• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#151 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:50 AM

I've got an ASUS Geforce 9500GT video card and a Pioneer Blu Ray burner. Im using my PC for watching movies. I have the PC and TV connected via a HDMI cable at present.

When i have the resolution set at 1024*768 i get a clear picture that fits perfectly in my TV screen.

When i have it set a 720p the picture quality is poor (very pixelated) and the desktop is about 4cms too big on every side of the screen. The taskbar dissappears along with any icons on the sides or top of the screen.

When i have it set at 1080i the desktop shrinks to a square in the middle of the screen and the picture quality is horrible.

If i have it set at any resolution other than the ones listed on the back i get a 'no signal' message.

I also have an issue where to get the picture to fit the screen properly when watching a movie i have to watch it in 4:3... So basically its like the TV is naturally 1024*768 and 4:3.

I've been in the display settings and nvidia settings and nothing much works.

I found a post online elsewhere that said the 720p claim was a furffy with this TV and that made sense considering my problem.

Is it possible i have an earlier model (or just a model with different firmware) than yourself and that is the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated. The picture quality at 1024*768 is still good... But would like it if i could have it set at 720p and watch everything at 16:9 with it filling the screen.

I have an ATI graphics card hooked up via HDMI and I use two screen resolutions. For watching recorded video from DTV I run Media Player Classic at 1280x720 (720p). All files that have less than 1280x720 resolution, I use ffdshow to resize and sharpen the picture to 1280x720. It works reasonably well but despite trying a zillion different settings and recommendations from forums like this one, the result is nowhere near as good as my Oppo DVD player. Files that are 720p or 1080i look outstanding on the TV with MPC.

As you have mentioned, at 1280x720 there is overscan and you loose most of the taskbar and edge of the picture, so for most other HTPC usage I use a custom resolution of 1200x672. This allows me to see the whole windows desktop on the screen. Setting up custom resolutions with the supplied Control Center software is easy with ATI 4800 series graphics cards but I have no idea what is involved with NVidia's cards.

LG recommends 1024x768 over the VGA connection and the picture is acceptable but the aspect ratio is incorrect and the picture is not as sharp as native 1280x720.

#152 pplspoet

pplspoet

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

I have an ATI graphics card hooked up via HDMI and I use two screen resolutions. For watching recorded video from DTV I run Media Player Classic at 1280x720 (720p). All files that have less than 1280x720 resolution, I use ffdshow to resize and sharpen the picture to 1280x720. It works reasonably well but despite trying a zillion different settings and recommendations from forums like this one, the result is nowhere near as good as my Oppo DVD player. Files that are 720p or 1080i look outstanding on the TV with MPC.

As you have mentioned, at 1280x720 there is overscan and you loose most of the taskbar and edge of the picture, so for most other HTPC usage I use a custom resolution of 1200x672. This allows me to see the whole windows desktop on the screen. Setting up custom resolutions with the supplied Control Center software is easy with ATI 4800 series graphics cards but I have no idea what is involved with NVidia's cards.

LG recommends 1024x768 over the VGA connection and the picture is acceptable but the aspect ratio is incorrect and the picture is not as sharp as native 1280x720.

Thats interesting. As i said my picture at 720p is pretty hopeless.

At 1024*768 its pretty great. DVD picture quality is far better than through my panasonic DVD player.

I dont suppose anyone knows a way to beat the overscan on the TV?

Does the text on your desktop or just in programs in generall look clear at 720p? I find it gets quite messy where as at the res im using looks quite crisp. Is it possible for something like text to look poorer at 720p but for pic quality of a bluray disc for example to be better? I would have assumed everything would look better...

Thanks for your help too. ;)

#153 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

Thats interesting. As i said my picture at 720p is pretty hopeless.

At 1024*768 its pretty great. DVD picture quality is far better than through my panasonic DVD player.

I dont suppose anyone knows a way to beat the overscan on the TV?

Does the text on your desktop or just in programs in generall look clear at 720p? I find it gets quite messy where as at the res im using looks quite crisp. Is it possible for something like text to look poorer at 720p but for pic quality of a bluray disc for example to be better? I would have assumed everything would look better...

Everything should look best at the native resolution of the display. In this case it is 1280x720 (720p). At this res text is very sharp and clear on my TV. Perhaps its the way your graphics card is set up. I'm sorry I cannot provide any more real help.

#154 pplspoet

pplspoet

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

Everything should look best at the native resolution of the display. In this case it is 1280x720 (720p). At this res text is very sharp and clear on my TV. Perhaps its the way your graphics card is set up. I'm sorry I cannot provide any more real help.

Im thinking of switching to an raedon 4850 card. Did you have any configuring to do when you hooked it up or did it work with the TV out of the box?

Also, did you say that at 720p you still lose some of the screen with the overscan? But the picture quality of the stuff that is still in the screen is fine?

Cheers for the help.

#155 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

mine had overscan @ 720p also. when the 360 was outputting at 720p i could move the picture around with the arrow keys on the remote.

#156 DaWatcher

DaWatcher

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

Hi all,

My TV is DEAD! 142cm 52SZ8R-TB, over 10'000 hrs and never had an issue. Last night tried to turn it on and the TEMP led just flashed continuously also the power indicator stayed red. No usual start up noises....nothing!

I removed the lamp and found it to have been possibly blown...at the bottom of the lamp it was melted. and the lamp warning had been on for over a year.

I replaced the lamp & no difference... :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers.

#157 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hi all,

My TV is DEAD! 142cm 52SZ8R-TB, over 10'000 hrs and never had an issue. Last night tried to turn it on and the TEMP led just flashed continuously also the power indicator stayed red. No usual start up noises....nothing!

I removed the lamp and found it to have been possibly blown...at the bottom of the lamp it was melted. and the lamp warning had been on for over a year.

I replaced the lamp & no difference... :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers.

Start up noises? The lamp warning light has been on for over a year and you chose to ignore it?

The help you require is beyond the realms of this forum. Seek psychiatric help immediately.

#158 DaWatcher

DaWatcher

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

Start up noises? The lamp warning light has been on for over a year and you chose to ignore it?

The help you require is beyond the realms of this forum. Seek psychiatric help immediately.

The lamp light is only an indication that the set has clocked up a predetermined set of hours! not that the lamp is u/s! :wacko:

Do you own this moddel of RPTV??? When i say "start up noises" I mean the click from relays or whatever inside....been doing that since day 1. :wacko:

I would prefer to get real responses not garbage from keyboard happy, nothing better to do, dog wankers!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

#159 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forum Member

• 3,680 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

The lamp light is only an indication that the set has clocked up a predetermined set of hours! not that the lamp is u/s! :wacko:

Do you own this moddel of RPTV??? When i say "start up noises" I mean the click from relays or whatever inside....been doing that since day 1. :wacko:

I would prefer to get real responses not garbage from keyboard happy, nothing better to do, dog wankers!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

Wow,don't hold back :wacko: .As for Alfred if you read read this thread you will find he is a knowledgeable? poster.And as for your problem it seems that a service call might be your only salvation.
Paul.

#160 bugs1357

bugs1357

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

Just wanted to add my experience to the forum. I too have this TV since Fathers Day 2005. Have clocked up 14500 hours with only one lamp replacement so far.
Did notice a gradual loss of brigtness towards the end of the first lamp at about 8000 hours. And what a difference a new lamp made! Also noticed fan noise increasing over time and so will probably replace that when next lamp is installed. Only ever had one issue with it after about three months of ownership. Really bad picture breakup with lots of vertical lines all over display and pixels flickering. Sevice center replaced on of the boards and it has worked flawlessly ever since. Must say we have been exceptionally happy with this unit.

#161 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Just wanted to add my experience to the forum. I too have this TV since Fathers Day 2005. Have clocked up 14500 hours with only one lamp replacement so far.
Did notice a gradual loss of brigtness towards the end of the first lamp at about 8000 hours. And what a difference a new lamp made! Also noticed fan noise increasing over time and so will probably replace that when next lamp is installed. Only ever had one issue with it after about three months of ownership. Really bad picture breakup with lots of vertical lines all over display and pixels flickering. Sevice center replaced on of the boards and it has worked flawlessly ever since. Must say we have been exceptionally happy with this unit.

We've had the TV for a couple of months longer than you but have only clocked up 12000 hours. Yes the lamp change certainly made a noticeable difference but oddly enough it didn't require recalibration. Happy to hear that you've had such a good run with the unit.

Ours has just started to make a noise on start up that stops after a couple of minutes. It sounds like the colour wheel to me but it is still under an extended warranty so I'm not concerned.

#162 Mongy

Mongy

AV Forum Member

• 44 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:26 AM

Howdy,

Mindless meander with question at the end

I've had no major problems with my TV. I can't remember when I bought it, but I think I got it on special when it first came out, before returning to whatever normal price it was.

I did have the lamp light come on some time ago, and did the ring around to find out about getting it fixed. I think I was quoted at one stage $500 for a call out by my local TV guy who was a LG repair rep. I then forgot about it.

So recently, came home to clear my set top box as had a few shows I wanted to record while I was out on a Friday night, and after about 2 minutes of being on, I had a noise which sounded like a large amount of static coming thru an amp, and the tv went black. I guessed that the lamp had finally blown.

Got home and decided I'd have a look at how hard it was. Found a guide of what and how to do it all. Pulled the lamp out, and it had gone at the bottom of the glass shaft. Sat down on the internet to look around and find prices, and where I could get a lamp on a weekend. Found places, one previously suggested at Toowoomba, and also one at Noosaville (I'm in Brisbane). Checked ebay and saw about most decent price was $180 plus $20 delivery (from an Aust seller). Did ring arounds on Saturday morning, all the places I had found were closed for the weekend. Decided to try the local TV guy again. They had it for $220, and said that they had a few people recently looking for the same lamp (I think it is also same lamp for a 62DLP).

Popped it in, followed instructions (had small problem getting last screw in), and tried turning it on. Yay, it worked.

OK, so I go to look at resetting lamp time. Instructions given to me by TV repair guy are pretty much what is said previously, OK on TV, Mute on remote, 5-10 secs. I've tried it a number of times, and still can not manage to get it work. Is there a timing trick to it ie press OK just before Mute, other way around, or both at the exact same time. I think I've tried all ways. I know the OK button on the TV works, as it does stuff when in normal menu, and mute on remote works as the symbol comes up for that. Chucked in new batteries also. Has any one tried doing it with a learning remote?? I might set it up on a Logitech and see if that works. I want to reset it for obvious reasons, but also quite keen to see how long I got out of it, as tend to have TV on a fair bit in this house.

Cheers

Edited by Mongy, 05 June 2009 - 07:58 PM.

#163 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forum Member

• 3,680 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:28 PM

Mongy,keep trying as it's all in the timing.
I have done it and it may take a few(lot)goes.
You're on the right track.
Paul.

#164 Mongy

Mongy

AV Forum Member

• 44 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

OK. Found some other generic instructions for LG TVs. Found the Menu/Menu Menu. Scared me a little ;)

Found it works easy having the main normal menu up before pressing the OK/Mute.

Have clocked up 13317 hours

I think something stuffed up tho. Pressed key to reset, went back to look at screen again, and the value was still showing as the lamp life, as well as total value. Reset again, and now total value is double, showing 26000 hours. I can live with that, as long as there isn't some other warning thingy that comes up after xxx amount of hours.

Now I just need to find a good media player..

#165 Tuckabag

Tuckabag

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Hi All,

I have an RT-52SZ60DB which has clocked up 6076 hours on the original globe.
Recently the tv has begun to turn itself off and flash the globe warning lamp. Once shutdown it turns back on no problem.
I am assuming the globe is on the way out and I am going to replace it. Is there anything else I should look at whilst I am changing out the globe?

Cheers.

#166 gloryforixseal

gloryforixseal

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

My personal opnion? This thread is no longer contributing anything worthwile to the board. Were I mod and I was once, a long time ago on another board. I would probably lock the heck out of it.

But thats just me

#167 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forum Member

• 3,680 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:27 PM

My personal opnion? This thread is no longer contributing anything worthwile to the board. Were I mod and I was once, a long time ago on another board. I would probably lock the heck out of it.

But thats just me

Well,who died and made you boss.
This thread has helped me heaps.
My personal opnion,see ya.
Paul.

#168 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:47 AM

But thats just me

Just trolling are we? Actually your post contributes nothing to this thread and if I was a mod your post would have been deleted.

Like many others I have found this thread very informative and interesting.

#169 Tuckabag

Tuckabag

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:50 PM

But thats just me

My personal opinion? If you dont have anything constructive to contribute then keep it to yourself.
Thanks for assisting in answering my question though, found your input invaluable........

I too have found plenty of good information in this thread, though I would like to know if there is anything else to check whilst I am swapping globes.

#170 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forum Member

• 3,680 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

My personal opinion? If you dont have anything constructive to contribute then keep it to yourself.
Thanks for assisting in answering my question though, found your input invaluable........

I too have found plenty of good information in this thread, though I would like to know if there is anything else to check whilst I am swapping globes.

Tucka,
afaik this TV is rock solid.Apart from the globe i can't fault it.
Paul.

#171 Tuckabag

Tuckabag

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

Tucka,
afaik this TV is rock solid.Apart from the globe i can't fault it.
Paul.

Cheers Paul. :D

#172 Vapour76

Vapour76

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

Hi,

A friend is selling his 52sz8r for $700 and I'm wondering whether you guys think it is worth me buying or not. I have been planning to save for a $3000-$4000 46 or 50 inch LCD, but won't be able to afford one for at least another 6 months, probably 12. I currently have a Panasonic 76cm widescreen CRT television, so a 52sz8r would be a nice increase in size and picture quality.

The 52sz8r for sale is 3 years old and apparently has recently had a new globe installed, but I'm not sure whether that's true or not. It's got a 5 year warranty but I'm not sure if that's still valid if I buy it. My TV is normally on for an average 8 to 10 hours a day, and it's used for Foxtel, PS3 and watching DVDs and Blu Rays through the PS3.

So do you think this would be a good buy or am I better off keeping my current TV and waiting till I can afford a brand new LCD or LED or something of the type in 12 months time? Obviously the 52sz8r was great when it came out 3 years ago and plasmas and LCDs weren't as good as they are now, but was wondering how it compares nowadays.

Thanks.

#173 pplspoet

pplspoet

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

I just replaced my lamp on my LG252sz8r-tb. For about 2 weeks after i was having trouble turning the set on. Sometimes it would work and other times it would take 3 or 4 goes to get the lamp to light. Now i have a problem where the set will turn on and then turn itself off and go back to standby after a few minutes.

Anybod had a similar problem and know the fix?

#174 Purple21

Purple21

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

I'll bump too. Had one of these for 14 months now and it must have averaged about 8 hours use a day. Only problems i've had so far was it not wanting to turn on with the remote and freezing when changing to HDMI. It did both a few times in a few week period a few months back (is that enough fews?) but hasn't missed a beat since.

Regards

Purple

____
dossier surendettement

#175 pplspoet

pplspoet

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

Problem fixed. It was a faulty replacement globe. Sent it back to them and installed the replacement and it was perfect. A really great TV i am glad i am not going to have to replace.