Help - FusionHDTV DV3-T Lite - Zero Signal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thatsnotme

thatsnotme

DTV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

Disclaimer: I'm completely new to this stuff, and may be making really obvious mistakes. I've tried everything I can think of before posting this - so if I've made totally obvious mistakes, let me apologise in advance! :P I hope I'm posting in the right area... I'm just hoping to get some help before I return the card as faulty, in case there's something I've overlooked/don't yet know about.

I bought a DVico Fusion HDTV DV3-T Lite PCI card this afternoon, and damned if I can get the thing to work. The problem is that, right now, when I run the signal strength test, my results are 0.0 dB signal - absolutely nothing at all. I'm in Canberra (Kambah, Tuggeranong) and looking at the coverage section of the site, it looks like I should at least be getting *something*.

The card appears to have installed correctly - everything's showing up in the device manager as expected. The app loads fine, just doesn't pick up a signal.

At this stage, I'm just using an indoors antenna - I've tried with 3 different antenna's so far, and gotten nothing with any of them. I realise that an indoors antenna's probably not the best, but I though I'd at least pick up more than a bit fat zero. I don't really want to investigate getting a better antenna until I know that at least the card works... Normal TV reception is fine, and as I understand it the antenna should be able to pick up digital signals, as they run over the same spectrum as analog? (this is the bit I'm not so sure of!)

I'm running under WinXP Pro, Athlon XP64 chip, 2GB RAM, etc etc - ie my hardware's up to the task. It doesn't look like the card has any IRQ conflicts. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, no change.

Any ideas as to what may be going on here? Do I have a dud card, or am I missing something? I intend to take it into work tomorrow, and try it in a different PC there (we've got a media centre PC there picking up TV perfectly simply using the included FM radio antenna...so I know there aren't any reception issues there!!), but would be great to hear from some people with some experience in this stuff. ie, not me! :blink:

#2 renura

renura

DTV Forums Member

• 6,002 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:46 PM

First of all I would check that indeed the drivers are installed correctly, have a look at this picture

Disregard the first line, and that is what you should have in the device manager under "sound, video and game controllers".

If the dirvers are installed correctly, I would wait until you have tried the card in another PC and with a proper external aerial, before doing anything. It is quite possible that your internal aerial does not pick up anything.

If the card is faulty, I would suggest you return it to the place of purchase and perhaps consider buying something else, as there are much better value products in the market nowadays :blink:

#3 TonkleChicken

TonkleChicken

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:50 PM

A few extra things. (Probably obvious and you have tried them, but here they are).

1.. Have you scanned for the channels. (Configuration -> Channel -> Auto Scan)
2.. Have you downloaded the latest Drivers? (3.21.01)
3.. Are you an administrator? (You must have administrator rights)

#4 thatsnotme

thatsnotme

DTV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't downloaded the latest drivers (and am slapping myself right now, while they're downloading), so we'll see if that makes any difference.

The previous drivers were definitly installed correctly, showed up in Device Manager properly. I've scanned the channels - nothing found - and am an administrator.

The question I do have, is that even with a crappy aerial, in an area I know has digital coverage (a friend of mine uses a digital set-top box just fine, no more than a kilometre away from me, through a set of rabbit's ears), would you expect to get absolutely no signal at all - not even 0.1dB?

#5 TonkleChicken

TonkleChicken

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:19 PM

Try plugging your arial into an analogue TV in your house, if you get a fairly reasonable to even slightly crappy picture, in all likelyhood you should pull in some kind of digital signal when it is plugged into your PC Card.

#6 thatsnotme

thatsnotme

DTV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:31 PM

Well, I've downloaded the latest drivers, and installed them successfully - no change whatsoever.

Mork, I've used 3 different aerials, and they all produce a perfectly acceptable picture in a normal TV, which makes me think that reception isn't really the issue here, and that I may have won the 'you picked a dud card off the shelf' lottery. Just trying to cover all the bases before I head back to the store...but don't really know if there are too many left to cover now :blink:

#7 renura

renura

DTV Forums Member

• 6,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:18 AM

I woudl still try somewhere else, as far as I know Kambah is not the best place to get good digital reception with an indooor aerial :blink:

#8 thatsnotme

thatsnotme

DTV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:57 AM

I woudl still try somewhere else, as far as I know Kambah is not the best place to get good digital reception with an indooor aerial :blink:

Well, I've now tried on a totally different PC in the city, located in a room that a HP Media Centre PC is able to pick up a perfect signal using nothing but the supplied FM aerial, and I still get 0.0dB signal strength.

So I've pretty much exhausted my options - gonna take the sucker back, 99.9% sure it's dodgy.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

#9 thatsnotme

thatsnotme

DTV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:21 PM

Just to wrap this up, took the card back and replaced it with another - this one's working. So after all that, it was a dead card.

Heh - first piece of gear I've ever bought that's failed out of the box :blink: