Lg 52sz8r Dlp Rptv - Owner's Report 12 Months On

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#126 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forums Member

• 3,666 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

My LG has developed a crackle :angry2: in both left and right speakers.It's not the inputing devices(LG PVR and Pioneer DVD via HDMI) that are causing it.Any tips folks,hopefully it's as simple as changing the lamp.I will try RCA tommorrow.Here we go again :(
Paul

Its ok now :blink: .Posting here scared the crackle right out of it.
Paul.

#127 dunnas

dunnas

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

i found a globe at the local electronics store that fix tv etc LG gave me there number so i could buy it easier .cost me $195 which was alot cheaper than even LG was selling and when asking the business if it was a correct globe they said yes they actually get them of LG so i was wrapped ive tried the mute on remote and ok on tv doesnt do anything but ill just ring LG and they can help me
i am leaving yr site ive never met someone so petty as u picking on pointless things like saying diff instead of differant and c instead of see if u talk alot on the net u would know these and many other forms of shortcuts r used to spell a word and also on punctuation sorry im not perfect like u r but im not rude as u either

I'm the only one to even respond to you (after 5 days might I add), let alone actually try and help, and you call me petty? In short, F*** You, you ungrateful little wanker.

To expand on thata little. I just said you might want to avoid using words like that on a forum like this (by this I mean not full of 14 year olds). It was a suggestion so that more (any) people might actually read and reply to your posts next time. You're grammar is not great as it is, and I was looking for any punctuation at all, not perfect punctuation. There's no need to make things even harder to decipher with things like 'yr' for 'your', which would generally mean 'year' anywhere else, especially when it was also all in capitals which are so much harder to read quickly.

As for you're ridiculous claim of 'If I talked a lot on the net I would know people use shortcuts', of course I know that. Generally people use them in personal messaging, chat rooms, more casual message boards, if they're 12 years old and thinks it makes them look cool or if they type at speeds that would make a glacier appear quick. The thing that confuses me is that you're the big online expert, yet I learned very quickly that TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS IS CONSIDERED YELLING AND IS RUDE.

Edited by dunnas, 11 November 2008 - 03:55 PM.

#128 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

i found a globe at the local electronics store that fix tv etc LG gave me there number so i could buy it easier .cost me $195 which was alot cheaper than even LG was selling and when asking the business if it was a correct globe they said yes they actually get them of LG so i was wrapped ive tried the mute on remote and ok on tv doesnt do anything but ill just ring LG and they can help me
i am leaving yr site ive never met someone so petty as u picking on pointless things like saying diff instead of differant and c instead of see if u talk alot on the net u would know these and many other forms of shortcuts r used to spell a word and also on punctuation sorry im not perfect like u r but im not rude as u either

In language you can understand ............ yeah ... whatever!

Edited by Alfred Smith, 12 November 2008 - 01:07 PM.

#129 crashit

crashit

AV Forums Member

• 12 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:42 PM

Hi guys, I've just joined, the board is telling me I can't start a new topic.

Anyways, I also have one of these TV mine is also a couple of years old now, been absolutely faultless I love it.

#130 crashit

crashit

AV Forums Member

• 12 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:45 PM

recently I can't turn on my TV with my remote.

I just recently moved house. Prior to moving it couldn't turn on the tv with the remote.
I woudl have to physically turn it on.

Then I moved house, which means I powered down the tv completely.
for the past couple of weeks, the remote is working fine. TV turns on with the remote.
Now suddenly it started again, i can't turn on the tv with the remote.

Off, is good, all other functions are great.

Has anyone experienced anything similar..?

#131 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:38 AM

recently I can't turn on my TV with my remote.

I just recently moved house. Prior to moving it couldn't turn on the tv with the remote.
I woudl have to physically turn it on.

Then I moved house, which means I powered down the tv completely.
for the past couple of weeks, the remote is working fine. TV turns on with the remote.
Now suddenly it started again, i can't turn on the tv with the remote.

Off, is good, all other functions are great.

Has anyone experienced anything similar..?

Yeah ours has done that. Every six months or so the remote will not power up the TV. I just switch the TV off the master power switch on the right hand side for a few seconds, switch it back on and the remote works as good as gold.

The TV has worked pretty much flawlessly since we bought it in July 2005. We have changed the lamp once at around 7900 hours. The picture is great but blacks could be much better under low ambient light. I placed a small "daylight" fluoro lamp behind ours as bias lighting and that has improved the apparent black level heaps. Overall I've been very happy with the TV.

#132 crashit

crashit

AV Forums Member

• 12 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:49 AM

Yeah ours has done that. Every six months or so the remote will not power up the TV. I just switch the TV off the master power switch on the right hand side for a few seconds, switch it back on and the remote works as good as gold.

The TV has worked pretty much flawlessly since we bought it in July 2005. We have changed the lamp once at around 7900 hours. The picture is great but blacks could be much better under low ambient light. I placed a small "daylight" fluoro lamp behind ours as bias lighting and that has improved the apparent black level heaps. Overall I've been very happy with the TV.

Alfred Hi, thanks for the reply.
is there any official explanation from LG why this happens..? it's very odd.
it's not only with the TV remote, I have an LG set top box, they threw in, it's power on button for the TV will not work either.
So it's very much a physical TV issue.

#133 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forums Member

• 3,666 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

Mine has done this also,only now and again.
I find it a great TV.
Paul.

#134 dunnas

dunnas

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

Put me down for the TV not turning on with the remote too. It recently did it for about a three week period and then fixed itself.

Reading the posts here I'd say it's possible that a blackout did it because thinking back we had one around the time it started working again.

#135 crashit

crashit

AV Forums Member

• 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

Put me down for the TV not turning on with the remote too. It recently did it for about a three week period and then fixed itself.

Reading the posts here I'd say it's possible that a blackout did it because thinking back we had one around the time it started working again.

I tried turning it off for a few seconds yesterday and that didn't work. Today i went home for lunch and had it turned of for at least 30mins and that worked.

I have called LG australia and they are keen for me to follow this through as they don't have it down as a itemised problem.

I have just called Impulse Electronics, authorised repairer here in melbourne and they are aware of the problem.
it's either a Digital Board or CRM Driver Board, repair estimate $500 to $700 dollars.

I'll let you know what LG say.

#136 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

I tried turning it off for a few seconds yesterday and that didn't work. Today i went home for lunch and had it turned of for at least 30mins and that worked.

I have called LG australia and they are keen for me to follow this through as they don't have it down as a itemised problem.

I have just called Impulse Electronics, authorised repairer here in melbourne and they are aware of the problem.
it's either a Digital Board or CRM Driver Board, repair estimate $500 to $700 dollars.

I've dealt with Impulse Electronics in Maribyrnong with a Yamaha warranty claim and I must say they were pathetic. My mum's DVD player was skipping on certain discs so I took it in to them (44km drive) and I even gave them a couple of discs that were problematic. I rang them every 4-5 days to get a progress report. They NEVER called me .... not once. Finally after 7 weeks I rang and was told it was ready. I asked why they didn't ring me and tell me it was repaired and they became very rude. I picked up the player and it was covered in a sticky black residue. I complained and they insisted it was like that when I dropped it off which was utter nonsense. I got it home and the player was doing exactly the same thing with exactly the same discs. I sent a letter to Yamaha to complain. A seemingly nice bloke from Yamaha rang and advised me to take it back, which I did. After another 4 weeks I got it back and it worked OK. In all a waste of two months over a $250 DVD player!

I'm sure some have similar horror stories but I swear I will never buy Yamaha again nor would I go to Impulse to repair something under warranty.

#137 lgservicetech77

lgservicetech77

AV Forums Member

• 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

Hi, I can assure you, LG are aware of this issue releasing a firmware update to rectify the fault. If the firmware doesnt rectify the fault, the replacement of the main pcb will. Nothing that hasnt been experienced by reputable LG service centres before.
I posted this on 14 july last year in this forum.
Hope it helps....
Oh and to find a reputable LG service centre, go to their site and look for service centres with "Elite" next to them.

Hi mate,
FYI - intermittant remote operation is a known problem on the 52SZ8R - requires a firmware update to rectify this problem. Some people have intermittant problems, others the remote ceases to operate the tv, even though the set & the remote are operating correctly. If the problem is frustrating or gets worse, organise for a reputable LG service centre near you to carry out this work as required for you.
Hope it helps.

#138 crashit

crashit

AV Forums Member

• 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

Hi, I can assure you, LG are aware of this issue releasing a firmware update to rectify the fault. If the firmware doesnt rectify the fault, the replacement of the main pcb will. Nothing that hasnt been experienced by reputable LG service centres before.
I posted this on 14 july last year in this forum.
Hope it helps....
Oh and to find a reputable LG service centre, go to their site and look for service centres with "Elite" next to them.

Hi mate,
FYI - intermittant remote operation is a known problem on the 52SZ8R - requires a firmware update to rectify this problem. Some people have intermittant problems, others the remote ceases to operate the tv, even though the set & the remote are operating correctly. If the problem is frustrating or gets worse, organise for a reputable LG service centre near you to carry out this work as required for you.
Hope it helps.

Hey LGservice Tech, thanks for the reply.
Problem is I need costs, for me to get LG to help, I need to pay $170 odd dollars to get a tech to my door, then I guess replace the part.

Here is the reply I got from the Cust Manager at LG. ( I have to say, not having a dig, nice guy, very fair).

Hi

When we spoke last week I advised that if LG were to possibly even consider assistance we require a report from an authorised service centre (ASC). An over the phone estimate does not apply.
I also mentioned last week that LG does not consider this a manufacturing fault based on a handful of customers with similar experiences that have posted on forums. I too have researched the forums and yes there are some customers with similar issues, most of them complimenting the TV which is great news.

At the end of the day you understand that a repairer needs to fix your TV regardless, which involves paying a call out fee for them to look at it and repair it so having to pay upfront for them to get the ball rolling is in your best interest.

As I mentioned last week LG does sometimes consider assisting customers outside the manufacturers warranty with parts or labour costs (or both) however this decision is never reached without a service report from an ASC with a break down of costs for parts and labour. Without this LG cannot determine if you are still covered by your implied warranty. This process is never a guarantee that LG will be able to assist; however it is the best process in place to assist customers outside of manufacturers warranty requesting service assistance from LG.

#139 crashit

crashit

AV Forums Member

• 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

Just further to my post.

I called Impluse and got the following.

$ 180 ex for the PCB
$ 154 ex to pick it up and bring it back
$ 250 ex for labout to fix it.

My point here is it's going to cost me another $600 odd dollars to fix this irratating minor issue.
When LG should now about this problem and take responsbility for it.

As stated I'm not the only punter with this issue, so there for it can't be user error or wear & tare.

I am waiting for LG to come back to me with a response. I'm not shelling about $600 to fix a problem, which is clearly something they should pick up.

LG man, can you clarify how you know this is a "known" problem.
As nice as the Cust Man is from LG he states, it is NOT a known problem.
Also dismissing comment from Forums, he states they have staff look at forums for comments positive or negative.

So any support you can give me would help. I would probably say this would set a precedent, because if they fix mine, then there is now reason why they shouldn't fix the problems of the others on here.

#140 dncjl

dncjl

AV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

Hi everyone, ive got a lg 132cm rp 52sz8r-tb, had it for about 4 years now and i just checked the total lamp useage to be 13645 hours ( 3 kids and i love movies). Only to turn it on today and the picture has turned green and purple, i have no idea whats going on but am thinking about opening it up to see if anythings awry internally. If anyone's had the same problem i would really appreciate a solution if possible, cheers.

#141 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forums Member

• 3,666 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hi everyone, ive got a lg 132cm rp 52sz8r-tb, had it for about 4 years now and i just checked the total lamp useage to be 13645 hours ( 3 kids and i love movies). Only to turn it on today and the picture has turned green and purple, i have no idea whats going on but am thinking about opening it up to see if anythings awry internally. If anyone's had the same problem i would really appreciate a solution if possible, cheers.

Dncjl,I suggest you read the last 4 pages of this thread.
All will be ok.If it's the lamp it's easy DIY.
Happy xmas.
Paul.

#142 dncjl

dncjl

AV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

Dncjl,I suggest you read the last 4 pages of this thread.
All will be ok.If it's the lamp it's easy DIY.
Happy xmas.
Paul.

Thanks Paul, and a merry xmas to you too. I have a spare lamp which i'll try, but i've also got a strange fan like noise when i turn the tv on, which stops when i switch it off. When it happened to yours did the picture go so bad? I've read somewhere else its the colourwheel, but im not sure how accurate that is. I'm just glad i didnt get any dvds for xmas, that'd add salt to the wound :P thanks again.

#143 pplspoet

pplspoet

AV Forums Member

• 8 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

I just inherited an LG 52sz8r TV... And im loving it.

Firstly a question. I checked my lamp usuage and it is well above 6000 hours. Would i be experiencing any loss in quality at this stage? I cant notice any, but then again i didnt own the TV when it was brand new. I did notice the other day that after being on for about 30 seconds the screen dims ever so slightly, and then does it again about a minute later too. I realise i will have to replace the lamp eventually, is it worth doing it now? Will i see an increase in performance?

Secondly, i thought i would post something that has taken me a week of research to figure out. Im pretty sure it hasnt been posted anywhere else in this thread.

While i am no expert i am 99% that the LG 52SZ8R cannot disply at either 720p or 1080i. It will accept a signal at that resolution, but it will not display that many pixels on the screen. It will reduce that signal to a 1024 X 768 display. This is its true maximum resolution as best i can deduce. I've been trauling the net for that answer and no one has put it that simply so i thought i would. That isnt that much of a problem as long as you are viewing that screen at about 3 metres mind you. But despite the presence of a HDMI connection and lables that say 720p and 1080i, it will not produce those resolutions truly.

Thanks for the help so far, this forum has been great.

#144 cufa

cufa

AV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

My manual doesn't have this information. Perhaps its because my TV is one of the first ones sold (16/7/05) . So I tried the lamp check thingy as you described and horror .... shock ..... 3446 hours! It looks like I under-estimated my usage a fair bit.

Hi,

How do you check the hours on an LG 52SZ8R-TB RPTV? I've tried holdin the Ok & Menu button but all i get is 1080Hz ( I don't know what this means)?? Can you please help me. We have just changed the lamp today and the guy in the service centre told us to hold the Ok & menu together and then Ok after that, but nothing happening.

Is it a different process to reset the hours?

#145 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:40 PM

I just inherited an LG 52sz8r TV... And im loving it.

Firstly a question. I checked my lamp usuage and it is well above 6000 hours. Would i be experiencing any loss in quality at this stage? I cant notice any, but then again i didnt own the TV when it was brand new. I did notice the other day that after being on for about 30 seconds the screen dims ever so slightly, and then does it again about a minute later too. I realise i will have to replace the lamp eventually, is it worth doing it now? Will i see an increase in performance?

Secondly, i thought i would post something that has taken me a week of research to figure out. Im pretty sure it hasnt been posted anywhere else in this thread.

While i am no expert i am 99% that the LG 52SZ8R cannot disply at either 720p or 1080i. It will accept a signal at that resolution, but it will not display that many pixels on the screen. It will reduce that signal to a 1024 X 768 display. This is its true maximum resolution as best i can deduce. I've been trauling the net for that answer and no one has put it that simply so i thought i would. That isnt that much of a problem as long as you are viewing that screen at about 3 metres mind you. But despite the presence of a HDMI connection and lables that say 720p and 1080i, it will not produce those resolutions truly.

Thanks for the help so far, this forum has been great.

Utter nonsense. The TV is natively 720p, i.e. 1280x720 pixels.

Edited by Alfred Smith, 17 January 2009 - 05:07 PM.

#146 pplspoet

pplspoet

AV Forums Member

• 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

Utter nonsense. The TV is natively 720p, i.e. 1280x720 pixels.

What makes you think that? The label?

Do you have it hooked up to a pc where you can monitor the resolution you are sending to it? It wont display 720p or 1080i without scaling it. It will accept the signal, but the only time you get an optimal image is at 1024*768. Regardless of what LG say on the box. Happy to be proven wrong.

Is anybody using it as a monitor and sucessfully getting a 720p display?

#147 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

What makes you think that? The label?

Do you have it hooked up to a pc where you can monitor the resolution you are sending to it? It wont display 720p or 1080i without scaling it. It will accept the signal, but the only time you get an optimal image is at 1024*768. Regardless of what LG say on the box. Happy to be proven wrong.

Is anybody using it as a monitor and successfully getting a 720p display?

It works fine at 720p hooked up to my Oppo or HTPC. There is some overscan at 720p, so I switch between 1280x720 for watching TV and videos and 1200x672 for normal desktop, web surfing, gaming etc.

#148 pplspoet

pplspoet

AV Forums Member

• 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

It works fine at 720p hooked up to my Oppo or HTPC. There is some overscan at 720p, so I switch between 1280x720 for watching TV and videos and 1200x672 for normal desktop, web surfing, gaming etc.

Thanks for that. I guess im back to the drawing board. ;)

#149 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for that. I guess im back to the drawing board. ;)

What exactly are you trying to do?

#150 pplspoet

pplspoet

AV Forums Member

• 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

What exactly are you trying to do?

I've got an ASUS Geforce 9500GT video card and a Pioneer Blu Ray burner. Im using my PC for watching movies. I have the PC and TV connected via a HDMI cable at present.

When i have the resolution set at 1024*768 i get a clear picture that fits perfectly in my TV screen.

When i have it set a 720p the picture quality is poor (very pixelated) and the desktop is about 4cms too big on every side of the screen. The taskbar dissappears along with any icons on the sides or top of the screen.

When i have it set at 1080i the desktop shrinks to a square in the middle of the screen and the picture quality is horrible.

If i have it set at any resolution other than the ones listed on the back i get a 'no signal' message.

I also have an issue where to get the picture to fit the screen properly when watching a movie i have to watch it in 4:3... So basically its like the TV is naturally 1024*768 and 4:3.

I've been in the display settings and nvidia settings and nothing much works.

I found a post online elsewhere that said the 720p claim was a furffy with this TV and that made sense considering my problem.

Is it possible i have an earlier model (or just a model with different firmware) than yourself and that is the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated. The picture quality at 1024*768 is still good... But would like it if i could have it set at 720p and watch everything at 16:9 with it filling the screen.

Edited by pplspoet, 21 January 2009 - 03:28 PM.