• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Riv39

Riv39

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

Something very odd is going on with new release movies which are now taking many months after release at the cinema to get to market on Blu-ray.  Perhaps Netflix, Fetch TV and other streaming video suppliers have managed to convince the movie houses to delay the release to market of Blu-ray so they can have a bight of the cherry first?

Have you noticed how BigW, Target and Kmart just to name a few have drastically reduced the amount of movies they sell?  Perhaps they knew something was about to change?

I find this extremely frustrating as I rarely go to the movies as the picture quality and price is just not worth it.  Rather wait and watch it on my own home cinema but now month after month goes by and no sign of any recent movie hitting the market in Blu-ray.

As for Fetch TV, they want $19.99 to watch the new Mad Max film in SD.....your kidding me right?

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere as I could not find anything.

#2 Blackman

Blackman

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

I totally agree with you mate. Most of us are spending big on our displays and what for to watch ip TV that looks like crap. Im very fussy with PQ and we ain't going to get this via Stan Presto and others.

#3 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:40 AM

I generally use Netflix for the stuff I wouldn't buy on Bluray so for that purpose to me it's ok. Far from perfect but suffices for second choice watches for me.

On the release timing issue I have been content to wait and not purchased OS for a couple years now.

AUD not favourable now at all either.

#4 Riv39

Riv39

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:40 AM

I generally use Netflix for the stuff I wouldn't buy on Bluray so for that purpose to me it's ok. Far from perfect but suffices for second choice watches for me.

On the release timing issue I have been content to wait and not purchased OS for a couple years now.

AUD not favourable now at all either.

The difference is that previously you didn't have to wait to long, with the odd exception of course, but now the situation is ridiculous and again only appears to be here in Australia.  They wonder why content piracy is rampant here in Australia.  Well guess what it's potentially going to get a whole lot worse if this delay is driven by what I suspect it is. The timing also seems to coincide with the change in anti-piracy laws here in Aus......the pieces of the puzzle fall into place me thinks.

Edited by Riv39, Yesterday, 07:40 AM.

#5 tonyjg

tonyjg

AV Forum Member

• 3,103 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Something very odd is going on with new release movies which are now taking many months after release at the cinema to get to market on Blu-ray.  Perhaps Netflix, Fetch TV and other streaming video suppliers have managed to convince the movie houses to delay the release to market of Blu-ray so they can have a bight of the cherry first?

Have you noticed how BigW, Target and Kmart just to name a few have drastically reduced the amount of movies they sell?  Perhaps they knew something was about to change?

I find this extremely frustrating as I rarely go to the movies as the picture quality and price is just not worth it.  Rather wait and watch it on my own home cinema but now month after month goes by and no sign of any recent movie hitting the market in Blu-ray.

As for Fetch TV, they want $19.99 to watch the new Mad Max film in SD.....your kidding me right?

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere as I could not find anything.

Let's firstly 'start' with the remark - 'notice how BigW, Target and Kmart ... have drastically reduced the amount of movies they sell' ....  this is due to a few 'factors' :

1.  PRICE :  why are Blu-rays STILL PRICED MORE than DVDs - and in some instances $10 more on new releases ?  Why... because they can get away with it - there are fewer purchasers of this product, and we, the consumer have allowed this to happen.  Granted, consumers are still buying DVDs.... go figure.

(and if you are waiting for UHD or 4K Blu - then be prepared for little to nothing - and overpriced titles - to which our local B&M stores wont be touching !!)

2.  DVDs :  yep this has already been mentioned - consumers are still buying them - and my local Kmart only stocks them. Target in recent months had a 50% off sale on Blu - and I'm not even sure that they have much left (I've not been in one store for a long while)

3.  Streaming :   sure...  let's all stream via Netflix - but - these are OLD titles.   This has little impact on the newer ones.   I had Netflix, and gave it up - I couldn't be bothered and no one was using it here. 

4.  We are not alone in this - the US has the same problems.  But, the profit margin on these products is small - so why should a B&M store bother ??  Haven't you noticed how JB is moving more towards PCs / phones and other products - the deals that we see are from the distributors whom have some many titles to get rid of. 

And this is the main reason - the B&M stores have too many titles, sitting there, unsold.  And there aren't that many products in the market where 'new stuff' continues to come out, and older stuff just sits there.  B&M stores don't want 2 almost identical products - and 4K (if it ever comes) will encounter the same thing :  do you really need to see 3 movies in DVD, Blu and 4K on the shelf ???

But anyway....  what 'new release' titles are taking longer to hit the shelves ??    Mad Max 4 - that was only in the cinemas a few months ago,   What titles are you 'think' taking longer ???

Edited by tonyjg, Yesterday, 11:27 AM.

#6 Riv39

Riv39

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:53 PM

What films you ask...here's a few

May cinema release:

Avengers Age of Ultron

Mad Max

San Andreas

June cinema release:

Jurassic World

July cinema release:

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation

Sorry I still think there has been a shift in the release strategy.  You tell me why it is now taking 4+ mths for the title to come to Blu-ray.  Not that long ago a movie was on Blu-ray 4 weeks after they stopped in the cinema.

Agree with Netflix the Aus library is crap.  Coming to the end of my free trial and will not continue.

Edited by Riv39, Yesterday, 04:54 PM.

#7 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 13,019 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:53 PM

I'm not sure what the complaint is about.

I started getting BD's 8 years ago and it has always been at least 3 months wait from when the movie stopped screening at cinemas.

Maybe you're imagining that it's taking longer?

#8 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:26 PM

What movies were out 4 weeks after oz cinema release?

Edited by Jutta, Yesterday, 09:26 PM.

#9 idrabble

idrabble

AV Forum Member

• 58 posts

Posted Today, 07:36 AM

May cinema release:
Avengers Age of Ultron US release date: 2nd Oct, Aus release date: 16th Sept
Mad Max US release date: 1st Sept, Aus release date: 2nd Sept
San Andreas US release date: 13th Oct, Aus release date: 30th Sept

June cinema release:
Jurassic World US release date: 20th Oct, Aus release date: 15th Oct

July cinema release:
Mission Impossible Rogue Nation US release date: 17th Nov, Aus release date: can't find a date yet

So if you look at the dates above, we are still getting more or less every release before the largest movie watching/purchasing nation in the world, so whether they are taking slightly longer or not, it's not an Australia only issue

Edited by idrabble, Today, 08:15 AM.