• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#26 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:51 AM

Can you give a link, so I can go investigate? Also, what is the type of bulb, make/part number?

For those of you who may be interested:

Lamp is a Philips UHP 100/120W, part no 6912B22007B and it is available from

LG Spare Parts Distribution
Ph: 1800 005 220
Fx: 1800 620 603
lgspares@statewideapp.com.au
http://www.statewideapp.com.au

Cost: $ 269.00 + freight
ETA: 2-3 Days

If you want to try your luck overseas on e-Bay & etc, LG, Philips & Zenith all use the same part number above.

Philips, who designed and manufacture the lamp, claim lamp life is 8000 hours.

#27 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:37 PM

If you want to try your luck overseas on e-Bay & etc, LG, Philips & Zenith all use the same part number above.

thanks for the link, but the order form on their website wouldn't load for me.
anyone else with this problem?

#28 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:50 PM

thanks for the link, but the order form on their website wouldn't load for me.
anyone else with this problem?

I didn't use the order form. I e-mailed them.

#29 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:05 AM

Thanks Alfred.

#30 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

okay guys,
i've had some good service from lg!!!
today the wa service guys came out, pulled it completely to bits and put it back together..
the problem was still there so he put a new globe in..... for free!!!
was quite impressed as i've had the tv for 7 months (not 4 like i said before) which puts it out of warranty for a globe.
i was impressed!
i still think that something else has caused this problem though..
my stb seems v receptive to power surges and the tv is constantly fickering when lights are turned on around the house etc. does anyone else think that this may be having an effect on the globe??

on a side note, can someone give me some guidelines on how to get the best picture? i find that blacks have a red tinge, and to get rid of it i have to turn the brightness down to an unacceptable level, making the picture worse!!
anyone keen to share their setup :blink:

#31 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:57 PM

okay guys,
i've had some good service from lg!!!
today the wa service guys came out, pulled it completely to bits and put it back together..
the problem was still there so he put a new globe in..... for free!!!
was quite impressed as i've had the tv for 7 months (not 4 like i said before) which puts it out of warranty for a globe.
i was impressed!
i still think that something else has caused this problem though..
my stb seems v receptive to power surges and the tv is constantly fickering when lights are turned on around the house etc. does anyone else think that this may be having an effect on the globe??

on a side note, can someone give me some guidelines on how to get the best picture? i find that blacks have a red tinge, and to get rid of it i have to turn the brightness down to an unacceptable level, making the picture worse!!
anyone keen to share their setup :blink:

Digital TV reception is highly susceptible to the interference you are experiencing. I had similar problems with picture breakup and pixellation until I got a new antennae and RG6 coax throughout. I am sure that has no effect on the lamp. The lamp just runs flat out in these TVs and the DLP mirrors control the actual picture. The lamp output is the same whether the screen is all black or all white. Some DLP TVs allow you to adjust lamp output in two steps but not this one.

My setup was calibrated through the DVI/HDMI input with the DVE disc and an Oppo player:

CONTRAST: 100
BRIGHTNESS: 45
COLOUR: 45
SHARPNESS: 40
XD: Off
PSM: User
CSM R: 0
CSM G: -3
CSM B: 0

#32 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:19 PM

Digital TV reception is highly susceptible to the interference you are experiencing. I had similar problems with picture breakup and pixellation until I got a new antennae and RG6 coax throughout. I am sure that has no effect on the lamp. The lamp just runs flat out in these TVs and the DLP mirrors control the actual picture. The lamp output is the same whether the screen is all black or all white. Some DLP TVs allow you to adjust lamp output in two steps but not this one.

My setup was calibrated through the DVI/HDMI input with the DVE disc and an Oppo player:

CONTRAST: 100
BRIGHTNESS: 45
COLOUR: 45
SHARPNESS: 40
XD: Off
PSM: User
CSM R: 0
CSM G: -3
CSM B: 0

thanks for sharing that setup!
seems better than my old setup even through component..
cheers again

#33 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

hi again guys..
was reading in another thread about holding the menu button on the tv and remote at the same time brings up another menu which allows you to adjust gamma etc..

there is way too many options and i cant find the gamma settings..
has anyone adjusted any of these for anything??

thanks again..

#34 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:53 AM

hi again guys..
was reading in another thread about holding the menu button on the tv and remote at the same time brings up another menu which allows you to adjust gamma etc..

thanks again..

Thats the service menu by the sound of it. Word of advice, dont adjust a thing in there unless you write down the default values first! Very important as you could wreck your set if you dont have a record of those settings.

Now we know how to get in the service menu, all we need is a service manual to decipher the settings.

#35 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:33 AM

hi again guys..

thanks again..

Do you mind me asking why you wish to "adjust" the display gamma?

#36 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:29 AM

i read in another thread that it may help with getting rid of the red tinge that dark scenes have..

i also am having trouble because my blacks are pretty grey when i turn the brightness up to an acceptable level..
the red blur gets much worse if i turn the brightness down enough to make the blacks look good..

if im completely on the wrong path let me know :blink:

i tried the settings you posted and it works well in some instances but really lacks in others..

also when trying to use my stb via rgb the picture was set off centre too much to adjust with the normal menu. is there any way i can change this?

i think the other thread that i read was to do with a lcd rear pro so they probably dont apply here hey.

thanks for all your help on the topic btw alfred!! much appreciated

also what is the upgrade port on the back for?? are there firmware upgrades available for this unit or am i on the wrong track :D

#37 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:43 PM

i read in another thread that it may help with getting rid of the red tinge that dark scenes have..

i also am having trouble because my blacks are pretty grey when i turn the brightness up to an acceptable level..
the red blur gets much worse if i turn the brightness down enough to make the blacks look good..

if im completely on the wrong path let me know :blink:

i tried the settings you posted and it works well in some instances but really lacks in others..

also when trying to use my stb via rgb the picture was set off centre too much to adjust with the normal menu. is there any way i can change this?

i think the other thread that i read was to do with a lcd rear pro so they probably dont apply here hey.

thanks for all your help on the topic btw alfred!! much appreciated

also what is the upgrade port on the back for?? are there firmware upgrades available for this unit or am i on the wrong track :D

Some tips (ignore the one's you may have already tried):

You will never get a good picture using the analogue tuner that is built in. Just pretend it hasn't got a tuner. PQ=3/10

Picture quality off Foxtel via component is lousy except for the movie channels where the quality is just acceptable. PQ movie channels 7/10 - other channels 4/10

Picture quality off a FTA digital STB via component is really good. PQ=9/10

DVD PQ AFAIK = 10/10

You must get a calibration DVD like the DVE one and use it. I cannot emphasize how important calibration is for setting the display's black level (brightness). Setting up using the calibration DVD also eliminated a slight green shift

The display is not at its best in a completely dark room. Blacks look dark grey and the rainbow effect becomes apparent. The display looks better during the day than at night in a dark room.

I find using a backlight behind the TV (20W 6000K BC fluorescent) in an otherwise darkened room makes a HUGE difference.

#38 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:51 PM

thanks for the tips.. i dont use the analogue tuner as i have found it is no good too..

where would i find one of these DVE calibration dvd thingos?

i have been lucky as i havent seen the rainbow effect yet!

probably not for this thread but my dvd player is 576p and im using it via svideo.. obviously i should try to use the 2nd component in for this as the player doesn't have hdmi or rgb.. but movies (eg castaway) are average at best.. the blacks were really average and ive watched better bali movies at relatives houses..

does anyone know about the upgrade port or wether there is anything i can do to move the picture across for the rgb input frim the stb?? when using this the picture looks better, albeit over to oneside..

thanks again alfred, v helpful mate

#39 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:16 AM

thanks for the tips.. i dont use the analogue tuner as i have found it is no good too..

where would i find one of these DVE calibration dvd thingos?

i have been lucky as i havent seen the rainbow effect yet!

probably not for this thread but my dvd player is 576p and im using it via svideo.. obviously i should try to use the 2nd component in for this as the player doesn't have hdmi or rgb.. but movies (eg castaway) are average at best.. the blacks were really average and ive watched better bali movies at relatives houses..

does anyone know about the upgrade port or wether there is anything i can do to move the picture across for the rgb input frim the stb?? when using this the picture looks better, albeit over to oneside..

thanks again alfred, v helpful mate

Look for "Digital Video Essentials" PAL version. I bought mine from JB Hi-Fi for about $30. When I used the test disc on my system the display was centred perfectly with both component and DVI connections at 576i and 576p. It showed about 2.5% overscan. Upscaling to 720p caused the pic to move a little to one side but I was able to adjust that using the TV's controls.

The upgrade port is for connection to a PC for firmware upgrades. I think only techs would do this as LG aren't very forthcoming about any info on their range of TVs. My owner's manual doesn't even describe how to change the lamp.

I really think that using your DVD player via S-Video is the cause of most of your problems.

#40 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

new component cable this weekend then! thanks

#41 timbo2c

timbo2c

AV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:32 PM

well it was good while it lasted most of that was disney channel anyway.

would be intresting to see if anyone has got over the 4000 hour mark!

[font=Arial]

I've own a 142cm lg dlp, 52sz8r-tb. Had it for about 2yrs, had no big probs only like others have said about it being sluggish to go through the hdmi and rgb channels with the remote, but no biggy. Just yesterday a message came up saying "lamp life over", and the lamp light flashing yellow. The picture is still good and operates fine. It all goes away in about 30secs. I done the hold down ok and mute at the same time and to my amazement it had clocked up 7911 hours!!!!!!!!!! Pretty damn good. So now im on the lookout for a new globe.
found 1 for $297.85 at http://spares.bigwar...ducts_id=705260

If anybody knows of a cheaper place i'd love to know, thanks

#42 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

[font=Arial]

I've own a 142cm lg dlp, 52sz8r-tb. Had it for about 2yrs, had no big probs only like others have said about it being sluggish to go through the hdmi and rgb channels with the remote, but no biggy. Just yesterday a message came up saying "lamp life over", and the lamp light flashing yellow. The picture is still good and operates fine. It all goes away in about 30secs. I done the hold down ok and mute at the same time and to my amazement it had clocked up 7911 hours!!!!!!!!!! Pretty damn good. So now im on the lookout for a new globe.
found 1 for $297.85 at http://spares.bigwar...ducts_id=705260

If anybody knows of a cheaper place i'd love to know, thanks

Hey that's great news. Looks like the 8000 hours that both LG and Philips claim is attainable. I bought two spare lamps from some some bloke in the USA on eBay. They cost me $AU299 for two including freight and got here in about three days. The part number you require is 6912B22007B. If you are interested here is the eBay link for his current listing: Philips Bulb on eBay. But they are more expensive now at $AU151.38 plus freight. I'm sure he told me last time that the freight for one lamp was the same as two.

#43 timbo2c

timbo2c

AV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

Hey that's great news. Looks like the 8000 hours that both LG and Philips claim is attainable. I bought two spare lamps from some some bloke in the USA on eBay. They cost me $AU299 for two including freight and got here in about three days. The part number you require is 6912B22007B. If you are interested here is the eBay link for his current listing: Philips Bulb on eBay. But they are more expensive now at $AU151.38 plus freight. I'm sure he told me last time that the freight for one lamp was the same as two.

I phoned a local technician about changing the lamp, and he said that it needed to be done by a pro because they need to set the voltages and adjust the filters. Is this correct? because he quoted me between $500 and $600 supplied and fitted. I can get the lamp for $170 odd which sounds much better than $600. Any info would be great.

#44 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

I phoned a local technician about changing the lamp, and he said that it needed to be done by a pro because they need to set the voltages and adjust the filters. Is this correct? because he quoted me between $500 and $600 supplied and fitted. I can get the lamp for $170 odd which sounds much better than $600. Any info would be great.

DLP filters are on a rotating wheel. I cannot see what they would be adjusting if it is working perfectly now. They may check the lamp ballast voltage but as you got nearly 8000 hours from your last lamp that would suggest that everything is fine.

The lamp that the technician is selling you may be the complete housing that is usually offered as a replacement lamp. The actual lamp sits inside a metal and plastic housing. These allow a lamp change in two minutes. Just remove the two screws on the lamp cover on the side of the TV. Remove two more screws on the lamp housing. Slide the housing out. Slide replacement in and attach screws. Replace the cover, put two screws in and you're done.

Replacing just the lamp, which is obviously the cheapest option, requires dismantling the lamp housing. I did this as a test to see how difficult it was and it took me about 20 minutes to get the lamp out of the housing and put it back together. Next time I'm confident I could do a complete lamp change in under 10 minutes. I really cannot see the justification in charging $500 :blink:

#45 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:32 PM

could other owners who have posted also post up their colour etc settings when using component input, pretty please? :blink:

#46 bu11dog

bu11dog

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

I'm 18 months in with this set, just about to go and pick up the 2nd replacement globe - 6mths per globe doesn't seem good - even if the telly was on 12hrs a day it would be just over 2000hrs per globe.

Have called LG and they suggested the engine may have a fault that causes this, anyone else experience such short globe life?

Other than that, very happy with the set and I will post my settings as soon as I get the thing up and running again (hoping it's just the globe).

#47 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

replacing the globe has cured my problem of the tv only turning on for 10mins at a time max, and it was less than 2000hrs old. i dont think the problem (tv turning itself off) is directly linked to the globe, but it has stopped it..

not sure how long the current globe has been in but the lg repair guy had no problem changing it for free out of the warranty period for globes..

as posted in my other thread i have a problem with half the screen not being black, but im not sure if that has anything ot do witht the globe.

may i ask what is your tv doing to indicate that it needs a new globe?

#48 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:49 AM

My lamp life indicator thingy says 4400 hours. Unit purchased on 16/7/05 so its nearly 18 months old. Judging from current usage pattern, if I get another 12 months from the original lamp I'll be happy. Coz we've got heaps of spare lamps (cheap off eBay), we're using the TV a lot more, the HTPC is getting a flogging and we got a Wii a few weeks ago that's hooked up to the LG as well.

#49 Thomas T

Thomas T

AV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:55 AM

My lamp life indicator thingy says 4400 hours. Unit purchased on 16/7/05 so its nearly 18 months old. Judging from current usage pattern, if I get another 12 months from the original lamp I'll be happy. Coz we've got heaps of spare lamps (cheap off eBay), we're using the TV a lot more, the HTPC is getting a flogging and we got a Wii a few weeks ago that's hooked up to the LG as well.

Hi Alfred,

I own an LG RT-52SZ8TBRQ model Television.
Worked for 18 months and now I have a lamp life indicator message.
I also have not been able to check the lamp life inidactor using the OK and Mute instructions... hmm...

That aside, would you be willing to sell some of your excess supply of lamps to me?
I think I'll try and avoid the technicians.. seems like they don't know much more than us.
only concern obviously is that the "reset" feature that the techo's have or the calibration
and alignment that might be required as well?

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas

#50 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

Hi Alfred,

I own an LG RT-52SZ8TBRQ model Television.
Worked for 18 months and now I have a lamp life indicator message.
I also have not been able to check the lamp life inidactor using the OK and Mute instructions... hmm...

That aside, would you be willing to sell some of your excess supply of lamps to me?
I think I'll try and avoid the technicians.. seems like they don't know much more than us.
only concern obviously is that the "reset" feature that the techo's have or the calibration
and alignment that might be required as well?

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas

You need to press "OK" on the TV front panel and "Mute" on the remote at the same time for about 5-10 seconds for the lamp life indicator/reset to come up.
I now have 3 lamps but I only paid $149ea for them so I think I'll hang on to them. If I was you, I'd try eBay (use search in description and worldwide) for replacements. I got mine in 3 days from the USA.

LAMP PART NO: 6912B22007B
120W UHP lamp

Lamp suits the following TVs:
LG 52SZ8R
LG 52SX4D
LG 62SX4D
Zenith Z44SZ80
Zenith Z52SZ80

Good luck