All in Darwin
The ACMA issues the licence for terrestrial TV stations
Digital
SBS channel 29 Logical Channel number of a Digital receiver is 3##
ABD 30, 2##
NTD 31, 9##
TND 32, 1##
DTD 33, 7##

Please note that DTD 33 will only be available in digital and not analog.

Please let me know if the last 2 Logical Channel Numbers are reversed.

So search for channel 33 on the installation menu for your newest station.
All of the above stations are 85 kW effective radiating power. ABC and DTD have an 125 kHz offset.

DTD is owned by the other two Darwin commercial stations.

It is unlikely that the new signals will appear on the satellites for unencrypted viewing for copyright reasons. Also Optus Aurora is only carrying signals for Central Australia and not Darwin.

The Department of Broadband, Communications & the Digital Economy is yet to make up its mind on the rollout of DTV to remote areas such as yours. I hope they upgrade to MPEG4 which would give you 2 HD channels for every channel in use now.

AlanH

What about Austar? Is it going to be picked up by them?

#102 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forums Member

• 12,929 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:52 PM

What about Austar? Is it going to be picked up by them?

not necessarily, look how long it took for 7 and TEN to become available on satellite in Places like Sydney.

#103 aeon

aeon

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

Ten HD has now started up here, it's on channel 1, and is broadcasting at 1080i. At the moment it's just showing some stock footage (no shows as yet).

#104 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:12 PM

Ten HD has now started up here, it's on channel 1, and is broadcasting at 1080i. At the moment it's just showing some stock footage (no shows as yet).

It looks like a SC Ten HD loop featuring areas covered in SC Ten areas. I think I have seen it before in Ayr, Queensland where I used to live and sometimes on hoildays visiting my dad. Reminds me of the WIN HD loop featuring Australia. Looks lovely though :)

William Walker

#105 jsttry

jsttry

AV Forums Member

• 20 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

adds another whole world of pain as it means I have to go get a TV antenna and digital tuner in my media centre if i want to get Ch10 since existing Austar won't provide it :(

#106 Kimmy247

Kimmy247

AV Forums Member

• 20 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

adds another whole world of pain as it means I have to go get a TV antenna and digital tuner in my media centre if i want to get Ch10 since existing Austar won't provide it :(

It makes me cranky that Austar won't provide Ten Digital in Darwin even though they are called "Austar Digital", I can't see a problem. It is annoying that I am paying "X' amount of dollars per month for Austar and they can't even provide all the free-to-air channels available.

I read somewhere that they are looking at killing off cable in a year or so, so they want everyone to have MyStar which would show channel 10, but this is not from a reputable source so I am not sure of its 100% truthfulness.

I don't want to fork out $50 for a digital set top box so I guess I will have to lump that I am missing out on Good News Week and new episodes of the Simpsons.

Come on Austar come to the party and give us Channel 10!!!

#107 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,562 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

Kimmy247,
Why do you want pay tv to provide free to air TV? It costs the Pay TV operator to do this . Wouldn't it be better for a pay tv viewer to get different programs than free to air?
Why not pick it up using terrestrial antenna & STB.
If you are in a remote area then there is Optus Aurora which is free to air satellite for those without terrestrial coverage.

AlanH

#108 aeon

aeon

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

The other thing with relying on Austar to provide the digital channels is that they aren't going to offer the HD channels any time soon either... (and at night time, there is different content on the HD channels compared to the SD ones).

#109 sleeptalker

sleeptalker

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

It makes me cranky that Austar won't provide Ten Digital in Darwin even though they are called "Austar Digital", I can't see a problem. It is annoying that I am paying "X' amount of dollars per month for Austar and they can't even provide all the free-to-air channels available.

I read somewhere that they are looking at killing off cable in a year or so, so they want everyone to have MyStar which would show channel 10, but this is not from a reputable source so I am not sure of its 100% truthfulness.

I don't want to fork out $50 for a digital set top box so I guess I will have to lump that I am missing out on Good News Week and new episodes of the Simpsons.

Come on Austar come to the party and give us Channel 10!!!

In all fairness to Austar , it is not their responsibility to broadcast the FTA channels, its just an add on service that they provide in Darwin on cable. They do no provide 7,9 or 10 on satellite.

The "X" amount of dollars you pay to Austar is a fee for Pay TV not FTA Channels.

Edited by sleeptalker, 20 May 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#110 Kimmy247

Kimmy247

AV Forums Member

• 20 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

Kimmy247,
Why do you want pay tv to provide free to air TV? It costs the Pay TV operator to do this . Wouldn't it be better for a pay tv viewer to get different programs than free to air?
Why not pick it up using terrestrial antenna & STB.
If you are in a remote area then there is Optus Aurora which is free to air satellite for those without terrestrial coverage.

AlanH

I thought that Austar did provide free-to-air also that is why I can see Channel 9 in widescreen because they supply it. I didn't think it would cost them anything my opinion would be it would be like a simple flick of a switch to provide that channel on the Austar frequency.

My point is, is that I am paying almost $100.00 a month for cable which is fine (and I am happy with that) but I don't think that having to pay an extra $50.00 for a STB is right either when it is a "free" to air channel meaning it shouldn't really be a cost to Austar. If I am wrong I apologise, but I have been looking forward to Channel 10 for ages and now to find out it cannot even be available on the medium ie Austar, I access my television on is a disappointment.

#111 sleeptalker

sleeptalker

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

I thought that Austar did provide free-to-air also that is why I can see Channel 9 in widescreen because they supply it. I didn't think it would cost them anything my opinion would be it would be like a simple flick of a switch to provide that channel on the Austar frequency.

My point is, is that I am paying almost $100.00 a month for cable which is fine (and I am happy with that) but I don't think that having to pay an extra $50.00 for a STB is right either when it is a "free" to air channel meaning it shouldn't really be a cost to Austar. If I am wrong I apologise, but I have been looking forward to Channel 10 for ages and now to find out it cannot even be available on the medium ie Austar, I access my television on is a disappointment.

Kimmy, no need to apologise , I am not having a go at you , just trying to explain the situation. :D

#112 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,562 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

Sleeptalker,
You need to look at who the owners are of the satellite companies to see if they get extra FTA programs "free".
Remember that satellite transmissions require the hire of satellite transponders, which is very expensive. This is the reason why Foxtel is going from MPEG2 compression to MPEG4 compression for their HD service. You can fit the HD on MPEG4 into the same space as an SD MPEG2 signal. So shouldn't the satellite pay TV companies have to fill the channels used for FTA programming have to provide unique programming to give more choice or reduce their price of the bandwidth they are using for FTA transmissions.

As I stated before, if you cannot get FTA TV then you can watch it for free from Optus Aurora satellite.

AlanH

#113 Kimmy247

Kimmy247

AV Forums Member

• 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

Sleeptalker,
You need to look at who the owners are of the satellite companies to see if they get extra FTA programs "free".
Remember that satellite transmissions require the hire of satellite transponders, which is very expensive. This is the reason why Foxtel is going from MPEG2 compression to MPEG4 compression for their HD service. You can fit the HD on MPEG4 into the same space as an SD MPEG2 signal. So shouldn't the satellite pay TV companies have to fill the channels used for FTA programming have to provide unique programming to give more choice or reduce their price of the bandwidth they are using for FTA transmissions.

As I stated before, if you cannot get FTA TV then you can watch it for free from Optus Aurora satellite.

AlanH

But most Darwin residents would have cable rather than satellite connections for their Austar. Does this make a difference?

#114 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,562 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

Kimmy,
The cable system would have to be fed from Sydney via satellite. So the signals would be common.
Darwin is fortunate to have all networks transmitted locally. All of regional WA, SA, inland Qld & NSW only has a choice of 2 commercials whether by satellite or on the ground.

AlanH

#115 Smacca

Smacca

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

But most Darwin residents would have cable rather than satellite connections for their Austar. Does this make a difference?

I know in Perth it makes a huge difference. Cable subscribers get local 7 9 and 10... yet satellite customers get none. The reasons why are commonly known (sat space, cost of hiring transponders etc), but I'd say it wouldn't be a big deal for Ten Darwin to retransmit via cable if the other two small profit making stations can do it.

The cable system would have to be fed from Sydney via satellite. So the signals would be common.

AlanH, surely you're not saying Southern Cross, Nine Darwin and Ten Darwin need to be sent up to satellite purely to be included in Austar cable? I understand that they'd need to do it for inclusion on direct-to-home satellite, but we both know it won't be until 2009 if that were to happen - and with Austar using DVB-T for free to airs since MyStar's launch, it most likely will not.

Darwin is fortunate to have all networks transmitted locally. All of regional WA, SA, inland Qld & NSW only has a choice of 2 commercials whether by satellite or on the ground.

Yep! Still a long wait for us too. :(

Kimmy, consider yourself lucky that most likely you'll have all 3 channels on your Austar box. Regional WA has Foxtel instead of Austar. Foxtel doesn't retransmit any free to airs at all - even though both channels are on the same satellite. The luxury of having one set top unit for all channels, pay or free, is miles away from ever happening in our parts of the country. :(

#116 aeon

aeon

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:40 PM

Not sure when the Ten HD channel started broadcasting actual shows rather than just the HD Loop, but Good News Week was on tonight in glorious HD. :)

#117 Reggie

Reggie

AV Forums Member

• 34 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

Not sure when the Ten HD channel started broadcasting actual shows rather than just the HD Loop, but Good News Week was on tonight in glorious HD. :)

And according to this :-

http://www.ebroadcas...2zDFy_XisIHv4Hh

you'll get it again next Monday :D

#118 xm13

xm13

AV Forums Member

• 14 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

Does Darwin get the 'breakaway' Ten HD content, or just Ten SD shows in HD. For example, do you get Smallville, Jericho and other Sci-fi programs from 8:30 Thursday on HD or simulcast/loop?

#119 sleeptalker

sleeptalker

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

Does Darwin get the 'breakaway' Ten HD content, or just Ten SD shows in HD. For example, do you get Smallville, Jericho and other Sci-fi programs from 8:30 Thursday on HD or simulcast/loop?

Being a Sc-Fi fan I was hoping to get Jericho, 4400 etc but we don't get the HD content on Thursdays , just the loop. Not sure what the case is on other nights as I haven't checked. :huh:

Edited by sleeptalker, 26 June 2008 - 01:51 PM.