Photo

Antsig Under Eave Outdoor Antenna

Bunnings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 7,115 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:09 AM

Hey all... has anyone tried one of these and/or installed same?

http://www.bunnings....th-amp_p4360218

http://www.antsig.co.../AP536_INST.pdf

It's for a friends shop where indoor reception is a problem and installing a large antenna is not viable.

This would be placed under the awning/roof outside the shop.

JSmith :ninja:

#2 debruis

debruis

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

I have not installed one but a client gave me a MatchMaster antenna with inbuilt amp and it was hopeless. The installation was close to the transmission tower and the amplifier destroyed the signal quality as it can when you already have a high signal level. If the shop is close to transmission towers there are some passive antennas that are quite small and maybe more suitable to do the job. In saying all of this you can always give the antsig model a try. You will soon enough know if it works or not.

#3 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 7,115 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

In saying all of this you can always give the antsig model a try. You will soon enough know if it works or not.

Yeah at least it's from Bunnings so return is easy...

I was thinking about getting a cheap signal meter... but might just try it first and see how it goes.

Thanks,

#4 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 7,115 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:30 AM

I have not installed one but a client gave me a MatchMaster antenna with inbuilt amp and it was hopeless. The installation was close to the transmission tower and the amplifier destroyed the signal quality as it can when you already have a high signal level. If the shop is close to transmission towers there are some passive antennas that are quite small and maybe more suitable to do the job. In saying all of this you can always give the antsig model a try. You will soon enough know if it works or not.

Spent hours last night trying to get a good position... amp off meant less than 10% signal, amp on stabilised it on 3 @ 79% channels but not all 5. Other 2 were @ 48% signal with an unstable quality reading.

I am wondering if this amp includes a 4G/LTE filter... would it be worth trying one? There are mobile towers in the area reasonably close by. I assume the filter would need to go before the amp... however the only one I can find @ Jaycar doesn't have F type fittings. I may need a more plug converters...

From what I see there seems to be intermittent interference... pretty sure it doesn't requite attenuation. Tried all lights, fish tanks etc. off. Bloody annoyance...  :hmm:

Edited by jsmith, 20 January 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#5 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:58 PM

Hi jsmith,
These types of antennas I feel are too much of a compromise in the design compared to the build of an antenna that works ok and is built on
built to normal antenna design specs.
Are you trying to pick up VHF or UHF channels and do you have the polarity correct ?
I like debruis had a lend of a Matchmaster Squarial to test for a job and found it only worked ok on strong VHF signals was very poor
on UHF.I believe that they are no longer available. I have only come across one or two in use.They were a good concept but only seemed to
work in very strong signal areas and cost more than what people were willing to pay I found.I did pull one apart to see what was inside
and it looked like most of the cost was in the plastic case.I think MM rebadged them as I remember seeing Italian or Spanish wording
on the printed circuit board inside.
A small log periodic antenna with the mounting at the back may fit where you want and will way out perform what you have.
cheers Tazzy