256 replies to this topic

#1 Electronicman

Electronicman

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:50 PM

DTV must be rolling out along the N W Coast sooner than planned! :P

Why - SBS advertised in the Advocate yesterday that Test Broadcasts for Table Cape will commence on UHF 29, at 2500W ERP starting September 18. They will be of short duration during the early morning hours where possible.

Full time broadcasting is expected to commence four weeks prior to November 1st but will vary in duration and power! :P

Hopefully all the other channels will come on air at that same time as Kelcey Tier did. (That will mean Burnie will have to be up and running as Table Cape will feed from Round Hill!!) - here's hoping :P

I bet the reception locator has not been updated. Most of the public has found this web site and they take it as gospel as to when DTV will commence and won't be told otherwise!

I have even had a TV salesman at a major electrical store in Burnie argue that DTV will not commence on the N W Coast until after March next year as the channels have not been allocated! This was after Kelcey Teir had commenced test broadcasts! :D I could go on for hours about the crap that this guy was sprouting and no doubt telling his customers! Typical bloody salesmen - don't know fact from fiction!! :blink:

#2 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

Interesting if initially interference issues will arise with SBS29 & WIN35 digital from Table Cape and SBS29 & WIN35 analogue from Mt Barrow.

#3 Electronicman

Electronicman

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

Interesting if initially interference issues will arise with SBS29 & WIN35 digital from Table Cape and SBS29 & WIN35 analogue from Mt Barrow.

Back from your holidays then Marc? Just in time for the take-up of Digital in Devonport. I've had a few calls from the area while you've been gone? :D

I can't wait to find out regarding the interference! It will be interesting to say the least! All is well in theory, what shows in practice is another matter! :blink:

Maybe SBS is bringing Digital TV forward because of the 'venetian blind' interference they are experiencing with the Wynyard analogue transmitter? I spent the best part of an hour on the phone with a tech from the ACMA trying to establish the cause, a couple of weeks ago. He was not getting the interference on a portable TV at the transmitter site, but he was when parked in the main street of town. The interference is all over the reception area from Rocky Cape through to Burnie!

#4 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:26 PM

Yep. Back and coming into sync with local time and weather.

Good to see Kelcey Tier up and running, just in time for the AFL finals. Will be interesting to get to some of the fringe areas to see the improvement digital might make.

Signal here is excellent (4K from TX and looking right at it).

btw I guess the ABC made some alteration to their transport stream when they changed their HD channel.

Had a few calls about loss of ABC 2 but couldn't do much from the other side of the world :blink:

#5 Electronicman

Electronicman

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:27 PM

Good to see Kelcey Tier up and running, just in time for the AFL finals. Will be interesting to get to some of the fringe areas to see the improvement digital might make.

Hopefully (read wishing) SCTV will get their other N W sites up and running for the AFL finals! :blink: Doubt it!

I've got a list a mile long waiting for Table Cape to go - none have any hope off Mt Barrow!

#6 Electronicman

Electronicman

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:16 AM

Digital ABC and SBS now streaming from Table Cape in full 1 and 0's :blink:

Not yet noticed any interference on SBS 29 but will do more tests with analogue SBS 29 from Mt Barrow soon to see if any interefence exists.

No commercial broadcasting from Table Cape as yet to see any problems with WIN 35!

#7 Electronicman

Electronicman

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:06 PM

Not yet noticed any interference on SBS 29 but will do more tests with analogue SBS 29 from Mt Barrow soon to see if any interefence exists.

Today the interference problems arose :D - VCR/Austar RF outputs going haywire with ABC 45 Digital! (Which incidentaly is about the only clear RF output channel due to Burnie and Mt Barrow analogue channels streaming into this area!)

Can't wait till SCTV38 & WIN35 start interfering with Austar and Pub Keno boxes! :blink:

#8 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:35 AM

What do you do with the Austar ones?

Retune the box or suggest the customer contact Austar?

Expect more when Round Hill 65/66/67/68 start up.

Don't care much about pub keno as the few I was ever involved in years ago had such crap distribution systems decided to never touch them again. (Don't have a gaming licence (technician) anyway)

#9 Electronicman

Electronicman

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:01 AM

What do you do with the Austar ones?

Retune the box or suggest the customer contact Austar?

Expect more when Round Hill 65/66/67/68 start up.

Don't care much about pub keno as the few I was ever involved in years ago had such crap distributioon systems decided to never touch them again. (Don't have a gaming licence (technician) anyway)

I re-tuned the Austar box (45 back to 44) on the one that caused problems yesterday, then re-tuned 5 TV's and 4 video's - only as it was distributed around the house via RF on his distribution system that I installed a few years ago!

I have heard Austar are installing channel filters around the pubs in Devonport to combate the same channel interference there.

Round Hill will be a massive problem as nearly all new videos over the last 3-4 years have RF out on 65!l Austar boxes are now installed on 69 and this should prove to be OK next to digital 68! Yesterday proved digital channel next to an analogue channel should (in most cases) be OK :blink:

I didn't realise that a gaming licence (technician) was a requirement to work on Keno TV's in the pubs! :D

#10 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:46 PM

I didn't realise that a gaming licence (technician) was a requirement to work on Keno TV's in the pubs! :blink:

I'm not sure. I was asked the question when replacing a masthead at one of the Devonport foreshore hotels about 5 years ago. The plug-pak was next to a clunky old keno commodore (I think) computer feeding some crudster distribution amp and then the TV's, so I was fiddling in that area at the time. Didn't bother to follow it up as haven't done any related work since.

#11 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:09 PM

Noticed when in Sheffield last week ABC/SBS digital running from Mt Claude. Be nice if the commercials were up there as well, it would make things easier for some people.

Wonder just how many people use the service? I would have installed maybe 3 utilising this site in all the years it has been up and running.

#12 Nifticus

Nifticus

AV Forums Member

• 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

Perhaps someone might be able to give me some advice on reception at Boat harbour (on top of the hill, not the beach). I have been using a Panasonic HD STB for 18 months with very few problems, and I recently added a Yess PVR SD STB to the system. The Yess seems to have regular dropout problems which strangely seem to coincide with station promos and ad breaks. (Sounds perfect but is actually quite annoying). The TV is a Grundig and the Yess is connceted via SCART, and the Panansonic via Component. The Yess problem occurs regardless of the Panasonic being connected to the system. Any thoughts?

#13 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

Hazlewoods Hill Ulverstone ABC (45) and SBS (39) observed today.

Transmissions commenced last Friday :blink:

#14 chriswoo

chriswoo

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

The DTV roll-out across the coast seems to be progressing quite well....after a long (or what seemed like a long time) of just Hobart and Launceston being rolled out it's now the coast's turn...

How are the digital channels named across the coast?? eg: "ABC NORTH TAS" etc.

#15 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:45 PM

The DTV roll-out across the coast seems to be progressing quite well....after a long (or what seemed like a long time) of just Hobart and Launceston being rolled out it's now the coast's turn...

Providing you watch ABC & SBS only atm.

How are the digital channels named across the coast?? eg: "ABC NORTH TAS" etc.

Don't know. My meter doesn't have a NIT module. Someone else may be able to say.

edit: Kelcey Tier repeats Mt Barrow so the same names come up. This confuses punters who can receive both, thereby getting some or all of the channels twice when doing an auto tune, and not knowing how to edit the results to give a more functional channel table.

Edited by marcj, 01 November 2006 - 05:48 AM.

#16 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:56 AM

Installing set top box in West Ulverstone to overcome poor reception and found signals from Kelcey Tier corrupting Heazlewoods Hill translator signals.

Interesting. :blink:

I'm assuming it's not really a SFN, just frequency re-use.

Ended up getting Mt Barrow digital to solve.

#17 Electronicman

Electronicman

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:23 PM

Installing set top box in West Ulverstone to overcome poor reception and found signals from Kelcey Tier corrupting Heazlewoods Hill translator signals.

Interesting. :blink:

Ended up getting Mt Barrow digital to solve.

Got a gut feeling, either Kelsy Tier or Heazlewoods Hill are interfering with Forth as well! :D Two different customers - 1 living at Forth, the other at Turners Beach but both off Forth analogue translator, described exactly the same problems to me yesterday. In process of checking out answers.

Agree with you here Marc - more problems to come when commercials commence I reckon! :P

#18 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:09 PM

Mt Major, Mt Tassie and probably other transmitters in Victoria are causing intermittent loss of digital reception to some Kelcey Tier and Mt Barrow services located in marginal areas.

The ducting events occurring now on a regular basis are the reason behind this.

With the re-use of frequencies along the NW coast one wonders how much this will affect the rollout of digital services, when the potential exists to lose reception without notice for up to 6 months of the year.

#19 Rogan1980

Rogan1980

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

I am on the NW coast (Burnie) and have pretty poor analogue signal (is this an aerial issue not sure who I would get to help me there any suggestions would be appreciated). I tuned in my STB today (aerial pointing roughly towards Table Cape) and get pretty good signal (clear picture and no breakup) on ABC, ABC2, and the SBS stations.

Should I be able to get TDT SC and WIN? My mate who lives just behind Parklands shop gets it all with a masthead amplifier, but when I spoke to an aerial guy (sorry can't remember who?) was told I wouldn't be able to get digital in Bay St (2 blocks away)

We have now moved up the hill a bit but yeah like I said my analogue signal isn't even any good. Why would that be does anyone know? Will improved analogue reception lead to improved digital reception? Should I get the amplifier and try that? Any help or points in the right direction would help!!

#20 Electronicman

Electronicman

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

I am on the NW coast (Burnie) and have pretty poor analogue signal (is this an aerial issue not sure who I would get to help me there any suggestions would be appreciated). I tuned in my STB today (aerial pointing roughly towards Table Cape) and get pretty good signal (clear picture and no breakup) on ABC, ABC2, and the SBS stations.

Should I be able to get TDT SC and WIN? My mate who lives just behind Parklands shop gets it all with a masthead amplifier, but when I spoke to an aerial guy (sorry can't remember who?) was told I wouldn't be able to get digital in Bay St (2 blocks away)

We have now moved up the hill a bit but yeah like I said my analogue signal isn't even any good. Why would that be does anyone know? Will improved analogue reception lead to improved digital reception? Should I get the amplifier and try that? Any help or points in the right direction would help!!

The reason that you cannot get WIN, Southern and TDT digital signals from Table Cape is relitively simple - they are not transmitted from there as yet. ABC and SBS are being transmitted as they receive their signals from fibre optic and satelite respectively. The commercial channels will "channel hop" meaning Round Hill (Burnie) will receive its input from Devonport, and inturn, Table Cape, Penguin and Ulverstone will receive from Round Hill. So Round Hill needs to be going first. :blink:

Your mate would be getting his digital channels from Mt Barrow. Along that part of Burnie it would be a very hit and miss affair and without doing a site survey on the digital reception from Launceston, I could not advise you of any measures to take.

You might get away with re-polarising your existing antenna or you may have to spend hundreds of dollars on a phassed array antenna and masthead amp. I would advise against this unless you really want immediate digital reception of TDT as it would not be very long before it will be transmitted from Table Cape. I was hoping this would happen before Christmas. I know the equipment is installed and has been turned on once or twice on the Cape as I have actually received the carrier signals (but no program) on the allocated channels for the Cape!

As it is very difficult to know what is happening at any particular residence, I could come to your place and offer a no obligation free quote as to what you need to do at your place. However, a site survey (if you wished to have one performed) it will cost $40.00.

One thing with digital reception, equipment has to be in excellent condition, which should be right for you, otherwise reception will be very ordinary, if non-existant.

PM me with your details if you would like me to make a visit. (Your in box has been turned or full!)

#21 Rogan1980

Rogan1980

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

PM me with your details if you would like me to make a visit. (Your in box has been turned or full!)

Thanks for the information

I get told that I can't use the personal messaging feature on these boards (can't send an email either...hmmm)? Not sure what's going on, looked in my settings but can't see why.. is this similiar to having to have 10 posts before you can post a new thread?

I will keep trying to PM or email as obviously I wouldn't want to post my details in such a public forum, but will try to be in touch next week to arrange something. Do you run an aerial business in Burnie?

Thanks again!

#22 Electronicman

Electronicman

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the information

I get told that I can't use the personal messaging feature on these boards (can't send an email either...hmmm)? Not sure what's going on, looked in my settings but can't see why.. is this similiar to having to have 10 posts before you can post a new thread?

I will keep trying to PM or email as obviously I wouldn't want to post my details in such a public forum, but will try to be in touch next week to arrange something. Do you run an aerial business in Burnie?

Thanks again!

:D I do have my own antenna (and other electronic) installation services based in Wynyard but I do cover all areas. Check my logo, and then look in the 64 yellow pages directory on page 364 or Yellow pages ad

:blink: Business hours are Mon - Friday; 8am to 6pm. After these hours, calls will only be answered at reasonable times. (Saturdays are OK most of the time).

Thank you

#23 zeehan

zeehan

AV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

Hello - just joined the forum and it does not allow me to start a thread.

Would like to know when we get digital in Zeehan - West Coast TASMANIA, our transmission comes from Mt. Owen-Queenstown.

On the dba site it states "Draft DCP" - what does DCP stand for?

Thanks

#24 chriswoo

chriswoo

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

I think DCP stands for Digital Channel Plan

It's a document produced by the ACMA that basically outlines channel and power allocations for the various channels in that area.

Each area, NOT each TX site, from my understanding has a DCP. eg. South TAS has a DCP for its Broudcast services, as does ( i think, and i will stand correted) Burnie, Devonport, Scottsdale, and the west coast. I think also Greater NE Tas is served by one DCP.

This for example, would allow the ACMA to allocate channels for TV in the respective areas. eg ABT 2 in Hobart is the Analog ABC Channel, and the digital equivilent is 8. The document outlines this type of thing. It also outlines TX power, Direction of the signal and location of were the Tx site actualy is required to be.

So for a site like Mt Owen the DCP will contain info like:

TX site: Mt owen then a Grid Reference, or i have seen them say somthing like: within 200m of X location

A channel allocation: eg 32

A TX Power rating: say x amount of watts in any direction or in a specific direction (to explain that further, Mt Wellington is an Omni-directional Transmitter, same amount of power in all directions. A site like Mt. Owen would be directional, as whats the point of wasting power to transmit to an area where there as very very few customers, eg the south west).

And a Polarisation: eg vert or horizontal (which way you antenna goes, currently the ABC in Queenie is Vetical.

They contain a lot of info....mostly all info that is used by the ACMA during planning.

Heres a link to the South Tas for commercial TV:
ACMA South TAS DCP

Hope that all made a bit of sense... :blink:
Chris...

#25 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:32 PM

SCT LCN 66 MyTalk running with test pattern (colour bars) atm.

(Oh I see there is already a thread on MyTalk didn't search first before posting.)

Edited by Island Antennas, 13 April 2007 - 06:02 AM.