• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 matave

matave

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:02 AM

after alot of searching i can across these two tv's, both drastically reduced............side by side i must say the KHVX had the slighty better PQ as the KHVR seemed to have a sort of "artifact" around the edges of faces when people moved.......I dont know if this was the tv or the setup.......they were originally set up via RCA but the salesman hooked them up via component although he could only do one at a time......the PQ seemed a little better but not noticably, again this could be due to setup.......the KHVR seemed smooth but come better with the shaprness turned up to 90 odd....again the dvd player may have been el cheapo too but overall i was impressed..the difference between the two sets was $350......both under $1900 too

one thing that the KHVR has against it is the need for a HD PVR as I dont want a DVD recorder or VCR anymore.......but i suppose i could always hook up a SD PVR and get a HD one later when they come out and prices drop

#2 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

DTV Forums Member

• 991 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:05 PM

They were probably feeding it a crappy SD signal, which is why the HX looked better. Feed them both a HD signal and compare the difference.

An SD signal on a HD set will look bad simply because they are designed for HD signals.

Pay the extra $350 and get the HR.

#3 DavoNogo

DavoNogo

DTV Forums Member

• 5,801 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:13 PM

If they were both floor stock, I wouldn't go touch them... 90+ sharpness is not a good thing, and I'll bet they were running the TVs at a high contrast/brightness level too... Running everything up high will degrade the life of the TV exponentially.

#4 puffmoike

puffmoike

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

If they were both floor stock, I wouldn't go touch them... 90+ sharpness is not a good thing, and I'll bet they were running the TVs at a high contrast/brightness level too... Running everything up high will degrade the life of the TV exponentially.

Obviously brand new would be preferable. But as you know, DavoNogo, if an aspiring KVHR owner wants one now their choice is floorstock or second hand, neither of which are exactly thick on the ground anyway.

So this is a real world question for you, and others:

Are you advising avoiding KVHRs altogether (despite the fact they are almost universally acclaimed as the best CRT available in Australia - and you have championed them on this forum)?

Just how much worse will one off the floor be? Would I notice it the moment I got it home? (If I had a hypothetical fresh-out-of-the-box one next to it would I notice the difference?)

Or are we talking about some number of years down the track? Because I think I can live with that - TVs are going through something of a computer-like phase (regarding improvement and reduction in prices) in my opinion. If a floorstock KVHR could get me comfortably through relatively low-level viewing for the next five years I have little doubt that I'd happily replace it with an SED panel at the end of that period.

Cheers

#5 williamtassone

williamtassone

DTV Forums Member

• 1,106 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:50 AM

[provided its not killed by a surge, a well made CRT should last at least 15 to 20 years.

I've seen plenty from the early 1980's that have never borken down and still have astonishing brightness and colours.

Then again they dont make anything like they used too

For a KVHR36m31 to get a new one in the box you would have too import it yourself from Sony Malaysia

I doubt any one in Australia has an unopened one

#6 matave

matave

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:52 PM

thanks for the input people.....they were actually running a dvd at the time, legally blonde, which was a pleasant change from all the finding nemo around......when i asked to have a look at FTA tv the salesman could only hooked them up to an aerial, no SD or HD, so i didnt really judge to quality of the tv's on that just the dvd.....the tv's didnt look dodgey although there are scratches on top of the KVHX and i think most of the settings were on default and they were just using those dynamic/custom preset modes you see

#7 gen1

gen1

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:40 PM

matave,

I recently bought a Sony KVHR off the floor and I'm absoloutely thrilled with the PQ. I'd go for the KVHR over the SD model. It's definitely worth the extra $. I've read people advising against ex-floor stock due to shortened tube life ... but you won't find a new one in a box. They were discontinued before Xmas. It's a case of buying ex-floor stock or missing out on the best CRT TV ever made.

Mine was made in Japan (which means it's an earlier model) and the picture was set to dynamic when I received it (which means it's been burning away at ridiculously high brightness and contrast) - but I'm not worried. Free to air HD transmissions look so good with a HD STB.

However it's true that a SD signal will look better on a SD TV. Part of the reason is the quality of the Sony internal upscaler. I'm going to try using the STB as the upscaler. I'm told it delivers a better result.

Are you in Melbourne? Where have you seen them?

#8 DavoNogo

DavoNogo

DTV Forums Member

• 5,801 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

The question you just have to ask is how long has the store had the TV for, and the exact settings they've been running it... The Dynamic setting is actually quite detrimental for the TV, as it uses a fairly high contrast/brightness setting.

#9 williamtassone

williamtassone

DTV Forums Member

• 1,106 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:30 AM

The question you just have to ask is how long has the store had the TV for, and the exact settings they've been running it... The Dynamic setting is actually quite detrimental for the TV, as it uses a fairly high contrast/brightness setting.

True but if the TV was on the floor for 12 months the sales guy wiil tell you he pulled it out of the box last month

#10 mello yello

mello yello

DTV Forums Guru

• 27,143 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:21 AM

~
Are you advising avoiding KVHRs altogether (despite the fact they are almost universally acclaimed as the best CRT available in Australia - and you have championed them on this forum)?
~

I wouldnt discount the Toshiba 32/36 SW9UA as there is only a struck match between them and the Sonys.
They also have a few features and qualities that are better than the Sonys (size, weight, SD card slot etc).

And you dont have to worry about buying floor stock and they also come with a 2 year warranty.

That is if you cant find your Sony.

Personally, I chose the Toshiba OVER the Sony.

:blink:

ps Matave...that salesman sounds like the lost third Dodgy Brother....I wouldnt trust him. You dont need any snake oil demo to know the HR is BETTER than the HX...trust me :P
The artefacting around faces on the HR is caused by sharpness set too high and digital noise processing turned on (whatever Sony call it).....The factory defaults need to be tweaked to get rid of this.
WRT to needing to get a HDPVR..dont worry about it...an SDPVR will give you just as good a return, as you wont really be able to tell much difference between HD and SD (of the same program).....on this size tele anyway :P

#11 matave

matave

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:48 AM

Hi.

gen1 - im in nsw and they are at a harvey normal store......

mello yello - i've been to just about every retailers of televisions in the surrounding area and I've yet to meet someone selling a Toshiba TV yet, although I have read many good things about them....which is disappointing really cause i would like to see one.....

cheers

#12 mello yello

mello yello

DTV Forums Guru

• 27,143 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

Hi.

mello yello - i've been to just about every retailers of televisions in the surrounding area and I've yet to meet someone selling a Toshiba TV yet, although I have read many good things about them....which is disappointing really cause i would like to see one.....

cheers

Just ring Castel (Melbourne) and tell them where you are and where the closest one is :blink:

#13 gen1

gen1

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:12 AM

Hi.

cheers

matave - In NSW, go to any Dick Smith Powerhouse. Prices vary between stores as individiual store mgrs seem to have the authority to have different ticket prices. You should be able to find a Toshiba 36" at $1,999.

#14 matave

matave

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

apparently the remote for the KVHR is missing........but I can get a universal remote!.........sounds great!!........