Lg 52sz8r Dlp Rptv - Owner's Report 12 Months On

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#51 Thomas T

Thomas T

DTV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:54 PM

You need to press "OK" on the TV front panel and "Mute" on the remote at the same time for about 5-10 seconds for the lamp life indicator/reset to come up.
I now have 3 lamps but I only paid $149ea for them so I think I'll hang on to them. If I was you, I'd try eBay (use search in description and worldwide) for replacements. I got mine in 3 days from the USA.

LAMP PART NO: 6912B22007B
120W UHP lamp

Lamp suits the following TVs:
LG 52SZ8R
LG 52SX4D
LG 62SX4D
Zenith Z44SZ80
Zenith Z52SZ80

Good luck

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for your quick response. I tried the "OK" and "Mute" simultaneously and still no luck.
I'll search on the NET for those bulbs. Based on that price, you didi well I think and you should hang on to them :blink:.

Cheers,

Thomas

#52 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

DTV Forums Member

• 435 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for your quick response. I tried the "OK" and "Mute" simultaneously and still no luck.
I'll search on the NET for those bulbs. Based on that price, you didi well I think and you should hang on to them :blink:.

Cheers,

Thomas

If you're still interested, the bloke I bought mine off, is selling them again on eBay here

I can vouch for him. His response and delivery times are excellent. I received mine about 3-4 days after payment.

#53 xr06t

xr06t

DTV Forums Member

• 465 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

hi guys, another question..

how many clicks and clunks does everyones set make when firing it up.. mine used to make 2 clicks but it has recently been in for repair and had major work done to get rid of the different shades of black i was expierening either side of the screen..

it now makes around 6 clicks and clunks before the picture comes up and takes alot longer, approx 15 - 20 seconds..

how is everyone elses?

cheers

#54 Denis Cheong

Denis Cheong

DTV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

does anyone know about the upgrade port or wether there is anything i can do to move the picture across for the rgb input frim the stb?? when using this the picture looks better, albeit over to oneside..

This has been annoying me forever on my LG 52SZ8R ... what I've found recently is that the native resolution (720p; 1280x720) will display perfectly centered at 60Hz (NTSC) but is shifted badly to the left at 50Hz (PAL). I have tested and determined this using my Mac Mini source (which is the only source I really use).

As you will already know, the horizontal adjustment in the menu is not sufficient to shift it enough to the right to fix this.

One working alternative is to use the service menu to do a full picture shift off to the right - this menu option will display calibration borders but you need to ignore these and continue to move the picture further off to the right to get it in the correct position.

I haven't done any specific comparison tests to judge whether the upscaling on my Pioneer VSX-AX4AS will convert 50Hz PAL broadcasts to 60Hz for the proper TV alignment nicely or not ... but putting your receiver into NTSC (60Hz) frequency mode is also another option that should work.
Would be interested to hear if anybody else has this problem - I never noticed this on my dad's set, but he's using an LG STB ... I have seen this on both my Mac Mini and an Asus PC, when using HDMI input.

#55 xr06t

xr06t

DTV Forums Member

• 465 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:28 PM

thanks for the reply.. i have since given up on the rgb and am using component for everything.. it is a little more difficult to get the picture setup as i would like but it is now good enough..

#56 freshairau

freshairau

DTV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:58 AM

My lamp on my LG 52sz8r-tb has gone after 4500 hours with a fizz noise; I saw a lamp online for $350 but was pleasantly surprises when my local repair shop got it in for me within 2 days for $180 australian. For that I got piece of mind that there would be no breakage or other problems that can occur when purchasing through the internet. I put the lamp in myself with rubber gloves and took photos of the job during disassembly which were handy during reassembly. Not that this is a difficult job by any means, 15 minutes it took me and woila, my favourite computer monitor was back in action. To show you how easy it is I posted my images here http://www.theming.c..._lamp_replaced/ :blink:

Edited by freshairau, 13 May 2007 - 10:38 AM.

#57 xr06t

xr06t

DTV Forums Member

• 465 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:11 PM

where abouts are you located mate? i would be interested in another lamp for 180$!

thanks for the pics also

#58 freshairau

freshairau

DTV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

where abouts are you located mate? i would be interested in another lamp for 180$!

thanks for the pics also

Here you go, sure these guys are happy for a bit more business DRTV Service
Cnr Herries & Dent Streets Toowoomba QLD 4350
ph: (07) 4632 1044

#59 marks

marks

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:40 PM

I'm still happy with mine, I checked the lamp hours and we are up to 3900... Not bad for a 2.5 year old TV!

I only paid $2k or so for mine, so if it dies in another 2-3 years, I'll happy replace it with something newer/bigger/better :blink:

#60 Ted

Ted

DTV Forums Member

• 713 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

I'm still happy with mine, I checked the lamp hours and we are up to 3900... Not bad for a 2.5 year old TV!

I only paid $2k or so for mine, so if it dies in another 2-3 years, I'll happy replace it with something newer/bigger/better :blink:

the LZ MW60SZ12 dies usually just after 4000hrs. A replacement 50" plasma or a rpl is the usual replacement LG has been giving, under pressure. I doubt any MW60SZ12 has worked long enough to need a lamp replacement. Check the loooonnng thread on it on this forum.

#61 marks

marks

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:30 AM

Should I be glad I have the 52" version then?

#62 firthy69

firthy69

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:13 AM

I got the Lamp life end message pop up today, set is still working fine, so I thought I'd check the hours its done.
7906, :blink: not too bad i suppose, Im off to search for a new replacement lamp though so I dont have a lot of downtime when it fizzes out.
That guy selling em cheap on ebay from the US isnt currently offering em, bah...

#63 xr06t

xr06t

DTV Forums Member

• 465 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

my god man! thats a good effort..

do you have any of the problems listed in this thread? especially the brighter lhs of the screen?

cheers

#64 lgservicetech77

lgservicetech77

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

I phoned a local technician about changing the lamp, and he said that it needed to be done by a pro because they need to set the voltages and adjust the filters. Is this correct? because he quoted me between $500 and $600 supplied and fitted. I can get the lamp for $170 odd which sounds much better than $600. Any info would be great.

Mate, sounds like a load of BS. Effectively, you pull out the lamp & replace it. Then reset the hour timer. You cannot adjust the voltage. These lamps run on 15,000V and are controlled by a ballast (similar principal to a fluro tube but with more voltage) Obviously $600.00 is a bit excessive.
Charges vary depending on model & lamp type to callout to the home, install the lamp & reset hours. I also clean out all the filtration system as this is important to maximise the lamp life. Also remember the set must be turned off with the remote and i generally advise people to not us the set unless they are prepared to leave it on for at least an hour. A majority of customers who follow this regrime usually see 7000+ hours on their lamps . The lamp also then holds a three month manufacturers warranty (only if installed by LG tech). Sometimes i reckon people can forget that it does cost money to come out to do the job for them.

Unfortunately some lamps are dearer than others. For those with LG tvs who think their lamps are expensive. Look out for your fellow peers with Sony RP Tv. I recently fell over at the wholesale price of a Sony lamp i needed to order in for a customer of mine. It was $948.35 before any markup. I sold it to customer at cost because i felt it was a bit excessive.

Just a bit of advice to help

#65 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:39 PM

Mate, sounds like a load of BS. Effectively, you pull out the lamp & replace it. Then reset the hour timer. You cannot adjust the voltage. These lamps run on 15,000V and are controlled by a ballast (similar principal to a fluro tube but with more voltage) Obviously $600.00 is a bit excessive.
Charges vary depending on model & lamp type to callout to the home, install the lamp & reset hours. I also clean out all the filtration system as this is important to maximise the lamp life. Also remember the set must be turned off with the remote and i generally advise people to not us the set unless they are prepared to leave it on for at least an hour. A majority of customers who follow this regrime usually see 7000+ hours on their lamps . The lamp also then holds a three month manufacturers warranty (only if installed by LG tech). Sometimes i reckon people can forget that it does cost money to come out to do the job for them.

Unfortunately some lamps are dearer than others. For those with LG tvs who think their lamps are expensive. Look out for your fellow peers with Sony RP Tv. I recently fell over at the wholesale price of a Sony lamp i needed to order in for a customer of mine. It was $948.35 before any markup. I sold it to customer at cost because i felt it was a bit excessive.

Just a bit of advice to help

Thanks for the info. :)

#66 lgservicetech77

lgservicetech77

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:18 PM

Well I've had my LG LG 52SZ8R 132cm RPTV for over 12 months now. I thought it might be time to re-calibrate as the lamp has surely lost some brightness by now, so I grabbed my copy of DVE and discovered that re-calibrating was not required. The PQ appears to be as good as when I bought it.

The TV is used about 4-5 hours a day and fortunately I've only had one issue with it. Sometimes the response to the remote is sluggish. Push the button on the remote and then about two seconds later the TV responds. I have noticed this 4 or 5 times in the last year but it only does it for a minute or two then its back to normal. Rainbow effect was apparent when I first got the TV but I hardly notice it now. No-one else has ever mentioned the rainbow effect.

Works well as a HTPC monitor (great for gaming)
Picture is great even with all curtains drawn on a sunny day.
No distracting reflections off the screen

DISLIKES:
Choosing inputs (AV1/Component?HDMI etc) is very slow and clumsy.
Picture off in-built analogue tuner is atrocious (NEVER used)
Blacks could be blacker

Overall, I'm still very pleased with the display and would recommend DLP technology to all. Although it's early days yet, reliability seems good. I still think the 5 year warranty I took out at the time of purchase was a good idea.

Hi mate,
FYI - intermittant remote operation is a known problem on the 52SZ8R - requires a firmware update to rectify this problem. Some people have intermittant problems, others the remote ceases to operate the tv, even though the set & the remote are operating correctly. If the problem is frustrating or gets worse, organise for a reputable LG service centre near you to carry out this work as required for you.
Hope it helps.

#67 xr06t

xr06t

DTV Forums Member

• 465 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

thanks for the info!

having recently picked up my x360, i was wondering if any other users would mind posting up their picture settings for the x360 over component.
i thought it looked ok, but when compared to the picture on a sony rptv, the contrast and colours are just not as clear.

cheers

#68 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

DTV Forums Member

• 435 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

Hi mate,
FYI - intermittant remote operation is a known problem on the 52SZ8R - requires a firmware update to rectify this problem. Some people have intermittant problems, others the remote ceases to operate the tv, even though the set & the remote are operating correctly. If the problem is frustrating or gets worse, organise for a reputable LG service centre near you to carry out this work as required for you.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for the info. Can this firmware upgrade be carried out at home or will the unit have to be picked up? I'm thinking of making a warranty claim re this remote control issue as I have a 5 year warranty on the TV. I've got a PC two metres from the TV - could I do it myself via the serial port?

#69 lgservicetech77

lgservicetech77

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for the info. Can this firmware upgrade be carried out at home or will the unit have to be picked up? I'm thinking of making a warranty claim re this remote control issue as I have a 5 year warranty on the TV. I've got a PC two metres from the TV - could I do it myself via the serial port?

Depending on the individual service provider, yes & no. Yes if they choose to otherwise no... As for doing the firmware upgrade yourself, definitely no. You will not access the tv with a Pc without the relevent software & if you did get it, you can do more damage than good if you get it wrong. I suggest make your warranty claim.
hope it helps...

#70 extwarrant

extwarrant

DTV Forums Member

• 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

was reading in another thread about holding the menu button on the tv and remote at the same time brings up another menu which allows you to adjust gamma etc..

Does this 'trick' access the service menu on the 52SZ8R?
thanks.

#71 TonkMasta

TonkMasta

DTV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

Here you go, sure these guys are happy for a bit more business DRTV Service
Cnr Herries & Dent Streets Toowoomba QLD 4350
ph: (07) 4632 1044

Just thought I'd take the trouble to post here, found the solution via Google... read all the helpful posts here and contacted DRTV Service, they were very helpful and about $90 cheaper than ordering from LG Australia, highly recommend them!
Lamp arrived promptly, found with the old "hold OK and Mute" buttons that I'd done over 5000 hours on the lamp... reset the hours and had no difficulty installing the lamp... working like a new one.... :D phew, wasn't looking forward to what to do if it hadn't worked! Loving the LG and as a bonus now am moderately more informed about what DLP technology actually is!
Thanks to all the forum members who have contributed...

#72 firthy69

firthy69

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

my god man! thats a good effort..

do you have any of the problems listed in this thread? especially the brighter lhs of the screen?

cheers

Nah, it just seems to be a bit darker overall and taking a fair while to warm up first thing in the morning. I might contact that QLD place and check out bulb prices...

#73 firthy69

firthy69

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

Also remember the set must be turned off with the remote and i generally advise people to not us the set unless they are prepared to leave it on for at least an hour. A majority of customers who follow this regrime usually see 7000+ hours on their lamps .

Mine has only probably been powered off fully about 2 times since Ive had it (7900+ hours). I only use the remote to switch it off. Most times also, it is on a hell of a lot longer than an hour as well (Im averaging 9-10hrs day) at about 2-3 hour stints, so Ill sorta agree with that...But globes can be funny things...

#74 xr06t

xr06t

DTV Forums Member

• 465 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

Does this 'trick' access the service menu on the 52SZ8R?
thanks.

i think so. there are alot of option in there, and none that i was willing to play around with!

not sure if that is the correct button sequence, but i have seen it!

#75 Eadern

Eadern

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to all forum members who had contributed to this site. This is my first time writing, so a big hello to all here.

I too own an LG 52SZ8R DLP TV and have not had any problems with it.. short of the lag time when you switch between component and Normal TV channels. It also takes for ever to cyle through the RGB and HDMI "channels". Other than that, I reckon it beats the Plasmas hands down for price vs size argument, not forgetting the power running cost of the product.

Anyway... I bought the set nearly 2 years ago and was surpsied to find the "Lamp is nearly ready to cark it" message appear on the screen. I rang LG and they gave me a number for their agent. I rang them and they told me that the lamps were $250.00 and that it was easy to install. However when I asked them about the message on the screen they said that the message would continue to appear even if I change the lamp and a techno would need to come out and "reset the timer". I thought ok.. how much is this gonna cost... and it was.. $65.00 call out fee PLUS wait for it... min $110.00 for labour. HOW RIDICULOUS is that. $175.00 to change a lamp.. plus $250.00 for the lamp... thats $425.00 every 2 years.. seems rather excessive to me. I wont have minded it if it were like say 50.00 to 60.00 for the service.

So thank you to forum for the heads up on the OK + MUTE thing. I WAS SOOOOOOO surprised to find that I had done over 7900 on the lamp hours .. Geez.. didnt think there were that much TV hours to watch in under 2 years.

I also found another supplier on ebay and was told that there are 3 different lamp types.. i.e. a round lamp and two types of square lamps, one with cut outs and the other without. They are OSRAM lamps

So my question is (Sorry for the long intro)

1. Without taking the cover off my TV for now.. what kinda lamp does this TV take?

2. Would you recommend the OSRAM lamps as oppose to the genuine article. (What is the genuine article anyway?)

3. Anyway of managing the slow change from channels to component / RGB / HDMI?

Anyone has a suggestion where lamps could be cheaper than $200.00?

Thanks again all for a wonderful forum.