• Please log in to reply
2557 replies to this topic

#1 luvmytv

luvmytv

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

Just found out from Sony Central at World Sqaure that Sony will have two new HD PVR's Ina bout 5-6 Weeks.

SVRHD700 - 160 GB Twin tuner HD - $1399

SVRHD900 - 250 GB Twin Tuner HD - $1599

Apparently the guy who I talked to said he will have them and has seen them in operation. He mentioned the menu system was very good, navigation was easy, and they are taking orders now. Be intereting to see how good they are and what the pricing will end up at one they hit the shops. They are also HDMI and full component width.

#2 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

very interested to find out more... wonder if its a real twin tuner... record two programs at once while watching something that is pre-recorded.

... more importantly does it have a digital out? ethernet, firewire, usb2 ?

Edit: Wonder if this is it... lists USB -> http://store.cousins...dhg-hdd500.html

#3 Basil

Basil

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:42 PM

Just found out from Sony Central at World Sqaure that Sony will have two new HD PVR's Ina bout 5-6 Weeks.

Apparently the guy who I talked to said he will have them and has seen them in operation. He mentioned the menu system was very good, navigation was easy, and they are taking orders now. Be intereting to see how good they are and what the pricing will end up at one they hit the shops. They are also HDMI and full component width.

Hi
Posted about these a couple of Months ago, Sony Central Salesman Chatswood said they were due mid-year and based on the USA NTSC Models, Twin Tuner one Analogue ,one Digital. The Prices you quoted are about right too , he said around $1500 for the 250Gb when i mentioned that $2000 was being 'bandied' around..
I would like to add i don't know if the Pal version of the above will have twin Digital or Digital/Analogue Tuners, the Salesman who seemed to know what he was talking about went into his Spiel as soon as i mentioned HDPVR and stated its based on the the USA Model.

Lets hope 2006 is the year for HDPVR's as i can't believe the LG is Bug free, IMPO the Panny and Toppy might be due later this year as well.

Regards

Basil

Edited by Basil, 17 March 2006 - 09:11 AM.

#4 172 Flyer

172 Flyer

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:18 PM

very interested to find out more... wonder if its a real twin tuner... record two programs at once while watching something that is pre-recorded.
... more importantly does it have a digital out? ethernet, firewire, usb2 ?
Edit: Wonder if this is it... lists USB -> http://store.cousins...dhg-hdd500.html

For what it's worth here's a link to where you can download the user manual for the US version.

http://esupport.sony...l?mdl=DHGHDD500

#5 MarkH

MarkH

AV Forum Member

• 8,673 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

He would say that he's a Sony dealer...

Edited by MarkH, 17 March 2006 - 04:40 PM.

#6 big_marcelo

big_marcelo

AV Forum Member

• 2,676 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

after reading the manual briefly - its an ok product.

plus
pass 480i/576i via HDMI
HD (1x tuner)

negatives
no inputs
only one HD tuner

I'll wait for the Toppy 7000HD or a solid version of the Toshiba JD35..

#7 Basil

Basil

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

Hi
For once the speculation was correct, apparently they are in use at this moment and are relatively Bug Free(according to Sony.)

How about a post from the "Testers" on the details.???????? **********************************************
I know they Monitor this Forum because i was told a previous Post of mine on the subject(Sony Twin Tuner HDPVR due mid-year) was "very close to the mark".

After a three year wait i am very tempted to jump right in and buy one but i just feel Panasonic, Toppy and the new Toshiba are about to land as well.

Regards

Basil

#8 PVE

PVE

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

No. Enough is enough. Single HD tuner? analogue tuner? Who on earth would pay top dollar for that???? Surely the question has to be does it timer record on both tuners(Toshiba) or one timer/one manual (LG). Now this is is critical question. Analogue tuner? Forget about it. That's horse and buggy technology already on its way out. Sony could not be that far behind the race.

#9 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,636 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:33 PM

analogue tuner?

99% certain it won't have an analogue tuner. This is based on a US model and they do have analogue PVRs over there (eg Tivo). This would be the first Oz PVR with an analogue tuner if it was.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#10 rugbyrene

rugbyrene

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:48 AM

99% certain it won't have an analogue tuner. This is based on a US model and they do have analogue PVRs over there (eg Tivo). This would be the first Oz PVR with an analogue tuner if it was.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

If you read the specs properly you'll find it has two (that's right 2) hi-def tuners. Don't know if it true 2.0 or 1.7 like the lg 5402/3.

#11 apsilon

apsilon

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

After a three year wait i am very tempted to jump right in and buy one but i just feel Panasonic, Toppy and the new Toshiba are about to land as well.

You'd actually consider the Toshiba after all the issues with the first one and the fact it has never been fixed?

Sony products are usually decent so I'll take a look at it when it's released but so are Panasonic and Toppy have a good reputation in the field as well so I think I'll just wait and see.

#12 rugbyrene

rugbyrene

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:49 AM

You'd actually consider the Toshiba after all the issues with the first one and the fact it has never been fixed?

Sony products are usually decent so I'll take a look at it when it's released but so are Panasonic and Toppy have a good reputation in the field as well so I think I'll just wait and see.

I've been hearing about the Pana PVR STB. Do you have any info on it?

#13 cindy_bryce

cindy_bryce

AV Forum Member

• 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:16 AM

found this on Mysony preview

Digital Video Recorder - Watch & Record High Definition TV
SVRHD700 (150GB) & SVRHD900(250GB)

Some of the key features: High Definition Recording, Twin HD Tuner, Pause Live TV, Picture in Picture, HDMI output

The Sony Digital Video Recorder (DVR) gives you a window into the world of high definition digital television. Giving you the ability to watch and record High Definition TV or analogue sources. With twin HD tuners you have the freedom to record two programs at once, and you even have the ability to pause live TV. The Sony DVR is the next generation of video recorder, offering an easy to use solution for recording HD TV. DVR alleviates the need for tapes or discs with up to 250GB of hard disk capacity. You'll never have to miss any of your favourite programs again!

SVRHD700 (160GB) & SVRHD900 (250GB) available in May.

states twin hd tuners (plus record two programs at once) hope fully a 2.0 tuner not a 1.7 or less

#14 apsilon

apsilon

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:03 AM

I've been hearing about the Pana PVR STB. Do you have any info on it?

Nothing definite, just rumoured release date and pricing.

#15 pietro

pietro

AV Forum Member

• 2,572 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:06 PM

Castel denies that there is a new "J35" coming out. I think their latest J35s seem to be trouble-free.

#16 Basil

Basil

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

Castel denies that there is a new "J35" coming out. I think their latest J35s seem to be trouble-free.

Hi
I couldn't find the Post but i remember it saying a "New" Toshiba was due later this Year, the member concerned seemed to know what he was talking about so we will just have to wait and see . I would take anything Castel says with a grain of Salt, i think they wish they had never heard of HDPVR's.

On the Panasonic side of things everythings very quiet but you can bet there not far away. A Post on the subject a couple of Months ago had a link to a WA(Oz) site that had a image of the UK Models with a caption "coming soon".

Looks like Sony the go though, IF its relatively Bug free.

Regards

Basil

#17 PVE

PVE

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:25 PM

Can't make it to the demo in Melbourne because of work. I hope someone out there will be able to go. It is in Notting Hill. It would be good if someone committed and we could get a few questions answered.

#18 JohnZA

JohnZA

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:17 PM

where and what time is the demo?

when will they be in stores?

#19 PVE

PVE

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:11 AM

Wednesday may 3 between 1200 and 1400 at Sony in Notting Hill. You need to be a my Sony member because you have to log in to access the invite. I got that far but then realised that work would be an unfortunate impediment.
A release date has not yet been specificed except to say "early May". Given the technology is being demonstrated in each state in the first week of May it may be assumed that it will be released almost imedietely following the demonstration. The first demo is in Sydney so there should be feedback posted on 2nd of May which answers all those niggly little questions.

Re : The 'new' Toshiba. I can confirm that a person who shall remain anonymous (Castel) did tell me a few months ago that there would be a new model sometime this year.

#20 evil_josh

evil_josh

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:02 PM

$1399 sounds a bit rich considering the street price of $950 for the LG. It would want to be rock solid and true twin tuner for that price. Also $200 for a hard drive thats about $30 dearer is a bit steep too. I wonder if it will take a user HD upgrade like the toppy does?

Also I hope that spend the extra 50 cents in parts and fit a real time clock to this thing. When seeing the ridiculous times that my STB picks up off the transport streams I would seriously doubt the reliability of the programmed recording without one.

In fact I would have bought an LG by now if it had a RTC fitted.

#21 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,636 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

$1399 sounds a bit rich considering the street price of $950 for the LG.

Those are (increasingly useless) RRPs - The RRp for the 250G LG is around $1800! It was selling around $1000 from day one.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

$300 for an extra $30 harddrive - a seriously scummy way to create a 'luxury' version. :blink:

#22 PVE

PVE

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

We know that the RRP on the LG was hugely discounted everywhere before it was even released. My concern is that the premium Sony brand (sniff) may mean they don't play those games. Even so for $1800 it had better cook dinner and make the bed as well. Oh. And get 100 kilometres to the litre and accelerate from 0-100 in 6 seconds.

#23 hornblower

hornblower

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

We know that the RRP on the LG was hugely discounted everywhere before it was even released. My concern is that the premium Sony brand (sniff) may mean they don't play those games. Even so for $1800 it had better cook dinner and make the bed as well. Oh. And get 100 kilometres to the litre and accelerate from 0-100 in 6 seconds.

I shall be monitoring this thread closely when the Sony PVR gets released. My earlier experience with several Sony products has not been the best in terms of reliability and service.

hornblower

#24 luvmytv

luvmytv

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

I went pack to Sony central at World Square yesterday who gave me a tentative 2nd May in store date, give or take. I also recieved the My Sony members invite to the preview of the product.Interesting about the price though.

Looks like Sony is going to make the unit avaiable with the 26", 32" and 40" bravia for about $1000 only. So you save when buying with a TV.

Now this makes sense. They are going to publish a higher SRP, but you will be able to purchase the V40 which has an SRP of $5599 with the 250GB PVR for $6799.

That means only $1200 for the 250gb PVR. Now thats a more realistic price.

The unfortunate thing is you have to buy the bravia, to get the PVR for that price, which is a pain for me as I already bought to V40 bravia.

Sony Central did say that there are a small number of people, purchasing the TV only with no box, so they may have a small quantity at some stage available at a debundled price.

This will make things interesting. The V32 will be bundled with the 160GB PVR for only $1000 premium.

Now these value add bundling prices (when debundled) end up making the PVR's the same price or less there abouts than the LG. Possibly this means, that they have the room for future price drops on the box alone, and thats where they may end up in time to come

we will find out i guess in about two weeks

Those are (increasingly useless) RRPs - The RRp for the 250G LG is around $1800! It was selling around $1000 from day one.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

$300 for an extra $30 harddrive - a seriously scummy way to create a 'luxury' version. :blink:

LG always puts a ridiculosly high SRP on their product, normally way higher than Pana or Sony.

They then give the retailers a "go" price, which gives then the usual retail 15-20% margin.

hence why everyones advertised price on the LG box it $1099 - $999, which is the go price, then with retailers discounting you end up with a sell price of around $920 - $1050.

#25 PVE

PVE

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:07 PM

Are you going to the show and tell Sony are holding? You seem to be suggesting that the Sony will not be available to the general public, or at least in very limited numbers. Did Sony suggest how long this situation would last for? Did you get any more details regarding the units operation?
Regards
Peter van Elden