Prime Channels 64,65 And 68 - Canberra

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 garrycol

garrycol

AV Forum Member

• 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

I am in Canberra - Dont ask why, but I have 4 TVs in my house running off 3 different antennas.  My main TV a LG Plasma and a no name LCD TV run off the best antenna.  A cheap Kogan LCD runs of a low set antenna and an old CRT TV runs through a HD STB off an old antenna  that has had most of its rods broken off.

Recently, my LG Plasma started showing that Channel 64 (64ME) was an invalid service - thinking that it was a TV programming issue I rescanned all channels and it shows Prime Channels 64, 65 and 68 are an invalid service.  On checking the no name LCD on the same antenna I find the same but there is audio.  The Kogan TV on its own antenna is the same sound but no visuals on the same channels.

So I think that Prime has done something to their signals - HOWEVER on checking the CRT TV with the STB and the crappy antenna, it  has a full service on these channels with vision and audio - full reception.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Garry

#2 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 13,006 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:37 PM

These channels are now MPEG-4 coded.

What models are your TV's?

By the sounds of it, none of your TV's support MPEG-4 video.

#3 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,923 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:49 PM

Go to a major chain store and buy an Audiosonic STB for $30ea and an HDMI cable for the flat screen TVs and your existing yellow, red and white cable can be used for the CRT TV.

If you want the STB to record, buy a USB thumb drive which fits in the side.

The Audiosonic STB will decode MPEG-4 in HD and SD. For the CRT TV the yellow socket is SD regardless of the channel.

Alanh

#4 garrycol

garrycol

AV Forum Member

• 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

Thanks - I got a response from Prime - yes these channels are all MPEG 4.  My TVs are relatively new and LG has confirmed my TV is not MPEG4 compatible so I guess the DSE and little Kogan are not compatible as well.

Seems a pretty silly decision on the part of Prime to go to this format which means many people will not be able to watch these channels.  Is driven by Channel 68 the Horse Racing channel and the channel will have an older demographic who will also have older TVs so Prime's target audience will not be able to watch the horses.

Certainly not getting a set top box to attache to the HD TVs - thats why they are HDs.  So I guess I will just not be able to watch the channels.  I woud not be happy if I was paying for advertising on these channels.

Garry

#5 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,923 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

Garry,

How old are your TVs? All Sony TVs sold since 2009 are MPEG-4 capable.

Have you tried keying in 68 into the remotes of the DSE and the Kogan to make sure they are not capable of reception?

If Prime did not use MPEG-4 they would have had to stop TV4Me and possibly IshopTV to fit in the data from Racing.com. They will not do this because they are paid to broadcast those programs. So you would not have been able to watch it.

Did you watch SkyRacing on Foxtel?

Australian was .the only country to introduce a single channel of HD per broadcaster from the start. In Europe until the late 2000s all terrestrial DTV was standard definition. MPEG-4 is in common use overseas. Both HD and SD channels in NZ are MPEG-4. It is popular because it produces the same picture quality for half the data, and a TV channel has a fixed capacity.

You could buy one STB for $30 and only use one TV for watching the racing. The racing in not HD.

The Minister for Communications has been pushing the TV broadcasters to use MPEG-4 It would enable them to broadcast their 3 main programs in full HD.

Alanh

#6 CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

Australian was .the only country to introduce a single channel of HD per broadcaster from the start.

Oh really? I'm sure the Americans would be fascinated by alanh's retelling of actual history, but let's not go there.  This alanh-ism has been well and truely dispelled in other threads on this forum.

*edit to fix typo, no alanhing going on here

Edited by CaptainObvious, 31 July 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#7 garrycol

garrycol

AV Forum Member

• 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

My Tvs are LG - late 2009, Kogan 2012 and DSE 2013.

None are MPEG compatible.  The racing channel target audience will generally be older people who are the people most likely to have older incompatible TVs - so a lot of Prime's target audience will not even be able to view the channel on their current equipment.

If MPEG 4 is considered the way ahead - that is great but why not bring in the MPEG 4 requirement when DTV came in - this need to upgrade hardware every few years to suit the braodcasters is a nonsense.

I do not have Foxtel - sorry not be prepared to pay for programmes full of ads.  Not interested in the Racing Channel but I did watch a lot of the car related programs on 64.

Edited by garrycol, 31 July 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#8 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 13,006 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

Have you checked for firmware updates for any of them?

#9 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,923 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

Garry.

It may be worth a try to go to the install menu on the Kogan and the DSE TVs and do a channel scan. Then see channel 64 appears in the program list.

It's too late now, but when analog TV was being switched off, those on a full pension and no digital TV were being given a set top box which is MPEG-4 HD capable by the Government. They were given out in the 6 months prior to 5 June 2012.

When DTV started in 2001 MPEG-4 was not invented. It was standardised in 2003 and was adopted by NZ in 2008.

It was a pity that LG did not follow Sony's example in 2009. The real issue is that the broadcasters and the Department of Communications did not make it a requirement rather than an option in the Australian standards at least in 2010. A similar problem is now brewing because MPEG-4 has been superseded by HEVC This is currently being installed in all new UHD Sony TVs. Also DVB-T2 which is in all new Sony TVs the others don't say. It makes virtually no difference to the price.

The racing was on Sky TV but there was a dispute between Racing Victoria and Sky on a new contract price. Racing Victoria can see the huge advantage of using a non-pay TV service.

Alanh

Edited by alanh, 31 July 2015 - 04:41 PM.

#10 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,923 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:42 PM

Captain Obvious or should I say DrP

No American ATSC TV will ever receive signals in Australia so are irrelevant. Where as European TVs except UK will work here.

Alanh

#11 Malich

Malich

AV Forum Member

• 2,943 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

When DTV started in 2001 MPEG-4 was not invented. It was standardised in 2003 ...

That 2003 date - are you talking about MPEG-4 LC/Main or H.264/MPEG-4 AVC?

#12 muiredachau

muiredachau

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:38 PM

the dispute is between Racing Victoria and TABCorp

#13 garrycol

garrycol

AV Forum Member

• 25 posts

Posted Today, 12:59 PM

I think MPEG 4 was around or contemplated when the full Freefree HDTV system started in 2009.  MPEG 4 should have been specified then.

So I ungraded my TV then and even though it works perfectly and has better functions than most more modern TVs I will have to upgrade again.

#14 Malich

Malich

AV Forum Member

• 2,943 posts

Posted Today, 02:26 PM

I think MPEG 4 was around or contemplated when the full Freefree HDTV system started in 2009.  MPEG 4 should have been specified then.

You mean Freeview (not "Freefree")? Yeah, well and truly - but Freeview isn't a standard (it's just a set of operational practices FreeTV AU came up with), and nobody is required to abide by it unless they want to put a Freeview sticker on stuff they sell.

(edit: Australia had HTDV from the start in 2000, and for a long time it was actually a requirement...)

I was actually hoping for a bit of extra clarity from AlanH on what he meant by MPEG-4, since it's a big standard with several different video compression subsets and a terribly messy timeline - due to (amongst other things) basically being the merged work of 2 different groups (the ITU & ISO/IEC).

"MPEG-4" has been a standard since 1999 (and there was at least 1 working pre-release implementation in widespread use before that), so I was curious as to what specific part Alan was saying wasn't invented in 2001 but was standardised in 2003...

Edited by Malich, Today, 02:30 PM.

#15 garrycol

garrycol

AV Forum Member

• 25 posts

Posted Today, 03:45 PM

(edit: Australia had HTDV from the start in 2000, and for a long time it was actually a requirement...)

On paper for sure and test transmissions but transmissions of digital did not become mainstream until about 2007/2008 and that was with those demonstration videos - flying planes and land/streetscapes etc then slowly the real channels started to transmit.

Well certainly here in canberra - dont know about the rest of the country.