• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#1 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:24 PM

Well I've had my LG LG 52SZ8R 132cm RPTV for over 12 months now. I thought it might be time to re-calibrate as the lamp has surely lost some brightness by now, so I grabbed my copy of DVE and discovered that re-calibrating was not required. The PQ appears to be as good as when I bought it.

The TV is used about 4-5 hours a day and fortunately I've only had one issue with it. Sometimes the response to the remote is sluggish. Push the button on the remote and then about two seconds later the TV responds. I have noticed this 4 or 5 times in the last year but it only does it for a minute or two then its back to normal. Rainbow effect was apparent when I first got the TV but I hardly notice it now. No-one else has ever mentioned the rainbow effect.

Works well as a HTPC monitor (great for gaming)
Picture is great even with all curtains drawn on a sunny day.
No distracting reflections off the screen

DISLIKES:
Choosing inputs (AV1/Component?HDMI etc) is very slow and clumsy.
Picture off in-built analogue tuner is atrocious (NEVER used)
Blacks could be blacker

Overall, I'm still very pleased with the display and would recommend DLP technology to all. Although it's early days yet, reliability seems good. I still think the 5 year warranty I took out at the time of purchase was a good idea.

#2 Dork(original)

Dork(original)

AV Forum Member

• 3,678 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

Alfred,we have this model also.And we only have had one problem when some dust got onto the lens.The tech came and cleaned it in 5 mins.So far we are rapt with it and reckon it was money well spent.Paul

#3 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:12 AM

I've had one of these for a year now as well. Who needs plasma? This thing in true 720P craps all over Plasma!
Q: Where do you get replacement globes, and how much? Anyone know?

#4 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:23 AM

*bump*

Anyone?

#5 dunnas

dunnas

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:26 PM

I'll bump too. Had one of these for 14 months now and it must have averaged about 8 hours use a day. Only problems i've had so far was it not wanting to turn on with the remote and freezing when changing to HDMI. It did both a few times in a few week period a few months back (is that enough fews?) but hasn't missed a beat since. It actually turned out that the HDMI lead wasn't plugged in 100% properly at the time though because the picture started going funny occasionally and after starting to worry I thought to check it out. Since all the problems stopped i'd say it all just somehow centred around this.

#6 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:37 AM

I've had one of these for a year now as well. Who needs plasma? This thing in true 720P craps all over Plasma!
Q: Where do you get replacement globes, and how much? Anyone know?

I bought a spare lamp on e-Bay a few months back for $250. I only bought it because it was so cheap. The woman who had them still lists them every now and then. The on-line sites that offer the projector lamps are asking $600+.

I would be very interested in the actual lamp life of these things. I've read that although LG quote 6000 hours, life is more like 4000. At 5 hours a day (typical usage here), that would work out to 2.2 years. Nowhere near as good as 3.3 years!

#7 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:58 AM

I bought a spare lamp on e-Bay a few months back for $250. I only bought it because it was so cheap. The woman who had them still lists them every now and then. The on-line sites that offer the projector lamps are asking $600+.

I would be very interested in the actual lamp life of these things. I've read that although LG quote 6000 hours, life is more like 4000. At 5 hours a day (typical usage here), that would work out to 2.2 years. Nowhere near as good as 3.3 years!

I've done 1600 hours, if you hold the mute button on the remote for about 5 secs then push the menu button on the tv at the same time, a menu will come up showing you exactly how many hours the screen has operated. Be careful as you can wipe the figure, going back to 0, but you still have a total at the bottom.

Can you give a link, so I can go investigate? Also, what is the type of bulb, make/part number?

Thanks.

Edit: see below.

Edited by M.L.F. AKA Mike R., 26 September 2006 - 07:20 AM.

#8 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:12 AM

I've done 1600 hours, if you hold the mute button on the remote for about 5 secs then push the menu button on the tv at the same time, a menu will come up showing you exactly how many hours the screen has operated. Be careful as you can wipe the figure, going back to 0, but you still have a total at the bottom.

Can you give a link, so I can go investigate? Also, what is the type of bulb, make/part number?

Thanks.

Your procedure doesn't appear to work with my TV. Have you missed something?

Search e-Bay under electronics for LG DLP lamp and make sure the TV model no is correct.

#9 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:18 AM

Your procedure doesn't appear to work with my TV. Have you missed something?

Search e-Bay under electronics for LG DLP lamp and make sure the TV model no is correct.

Sorry my stuff up.

From last page of manual:

1. Press the OK or enter button on the front panel and MUTE button on the remote control simultaneously ( about 5 seconds).

#10 ktskeats

ktskeats

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:32 AM

i was never going to buy this model due to lg rptv dlp history but because of the price,size,picture quality i had to but i did get the 5 year wty and i cant say there has been a day i regreted it the only problem i have had is the same as all switching between the inputs
so i got an component switch box with a remote works perfect every time and get just as good a picture as hdmi.

globe wars! im upto 2748
can anyone raise me?

#11 dunnas

dunnas

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:31 AM

i was never going to buy this model due to lg rptv dlp history but because of the price,size,picture quality i had to but i did get the 5 year wty and i cant say there has been a day i regreted it the only problem i have had is the same as all switching between the inputs
so i got an component switch box with a remote works perfect every time and get just as good a picture as hdmi.

globe wars! im upto 2748
can anyone raise me?

Globe wars? :blink:

Are you suggesting that I have a built in game on my TV and I have never realised? :D

#12 Brenden

Brenden

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:44 PM

globe wars! im upto 2748
can anyone raise me?

I checked mine tonight and its done 2806,consider yourself raised.

#13 ktskeats

ktskeats

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:03 PM

well it was good while it lasted most of that was disney channel anyway.

would be intresting to see if anyone has got over the 4000 hour mark!

#14 Bryan01

Bryan01

AV Forum Member

• 32 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:34 AM

Well I've had my LG LG 52SZ8R 132cm RPTV for over 12 months now. I thought it might be time to re-calibrate as the lamp has surely lost some brightness by now, so I grabbed my copy of DVE and discovered that re-calibrating was not required. The PQ appears to be as good as when I bought it.

The TV is used about 4-5 hours a day and fortunately I've only had one issue with it. Sometimes the response to the remote is sluggish. Push the button on the remote and then about two seconds later the TV responds. I have noticed this 4 or 5 times in the last year but it only does it for a minute or two then its back to normal. Rainbow effect was apparent when I first got the TV but I hardly notice it now. No-one else has ever mentioned the rainbow effect.

Works well as a HTPC monitor (great for gaming)
Picture is great even with all curtains drawn on a sunny day.
No distracting reflections off the screen

DISLIKES:
Choosing inputs (AV1/Component?HDMI etc) is very slow and clumsy.
Picture off in-built analogue tuner is atrocious (NEVER used)
Blacks could be blacker

Overall, I'm still very pleased with the display and would recommend DLP technology to all. Although it's early days yet, reliability seems good. I still think the 5 year warranty I took out at the time of purchase was a good idea.

mmmmmmmmmm

#15 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:17 PM

mmmmmmmmmm

Perhaps you could elaborate.

#16 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:54 AM

Perhaps you could elaborate.

Maybe 'Homer Simpson' like. "mmmmmmmmm, rich creamery butter!"

#17 sparkz181

sparkz181

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

I have the LG DLP 52SZ8R since July 2005 and I was watching the TV a week ago and then it went bang then nothing. I could get was turn the TV on and the green led light would just keep flashing. Then I would hear an intermittent hissing sound.

BEWARE: I took out the 4 year extended warranty also as was told by the salesman that the globes were covered. WRONG. But when I contacted the company they told me that the globes were not covered. The policy had been changed 2 months prior to my purchase in end of July 2005. No help from the major company I purchased the TV from, but guess what today they still didn't know about the change in the extended warranty info about the lamp not being covered……Who would’ve guessed. They did find a price for a replacement lamp for $250 after looking on the net and Ebay that’s a damn good price, so I ordered one. I picked up the lamp 3 days later…..very good service as direct from LG to Frankston Vic...

Got home and fitted the new lamp and still nothing on the screen except black, and that damn flashing green led. Not happy Jan…#%@$$@&

Is there anything else that I can try before calling in the techs’

Sparkz181

About the globe hours for the LG DLP 52SZ8R, I found that the LG info in Australia when I purchased the TV was 4000 hrs and still is but when I was looking for info about globes I found that the TV in Canada has an 8000 hrs rating …….. yes amazing twice that of OZ.

#18 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:05 PM

Where did you get the globe?

#19 sparkz181

sparkz181

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:16 PM

Where did you get the globe?

Bought the TV and got the replacement globe from "The Good Guys" in Frankston. Vic

#20 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:29 AM

Bought the TV and got the replacement globe from "The Good Guys" in Frankston. Vic

Thanks.

If your set is still no-go after the globe replacement, there is obviously still something else wrong with the set. You have an extended warranty, exercise that warranty and get your set seen to. Ring up good guys, and seeing they have sold you the set on behalf of the manufacturer, and sold you a extended warranty on behalf of the finance group who provide that extension, get them to either recieve the TV at their store for repairs, or they get repairs organised for you.
They either fix or replace your set of an equivalent model, or your money back.

Go get'em tiger...Grruff.

#21 sparkz181

sparkz181

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:51 AM

Thanks.

If your set is still no-go after the globe replacement, there is obviously still something else wrong with the set. You have an extended warranty, exercise that warranty and get your set seen to. Ring up good guys, and seeing they have sold you the set on behalf of the manufacturer, and sold you a extended warranty on behalf of the finance group who provide that extension, get them to either recieve the TV at their store for repairs, or they get repairs organised for you.
They either fix or replace your set of an equivalent model, or your money back.

Go get'em tiger...Grruff.

Thanks for your help and support, I will be chasing it. It is as I suspected.

Thanks

Sparkz

#22 Mike Kakay

Mike Kakay

DTV Forums Member

• 2,828 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for your help and support, I will be chasing it. It is as I suspected.

Thanks

Sparkz

Come back and drop us a line, when all's said and done. Am always interested in the outcomes of consumer V's retailer sagas.
You never know, you may end up with a later generation set, with less probs.

Quite certain your apples as you have VCAT to fall back on, for a nominal fee of $38.50 they will certainly always back the consumer even with it just being over the reg 12 month period of warranty.

Your Implied Rights. (In relation to VCAT rulings @retail/ manufacturer warranty.)

Simple argument:

Did manufacturer set out to make a TV set to last for only a 12 month period- if yes, then the retail price should have been set in accordance to the duration of product useability and reflect the short term nature of the investment ie: set should have been on sale for realistically around $250 mark (given that at time of purchase the set would have been at a retail of the $2,500 mark, and the consumer typically buys a TV set with expectation of it lasting an acceptable level of time ie: 10yrs), as that would be a generally accepted price based on expected life of the goods. So the answer would of course be no (to 12 month expected life), so the consumer comes out everytime with a ruling to their benefit of a fixed or replaced equivelant product. Because 'just out of warranty period' is always treated as unacceptable to consumer rights, and business is always deemed to bring an acceptable level of product/workmanship to the marketplace that is in the realms of fair and reasonable for a product/service within that industrys norm.

This of course can be applied to a wide range of consumer products and/or services. Its your implied right!

Thank you and happy shopping, Agent Mike. ©2006.

#23 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:17 PM

hi guys, 1st post..
i have the lg132cm dlp also and am really happy with it., until the other day, when the lamp indicator light flashed red and the lamp went out.
turn the tv back on and it work for 5 to 15 mins and turns itself off!!
the picture quality is totally fine for the timne that the telly is on but the lamp just flicks out and it makes the clunky noise that they make when you turn them on..

rang lg and they say i need a new lamp. i dont believe them because the lamp indicator is not orange, its flashing red!

tv is only 4 months old.

any ideas? i pulled the lamp out and had a look, nothing visibly hanging off!!
put it back in and all back together and same problem is still there..

hope someone can help me with this problem, cheers

#24 xr06t

xr06t

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:34 PM

globe wars! im upto 2748
can anyone raise me?

1408 here...

#25 Alfred Smee

Alfred Smee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:54 AM

From last page of manual:

1. Press the OK or enter button on the front panel and MUTE button on the remote control simultaneously ( about 5 seconds).

My manual doesn't have this information. Perhaps its because my TV is one of the first ones sold (16/7/05) . So I tried the lamp check thingy as you described and horror .... shock ..... 3446 hours! It looks like I under-estimated my usage a fair bit.