the 'official' everything XBOX 360 thread

• Please log in to reply
1954 replies to this topic

#1 unomysteez

unomysteez

AV Forums Member

• 30 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:06 PM

hey guys.....how about we start up a really good xbox 360 thread right here......what tvs will be best for it,what cabling, surround sound system,all that.I know there must be alot of you on here that are getting a new TV for the xbox 360, what set are you considering?Ill be getting a 42 inch plasma, high def of course, and at the moment tossing up between the panasonic 500a or the samsung 42 inch high def model......also looking at getting some Monster brand cables to hook up my 360 , to get the best, cleanest signal i can. Anyone got any thoughts of my TV choices or where i can purchase the Monster xbox 360 cable?Or anyone got any other questions or ideas about getting the best set up possiable before the xbox 360 launch?

#2 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:23 PM

I've got a Sony HR32 which will more than suffice for my 360. CRT is superior :blink:

I wouldn't bother getting the Monster cables, reports I've read say that the difference is negligable between them and the M$ ones that come with the Premium pack, at least not for the price they charge for them.

#3 unomysteez

unomysteez

AV Forums Member

• 30 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:36 PM

oh cool, i wasnt sure if the Monster cables would be worth the $100 or not, especially with a nice new high def plasma!!! CRT is king, but i just purchased a studio apartment ill be moving into so space is really tight,need a wall mounted plasma. My budget for the plasma is about 3 grand, and i will be getting it in roughly 5 weeks,just before 360 launch ( hopefully there will be futher price drops in the next 5 weeks! id love to get the panasonic 42 inch 500a for about $3100 , or the samsung 42 Inch PS42S5H at about $2700, anyone heard of a price drop around the corner?theyre dropping so rapidly now that waiting 5 weeks can really make a difference to the wallet).For my surround system i got the logitech z5500 system which im happy with. cant wait to fire up the new ghost recon on my new setup!

#4 Obitus

Obitus

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

I already have a 360 and have it connected to my Fujitsu via VGA cable. It looks outstanding.

#5 ejm

ejm

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:00 PM

For all the people planing on getting the 360 my advice for you is wait till spring (America's spring).

http://games.kikizo....0602/065_p1.asp

#6 Bronx19

Bronx19

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

It'll be longer than that.

Even though they havent officially announced the dates its usually Japan in Spring, Fall in the US.

#7 ejm

ejm

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:26 PM

It'll be longer than that.

Even though they havent officially announced the dates its usually Japan in Spring, Fall in the US.

Hopefully we don't have to wait as long this time as we did for the PS2.

#8 mrangryfish

mrangryfish

AV Forums Member

• 44 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

As far as the best TV for a XBOX 360, so far that would have to be the Acer 37". Its the only one that can do 1080p from HDMI/DVI. 12ms will be fine for games. 16ms doesn't stop the Dell 24" from being awesome, or 14ms for the Dell 30" so 12ms for a 37" should top them both :blink:

In gamer speak: "Acer pwns th0s3 n00b D3ll lamerz"

#9 Andy Pipkin

Andy Pipkin

AV Forums Member

• 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:58 PM

:ph34r: I didn't know the 360 had DVI or HDMI...?

#10 mrangryfish

mrangryfish

AV Forums Member

• 44 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:06 PM

A quick google came up with this..

http://www.xbox360hd.net/faq.html#dvi

So not yet, but maybe by the time we get it in Australia? So a HDMI 'cable' for XBox360 will be available 3rd party until MS officially support it. Component and probably therefore 1080i only until then I guess..

#11 Obitus

Obitus

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:07 PM

It has VGA, no DVI or HDMI

#12 DavoNogo

DavoNogo

AV Forums Member

• 5,801 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

XBox360 will only do 1080i anyway... the PS3 is the one that can do dual 1080p.

Btw, Component can certainly do 1080p, but only at 1080p24, 1080p25 and probably 1080p30 aswell.

#13 Bronx19

Bronx19

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:39 PM

Dual 1080p will be such a waste of time, I'll be surprised if we even see a game running in 1080p in the first year.

Can the latest HDMI revision carry a 1080p/60?

#14 dkmaj

dkmaj

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:41 AM

looking forward to Xbox 360, but have seen some 'weird' anomalies with whats in the premium pack ($649 job). eb dont advertise with headdset or remote, kmart advertise it only with remote, the xbox 360 pre release mag (one with myer coupons inside) say it gets both, any one heard what the truth is??

#15 Remorhaz

Remorhaz

AV Forums Member

• 36 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:32 PM

looking forward to Xbox 360, but have seen some 'weird' anomalies with whats in the premium pack ($649 job). eb dont advertise with headdset or remote, kmart advertise it only with remote, the xbox 360 pre release mag (one with myer coupons inside) say it gets both, any one heard what the truth is??

The "Official" Microsoft bundling for the Premium pack in Australia includes the remote but does NOT include the headset - we've been at MS Xbox Australia about this for some time but they will not change their stance. Of course distributors and retailers will also make their own different bundlings which may or may not include various items.

#16 pandemik

pandemik

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:47 PM

the xbox 360 pre release mag (one with myer coupons inside) say it gets both

which mag is that dude?

#17 dkmaj

dkmaj

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:47 PM

The "Official" Microsoft bundling for the Premium pack in Australia includes the remote but does NOT include the headset - we've been at MS Xbox Australia about this for some time but they will not change their stance. Of course distributors and retailers will also make their own different bundlings which may or may not include various items.

ahh that would be right, rest of the world get it!, do oyu know the cost of xbox 360 gold live subscription???

#18 malfunction

malfunction

AV Forums Member

• 29 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

Actually, Liksang (http://www.liksang.com) have an HDMI cable for the360, although its showing as "temporarily not available" - nor is there a price.

Safe to say it'll be coming tho...

Saw a demo 360 connected to an LG plasma in HN at Garden City (Brissie) a few days ago, and of course it was "off" the console apparently having overheated in the sealed glass-casing they've got it in. Truly brainless. Spoke to the droid, who said that if I wanted to see it in action, I'd just have to wait until it cooled down, then he'd switch it on again. Later, it "was" on, demoing COD2 and looked amazing, even though of course the LG's colour, brightness and contrast were so high as to make me squint.

Gonna look great on my Fuji 50US though....

#19 DavoNogo

DavoNogo

AV Forums Member

• 5,801 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:30 PM

Actually, Liksang (http://www.liksang.com) have an HDMI cable for the360, although its showing as "temporarily not available" - nor is there a price.

A lot of sites list products that aren't on sale, or won't be on sale... Take Duke Nukem Forever for instance.. A lot of sites just list it as Coming Soon or When It's Done for the past 5(??) years, it doesn't mean the game will be coming out anytime soon, or at all...

#20 shinrai

shinrai

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:01 PM

I already have a 360 and have it connected to my Fujitsu via VGA cable. It looks outstanding.

Hey Orbitus, what size Fuji?

And next question: Any jaggies visible on any games? The only real thing holding me back.

That and i'm waiting for HN:Greensborough to get component cables for their 360 so i can see it run CoD2 properly and not through composites.

Please post. :blink: This stuffs important, you know. :P

#21 Obitus

Obitus

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:05 PM

Hey Orbitus, what size Fuji?

And next question: Any jaggies visible on any games? The only real thing holding me back.

That and i'm waiting for HN:Greensborough to get component cables for their 360 so i can see it run CoD2 properly and not through composites.

Please post. :blink: This stuffs important, you know. :P

42" Fuji. Couple titles have a few jaggies, but even those are kept to a minimum. Most of the games are very smooth.

#22 DavoNogo

DavoNogo

AV Forums Member

• 5,801 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:33 PM

Of course there'll still be jaggies at 720p.. that's a lower resolution than 1280x960, and even that has noticeable jaggies on a PC screen... I guess it'll be dependant on the game.. the more intensive the game, the less chance the XBox 360 will be applying any AA... even 1080i needs AA in some cases (some people will argue that it doesn't, but I'm part of the minority that still notices it), but it's very doubtful the XBox 360 has the power to do 1920x1080 + AA and AF, whilst maintaining a smooth frame rate.

#23 shinrai

shinrai

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:05 PM

Of course there'll still be jaggies at 720p.. that's a lower resolution than 1280x960, and even that has noticeable jaggies on a PC screen... I guess it'll be dependant on the game.. the more intensive the game, the less chance the XBox 360 will be applying any AA... even 1080i needs AA in some cases (some people will argue that it doesn't, but I'm part of the minority that still notices it), but it's very doubtful the XBox 360 has the power to do 1920x1080 + AA and AF, whilst maintaining a smooth frame rate.

Due to my plasma having a rez of 1360x768 i try to apply AAx2 to all games i play, since jaggies are very present without it. I usually can't afford the hit aax4 brings with it.

It has been widely marketed by ms that the edram on the xenos chip will allow free aax2 but reports of jaggies have led some to speculate that developers did not have enough time to implement aa (something about coding to use the edram). And that's why we (well some anyway) are seeing it on the 1st gen tittles.

Since i HATE jaggies, i just want to make sure i'm not going to run into many.

#24 DavoNogo

DavoNogo

AV Forums Member

• 5,801 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:47 PM

You'd probably be better off playing COD2 on your PC, IF they haven't enabled AA for that game on the Xbox 360... (I don't know, as I don't have an XBox 360, but I certainly do have it on PC)

#25 Obitus

Obitus

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

Have to remember too that these are launch titles, most of the games have been developed with strict timelines and so AA isn't always an option as they're just trying to get the game out as fast as possible, with as good a frame rate as they can with as little knowledge that they have for 360 hardware at this early stage. Upcoming games will use AA far more.