Photo

Sky Business Hd

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 robertr

robertr

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

Another Foxtel Channel gone to HD (I noticed last night) how utterly boring, surely they could have chosen another genre given that apart from the studio shots most of the material is  SD sourced  on both Sky News & Sky Business.

Crime & Investigation channel would have been a smarter HD choice, what next HD Weather?

Edited by robertr, 24 January 2016 - 04:16 PM.

#2 SLE355

SLE355

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:35 PM

Crime channel or Turbo Max. I download all bar one car show now as it's so much better in 720p.

#3 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

Sky Business HD was previously the "Best of 2015 HD" stream and dropped from a previous average of 4.13 Mbps a month ago to only 3.28 Mbps now.

It is the only HD transponder with 9 HD video streams. All the other 4 HD transponders only have 8 video streams, So knowing Foxtel they will add another 4 HD channels some time in the near future (one extra per transponder).

#4 pc9

pc9

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

I remember a couple of years ago scanning a few Asian HD satellite pay TV services, most of them seem to have about 10 services per MPEG 4 transponder - not that this justifies what Foxtel is doing.  I think 10 per transponder is too many.

#5 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

I remember a couple of years ago scanning a few Asian HD satellite pay TV services, most of them seem to have about 10 services per MPEG 4 transponder - not that this justifies what Foxtel is doing.  I think 10 per transponder is too many.

I'm not sure if which ones you're referring to, but many international network transponders now have a mix of HD and SD channels (unlike what Foxtel does) so the number can be higher, plus they may be wider bandwidth 54 MHz transponders that can have symbol rates of up to 45 MS/s compared with the 36 MHz transponders of Optus sats with symbol rates of only up to 30 MS/s.