Photo

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

• Please log in to reply
568 replies to this topic

#551 doodlefeatures

doodlefeatures

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

I'm not sure, but the settings for video output (PAL, S-video etc) are only for the scart ouputs - if you have a scart to scart and set the output to s-video that should work.

Unless your TV can't accept s-video maybe??

#552 crunfree

crunfree

AV Forums Member

• 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

No, TV has accepted s video from DVD before. I've changed the TV AV input selector all to automatic, but still no go.

#553 EIEIO

EIEIO

AV Forums Member

• 39 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Yeah the new 851 has no svideo best you'll get is composite.

Read my post
http://www.dtvforum....howtopic=101658

Costs about $300 to setup

No HDCP problems and your main HDMI output is not affected.

#554 smithcorp

smithcorp

AV Forums Member

• 43 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hi all - I hope you can help, my head is reeling trying to hook up a new Blu-ray recorder (Panasonic DMR-BWT700GL).

I currently have Foxtel through Optus - a standard DC420N0 set-top box (2x SCART connectors).

Connection to TV (Panasonic) is SCART to component.

Connection to DVR (Panasonic EX-75) is SCART to SCART. Connection DVR to TV is HDMI.

Foxtel picture setting is PAL. We normally watch Foxtel through the DVR.

Now, the new Panasonic Blu-ray recorder (DMR-BWT700GL) has no SCART inputs or outputs - choice is between composite or S-video.

I have bought a Foxtel-compatible SCART to S-video and audio cable from Dick Smith, but after reading lots of threads here and at Whirlpool, I'm confused about settings, particularly incompatibilities between S-video and component outputs from the Foxtel box.

What I'd like to do is just change over the connection from the Foxtel box to the new Blu-ray recorder to be S-video plus audio and leave all the other connections the same (ie Foxtel to TV as SCART to component; and Blu-ray recorder to TV via HDMI).

Can I do this without having to change and picture settings on the Foxtel box and/or the DVD or TV? I assume I would have to change the picture settings on the Foxtel box to S-video, but would this stuff any outputs to the TV?

Any advice about settings would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance,

smith

#555 miata

miata

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Hi all - I hope you can help, my head is reeling trying to hook up a new Blu-ray recorder (Panasonic DMR-BWT700GL).

I currently have Foxtel through Optus - a standard DC420N0 set-top box (2x SCART connectors).

Connection to TV (Panasonic) is SCART to component.

Connection to DVR (Panasonic EX-75) is SCART to SCART. Connection DVR to TV is HDMI.

Foxtel picture setting is PAL. We normally watch Foxtel through the DVR.

Now, the new Panasonic Blu-ray recorder (DMR-BWT700GL) has no SCART inputs or outputs - choice is between composite or S-video.

I have bought a Foxtel-compatible SCART to S-video and audio cable from Dick Smith, but after reading lots of threads here and at Whirlpool, I'm confused about settings, particularly incompatibilities between S-video and component outputs from the Foxtel box.

What I'd like to do is just change over the connection from the Foxtel box to the new Blu-ray recorder to be S-video plus audio and leave all the other connections the same (ie Foxtel to TV as SCART to component; and Blu-ray recorder to TV via HDMI).

Can I do this without having to change and picture settings on the Foxtel box and/or the DVD or TV? I assume I would have to change the picture settings on the Foxtel box to S-video, but would this stuff any outputs to the TV?

Any advice about settings would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance,

smith

Maybe I'm missing something but I'd be using HDMi on everything, instead of Scart and Component.

#556 smithcorp

smithcorp

AV Forums Member

• 43 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

There's no HDMI connections on the Foxtel box, only SCART.

#557 peterca

peterca

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

From what I remember if the box is set to output S-video both the TV and video recorder SCART output S-video. If the TV SCART is set to component then the video recorder SCART defaults to composite.

#558 smithcorp

smithcorp

AV Forums Member

• 43 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

Thanks chaps, I got it all hooked up and working fine.

#559 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Ignore - my confusion

Edited by BamBBBam, 11 October 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#560 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

I have a problem with HDMI output for audio on a IQHD cable box model TDC850NF. There appears to only be 2 choices for audio HDMI ouput, MPEG or AC3 whereas I need PCM. The optical output choices are the same, MPEG or AC3. Is there any way to get PCM out of a TDC850NF? I did contemplate asking Foxtel for an update to the later model box but I have looked at the manual for the TDC851NF and the choices appear to be the same, MPEG or AC3. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Gary

#561 doodlefeatures

doodlefeatures

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Any channel without DD is PCM (according to my amp), I'm not sure there's anyway to make the DD channels PCM though (whatever it is)...I don't know what they are if the output is set to MPEG though

#562 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Any channel without DD is PCM (according to my amp), I'm not sure there's anyway to make the DD channels PCM though (whatever it is)...I don't know what they are if the output is set to MPEG though

Mine is the same, the processor displays PCM when not DD. The problem is achieving HDMI lock when directly changing from one channel in DD to another channel in DD, it's OK going from PCM to DD or vice versa. Which seems to be a symptom of the AC3 compression via HDMI. There is no problem via optical connection, just HDMI, as usual.

Selecting MPEG results in no audio at all from the receiver.

Cheers
Gary

Edited by GaryCook, 20 March 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#563 Storm AV

Storm AV

AV Forums Member

• Banned
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

with foxtel set to ac3 and use optical for sound-you won't be missing any hd sound as fox doesnt have anything over 5.1dd.....maybe 1 day they will fix their hdmi issues!

#564 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

with foxtel set to ac3 and use optical for sound-you won't be missing any hd sound as fox doesnt have anything over 5.1dd.....maybe 1 day they will fix their hdmi issues!

I've come to that conclusion, maybe the IQ3 box might address it, not holding my breath though.

Cheers
Gary

#565 garyvx

garyvx

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

I'm about to try and get my brother-in-laws Foxtel box (Pace DS250NF) connected to the AV input on a Toppy TFR-2400.
Currently he has his Foxtel box connected to his TV via Component (YUY setting on Video out) using the TV SCART connector.
Does the VCR SCART connector also output Component?

Regards Gary

#566 laurie

laurie

AV Forums Member

• 6,447 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Does the VCR SCART connector also output Component?

Regards Gary

hmm I think its only RGB ? way back people here were asking about RGB ----> to component converters

cheers laurie

#567 mark92

mark92

AV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

hey guys, I have a quick question regarding my foxtel setup in my home. In my household I currently have two foxtel iq2/hd boxes. I am looking at moving one of the boxes from one of the bedrooms to the living room (other one is located in the family room). My initial plan was to add another set of coaxial cable from the satellite to the living room, leaving the coaxial set in the bedroom alone, incase I decide to relocate the box back to it. After I have talked to an electrican regarding the setup and getting a quote for the job, the electrician said the foxtel satellite only allows two sets of coaxials to be ran at one time, so my option was to disconnect the one running in the bedroom to the satellite. Just confirming whether the electrician is right and if there are any other possible options?

#568 doodlefeatures

doodlefeatures

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

We have three satellite IQs, I don't know how it's done with regard to splitters etc but they all work and that's 6 cables

#569 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

Hey All

A friend's place had a big power surge recently, the Foxtel box eventually came back on but it may ave been recording at the time, it required the full 0611 reset before the hard rive could be accessed.

Now it's recording ok, but the menus are extremely sluggish, you can almost see it drawing the EPG, line by line. I'm not sure why - if the power was screwed, it wouldn't work at all but is working and recording ok, just very slow. Any suggestions?