How do I hook up Foxtel, DVD Recorder and Plasma

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 incognito

incognito

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:08 PM

We have a Plasma HDTV, Foxtel and a DVD Recorder but are unable to get the DVD hooked up so that we can record Foxtel. Can someone please explain the best method for doing this?

#2 Venus

Venus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:40 AM

The best way will depend on your DVD recorder. What brand/model do you have?

Personally, I have my Fox digital connected via a scart to scart cable to the AV2 input of my Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder. My DVD recorder is connected by component to my plasma screen. The Foxtel is set to RGB, as my Panasonic can accept RGB in via AV2, yet still output component, so the picture quality is as good as I am ever going to get. You need to make sure that AV2 is selected on the DVD-R so you can view the Foxtel signal. If your DVD recorder doesn't accept RGB, then use the next best connection (S-video perhaps).

Good luck

#3 ae93gti

ae93gti

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:23 AM

I have a plasma, Fox IQ and DVD/HDD recorder. I also have an amp mixed up in here but only do sound through this.

IQ Scart to Component cable --> plasma
IQ S-Video to S-Video cable --> DVD/HDD (does not have component in, so S-Video is as good as it gets)
DVD/HDD Component to component --> plasma

In this config Fox ouputs to both Scart and S-Video at the same time which is useful.

DVD/HDD always set to L1 (line one I guess) and we do most of our tele watching direct from IQ to plasma. Don't have any analogue tuners setup anywhere.

Any recording (to DVD/HDD) I want to do from a recorded program on IQ, I just replay it from IQ and record to HDD, strip ads and copy to DVD.

Works well for me.

This will change in the future as I will get a HD STB, and I don't have enough inputs on the plasma so will have to switch it via the amp, which may work ok as I can then down-convert to S-Video to be able to record it. Haven't looked at this yet though.

I guess the best thing to do is use the best output/input available to you with your gear.

Hope this was some help.

#4 Spankeh

Spankeh

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:20 PM

Best way is the following:

1. Buy an AV amp with 3 or more component rgb inputs.
2. Connect Foxtel and DVD Recorder video signals to AV amp, via component rgb cables
3. Connect Foxtel and DVD Recorder audio signals to AV amp, via optical digital cables
4. Connect AV amp video signal to Plasma via component rgb cable. Connect NO audio cables to plasma
5. Connect AV amp to 5.1 (or 7.1) speakers.
6. Macro progam your AV remote to turn on and off, all components with the push of one button.
7. Sit back and select your source via AV remote without switching Plasma channels.

Basically the plasma does nothing but display images, nothing more than a monitor, no button pushing, no mode/input changes, no zoom crap. It just sits there in AV1 mode waiting for signal to be sent to it from AV amp. Dont even connect an RF antenna to it, since plasma is not a source anymore, in this setup.
Next: the AV amp really is the heart to this setup, it controls everything in regards to, what picture is displayed and what audio is heard thru the 5.1 speakers. It can turn ALL components on and off, including the plasma. It controls, via its remote, all the source components (once you program it) so you can ditch the 5 ugly remotes on the coffee table to the 4th draw in your study.

Any other way is noob... ignorance is not an excuse :blink:

If you dont have/intend on getting a HD-STB, and you want to watch Ch 7 and Ch 10 in widescreen, then youll need to plug RF antenna into Plasma (*sigh*), and use its built in speakers (runs away fast), since foxtel only transmits an analog signal on fox digital for these two channels.

Just buy a HD-STB.....

#5 Venus

Venus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:52 PM

If you dont have/intend on getting a HD-STB, and you want to watch Ch 7 and Ch 10 in widescreen, then youll need to plug RF antenna into Plasma (*sigh*), and use its built in speakers (runs away fast), since foxtel only transmits an analog signal on fox digital for these two channels.

Just buy a HD-STB.....

How on earth will plugging RF into the plasma get you widescreen????

All this poor person wanted to know was how to record Foxtel on their DVD recorder.

#6 Spankeh

Spankeh

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:07 PM

Because plugging RF into plasma utilizes its built in tuner, and ch 7 and 10 will display widescreen, unlike Foxtel digital.

OMFG, no tuner built in? scrap that idea! lol

Nothing sh1ts me worse than plugging all sorts of components into a display unit, specially when you want to record stuff from one to the other.

Just buy an AV amp, and plug everything into that, and youll never go back....

"All this poor person wanted to know was how to record Foxtel on their DVD recorder."

See my first post

Edited by Spankeh, 30 January 2006 - 04:18 PM.

#7 Venus

Venus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

Maybe its my blonde genes, but I can't see a connection between the foxtel and DVD recorder in your suggestions. Can you please explain how incognito could record foxtel using your setup?

#8 dvduser

dvduser

AV Forum Member

• 2,701 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

Best way is the following:

1. Buy an AV amp with 3 or more component rgb inputs.
2. Connect Foxtel and DVD Recorder video signals to AV amp, via component rgb cables
3. Connect Foxtel and DVD Recorder audio signals to AV amp, via optical digital cables
4. Connect AV amp video signal to Plasma via component rgb cable. Connect NO audio cables to plasma
5. Connect AV amp to 5.1 (or 7.1) speakers.
6. Macro progam your AV remote to turn on and off, all components with the push of one button.
7. Sit back and select your source via AV remote without switching Plasma channels.

Basically the plasma does nothing but display images, nothing more than a monitor, no button pushing, no mode/input changes, no zoom crap. It just sits there in AV1 mode waiting for signal to be sent to it from AV amp. Dont even connect an RF antenna to it, since plasma is not a source anymore, in this setup.
Next: the AV amp really is the heart to this setup, it controls everything in regards to, what picture is displayed and what audio is heard thru the 5.1 speakers. It can turn ALL components on and off, including the plasma. It controls, via its remote, all the source components (once you program it) so you can ditch the 5 ugly remotes on the coffee table to the 4th draw in your study.

Any other way is noob... ignorance is not an excuse :blink:

Just buy a HD-STB.....

All that was asked was how to connect things together in the simplest way to enable recording, not how to put together a complete new HT system - man have you gone overboard. It might pay to read the post before answering, or not answer at all if it's not going to be in line with what was asked.

incognito, suggest you read the ae93gti post, solution is given there in the simplest of terms

#9 Venus

Venus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

All that was asked was how to connect things together in the simplest way to enable recording, not how to put together a complete new HT system - man have you gone overboard. It might pay to read the post before answering, or not answer at all if it's not going to be in line with what was asked.

incognito, suggest you read the ae93gti post, solution is given there in the simplest of terms

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought it was a bit much.....

#10 Snappytim

Snappytim

AV Forum Member

• 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

We have a Plasma HDTV, Foxtel and a DVD Recorder but are unable to get the DVD hooked up so that we can record Foxtel. Can someone please explain the best method for doing this?

A late reply, but I had the same problem. Firstly, I should mention that my DVD recorder had only composite or S-video input. As S-video is vastly preferable, I got a SCART to S-video cable & set the Foxtel output to s-video.

The DVD recorders output choices were composite, S-video and component. As component is the best of those, I connected that to the plasma screen.

I also conected a digital set-top box to another input of the DVD recorder - again using s-video - as free to air tv that way is better quality than through Foxtel.

One other change I made was to enable progressive scan on the DVD recorder - that was a significant improvement in picture quality. I’m quite happy with that.

Oh, the audio conenction is L & R rca jack cable- my DVD recorder didn't suport digital input.

Still, overall, quite good.

#11 mmpoll

mmpoll

AV Forum Member

• 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:49 PM

I have two SCART to S-Video cables out of Foxtel. One from the Foxtel TV out to the TV S-Video In. The second from the Foxtel VCR Out to the DVD Recorder's S-Video In. Select video output as "s-video" on the Foxtel setup. (I think YUV is unavailable from the Foxtel VCR Out).
Connect the DVD Recorder to the TV (via whatever DVD outputs/ TV inputs are available).
To record Foxtel, change the TV input to AVx (DVD Recorder input), select the source on your DVD (Foxtel) and press record.

#12 johntech

johntech

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

Ah incognito....

It hasn't been offered but the best way is to pay a Custom Installer to come and take all the hard stuff out of it....then all you have to do is drive it and ENJOY (with warranty and backup should you need).