug RCA cable for the the whole run. Also using the 3.5mm or other(vcr scart) audio output to male/plug RCA cable for the whole run.
b. Use a Scart to Component & Audio cable then use high quality female/socket(or male to female adapter) RCA to male/plug RCA cables for the rest of the run.
c. Get a custom one made up.
d. Relocate the box closer to the primary display device.

EDIT: Found 10m one http://www.keene.co....p?mycode=SBB605 don't now what quality would be like though. Adaptor is probably the better choice though (in case not good quality and for future cable uses).
EDIT: Otherwise this might get the audio out before you used a Scart to RGB cable or adaptor http://www.keene.co....hp?mycode=KA163 or something like this http://www.avico.com.......12&qs4=5260

Thanks for the reply cttc.

I will probably go with your option b above (except for the 'high quality' part). I'm trying to do it on the cheap so will try cables from Selby Accoustics. Can do it for around $130 with 15m leads. I figured I would use the highest quality method (component over s-video and copmposite) in the hope that the picture/sound would still be ok at the end of 15m. If it doesn't work will try the RF transmitter/receiver option.

Have you had experience with a long calble run like this? Excuse my ignorance but, is this a digital transmission (from fox stb to HD TV) and as such do I either get picture / no picture, or analogue whereby I get a lower quality picture&sound?

Thanks again.

#89 cyril

cyril

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

If you can solder then a 15meter component cable should not set you back more than $40 (45meters RG59, 6x RCA plugs/sockets) and 15mins at the work bench.

You should see no picture/sound degredation with this length of cable.

Cyril

#90 cttc

cttc

AV Forum Member

• 570 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:23 AM

Have you had experience with a long calble run like this? Excuse my ignorance but, is this a digital transmission (from fox stb to HD TV) and as such do I either get picture / no picture, or analogue whereby I get a lower quality picture&sound?

I have seen people with component cable of 10m+. It is an analog output (all the current Foxtel STB video outputs are analog) so it should be a quality thing. The most common cheap/simple way to do a long run is a single RF (RG6) cable, but usually it is to a second smaller TV.

#91 D a n

D a n

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

I have seen people with component cable of 10m+. It is an analog output (all the current Foxtel STB video outputs are analog) so it should be a quality thing. The most common cheap/simple way to do a long run is a single RF (RG6) cable, but usually it is to a second smaller TV.

I've got a crt tv and stb in lounge room with new LCD 15m away on patio. So would like best picture possible to LCD (at cheapest price) :blink:

Edited by D a n, 06 March 2007 - 09:49 AM.

#92 Deepthi

Deepthi

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:43 PM

very recently I got foxtel digital, I an trying to get foxtel video output as VGA (RGB) going to computer monitor. is this possible?

what is the RGB and YUV (Component) setting in video setup screen. currently I am using component (video setup is set to YUV) if I change that to RGB nothing come out, why is that?.

Anyhelp grately appriciated

#93 cttc

cttc

AV Forum Member

• 570 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:24 PM

very recently I got foxtel digital, I an trying to get foxtel video output as VGA (RGB) going to computer monitor. is this possible?

VGA (RGBHV) is different to the RGB output on the scart. Have a read of:-

http://en.wikipedia....Component_video OR Connection Types

You can buy converters (probably ~$100) but check that your monitor can handle their output.

#94 Deepthi

Deepthi

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

Thank you very much CCTV. I really appriciate your response

#95 cyril

cyril

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:42 PM

Be aware that a sync seperator will allow you to convert a RGB SCART signal to VGA, however not all monitors will accept 15625/50i (ie normal 576i video) as an input, some will, most dont, especially LCD panels.

Cyril

#96 Deepthi

Deepthi

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

Be aware that a sync seperator will allow you to convert a RGB SCART signal to VGA, however not all monitors will accept 15625/50i (ie normal 576i video) as an input, some will, most dont, especially LCD panels.

Cyril

what does this mean?, actually what I am trying to get this to Dell Projector.

I have home theatre environment given as follows,

Equipments are as follow
1. Computer with DVI and VGA outs (ATI 9250 256MB card) and DVICO Dual Digital Card
2. DELL 3300 Projector, accept one of VGA, DVI or Component inputs via DVI (M1-D (P&D)), hence only one input at a time.
3. Currently Computer is connected with DVI cable all works well up to the satisfaction.

I got foxtel digital (cable), now problem is getting foxel to projector while computer also use. Comport connecting to projector is must requirement. I can use computer VGA if foxtel box gives VGA.

I need to get some common output method

#97 cyril

cyril

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:15 AM

Which Dell PJ is it, the basic 1200 only supports Composite and S-video at 15625/25i, the 1800, 2400, 3400 accept either RGB or Component via the VGA port (DB15).

Assuming you have the 1800 or higher, I Personally would use Component via the VGA port, you will require a cable similar to here

Cyril

#98 Deepthi

Deepthi

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:01 AM

Which Dell PJ is it, the basic 1200 only supports Composite and S-video at 15625/25i, the 1800, 2400, 3400 accept either RGB or Component via the VGA port (DB15).

Assuming you have the 1800 or higher, I Personally would use Component via the VGA port, you will require a cable similar to here
Cyril

Its DELL 3300MP

http://www.projector...Dell-3300MP.htm

All thought it as all the connectivity types, Only one at a time accepted via (DVI M1-DA(P&D)) interface. My computer has DVI and VGA, Foxtel box as RGB and Component. Thatís why I am thinking of if I can VGA out from the Foxtel box then no problem. I tried other way which is getting component from the computer, It didnít work very well. Quality is very poor.

Any advice

#99 cyril

cyril

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

I stand by my advise, connect using YUV via the DB15 connector and your on your way. If you chose RGB you need a H&V sync seperator and achieve nothing.

This leaves your PC to feed the DVI input, and the Foxel box to feed YUV (Component) into the VGA connector. Dont go down the RGB over VGA line, it will not benifit you one dot.

Cyril

#100 llama_boi

llama_boi

AV Forum Member

• 63 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:54 PM

Came across this today. It's Pace DSN250. Foxtel seem to have added this new STU to its satellite platform range. Not sure if there is an equivalent cable STU or not.
A few more pics here and here. And one last one for scale here.
As can be seen from the third picture main differences from the Pace 420 are that the modem has been removed, the optical out is now a regular Toslink plug instead of the combined 3.5mm optical/stereo plug and the discrete composite output has also been removed.