X-Files Season 8 Blu-Rays Black Crush

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

If you read overseas forums you're probably aware of the black crush issue with season 8.  If not, you'll be wondering WTF happened when you slip in the first season 8 disc - no shadow detail and most scenes unwatchable unless filmed outdoors. Seems someone stuffed up bad with the video mastering and no-one caught it before signing off.

Some more details here, along with contact details and a pro forma for replacement discs from Fox (no, not Mulder!).  The blu-ray screenshots they've posted like like they were done with a very bright display - much worse on my X500.

For those planning on buying the boxset or individual seasons, I haven't seen any news of revised versions in the wild yet, so expect to have to chase replacement discs.

A few blu-ray.com members in the US have reported receiving corrected replacement discs, but latest news is that Fox is out of stock at present.

#2 Mr Robot

Mr Robot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

Bugger ... Hopefully there will be a replacement program established.

#3 Cevolution

Cevolution

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

Fox U.S are continuing to send out replacement discs to international customers in March, so they say. It doesn't matter what country you bought it from.

Edit: Inserted a word.

Edited by Cevolution, 03 February 2016 - 03:48 PM.

#4 broadbean

broadbean

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

It's a conspiracy. Tad O'Malley should have something to say about that!

#5 Mr Robot

Mr Robot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

I think I bought mine from Amazon UK ... I would guess they have the same problem (?) and will contact them (sometime) when I have a chance.

#6 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

I think I bought mine from Amazon UK ... I would guess they have the same problem (?) and will contact them (sometime) when I have a chance.

I got mine from Amazon UK too - Fox is the biz to deal with - Amazon will probably send another set of the faulty discs.

#7 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 32,397 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:51 PM

what happens with local bought from jb ?

#8 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

what happens with local bought from jb ?

Contact Fox on the link above.

#9 :)

AV Forum Member

• 32,397 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:52 PM

thanks quark. I haven't even opened the box set …and having to contact them for a dodgy disc ! hehe

#10 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

thanks quark. I haven't even opened the box set …and having to contact them for a dodgy disc ! hehe

Too much music listening? I'm just about to finish season 7...

#11 :)

AV Forum Member

• 32,397 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:10 PM

Too much music listening? I'm just about to finish season 7...

wow ! finished watch sons of anarchy, now back to work so not had as much time as over the break…. but keen to crack open this set :)

ill chase up season 8 discs :)

#12 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 4,017 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

My season 8 shows all the black crush issues.

I sent off 2 emails today.

One to Quark's link from the first post. and one to FoxConsumerQueries@fox.com ( after reading this post) : http://forum.blu-ray...234526&page=105

I received a reply from the former saying that my details had been logged and that I would be contacted again soon.

I received an automated response from the latter saying that the email had been received.

Just ready to begin watching the series (after finishing Continuum), so hope that the wait for replacements isn't too long - or complicated :unsure:

Edited by 709er, 05 February 2016 - 05:12 PM.

#13 :)

AV Forum Member

• 32,397 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:53 PM

yeah am the same...I do hope this doesnt drag out....am wondering whether to crack open and jump to series 8 or just send off an email regardless ! :D 

I dont like watching in advance...kinda gives the game away....

anyways am edging to watch :)

#14 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 4,017 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

yeah am the same...I do hope this doesnt drag out....am wondering whether to crack open and jump to series 8 or just send off an email regardless ! :D

I dont like watching in advance...kinda gives the game away....

anyways am edging to watch :)

Likewise - I hate peeking at BD's before watching. It's a vibe killer, but in some cases, you just have to do it :logik:

#15 broadbean

broadbean

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

Likewise - I hate peeking at BD's before watching. It's a vibe killer, but in some cases, you just have to do it :logik:

I came across what seems to be a faulty disc from my James Bond 50 set bought a couple of years back. I've only watched a few not all. I dunno who to contact, and how I would even find more faulty movies without going through all of them.

#16 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,998 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

... the black crush issue with season 8.

Bugger... glad I didn't buy it then when it was a gold box @ Amazon.  :hmm:

... might take a while for affected lines to exit the market too.

Pretty big stuff up really... wtf?

JSmith :ninja:

#17 Cevolution

Cevolution

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:21 PM

There being a fault with this set was predicted by a number of people prior to it's release, with there being such a large number of discs.

I've been in contact with Fox U.S and Fox Australia regarding the issue and organising replacement discs, (who knows, perhaps I might end up getting two corrected sets). I'm not overly concerned when I receive them, in the mean time, most can still watch season 8 as intended with the faulty discs, by simply changing their colour space settings in either their player, display, or both.

Edit: For me, I have to change to 'RGB video level' on my Oppo, and from normal to full in the 'HDMI RGB range' menu on my tv, and the issue is fixed.

Edited by Cevolution, 05 February 2016 - 10:34 PM.

#18 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,893 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:42 PM

Edit: For me, I have to change to 'RGB video level' on my Oppo, and from normal to full in the 'HDMI RGB range' menu on my tv, and the issue is fixed.

Ah, so it's not that the shadow detail has been lost altogether, just that it lies outside the range used by standard Blu-ray titles.  Your suggested work-around approach may enable some people to enjoy watching the faulty Season 8 discs.

[Some of the screen captures that can be seen in the link to post #1 suggest to me that not only were the faulty discs encoded with shadow detail below standard Blu-ray video black (16) but with bright parts of some frames likely to exceed standard Blu-ray video peak white (235). The work-around should reduce any exaggerated whites as well as the already confirmed exaggerated blacks.] 

#19 Mr Robot

Mr Robot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:44 AM

Just don't tell Fox (or is that Faux) because they will declare the problem does not require replacement discs.

#20 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,893 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

Just don't tell Fox (or is that Faux) because they will declare the problem does not require replacement discs.

Fox Mulder could jump to the conclusion of para-normal activity, but Dana Scully would be able to set him straight, after some basic research into video encoding parameters.  :-)

#21 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 4,017 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:35 PM

Has anybody got their replacement Season 8 copies yet?

#22 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 4,230 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

Haven't got them yet. Fox advised that mine would ship in March.

#23 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 4,017 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Quark.

I might just shoot off another email so I can get a response like yours :ahappy:

We're well into season 1. The PQ is really good. All my great memories from originally watching it, are there. Excellent.

#24 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 15,145 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

709er: you got yours from Amazon.uk? We are up to season 2. But have switched to season 10. I'll have to chase up these new discs though.

#25 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 4,017 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:57 AM

709er: you got yours from Amazon.uk? We are up to season 2. But have switched to season 10. I'll have to chase up these new discs though.

Hi Chops.

Yes, I got mine from amazon.co.uk, but after sending through emails to both UK and US Fox addresses, I have only received a basic response from the US so far.