• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 groovem

groovem

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Did anyone else receive a coupon on a discounted price for the new Sherlock title The Abominable Bride? It was to be available on both DVD and Blu-ray for $14.95. 

The only problem is that there seems there was practically no stock delivered to the stores - at least not to the three local JB stores near me (Chatswood NSW). I spent a considerable amount of time trying to save $5.00, only to be told that there was never much stock and it sold out quickly.

JB I am not going to pay full price for this item and I will only purchase it in one of your 20% off sales even if I have to wait until next Christmas!

#2 Mr Robot

Mr Robot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:48 PM

Perhaps use this existing thread?

http://www.dtvforum....gain/?p=1640153

#3 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

The only problem is that there seems there was practically no stock delivered to the stores -

And they wonder why people download

#4 Mr Robot

Mr Robot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

And they wonder why people download

lol I don't think they wonder, they just don't give a rats enough yet to improve what they are doing.

#5 Cevolution

Cevolution

AV Forum Member

• 42 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

Did you visit these stores, or call them? If the former, perhaps you should have called your closest JB store first to find out whether they had stock, before going there. If they didn't have any left, they could have checked what other stores still had stock, and you could have gone there instead, and phoned through prior to arriving so that they could put a copy a side for you.

I received the email not long after midday on Tuesday, and I know others did too, so you did have 5 and a half days to get to a JB to pick up a copy. Considering today was the last day for this particular promotion, and the title is a new release therefore was likely quite popular especially at the that price, it's no great shock that some stores might be out of stock. Certainly not an excuse to pirate the title like the poster above suggested.

#6 Mr Robot

Mr Robot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

Hey! I did not suggest any pirating at all dude!

#7 Cevolution

Cevolution

AV Forum Member

• 42 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

Hey! I did not suggest any pirating at all dude!

The members post is above mine, this doesn't necessarily mean directly above ;) :)

#8 Mr Robot

Mr Robot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:50 PM

The members post is above mine, this doesn't necessarily mean directly above ;) :)

Yes just figured I'd better make a denial LOL!

#9 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:44 AM

Certainly not an excuse to pirate the title like the poster above suggested.

Jumping to conclusions, are we.  I happened to suggest downloading, and you conclude, I'm a pirate.  With a wooden leg and a bloody parrot .

For starters downloading, is not against the law. Your going on as if the original thread starter was about to buy the Harbour bridge, instead of a DVD or a CD.
The simply answer is If one place is out of stock, go somewhere else. Or stay home and download it.   

#10 Cevolution

Cevolution

AV Forum Member

• 42 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Jumping to conclusions, are we.  I happened to suggest downloading, and you conclude, I'm a pirate.  With a wooden leg and a bloody parrot .

For starters downloading, is not against the law. Your going on as if the original thread starter was about to buy the Harbour bridge, instead of a DVD or a CD.
The simply answer is If one place is out of stock, go somewhere else. Or stay home and download it.   

Indeed I did jump to that conclusion, my apologises. I suppose I am just used to seeing Australian members on Whirlpool (I don't post there any longer, I requested for my account be closed about 12 months ago, but I do still read there) bring up piracy, admitting or implying that they do it, and encouraging others to do it too.

Edit: Corrected a spelling error.

Edited by Cevolution, Yesterday, 10:10 AM.

#11 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:47 AM

Indeed I did jump to that conclusion, 

You are probably half right..

seeing Australian members on Whirlpool (I don't post there any longer,) bring up piracy, admitting or implying that they do it, and encouraging others to do it too.

Wise move,  I stir the pot there on occasions, it satisfies my sick mind

But getting back on subject,

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view. How else do you obtain  the latest TV series or Movie, without waiting months for a supposed over priced copy to appear on the Retail market, But to download / Torrent / pirate / steal / etc.   If you can come up with a valid practical   alternative, I'm all ears. 
A short perusal of what's available via a streaming service. i.e. Netflex, will tell you that current programming is not available, and discount the fact that our Internet speeds are way,way slower then the rest of the world and three times the price. So if it does Show up, half the time it's unwatchable.  But that's OK, just keep feeding them cash every month and don't complain.

What your saying in effect is watch it with copious amounts of advertising on the  Television and be satisfied, or wait for months  for it to become available  and overpriced in a retail store.

Why should anyone have to tolerate that sort of situation,  When you can torrent download, more or less the next day. And whether you except the fact or not , there's nothing illegal in downloading.  We hear all the time that the government of the day are going to make peoples ISP's report an infractions, by way of warning letters. Telling the perpetrator just how naughty they are. First it was June, then September, them December, then January One. Nothings happened, and why, Simple they know they can't get away with it and ISP's have better things to do, But drive there customers away by sending out uninformative crap, about what there doing in private.

Edited by bassett, Yesterday, 10:48 AM.

#12 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 AM

You would possible find that the greater percentage of people on here download if  truth  be known, whether they care to admit to it is another thing entirely

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view. How else do you obtain  the latest TV series or Movie, without waiting months for a supposed over priced copy to appear on the Retail market, But to download / Torrent / pirate / steal / etc.   If you can come up with a valid practical   alternative, I'm all ears. 
A short perusal of what's available via a streaming service. i.e. Netflex, will tell you that current programming is not available, and discount the fact that our Internet speeds are way,way slower then the rest of the world and three times the price. So if it does Show up, half the time it's unwatchable.  But that's OK, just keep feeding them cash every month and don't complain.

What your saying in effect is watch it with copious amounts of advertising on the  Television and be satisfied, or wait for months  for it to become available  and overpriced in a retail store.

Why should anyone have to tolerate that sort of situation,  When you can torrent download, more or less the next day. And whether you except the fact or not , there's nothing illegal in downloading.  We hear all the time that the government of the day are going to make peoples ISP's report an infractions, by way of warning letters. Telling the perpetrator just how naughty they are. First it was June, then September, them December, then January One. Nothings happened, and why, Simple they know they can't get away with it and ISP's have better things to do, But drive there customers away by sending out uninformative crap, about what there doing in private.

#13 mixo

mixo

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 AM

Its not easy been legal is it..

Its like they don't want our money..

mixo

IMHO its their(insert player) own fault trying to separate the world into regions trying to extract the most money they can and then getting shafted by the tv stations who in turn shaft the viewing public..They don't get it we have moved on from the 1950's(talking free to air)

#14 Cevolution

Cevolution

AV Forum Member

• 42 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:32 PM

There is always something to watch, there is plenty of fresh and old content available to keep people occupied while waiting for content to make it here, people are simply impatient. I own a massive Blu-ray collection (some of which you can't get here, but I didn't turn to piracy though, instead I imported them still paying for the content. Often content can be sourced from somewhere while still paying for it, and often at a reasonable price), have access to Netflix, Stan etc. I have more than enough content to keep me going, as does everyone else. Content is not a necessity, people don't need to see it straight away or even at all, they want to, therefore there are no valid reasons to pirate, just excuses. I only just started watching True Detective season 2, and I won't be watching Game of Thrones season 5 or The X-Files season 10 until the physical media releases (for the X-Files partly because I'm still watching seasons 1-9 on Blu-ray), which is next month for GoT5 and June for The X-Files. I haven't had ad's interrupt my viewing for years. I don't watch FTA or Foxtel.

Our internet infrastructure isn't up to scratch, people know this, but yet this hasn't stopped a large percentage of Australian's from turning their backs on physical media (essentially because they are too impatient to wait for delivery, are too lazy to go to the shops, or to get off the couch to put the disc on) for this so called convenient technology that is poor quality, but then complain about it's poor quality, and this being a reason why they pirate, rotfl. It's not the studios/content providers fault that our internet infrastructure is crap.

What people can't get from streaming/download services, they can often get on physical media, or visa-versa. It's unrealistic to expect all content to be available through one delivery method, it's never going to happen. Consumers need to adjust their expectation on this, and except the reality that to get every bit of content they want legitimately, they have to be willing to source content from multiple services and formats.

People can complain about content that they want not being available all they like, but in reality consumers are greatly responsible for less content being available, and the current state of the Australian market. Blu-ray is a good example of this (currently best quality available), the average consumer hasn't supported the format, and as a result less content is released. People clearly want the quality it provides, otherwise they wouldn't be downloading Blu-ray rips, however many don't seem to be prepared to pay for it, even when many of them can be had for $6-$10 each (and can always be sold, unlike downloads that people pay for). The UV/digital copy codes and/or DVD's that come with some of them can also be sold individually to further reduce the overall price.

In the end, people that pirate content are affecting themselves in many ways (but never take any of the blame), unfortunately their actions also affect me and other Blu-ray enthusiasts, which is why I will never condone it.

Edit: Inserted three words. Edit 2: Corrected a couple of spelling errors, extended the first sentence in the fourth paragraph, and added a sentence to the end of the fourth paragraph.

Edited by Cevolution, Yesterday, 02:56 PM.

#15 groovem

groovem

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Did you visit these stores, or call them? If the former, perhaps you should have called your closest JB store first to find out whether they had stock, before going there. If they didn't have any left, they could have checked what other stores still had stock, and you could have gone there instead, and phoned through prior to arriving so that they could put a copy a side for you.

I received the email not long after midday on Tuesday, and I know others did too, so you did have 5 and a half days to get to a JB to pick up a copy. Considering today was the last day for this particular promotion, and the title is a new release therefore was likely quite popular especially at the that price, it's no great shock that some stores might be out of stock. Certainly not an excuse to pirate the title like the poster above suggested.

Some of us have to work for a living and the earliest time I could get there was first thing Saturday which was when I first tried to buy it. My issue was the amount of stock available which I was told by a staff member at one of the stores was only about 10 copies. 

By law if a company advertises a special they should have enough stock to satisfy reasonable demand. They cannot have a small number of copies available.

#16 broadbean

broadbean

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:16 PM

I'm in a state of transition at the moment - for years I've resisted purchasing just digital copies, much preferred physical media on DVD/BD.

Now that my internet speed is good enough (hope I don't have to move to some where that isn't!), and the quality is better than average, I am not as averse to purchasing digital content, especially iTunes HD. It also works well for us as we have an Apple TV with each TV, as well as iPads and iPhones/iPod touches. I have pretty much stopped looking at torrent sites for over a year now.

Sherlock, The Abominable Bride is $14.99 on the Australian iTunes Store in HD at the moment, so it should be better than FTA, and probably better than average PQ/AQ. If your internet speed is slow, you also have the option to download to your computer first. Add the fact I try to buy my iTunes credit with at least 20% discount, I feel this is a better proposition to me than finding an elusive BD at JB.

For really immersive uncompressed audio, it's still BD. For the bulk of other titles however, especially TV shows, iTunes works for me - when they're on special.

#17 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,979 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:49 PM

martian came in the mail today from the us....cheaper and earlier than could buy it here and delivered to my door. am not sure what people are complaining about ! :D

seriously we have probably more access (legally) to material ever in more than one form than ever.... so should be able to please most I would think :)