Photo

Reception Issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

Hey guys
I Live on the Gold Coast 4221 and I'm having issues with my TV reception

I am having issues with channel 10, 1

I can pick up the channel but it's all distorted and unwatchable, I have to watch the southern cross 10. This never use to be the case as I could get channel 10, 1 before but lately can't, I haven't changed anything

Another issue I just found today, I installed another tv in my daughters room and it can't get channel 10 etc either but it also has a low single on channel 9 as in 10-15 and gets all choppy now and then same with 9, 9HD, Gem, GO! Channel 7 has a signal of 90-94 so I can get some channels fine in this TV.

Funny thing is that I don't have issues with any other TV when it comes to channel 9 etc

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by DR.ZOIDBERG, 15 January 2016 - 10:17 PM.

#2 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

Hello

Many in your area since TV restack in 2014 have problems with auto tune finding channels their antennas are not pointing towards resulting in poor reception despite excellent signals being available.  If this applies to you, the best way to correct this is to clear the channel memory in the TV and start fresh by following with a manual scan on the wanted channels.

Therefore after you have cleared the channel memory, then:

(1) Decide where your antenna is pointing,

(2) if it's south east to east and is vertically polarised your antenna is pointed to Currumbin. Manually tune to channels 34 to 39 and 49 and 50.

(3) If it's west to north west and is horizontally polarised your antenna is pointed to Mt Tamborine.  Manually tune to channels 40-42 and 44 to 48.

Depending on what you find for (1)  then perform only step (2) or only step (3), not both.

Good Luck

James

Edited by James T Kirk, 16 January 2016 - 10:14 PM.

#3 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

Thanks
Seems it's pointing towards Currumbin but going by the website Currumbin is not best for me

Gonna give it a try tho but have no idea how to do a manual tune to those channels 34-39

Is there more information ?

#4 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

Hi Doc,
Probably in the same area in the menu where auto tuning is there should be a manual tuning setting where you tune the channels you want
one at time,or you could pull out the antenna to the tv and do an auto tune with the antenna out to clear the memories then start
an auto tune again and put the antenna back in before it gets to ch 34, hopefully your tv shows the channel numbers as it tunes and
not just a line across the screen.
cheers Tazzy

#5 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

Hi Tazzy

Good advice, just a shame Currumbin channels are both sides of the Tamborine block and a half to complicate things

Worth a try though if Dr Zoidberg can't find the manual tuning.

James

#6 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

Hi James and Doc
Just looked at 'myswitch' for the Gold Coast area, what a can of worms that area is with 4 transmission sites and the channel
groups and vertical and horizontal polarity.You certainly need your head around it all and a good Digital Signal Meter to make the
magic happen there in bad signal areas.
I think you will need the 'man' to measure the signal quality etc Doc
cheers Tazzy

#7 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:17 PM

Yer in sure my antenna is picking up different singles for different transmitters

I did find the manual option so I can tune it in but I'm not sure what I'm doing sorry. It has a number and a frequency option

#8 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

Hi again
I think you have probably have been watching tv from more than one possibly multiple transmitters and you have been sitting on the
edge of failure with the channels and now your quality has dropped below what some of the tv tuners can handle on some channels.
If you refer back to James's first post you will see the Gold Coast is a complex area for the correct tv transmitter for your area
Not sure if you have looked at the 'myswitch'site ?if not type in your address and you will see how many towers you could get signals
from,what is possibly the best tower for you and channels for that tower and the antenna polarity vertical or horizontal for that
tower.
Tune your tv in manual to the channel numbers for that tower only. don't worry about the frequency tuning at this stage keep it simple
You can't mess anything up, worst case doing another auto tune should get you back to where you are now.
It maybe that the antenna needs to be relocated to get the best signals from the best available tower.It would have to be done
with a signal meter to get a best possible out come.Also the antenna may not be the best one for that area follwing the channel
restack.
A bit more to think about.
cheers Tazzy