Photo

Plinus Amplifiers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:20 AM

Hi 

I will be going to Auckland and then Wellington for a meeting, and I wonder if any members here might know a good place to listen, and perhaps score a good deal?

Looking for a high powered stereo amp with HT bypass, and with a neutral to warm sonic signature... 

On the side, maybe some recommendations for good food going from Auckland down to Wellington?

Cheers

#2 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:30 AM

The NZ$ is a lot closer than it used to be. We used to get a 25% bonus heading over. Not right now.

On the food front - The Skylift Restaurant at Rotorua is amazing if your passing through. Choose your meat and cut and they'll cook it for you. Best seafood, meat, fresh produce buffet i've ever seen. And the views are pretty good.

No sulpher smell that side of town either.

#3 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 32,452 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

was as a gtg on the weekend where a plinius integrated was doing a great job as pre amp. was a meaty integrated from what I understand but the power amp was a huge krell so we didnt even try the plinius for power duties. the remote was literally a metal brick ! 

its good gear, as to who to demo and sell in newzealand maybe contact plinius themselves...am sure they could advise who has in stock and where to check out.

check local pricing too. sometimes its not worth it with warranty and support buying overseas and then bringing in. might be cheaper with dealer discounts here or close enough. or maybe not but atleast worth checking before going :)

#4 Jamo8

Jamo8

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

For Auckland check out:-

www.avalon.co.nz

www.stereotype.co.nz he runs his business from home. You need to book an appointment .

#5 miata

miata

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

You might like to check out Gary Morrisons new designs. Since he left Plinius to start again, he has turned out some critically acclaimed gear, under the name Pureaudio. ( http://www.pureaudio.co.nz/ ). It was Gary, who designed much of the really good Plinius range. Gary also lives in Wellington.

#6 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

You might like to check out Gary Morrisons new designs. Since he left Plinius to start again, he has turned out some critically acclaimed gear, under the name Pureaudio. ( http://www.pureaudio.co.nz/ ). It was Gary, who designed much of the really good Plinius range. Gary also lives in Wellington.

Nice looking kit

#7 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

Thanks everyone, please keep the suggestions coming... I will be there by Thursday, and spend some time at a conference before I have a few days of touring... plus some time to check out the hifi :)

Will bring my fav discs to demo... of course if the cost delta is not much, I may refrain from buying... what's a Haitonga going for in NSW anyway?

Cheers

#8 miata

miata

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

Nice looking kit

And getting excellent reviews too.

#9 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

Dropped by a couple of shops in AKL.. their Marantz prices are also pretty stiff, 3k ++ for a 7010...

At least the Hautonga was nicely priced at < 6k... tempting indeed...