HT basics article

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Aloysius

Aloysius

AV Forums Member

• 14,014 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

I'm a newbie and have been looking for simple explanations of many of the terms that the more technically blessed forum members use.
I found this link to be a big help and commend it to other newbies:

http://hometheater.a...etheaterfaq.htm

Happy learning!

#2 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forums Member

• 23,205 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:04 PM

I'm a newbie and have been looking for simple explanations of many of the terms that the more technically blessed forum members use.

Happy learning!

Good link. Wish there was away (is there?) to print the whole thing in it's entirety without having to do it piecemeal a page-at-a-time.

#3 :)

:)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:31 PM

something like this should pinned up here as really picks up on the FAQs for HT

#4 Aloysius

Aloysius

AV Forums Member

• 14,014 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:28 PM

something like this should pinned up here as really picks up on the FAQs for HT

How do I do that?

#5 stahc

stahc

AV Forums Member

• Banned
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:36 PM

Happy learning!

nice work al, something to get my teeth into next rainy sydney day

#6 :)

:)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

How do I do that?

I pm'd coral hopefully gets put up.

#7 Aloysius

Aloysius

AV Forums Member

• 14,014 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:50 AM

I pm'd coral hopefully gets put up.

Thankyou Alebonau and Lyle - I got the cute popup message re - pinning!

The article might minimise those over and over queries .

#8 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forums Member

• 23,205 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:36 AM

Here's another good link.

http://www.crutchfie...me/ht_need.html

#9 draganm

draganm

AV Forums Member

• 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:44 AM

well I went into that article expecting to get really pissed off at a lot of misinformation about CRT front projection (which i've enjoyed for many years in my home) I was surprised to find some factual and helpful info so I think the author is knowledgable. :D
http://hometheater.a...rojectora_2.htm
there are some things in there are not true however and apply to some of the older all-analog sets that no one here in the states uses any longer. If I may
3. A CRT projector has to be converged properly for best image reproduction. Since the modern CRT projector houses three projection tubes (red, green, and blue), the tubes need to be aligned so that the projected image does not exhibit color halos and the colors are mixed correctly. Also, if one projection tube fails, all three have to be replaced in order to provide the correct color and brightness balance. This is not true, any 8" tubed electromagnetic focusing set or higher has full color temperature adjustment and you do NOT need to replace all 3 tubes. AAMOF, 75% of the sets need only a new Green tube since it produces up to 90% of the light at any given time. The Blue ooccasionaly needs replacing and the Red almost never. After installing a new tube, PERFECT color tracking can be dialed in with ease.

4. A CRT projector is, typically, very expensive. All things being equal, A CRT projector will command a much higher price that other types of video projectors, basically $10,000 on up for a suitable home theater CRT projector unit. well that used to be true, not any more. 8" EM focusing sets here in the US are diret cheap, in the $1K to $2.5K range with perfect tubes and even upgraded optics. they are currently the best value in high definition capable displays although the JVC RS1 DILA has passed them in overall performance.
I also skimmed thorugh some of the other stuff he talks about and a lot of that info is sorely out of date. I gaurantee that on a 1080P LCOS LCD you will NOT see screen door from more than 12 inches away. Now I like to sit really closoe to my screen, but not THAT close. :blink:
Someone needs to write up a new FAQ specifically for this forum that refelcts the state of modern HT today. Things have changed drastically in just the last year.

#10 tracyt83

tracyt83

AV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:00 AM

Thanks some great information
Cheers
Tracy :rolleyes:

#11 mattact

mattact

AV Forums Member

• 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

yea good article thanks

still struggling with my Sony W series, HT and audio on the video channel. Ill keep searching for the info i need :)

#12 fademan

fademan

AV Forums Member

• 49 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:45 PM

Can someone explain what "1 channel driven" actually means when reading it in AVR specs?

#13 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forums Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

Can someone explain what "1 channel driven" actually means when reading it in AVR specs?

This refers to only driving 1 speaker at a time.

So if it's to do with power output, 100w driving only 1 channel, could drop to 50w when driving 2 channels and so on.

#14 fademan

fademan

AV Forums Member

• 49 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:18 AM

Ok, probably should have expanded my question, as the answer doesn't help when trying to understand the following specs for an Onkyo AVR ::

175 W/Ch Continuous 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, JEITA

Does it mean that if you wired two speakers into any of the channels, you'd only get 87.5W? (for that channel)

Edited by fademan, 16 April 2008 - 12:19 AM.

#15 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forums Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:22 AM

Ok, probably should have expanded my question, as the answer doesn't help when trying to understand the following specs for an Onkyo AVR ::

175 W/Ch Continuous 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, JEITA

Does it mean that if you wired two speakers into any of the channels, you'd only get 87.5W? (for that channel)

It basicly means it can produce 175W at 6ohms when driving only one channel(1 speaker). As soon as it has to drive more than one channel(say, both left and right speakers) at a time it's likely that power output could drop. It could maybe do 2 channels at that output, but highly unlikely it could drive 3, 5 or 7 channels at that output. Simply because the power supply of the unit won't output that much power.

I assume you're refering to the new SR606 ?
If you look at the specifications here you'll see it has a max power consumption of 550W. Therefore with 5 channels driven, it can not possibly output more than 110W, and then you have to take into consideration other parts of the unit that draw power from that same power supply. Display, video/audio processing, etc

So, basicly it's a bullsh1t figure. Alot of comapnies are guilty of doing this, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon etc. Some being worse than others.

And for what it's worth, never ever run 2 speakers off the one terminal. It doesn't halve the wattage, it halves the ohm figure. So 2 6ohm speakers, turn into a 3ohm load. Most AVRs will not be too happy with a load like that.

Does that make a bit more sense ?

#16 fademan

fademan

AV Forums Member

• 49 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for posting the explanation. Is it possible to post this info in the main FAQ, as many consumers would probably get confused with the dodgy specifications.

Are there any independent tests posted on the net to check actual power output of these units? I was thinking of buying some concert C-8 series speakers with the TX-SR705, figuring 180w/ch is plenty of power...when actually, with 5 speakers they would probably be lucky to draw 100W each!

#17 ninjaturtle

ninjaturtle

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

I think Harman Kardon are one of the few companies that acurately reflect the true wattage per channel in the AVRs

#18 anthonyjhc

anthonyjhc

AV Forums Member

• 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the info ... we need all the help we can get!

#19 Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

AV Forums Member

• 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

Having a read over this, seems useful so far. Cheers for the info.
I'm looking to buy a reciever and some speakers, but barely know where to start :P

#20 Edi-no-son

Edi-no-son

AV Forums Member

• 9 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

yeaa thanks for the link.

A total noob here regarding HT, but dad making me look into all this for the new about to be built theater room!!
Will have many questions to ask soon so please don't bite me if its noob! lolz

#21 KING46

KING46

AV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

HI,
I just read thru this link and yes its helpful but Ive still got some questions about my HT setup.

My Stuff
Samsung series 6 LED 55" UA55B6000
Yamaha RX-565 AV reciever
Pioneer DV-410 DVD player

I want to set up the system

1. So I can watch the TV with or without the surround soound

2. So I can watch the DVD with or without the surround sound.

3.If I wanted to set up the DVD so it only played thru the reciever/surround, do I just connect HDMI out on DVD to HDMI in on the reciever?

I have diagrams of the connections for all the units but dont know how to attach files to my post. If anyone could tell me how I'll add them in.

Any help would be apprecieted

THANKS.

#22 TheBluDude

TheBluDude

AV Forums Member

• 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

Power conditioners can prove to be very useful.

#23 Halfcast

Halfcast

AV Forums Member

• 24 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

I think Harman Kardon are one of the few companies that acurately reflect the true wattage per channel in the AVRs

Very True. Its a Shame about the reliability of the product though, it is the worst I've seen.
Best of luck to them, i hope they sort it out.