• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#201 GregA

GregA

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

As PG said, the TiVo suits this role fine, but it has its own problems - Internet connection required for set up, v.small HDD. I think a Toppy 7050 will have a few months' subscription to Ice TV which will also do series recordings, named shows / details, etc. There are numerous ways to skin a cat, though and scouting the TV listings and setting weekly timers will also work - certainly well enough for kids' programmes.

It still really comes down to nothing beating $200 for a Toppy5000 though....

#202 billyb67

billyb67

AV Forum Member

• 41 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

It still really comes down to nothing beating $200 for a Toppy5000 though....

I have had a 5000 for a few years now and it is great

and I just picked up a 5000 masterpiece for $112 and a 5000 with an upgraded 400GB harddrive for $120

I couldn't be happier !

still deciding whether to get a 7000 or not, seems to be too many firmware issues to bother....

#203 JaffaMan

JaffaMan

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

I have had a 5000 for a few years now and it is great

and I just picked up a 5000 masterpiece for $112 and a 5000 with an upgraded 400GB harddrive for $120

I couldn't be happier !

still deciding whether to get a 7000 or not, seems to be too many firmware issues to bother....

The 7000 is not really available anymore, but the 7100 is. You will actually find that the firmware is now pretty solid, but with two 5000's I would recommend waiting to see how the new Topfield 2400 machine turns out if you want a HD model.

#204 kermit

kermit

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

Topfield community forums
Official Australian Topfield Forums

Is now dead. The following just arrived in my inbox; so where are old Toppy owners going to hangout now. At least Google's cache will come to the rescue for all the valuable information the forum contained.

Dear Forum User,
It gives me great regret to inform you that the topfield.com.au user forums and website with be closing as of today. The forum was first opened 8 or so years ago with many of the original members still very active today, I would like to especially thank those people and everyone that supported and contributed over the years...

Thanks again, and I hope to see you at other Digital Products Group forums in the future.

Toppy HQ.

#205 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,718 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

Is now dead. The following just arrived in my inbox; so where are old Toppy owners going to hangout now. At least Google's cache will come to the rescue for all the valuable information the forum contained.

Wonder if the AQA is googleable? Don't think there's a backup version.

Have to say pretty poor form by DPG. Summarily turn the site off and then send out notice its happening?

Would have been nice just to give the members (they thank) a chance to say bye to each other and perhaps copy a few of the stickies.

A pretty thoughtless ending to a great little support community.

Peter Gillespie

#206 kermit

kermit

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

Wonder if the AQA is googleable? Don't think there's a backup version.

Found it Peter. Topfield All Questions Answered (AQA) Google cache is here.

#207 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,718 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

Found it Peter. Topfield All Questions Answered (AQA) Google cache is here.

Thanks K :) Although its a pity all the links and posting info (bold, color etc.) are now embedded. I wonder if google cache its cache? They searches on links to pages so now the actual AQA is gone, will the cache version remain if people view that instead?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#208 salandpaul

salandpaul

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

Is there a forum that a lot of people from the old topfield forum are hanging out at?

Thanks, Paul.

#209 audiohobbs

audiohobbs

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

Is there a forum that a lot of people from the old topfield forum are hanging out at?

Thanks, Paul.

I seem to remember a recent post about Topfield UK users' forum having a dedicated 2400MP thread and people here were planning on defecting to meeting there :rolleyes: Have a search for a recent (last couple of days or so) thread about Topfield and include UK in the string; you'll probably find it.

Cheers,

Al.

#210 bjbaker

bjbaker

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:00 AM

Of course now that the forum is no longer available I need the Toppy 5000 PSU repair instructions. Has someone got an alternate location I can look at? Google didn't seem to help much.

#211 bjbaker

bjbaker

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

Google didn't seem to help much.

I gave it another go and came up with this Link and more. Maybe I was having a senior moment last time I tried.

#212 kermit

kermit

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

Thanks, Paul.

http://forum.toppy.o...wforum.php?f=21

#213 NJF

NJF

AV Forum Member

• 13 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:57 AM

It seems that the new Topfield Australia Forum is here:

http://www.itopfield.com.au/forum/

#214 blues95

blues95

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

My 5000 just died and I was thinking of getting a 5700. I know it hasn't got TAPs but I never used them anyway. Just a couple of questions: the toppy site says the 5700 has HDMI output but from the looks of it doesn't. Also can the 5700 download to a PC using altair the way the 5000 did?

#215 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,718 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

Visit http://www.i-topfield.com/ and search 5700.

The pic shows a HDMI port on the device.

Not sure on the Altair side. Would seem likely.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#216 blues95

blues95

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

Visit http://www.i-topfield.com/ and search 5700.

The pic shows a HDMI port on the device.

Not sure on the Altair side. Would seem likely.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks for the reply. You're right, the pic at the Korean site does show an HDMI port. However, the pic at http://www.itopfield.com.au/ doesn't. Makes me think the local one has had that feature removed.

#217 Bazzaa

Bazzaa

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for the reply. You're right, the pic at the Korean site does show an HDMI port. However, the pic at http://www.itopfield.com.au/ doesn't. Makes me think the local one has had that feature removed.

I never trust stock photos... If you read the actual feature list at iTopfield for the 5700 it says HDMI = Yes
http://www.itopfield...ail.asp?idx=113

Of possible note though, it also says TAP Support = - and I have heard elsewhere that the 5700 does not run TAPs.

I saw this link to a new 6000 on another site, perhaps that's a better alternative when replacing a dead 5000 series?
http://www.oo.com.au...P27396C1295.cfm

#218 21C

21C

AV Forum Member

• 31 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

I never trust stock photos... If you read the actual feature list at iTopfield for the 5700 it says HDMI = Yes
http://www.itopfield...ail.asp?idx=113

Of possible note though, it also says TAP Support = - and I have heard elsewhere that the 5700 does not run TAPs.

I saw this link to a new 6000 on another site, perhaps that's a better alternative when replacing a dead 5000 series?
http://www.oo.com.au...P27396C1295.cfm

I bought one of the 5700s from oo.com.au and I can confirm that it does not have HDMI and it does run TAPs.

I had read several sources that mentioned the lack of taps. Although disappointed, we desperately needed to replace our dying 5000. After running the 5700 for a couple of weeks, I decided to try installing a couple of taps and they all worked. I am successfully running Archive, UK Timers and UK Surfer on the 5700.

#219 prl

prl

AV Forum Member

• 2,633 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

[Spammed]

Reported.

#220 bjbaker

bjbaker

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

For someone who wants a Topfield 5000 Black Panther I have an offer.

It works. But I don't need it any more, and the only component of value to me is the HDD. The HDD has been replaced a couple of times and it is now a 160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10. The PSU capacitors have been replaced twice. The second time with Elna caps, and I have half a dozen of those spare for next time. The remote is fine, but the manual didn't come back from the second last person I loaned the Toppy to. There is a recycled 120mm PC case fan with an inline molex power connector between the PSU & HDD. The lead for that runs out the back of the case and the fan can be positioned wherever. It isn't silent, but can be readily removed.

Bring me a working 300GB (or better) IDE or SATA HDD, or a 250GB (or better) 2.5" USB drive, and you can have the Toppy & accoutrements.

If I don't hear from anyone by next weekend I'll harvest the HDD and bin the rest.

Pickup only. I'm in Tullamarine.

#221 AlfredE.Newman

AlfredE.Newman

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

A friend hearing of my quest to research/buy another PVR to replace the TRF 7160 has offered me a nearly unused 5000PVRT for nix until we get what we are looking for. My question is this, it only has SD capable tuners so will the FTA we can view on it be restricted to the few remaining SD stations  still broadcasting? I realise that this probably sounds like a pretty dumb question but before taking possession of it I thought it worth asking...

#222 DragonFly

DragonFly

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

Yes it will only display SD channels, which is the majority of channels anyway, all you miss out on is ABCNews24, GEM and Mate and ONE.

The 5000 can actually tune in and record the HD channels but not display them. You could copy the recorded shows off and manage on a PC but that is too much trouble especially with only USB to get it off, dog slow and the HD files are big. So it can be done but just not worth it.