which card has linux kernel inbuilt support

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spottyrover

spottyrover

DTV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:43 PM

Hi I am looking for a card which has linux kernell support for both analogue and digital parts built in so I do not need to patch etc.

my reception ( acording to a friends computer and usb dvico he uses windows) is
ch sbs 79-80% 19.5db this was the minimum level observed
ch 9 92% 22db this was the maximum
Is it difficult to use more than 1 card in linux software especially when it comes to choosing which card records what or do I need two remotes

what should I expect with the analogue or should I get a seperate card for this

thanks for any help
dave

#2 renura

renura

DTV Forums Member

• 6,002 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:52 PM

The DNTV Live! Pro has Linux support for all its functionality (Digital + Analogue + FM) as far as I know :blink:
http://www.itee.uq.e...Linux-DVB/DNTV/

#3 spottyrover

spottyrover

DTV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

is my signal strength ok
how does the analogue compare to analogue only cards
do you know if its difficult to use more han one card in the pc
what do you recomend

#4 renura

renura

DTV Forums Member

• 6,002 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:16 PM

is my signal strength ok
how does the analogue compare to analogue only cards
do you know if its difficult to use more han one card in the pc
what do you recomend

Your digital signal as measured by the DVICO card (which tend to exagerate) appear to be marginal, you will need to be prepared to improve your reception or you may have issues. Analogue TV resption on this card is as good as analogue only cards. It is not difficult to have more than one card in the same PC, but if you know nothing about Linux, be prepared to spend lots of time learning, or get a STB and be done with it :blink:

#5 spottyrover

spottyrover

DTV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:28 PM

thanks for the info
I was wondering if the signal was marginal or not ( I did not have a lot of time for testing on it)
-which cards would have the better receptions then
-should i stick to one brand or is using two brands better when it come to using remotes and programing records
thanks
dave

#6 kerryh

kerryh

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:54 PM

I use two DNTV Live! LP cards and a DVico usb (like your friend had) under linux. The kernel support is there for both devices.

I can use all three devices (plus my analogue card) concurrently in linux, using MythTV. However it will depend on what application you want to use as to if you will be able to do this.

MythTV will do your recording and viewing with as many devices as you can throw at it, but there are other linux apps which can also do similar things. It really depends on what you want to do and which app you are happy with.
Some apps may not support multiple cards, some will.

You can configure both remotes if you really want to, but you would be better off configuring just one to control which ever application you decide you want to use.

I can't answer you question about which cards have better reception in marginal conditions, only add that the more cards you have, the better the signal you need.

#7 renura

renura

DTV Forums Member

• 6,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:35 PM

-which cards would have the better receptions then

If you wanted Digital Only cards, there are a few choices (eg Kworld V-Stream DVB-t, Nebula DigiTV, DNTV Live! DVB-T, TechinSat Aistar 2 or the TinyUSB2 device if a USB solution suits you) which I would rate as performing best in the tuning department, but since you are after Digital and Analogue cards working under Linux, I am not sure that you can do better than the DNTV Live Pro. :blink:

#8 spottyrover

spottyrover

DTV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:17 AM

thanks guys
does the DNTV Live! DVB-T Pro have antenna in/out
is it best to get another antenna (my current is a hill analogue which is fairly large)
or to use an antenna amplifier

thanks for the help so far

#9 renura

renura

DTV Forums Member

• 6,002 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

thanks guys
does the DNTV Live! DVB-T Pro have antenna in/out
is it best to get another antenna (my current is a hill analogue which is fairly large)
or to use an antenna amplifier

thanks for the help so far

DNTV Live! surely has antenna in :blink: You can also use the FM Radio input socket as antenna out, but will loose the FM.

I have no idea what antenna would be best in your situation, I think you will have to ask a local expert to find out. You can also look in the > Geographical Viewers Forums ofr seom guidance on what sort of antennas work in your area.

#10 indulis

indulis

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

I have 3 x Kworld DVB T-100 cards in my server, and I run mythtv which has no problems with three of them (scheduling could be smarter but it is OK for now).

I am running Ubuntu Breezy, had to do NO kernel hacking at all to get the cards to be recognised and work.

I won't say how much hacking around I had to do to make mythtv work ;-)

There cards are nice cos you can "daisy chain" the antenna from one to the other. No need for a splitter. Kworld sells its cards to other companies like MSI (one of their TV@nywhere cards... I found which one, as it is still available, I could only find the Kworlds via eBay... expect to pay $60-$80).

If you want to test your cards, you can use Xine (choose your fave Xine GUI front-end, I used gxine). Once you've run tzap to create your channels frequency list, you can go into Xine and choose which DVB card you want to view. This is how I tested that my system was OK before running mythtv. Forget about dvbscan and pipes to mplayer etc as they actually did not work, and sent me off on a wild goose chase for 1/2 a day until I tried Xine.

In Gxine in preferences you'll find a DVB tab under another tab (prefs-media-dvb). Select which tuner you want to use there, or there is a command line flag for it too I think....

If you need it, I can send you my channels.conf file out of tzap which xine uses for ch up/down.

indulis
21cmail
c o -m

Allow 2-3 days for postage and handling ;-)

#11 spottyrover

spottyrover

DTV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the info Indulis but I just got a dntv live pro which after I installed the 2.6.16.14 kernel from kanotix works fine with kaffeine (i.e it set up ok but the program seems unstable) but I can not get it to work in gxine I ran
" scan usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/au-Adelaide | tee mychannels.conf" but I do not know what to do with the output. I also set it up as card 0 and 1 but it sayes "No input plugin was found.
Maybe the file does not exist or cannot be accessed, or there is an error in the URL."
so i will look for some plugins soon

do you know of any simple programs which have record scheduling. As i have looked at mythtv in the past and found i could not set up mysql database.

thanks for your help every one
Dave