• Please log in to reply
644 replies to this topic

#26 ShMiCk

ShMiCk

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:06 PM

Shmick, i must admit getting into the service menu helps but you really have to know what you are doing, the samsung service menus are very extensive, but the end results are truly amazing with this plasma, an 80% improvement from standard settings out of the box.........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad your enjoying the panel! The PQ is pretty good.

Here are my settings.

Contrast:- 60
Brightness:- 48
Sharpness:- 0
Colour:- 31
Colour Tone:- Warm 2

Pink:- 5
Green:- 50
Blue:- 100

I got these after a few tries at using DVE. Similar to yours?

The service menu is in an alien language to me :blink:

#27 GladiatoR

GladiatoR

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:21 PM

I just recently purchased a LG with built in hdtv tuner plasma and have also noticed that when on a black screen I can notice some faint things from previous things I had, I never havbe a static image on for over 5 mins so just wondering if it will eventually fade away and after the burn in period has finished, wont have to worry about this sort of thing?

Regards Joe.

#28 shinrai

shinrai

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:00 AM

I just recently purchased a LG with built in hdtv tuner plasma and have also noticed that when on a black screen I can notice some faint things from previous things I had, I never havbe a static image on for over 5 mins so just wondering if it will eventually fade away and after the burn in period has finished, wont have to worry about this sort of thing?

Regards Joe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you seen if they fade after 5 minutes of moving pictures? Do they remain?

#29 Dexx

Dexx

AV Forum Member

• 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:33 PM

Do any of the current players have a screen saver? I think i'd prefer having to hit a button on the remote every hour to risking burn in.

#30 GladiatoR

GladiatoR

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:40 PM

That would be a great feature and the picture has totally gone. I'm happy :blink:

#31 AdrianW

AdrianW

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:17 PM

Do any of the current players have a screen saver?  I think i'd prefer having to hit a button on the remote every hour to risking burn in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By "players" do you mean DVD players?

I have a Sony 730 and a Pioneer 676 and they both have screen savers which kick in after leaving the player in pause or on a menu for a certain amount of time - they go to a black screen with a bouncing logo, and if left even longer they switch off.

My plasma will switch off if it receives no signal for a specified amount of time. So in worst case, I'll come back to watch a paused movie and the DVD player and the plamsa will both be off.

#32 digitech

digitech

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:41 PM

Glad your enjoying the panel! The PQ is pretty good.

Here are my settings.

Contrast:- 60
Brightness:- 48
Sharpness:- 0
Colour:- 31
Colour Tone:- Warm 2

Pink:- 5
Green:- 50
Blue:- 100

I got these after a few tries at using DVE. Similar to yours?

The service menu is in an alien language to me  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

settings are nowhere near shmick, as this unit has been done through the service menu, which allows for untold changers to different parameters of the screens colours, i tried your settings and they are much better than out of the box, but if you can afford a professional to come out or a mate that knows a fair bit, i would pm you the service menu codes, but it is not something you should try, if you have no experience with callibration of plasmas , ceiling mount crt, etc, otherwise you can bite off more than you can chew, and it can end up looking pretty ordinary

#33 ShMiCk

ShMiCk

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:44 PM

settings are nowhere near shmick, as this unit has been done through the service menu, which allows for untold changers to different parameters of the screens colours, i tried your settings and they are much better than out of the box, but if you can afford a professional to come out or a mate that knows a fair bit, i would pm you the service menu codes, but it is not something you should try, if you have no experience with callibration of plasmas , ceiling mount crt, etc, otherwise you can bite off more than you can chew, and it can end up looking pretty ordinary

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you get your screen professionally calibrated? And can't you reset the service menu settings if you stuff them up anyways?

#34 digitech

digitech

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:32 AM

Did you get your screen professionally calibrated? And can't you reset the service menu settings if you stuff them up anyways?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry not to get back to you earlier shmick, i callibrated the screen with a friend who does the callibrations for stereo supplies in queensland, this tv is not mine i have an nec 61" hd and fujitsu 42"sd as a perk of my job i occasionally take home plasmas to give them a thorough going over.
I normally do this for a week or so, but i must admit, i was surprised at the quality of this tv once properly set up, blue light aside which can be annoying.
there is a reset button in the service menu, but as i said before the amount of settings that you can change in this tv is pretty amazing.
i am surprised that samsung do not take the time and effort to play around a bit more with the settings at the factory prior to shipping, as they would sell a hell of a lot more units.
But as i said your dve settings are pretty good for out of the box, you should give yourself a pat on the back for perservering, to get it to an acceptable level that you are happy with, as it is a fairly expensive investment, and one that will give you value for money in the long run........

#35 ShMiCk

ShMiCk

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:38 PM

Sorry not to get back to you earlier shmick, i callibrated the screen with a friend who does the callibrations for stereo supplies in queensland, this tv is not mine i have an nec 61" hd and fujitsu 42"sd as a perk of my job i occasionally take home plasmas to give them a thorough going over.
I normally do this  for a week or so, but i must admit, i was surprised at the quality of this tv once properly set up, blue light aside which can be annoying.
there is a reset button in the service menu, but as i said before the amount of settings that you can change in this tv is pretty amazing.
i am surprised that samsung do not take the time and effort to play around a bit more with the settings at the factory prior to shipping, as they would sell a hell of a lot more units.
But as i said your dve settings are pretty good for out of the box, you should give yourself a pat on the back for perservering, to get it to an acceptable level that you are happy with, as it is a fairly expensive investment, and one that will give you value for money in the long run........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!.

Yeah, I'm extremely happy with this screen. I was a bit paranoid about it when I initially got it. But I guess for the amount of money people spend on these things you kinda expect a bit of paranoia.

#36 PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

On the topic of plasma and burn-in, this new White Paper on Pioneer US website concludes:

The commonly held beliefs about the viability and performance quality of plasma TVs turn out to be merely myths when held up to the discerning eye of quantifiable testing. In particular, concerns about plasma lifetimes and image retention ("burn in") are half-truths  that  may  have  been  legitimate  concerns  for  early  generations  of  plasma displays, but are non-issues with today's current generation products. Yes, plasmas may show signs of retention if still images are left on the display for very long periods of time (such as 24 hours or more), but even in this extreme example, the result is only  temporary.  Today's  plasma  TVs  essentially  heal  themselves  with  subsequent viewing of regular TV material. As a result, more common scenarios of 5 to 10 minute (or even several hour) image pauses will not cause permanent damage.

So it looks like aside from perhaps some precautionary use during the first 100 hours (which doesn't even seem necessary now), it's best just to enjoy your plasma and not worry about burn-in, as long as you don't do something silly like leave a static image on it for days on end.

The paper itself is a good read on LCD vs Plasma, as well as some other common myths about plasma displays. It's sponsored by Pioneer, so of course it'll favour plasma, but still it's from August 2005, which is almost a year newer than the previous Panasonic white paper often quoted on burn-in and other issues.

I got the tip-off on this from the AVS forums btw.

#37 Aqua

Aqua

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:36 AM

When previously posting the Panasonic White Paper "Plasma Facts and Myths"
I clearly stated November 2004. The document is also marked November 2004.

I have since checked out all Panasonic Consumer Electronics Press Releases since Nov 2004 and found:
NEW White Paper: "The Future Looks Bright for Plasma TVs" 05/20/2005
Page 8 of the PDF file, “Technology is Overcoming Perceived Weaknesses” is informative, especially paragraph 4.

#38 ozboyz

ozboyz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:43 PM

this is the reply that I recieved via email from the Panasonic support team

Dear Alan,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

There are no details on Running the Screen in with Australian Released Plasma Panels.

A Plasma should not be laid on it's side. The unit will have to be lifted and the lowered onto

the Pedestal stand as indicated in the instruction. If the Plasma is laid on it side it will increase the chances of being damaged.

I trust this information will be of assistance however, please do not hesitate to contact CCC on 132600 should you require further support.

Kind Regards,
Panasonic Customer Care
www.panasonic.com.au

ozboyz

#39 Aqua

Aqua

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:00 PM

There are no details on Running the Screen in with Australian Released Plasma Panels.
A Plasma should not be laid on it's side. The unit will have to be lifted and the lowered onto
the Pedestal stand as indicated in the instruction. If the Plasma is laid on it side it will increase the chances of being damaged.       

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least in USA Panasonic.com have this advice on their site "Plasma TVs FAQs"

#40 ozboyz

ozboyz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:40 PM

we then asked about running in again and this is the reply we got. it also included their advice on attaching the pedestal. They are not really coming forward with any advice on running in a plasma, and seem to be skirting around the issue.

The manual for the Pedestal does indicated for ease to lower the Panel Face down for easier connection on the Pedestal. This isn't a mistake. It should only be done very quickly and lifted back upright, If not handled correctly could cause damage to the Panel. We normally advise to lift and lower the panel onto the Pedestal Stand.

Products purchased outside of Australia are different to the one's released here. This starts with the power requirements, The tuners generally only work in the Country of Purchase, there are three different colour types (PAL, NTSC and SECAM) these are set depending the Colour System used in that country.

I trust this information will be of assistance however, please do not hesitate to contact CCC on 132600 should you require further support.

Kind Regards,
Panasonic Customer Care
www.panasonic.com.au

#41 Junkyard

Junkyard

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:12 PM

say your watching something that is in 4:3 or something not in 16:9 and there are black bars , do those black bars burn in?

i want to buy a plasma but i must say this burn in is making me alittle scared of buying one

#42 shinrai

shinrai

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:53 PM

The bars are not a problem if you don't have your contrast at ridiculously high levels for the first 200-300 hrs.

#43 StarDrifter

StarDrifter

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:48 PM

say your watching something that is in 4:3 or something not in 16:9 and there are black bars , do those black bars burn in?

i want to buy a plasma but i must say this burn in is making me alittle scared of buying one

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have a plasma. I have a LG MW60 60" LCD RPTV. Have had it for 2.5 years and about 95% of my viewing is in 4:3 and I have noticed that I have a vertical line burnt in about a few inches in on the left and right of the screen.

#44 murcod

murcod

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:29 AM

Here's some info taken directly from Pioneer Australia's website that is relevant to this thread:

-All phosphor-based display systems (Cathode Ray Television Systems, both direct view televisions and projection televisions as well as plasma display systems) may possibly have image retention, also known as burn-in. recommended guidelines are as follows
-Do not display static images for long periods(such as still images, fixed images from PC or TV game equipment, and/or fixed images such as time of day indicator or channel logo display)
-Do not display content in the 4:3 aspect ratio black or grey bars on left and right side of content) or letter-box content (black bars above and below of content) for extended periods of time, or use either of these viewing modes repeatedly within a short period of time. This Plasma Display System is equipped with multiple wide-screen viewing modes; use one of these screen modes to fill the entire screen with content
-Displaying dark images after displaying still images for a period of time may cause Image retention. In most cases, the image retention can be corrected by displaying bright images for a similar period of time. However, if your Plasma Display System displays still images for additional long periods of time, image retention may be irreparable

This quote is direct from Pioneer : http://www.pioneerau...36hd/index.html

#45 murcod

murcod

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:35 AM

A bit more from their warranty sheet :

Warranty – Pioneer Plasma Display Panel
Subject to the provisions of this warranty,
Pioneer Electronics Australia Pty Ltd ACN 005
017 087 ("Pioneer") agrees to repair or replace
without charge, any manufacturing defects in
the Pioneer Plasma Display Panel (the "Panel")
for a period of five years from the date of
original purchase by the original purchaser.
This warranty will not apply to:
© “burn-in” or “cracked-screen” consequences
of incorrect operation;

http://pioneeraus.co...FlyerJuly05.pdf

#46 Bewaudio

Bewaudio

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:04 AM

Regards Joe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just a note as I have an LG with tuner (42PX4DV) you need to turn the brightness and contrast on the screen down to get the best results. I also turn off the 'XD' engine for DVD's onver component as they force dark colours close to black - to black (someone mentioned Black Crush, is this the correct therm?)

It is noticible on black screen only?
If i've been playing with the menu for a while it will stay visiable on the black screen for a little bit. If you arte bothered by it your screen may have a 'White Wash' function which clears this up very quickly.

#47 --rex--

--rex--

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 02:22 PM

Plasma image burn is no longer a problem in current model plasmas.

read her for the full story http://www.audioholi...erformance2.php
for a rigorous discussion and testing of plasma fact and fiction.

After displaying a fixed game menu for 48 hours in tests there was a retained image which disapereared with time with normal use on all of the plasma stes tested.

buying a new TV has quickly become one of the most confusing and challenging purchase decisions that consumers now face. Between the transition to digital TV and HDTV programming, and the overabundance of TV types, technologies, and terminologies, it's no wonder modern TV buyers can't separate fact from fiction.

Especially with Oz having 1081i, 720p and 576p brodcast options rather than the one 720 p option adopted by the USA.

#48 murcod

murcod

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:53 AM

Plasma image burn is no longer a problem in current model plasmas......

Perhaps you should tell this poor plasma owner that?

http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=29204

#49 NeoG

NeoG

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:03 AM

I accidentally left my plasma on the SBS off-air thingo for a few hours.. I was surprised that there was no image retention at all. (Panasonic PV30)

#50 murcod

murcod

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:30 AM

If you want some real life burn in experiences (instead of what IMHO often appears to be sponsored research), then read this:

http://www.dtvforum....opic=29579&st=0