• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

I've tried a few 2.4Ghz AV senders over the years and they've all had minor problems. With a cordless phone, wi-fi network and microwave in the house all operating in the 2.4Ghz band it was a miracle that my present one worked at all. Actually it did work, but only some of the time. It slowed my wireless network no matter what channels I selected and often caused the pic on the TV to break up. The audio was very "crackly" too. So I finally decided to try a new 5.8Ghz AV sender, a DOSS AVS5800.

Setting up was a breeze. Just connect the supplied RCA AV leads. Next, position the infrared sender near the Foxtel Digital box, plug in the plugpak power supplies and switch everything on. It worked perfectly straight away. Immediately I had a crystal clear pic on my 20" LCD TV in the bedroom from the Foxtel box located two rooms, three walls and 10 metres away. The remote works as it should, audio is clear and my wi-fi network is working better than ever. Best $200 I've spent in quite a while.

#2 Groover !

Groover !

AV Forum Member

• 3,917 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

Hey Alfred
Where did you buy the DOSS AVS5800 from ?
cheers Angelo

#3 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:09 AM

Hey Alfred
Where did you buy the DOSS AVS5800 from ?
cheers Angelo

Radio Parts Group in West Melbourne. We get a discount through work so I actually paid $187 (probably got ripped off :blink: )

#4 Groover !

Groover !

AV Forum Member

• 3,917 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

I wounder if its the same one being sold by Jcar ?

#5 Valentine

Valentine

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

The Doss unit looks exactly like the Jaycar version from the pictures.

I just bought the Jaycar version of the 5.8Ghz Wireless transmitter / receiver combo 5 days ago after returning the 2.4Ghz version due to horrific interference from my Uniden 2.4Ghz cordless phones.

The 5.8Ghz unit worked well the first night with crystal reception, but since then it has been nothing but static. I've tried different channels, antenna placements, source signals and displays to no avail. I'll be returning it first thing tomorrow for and exchange as I might have been unlucky and got a dud unit.

The Jaycar one costed me $249.

Or on second thought get a refund and buy the Doss unit!

Cheers Val

#6 ols

ols

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:28 AM

I have been looking out for 5.8 ghz av senders in Oz for some time.

The Doss unit is the Jaycar unit which is the vidcam unit which is the electus distribution unit which is the wintal unit which is the unit available on ebay!!! :D :P :P

Unfortunately for us it is all the same unit with rrp of $250. :blink:

Obviously it can be got cheaper but is still double the price of the 2.4ghz versions.

I am very fortunate in getting good service from my two 2.4 transmitters,one hooked up to the pc(streaming all music,downloaded video files etc) and the other to the combo dvd/video(giving me analogue fta,dvd,vhs video and foxtel) sending to the home theatre room, main bedroom ,kids tv and to my television outside.

Yeah,I know, only composite quality video and rca audio but with five kids you can't imagine how pleasant it is to sneak outside and catch a one-dayer on a 68cm tele whilst plonked next to your 370 litre bar fridge when the sea breeze kicks in on a hot summers day.

But of course like nearly every aussie home we have a microwave which causes grief to the transmission for those short periods when it is in use which will usually conflict with peak viewing times.

I am waiting for the day when more brands of 5.8 become available and the prices come down some way to justify to the missus mothballing the 2.4's and switching across to all 5.8 units.

One day soon :P :P :P

Ols

#7 allabella

allabella

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

I've tried a few 2.4Ghz AV senders over the years and they've all had minor problems. With a cordless phone, wi-fi network and microwave in the house all operating in the 2.4Ghz band it was a miracle that my present one worked at all. Actually it did work, but only some of the time. It slowed my wireless network no matter what channels I selected and often caused the pic on the TV to break up. The audio was very "crackly" too. So I finally decided to try a new 5.8Ghz AV sender, a DOSS AVS5800.

Setting up was a breeze. Just connect the supplied RCA AV leads. Next, position the infrared sender near the Foxtel Digital box, plug in the plugpak power supplies and switch everything on. It worked perfectly straight away. Immediately I had a crystal clear pic on my 20" LCD TV in the bedroom from the Foxtel box located two rooms, three walls and 10 metres away. The remote works as it should, audio is clear and my wi-fi network is working better than ever. Best $200 I've spent in quite a while.

I agree - mostly. The picture on the other TV is perfect and not even our microwave interferes whereas with the 2.4's we tried, there was constant static. I purchased from ebay (3 years warranty apparantly!!) Price has varied between $140 - $210. I don't think I have set it up properly as we cannot view foxtel on the TV to which the foxtel is attached - there does not seem to be enough slots at the back of our DVD/VCR player. Would this be correct or have I done something wrong. Did you purchase additional receivers to view on the other TV's or do you unplug it each time?

#8 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:39 PM

I agree - mostly. The picture on the other TV is perfect and not even our microwave interferes whereas with the 2.4's we tried, there was constant static. I purchased from ebay (3 years warranty apparantly!!) Price has varied between $140 - $210. I don't think I have set it up properly as we cannot view foxtel on the TV to which the foxtel is attached - there does not seem to be enough slots at the back of our DVD/VCR player. Would this be correct or have I done something wrong. Did you purchase additional receivers to view on the other TV's or do you unplug it each time?

We have two Foxtel STBs. The STB we use to send throughout the house has two outputs. From memory, a SCART (S-Video) on one and a composite video out on the other. One is hooked up directly to the TV and the other one is hooked up to the AV sender unit.

#9 Bravia

Bravia

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:35 PM

Atm im planing to buy one after i get my lcd tv .. there always on Ebay the Doss 5.8Ghz just incase no body knew from under 200 bucks! :blink:

If i put it ontop of my PC Tower is there a good chance it will get stadic and interfear?

Cheers
Marcello

#10 ols

ols

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:56 AM

Hello allabella :blink:
1.You need to make sure sure foxtel is tuned through your vcr.
2.Because of the lack of outputs from your dvd/vcr you will need a switching box(available from dse)
which will allow you to connect multiple sets of leads into the switching box for your different sources but you just have one connection from the av sender transmitter coming from the dvd/vcr.
Only hassle is you will need to push a switch on the front of this box depending on when you want to watch the sender's content on the bedroom tele /outside tv/kids tv.
Don't cost a lot. :D
I have two av transmitters due to having pc content as well but with my combo dvd/vcr it means the missus and I can watch foxbox,analogue tv,dvd's and even old vhs videos on the tv in our bedroom or outside ,all from one av sender transmitter.
Good to hear the prices are coming down on the 5.8''s cause we have some new neighbours,nice as they are,that have cordless 2.4 ghz phones that stuff around with our reception on occasions.
Hope this helps
Ols

#11 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,413 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

I thought they had different channels to switch to if interference is a problem :blink:

cheers laurie

#12 ols

ols

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

I thought they had different channels to switch to if interference is a problem :P

cheers laurie

Hi Laurie,
Yes mine do thanks,mate, but only three. :blink:
Considering we already have two transmitters using up two of the channels and the interference is only on the odd occasion and fairly minimal we live with it rather than jumping up to flick switches.

I'm waiting for the 5.8ghz price to drop lower so I can convince the missus to spend the money to go with 5.8.

When you consider that will be two transmitters and four receivers it will probably be some time off yet. :D
Cheers
Ols

#13 hawkeye78

hawkeye78

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

Hey guys, I just received a Cocoon 5.8GHz AV sender from Envious Technology yesterday. Got a chance to set it up today and it works great! Pricing was around $148 from memory but this one also has dual inputs, so I think its pretty competitive and there's not a lot out there that seem to be of comparible quality.

Had a little problem at the start setting it up but that ended up being "operator error"!! It's actually pretty simple to set up and it doesn't experience any of the interference that I had issues with on my older 2.4GHz model. FYI The unit can be found here at Envious Technology

#14 pasty

pasty

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the tip hawkeye78 I ordered one of these last week and set it up last night.

It was set up and working in 10 mins and the picture was very clear and sound is excellent. I'm hoping to try out the reception from 15m's away and down stairs. If it works well enough then this was $$$ well spent!

#15 ijuschill

ijuschill

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:30 AM

Hey guys, I just received a Cocoon 5.8GHz AV sender from Envious Technology yesterday. Got a chance to set it up today and it works great! Pricing was around $148 from memory but this one also has dual inputs, so I think its pretty competitive and there's not a lot out there that seem to be of comparible quality.

Had a little problem at the start setting it up but that ended up being "operator error"!! It's actually pretty simple to set up and it doesn't experience any of the interference that I had issues with on my older 2.4GHz model. FYI The unit can be found here at Envious Technology

Just to let people know that Dick Smith now have these Cocoon AV Senders for sale in their lastest brochure for $148

#16 Foz

Foz

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:17 AM

Just wondering if these 5.8ghz Av Senders work with the Foxtel IQ Box or is it just the Foxtel Digital Box?Thanks.

#17 Riv39

Riv39

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:03 PM

Just wondering if these 5.8ghz Av Senders work with the Foxtel IQ Box or is it just the Foxtel Digital Box?Thanks.

They will work for any composite video output from a device e.g. DVD, VCR, Digital STB etc. I have the Cocoon sender and it works well, little if any interference ever, much better then the old 2.4GHz units

#18 snoo

snoo

AV Forum Member

• 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

They will work for any composite video output from a device e.g. DVD, VCR, Digital STB etc. I have the Cocoon sender and it works well, little if any interference ever, much better then the old 2.4GHz units

You might want to test the foxtel remote before purchasing... some AV/IR senders don't pick up the Foxtel IR remote carrier signal as it runs outside the normal 34-45khz range.