SC Ten at Mt Bellenden Ker

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Tangfish

Tangfish

AV Forum Member

• 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:05 AM

Can anyone tell me if SC Ten is broadcasting from Mt Bellenden Ker yet?
I spoke to a young lady at 10 Cairns about 2 weeks ago and she said they were upgrading the transmitters there over the course of the next week.

Anyone seen anything yet?

(I'm not in Cairns, but my parents are, hence my asking.)

Cheers

Shane.

#2 stickeylabel

stickeylabel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:50 AM

Can anyone tell me if SC Ten is broadcasting from Mt Bellenden Ker yet?
I spoke to a young lady at 10 Cairns about 2 weeks ago and she said they were upgrading the transmitters there over the course of the next week.
Anyone seen anything yet?

(I'm not in Cairns, but my parents are, hence my asking.)
Cheers

Shane.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure if SC TEN are transmitting from Mt Bellenden Ker or not, because I recieve TV from Cairns East, Mt. Yarrabah. But according to the DBA website http://www.dba.org.a...sp?sectionID=22 SC TEN have not yet annouced when they will start their Digital TV Broadcast.

Also, can your parents recieve digital TV from Mt. Yarrabah, because SC10 are already broadcasting from Mt. Yarrabah.

#3 Tangfish

Tangfish

AV Forum Member

• 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:26 AM

Also, can your parents recieve digital TV from Mt. Yarrabah, because SC10 are already broadcasting from Mt. Yarrabah.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are in Mt Sheridan and currently get a signal from Bellenden Ker.
They enquired with an antenna installer about changing their antenna setup to point to Yarrabah but were advised to wait a few weeks and 10 would be broadcasting from Mt BK.

That was a month ago now so was just wondering if anyone had tried getting 10 from Mt BK.

When we originally tuned in the receiver they got about 50 duplicate channnels but 10 wasn't any of them and they'd rather not go through the whole scanning process / set up again until it's worth their while.

Can anyone else help?

Cheers

Shane.

#4 Rainbow

Rainbow

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:30 PM

An earlier post suggested that SC10 was not going to broadcast from BK at all, although I expect they will have to at some time down the line. However, have a look at the approved implementation plans on this website, and you will see that BK (=Cairns) is not listed for SC10:

http://www.aba.gov.a...ister/Qld.shtml

Don't know if that means anything, but if I were in your parent's position, I'd be swinging the aerial around to Yarrabah.

Rainbow

PS. Ten seems to always be the odd one out - they don't transmit analog from Saddle Mtn, resulting in nearly everyone on the northern beaches needing a 2-antenna system.

#5 connelm

connelm

AV Forum Member

• 34 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

They are in Mt Sheridan and currently get a signal from Bellenden Ker.
They enquired with an antenna installer about changing their antenna setup to point to Yarrabah but were advised to wait a few weeks and 10 would be broadcasting from Mt BK.

That was a month ago now so was just wondering if anyone had tried getting 10 from Mt BK.

When we originally tuned in the receiver they got about 50 duplicate channnels but 10 wasn't any of them and they'd rather not go through the whole scanning process / set up again until it's worth their while.

Can anyone else help?

Cheers

Shane.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with Rainbow, turn the antenna to yarrabah, SC10 delayed and delayed getting the transmission from yarrabah, who knows how long they will take for bellenden ker

mark

#6 Casper27

Casper27

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:46 PM

I'm fairly new to digital TV and the Cairns area as well, but last night I picked up a Compro DVB-T300 digital card for my HTPC and it seems to have tuned in to SC10 on the 177.5MHz frequency, which according to this site is the BK tower? Apparently Saddle Mtn and Yarrabah both transmit at 655.5MHz? Can anyone confirm this? I'm in Mooroobool and only getting about 50-60% signal on SC10. Is it possible that they have just started broadcasting from BK? Or is the DBA reception locator not 100% accurate. Cheers

#7 gadgarra

gadgarra

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:37 AM

I think there must be another explanation. I have line of sight to Bellleden Ker and there is no signal on VHF Channel 6 (177.5MHz). Also, I believe that SC10 have formally stated that they have no plans to introduce service from BK in the forseeable future.

#8 Casper27

Casper27

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:40 AM

Beats me - all I know is my card is tuned in to 177.5MHz and I'm getting SC10 Cairns and SC10 HD (only around 50% signal though so not very watchable). All my other channels are tuned in on frequencies around the 100-300Mhz range (except SBS) which according to the reception locator all points to me getting signal from BK. I've tried doing searches around the 600-700Mhz range to get signal from Yarrabah or Saddle Mtn but I get nothing. What area are you in gadgarra? And are you getting SC10 on any other frequency? Can anybody else confirm a signal on 177.5?

#9 gadgarra

gadgarra

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

I'm on the Tablelands, due west from BK. I cannot receive either of the other Cairns transmitters, and so am not able to get SC10 at all. Is it possible that SC10 are using that freqency to relay their signal from, say Mt. Yarrabah to Saddle Mountain, or vice versa? But if it' not a watchable signal, I guess it doesn't really matter.

There have been several postings over the past few months, including a direct quote from SC10 that they were not going to install a transmitter at BK, because of the access difficulties. This was in spite of the fact that all the other stations seem to have managed.

#10 Casper27

Casper27

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

Is it possible that SC10 are using that freqency to relay their signal from, say Mt. Yarrabah to Saddle Mountain, or vice versa?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess that could be the case... It'd be nice if it was some sort of low power test signal though, with proper broadcast coming online from BK very soon :P :blink: :P

#11 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:57 PM

I'm on the Tablelands, due west from BK.  I cannot receive either of the other Cairns transmitters, and so am not able to get SC10 at all.  Is it possible that SC10 are using that freqency to relay their signal from, say Mt. Yarrabah to Saddle Mountain, or vice versa?  But if it' not a watchable signal, I guess it doesn't really matter.

There have been several postings over the past few months, including a direct quote from SC10 that they were not going to install a transmitter at BK, because of the access difficulties.  This was in spite of the fact that all the other stations seem to have managed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Gadgarra, I'm in Innisfail and have just recently purchased a HD STB. It annoys me (and I'm sure everyone else) no end that 10 is the last up here to be upgraded to digital!

I mean, they'll have to upgrade it eventually, or does everybody miss out and loose a channel? If they aren't going to install a digital transmitter, then what are they going to do? Do you know any other info in regards to this?

The BK transmitter covers a very, very wide area, so something has to be done... :blink:

#12 gadgarra

gadgarra

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

I agree itís frustrating, but I think that, given that SC10 are covering the bulk of the Cairns population via their Mt. Yarrabah and Saddle Mountain digital transmissions, then they probably have no legal liability with regard to BK for quite some time yet - could be a matter of years.

One solution would be to wean yourself off all Ten broadcasts. Iím not really affected, because the only thing I watch on Ten is the F1 motor racing and thatís not even in widescreen so analogue is OK.

#13 P1aGu3

P1aGu3

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:23 AM

Just did a quick channel scan, nothing from BK yet, still getting 10 from the side on Saddle Mountain.

#14 Casper27

Casper27

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:35 AM

Went home last night and there was no signal on 177.5 where I was previously picking up SC10 for a few days... I've emailed Southern Cross asking them if there is any test broadcasting going on etc... Will post their response if I get one :blink:

#15 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:14 PM

I agree itís frustrating, but I think that, given that SC10 are covering the bulk of the Cairns population via their Mt. Yarrabah and Saddle Mountain digital transmissions, then they probably have no legal liability with regard to BK for quite some time yet  -  could be a matter of years.

One solution would be to wean yourself off all Ten broadcasts.  Iím not really affected, because the only thing I watch on Ten is the F1 motor racing and thatís not even in widescreen so analogue is OK.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, to be honest, I don't really watch that much SC10, but every now and then they have something good on, or a movie, etc. But the main thing is I want to watch more 1080i TV, doesn't matter what it is :blink:.

Seven is pathetic with only 576p.

#16 stickeylabel

stickeylabel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:20 PM

Does SC10 have to provide digital tv from Mt Bellenden Ker by law? Or do SC10 only have to provide digital tv to a percentage of Cairns?

If every other station can provide digital from Mt Bellenden Ker why can't SC10.

#17 7seven

7seven

AV Forum Member

• 56 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:22 PM

I agree itís frustrating, but I think that, given that SC10 are covering the bulk of the Cairns population via their Mt. Yarrabah and Saddle Mountain digital transmissions, then they probably have no legal liability with regard to BK for quite some time yet  -  could be a matter of years.

One solution would be to wean yourself off all Ten broadcasts.  Iím not really affected, because the only thing I watch on Ten is the F1 motor racing and thatís not even in widescreen so analogue is OK.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know if this helps, but online at acma.gov.au website under radio/tv, is the 2005 radio and tv handbook online....

Under, Cairns IBL = what ever ibl is? TNQ6=sc10 is on digital from QLD rail Aumuller st Portsmith site. From memory thats the telstra mobile tower near showgrounds.

hope this helps those who cant get sc10

#18 Casper27

Casper27

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:50 AM

I knew I wasn't going crazy! :P Just checked the reception locator again on this site and SC10 from Bellenden Ker now has a commencement date of October 6! :blink: I must be picking up test signals. Sweet :P

#19 Rainbow

Rainbow

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:51 PM

I knew I wasn't going crazy! :P Just checked the reception locator again on this site and SC10 from Bellenden Ker now has a commencement date of October 6! :blink: I must be picking up test signals. Sweet :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be October 2006... Not so sweet!

#20 Casper27

Casper27

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:47 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:P :P :D

But then that doesn't really explain why I can pick up a weak signal now - surely they wouldn't be testing more than a year in advance would they? And if it's not a test signal then what the hell is it? :blink: Agh I should've stayed in Brisbane!

#21 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:49 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tend to agree that it looks like Oct 2006. Great, another 14 months of analogue...

#22 Rainbow

Rainbow

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:04 PM

:P  :P  :D

But then that doesn't really explain why I can pick up a weak signal now - surely they wouldn't be testing more than a year in advance would they? And if it's not a test signal then what the hell is it?  :blink: Agh I should've stayed in Brisbane!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you may be getting a bounce off Yarrabah. I recall an earlier poster that picked up SC10 on weird frequencies when his antenna was aimed at BK. I'm not a technician however, so don't now how that might be possible. In any case, it's pretty clear that there are currently no SC10 transmissions from BK, so your reception must be coming from elsewhere.

Rainbow.

#23 stickeylabel

stickeylabel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:27 PM

I'm in Mooroobool and only getting about 50-60% signal on SC10. Is it possible that they have just started broadcasting from BK? Or is the DBA reception locator not 100% accurate.

Have you tried to recieve SC10 from Mt. Yarrabah? Because if you live in Mooroobool, the reception of SC10 digital is good.

If Mt Bellenden Ker broadcasts to such a large area, why haven't SC10 started Digital TV from Mt Bellenden Ker yet?

If everyother channel broadcasts digital from Mt Bellenden Ker why hasn't SC10?

#24 PaKL

PaKL

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:56 AM

Hi All,

First Post and all that.

However I have been following this thread for some months and am interested in SC10 from Mnt BK.

I currently pick up channels from Yarrabah but the levels are just acceptable, I am located at Mnt Sheridan.

Now that Oct 6 2005 has passed has anyone been able to pick up SC10 from Mnt BK?

Knowing that in advance would save me from climbing up onto the roof, rotating the antenna back to horizontal and aiming it at Mnt BK only to find that I have to put it back the way it was :blink:

Thanks,
PaKL

#25 stickeylabel

stickeylabel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:07 AM

Hi All,

First Post and all that.

However I have been following this thread for some months and am interested in SC10 from Mnt BK.

I currently pick up channels from Yarrabah but the levels are just acceptable, I am located at Mnt Sheridan.

Now that Oct 6 2005 has passed has anyone been able to pick up SC10 from Mnt BK?

Knowing that in advance would save me from climbing up onto the roof, rotating the antenna back to horizontal and aiming it at Mnt BK only to find that I have to put it back the way it was  :P

Thanks,
PaKL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi PaKL,

SC10 from Mt. Bellenden Ker wont start until October 2006 :blink:. It's terrible that SC10 still doesn't provide Digital from Mt. Bellenden Ker. I also recieve SC10 from Mt. Yarrabah, but have perfect reception on all channels, most of the time.

PS: Do you have any glitching or drop outs on any channels currently from Mt. Yarrabah?

Stickeylabel,