• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 timi2fly

timi2fly

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hi all,

I am moving into a new house soon with a plan to set up a reasonable home theatre room. 

I have spoken to one local dealer who has introduced me to Triad speakers which certainly sounded impressive, and the limited reviews seem to support this. Unfortunately I am stuck on being able to check that the pricing he is giving me is appropriate. I have been quoted ~$1800 per speaker for the Triad Silver 4 in wall (for LCR) and ~$1350 per speaker for the Triad Silver surrounds. There is an REL subwoofer he has recommended that sits at about $2000 bringing the total package to ~$10,500. 

Can anyone please give me an idea of whether this is reasonable pricing for these speakers.

I am pairing these with a Sony 40es or 55es. The reason I ask for confirmation is that his quote for the Sony 55es was certainly at the upper end ($6000).

How much discount should I expect when purchasing all these speakers together as a complete package?

Regards

Tim

#2 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,895 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:33 PM

I am pairing these with a Sony 40es or 55es. The reason I ask for confirmation is that his quote for the Sony 55es was certainly at the upper end ($6000).

How much discount should I expect when purchasing all these speakers together as a complete package?

Regards

Tim

Only you can decide if the price is reasonable Tim ; Triads are a fine inwall brand . I would put the case you may wait for the new sony 2k/4k projectors if he doesnt come to the party on price  :question:  

http://www.avsforum....ml#post36153890

Have a close look at deephz audio maybe an xs30 or 15 if you want value for money as members here can atest  :thumbsup:

Edited by cwt, 31 July 2015 - 08:33 PM.

#3 timi2fly

timi2fly

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for your response cwt.

The Triad speakers certainly sounded impressive, however I simply have no idea what the RRP or market price for these speakers are. I'm happy to pay for quality, I just don't want to be taken for a ride. I can't find any idea of the price of these Triad speakers anywhere from my searches so far. 

With regards to the projector - I almost bit the bullet for a Sony 40ES at $3000 because I couldn't justify the additional $2000 for the Sony 55ES. Now that the 65ES has been announced and there could be some price adjustments in the 4k/2k projectors, I might have to hold off. I am hesitant to buy when we are on the cusp of new model releases. I will have to watch the net for info on these new models.

#4 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,895 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:03 AM

Thanks for your response cwt.

The Triad speakers certainly sounded impressive, however I simply have no idea what the RRP or market price for these speakers are. I'm happy to pay for quality, I just don't want to be taken for a ride. I can't find any idea of the price of these Triad speakers anywhere from my searches so far. 

With regards to the projector - I almost bit the bullet for a Sony 40ES at $3000 because I couldn't justify the additional $2000 for the Sony 55ES. Now that the 65ES has been announced and there could be some price adjustments in the 4k/2k projectors, I might have to hold off. I am hesitant to buy when we are on the cusp of new model releases. I will have to watch the net for info on these new models.

Mmm its hard to put a price on triads Tim as they have a very large range including custom designs     Ide ring David Mosely of wavetrain acoustics [who is the distributor and a member here and well worth listening too as to what models would suit your room ]  :) Bought a cary 11a off him years ago and has nothing but the best including the new trinnov altitude  :wub:  Have a look around the triad website if you havent allready..

http://www.wavetrain...triad-speakers/

http://www.triadspea...ts/iws4lcr.html

#5 HTPC-Guru

HTPC-Guru

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted Today, 05:36 AM

I was also going to mention David. His rooms used to be fitted with triad and I'm pretty sure he's a reseller of the brand.

#6 HTPC-Guru

HTPC-Guru

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted Today, 05:37 AM

And for $6k id go a nice pre pro. Marantz av7702 with a elektra power amp. That will come in just under $6k and blow the Sony out of the water !

#7 timi2fly

timi2fly

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted Today, 12:41 PM

And for $6k id go a nice pre pro. Marantz av7702 with a elektra power amp. That will come in just under $6k and blow the Sony out of the water !

Thanks for your input HTPC-Guru

I currently have an Onkyo SR-875 doing my processing and driving my current speakers. If I go for the Triad Silver speakers, how much benefit do you think I will achieve if I go for a Pre-Pro setup as you describe?

Can you expand on what you mean with "blow the Sony out of the water !"?

I appreciate all your help - these forums are awesome !!!!

Cheers

Tim

#8 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,895 posts

Posted Today, 01:41 PM

I would put the case you may wait for the new sony 2k/4k projectors if he doesnt come to the party on price  :question:  

Scrap that Tim ;was thinking of sony projectors for some reason rather than avr's [ they stick es on everything - silly ]. As mentioned separate pre pro/power amp gives much more flexibility when upgrading as you dont have to sell a perfectly good power amp ; dsp and processing changes all the time in the avr's .. Avr's have generally compromised power supplies compared to power amps [ many spec sheets dont give watts/rms into 5 or more channels] ; and its hard to fit everything in a box with good electromagnetic isolation from the pre amp level voltages and a good power amp like the elektra will drive your speakers more easily ; including low impedance models  :thumbsup:

#9 timi2fly

timi2fly

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted Today, 02:50 PM

cwt - No you were right, I did mean the Sony projector. I now understand where HTPC-guru is coming from with his reference to Sony - he assumed that I was referring to a Sony AV-receiver. 

I now have a few issues:

Projector - Sony 40es is available to me at a good price, but new Sony projectors are on the horizon. Difficult choice but I will probably wait.

Speakers - Triad Silver in wall or something else? I will probably get someone out to check out my room layout to advise on speaker setup.

AVR vs Pre-Pro - I have an Onkyo SR875 & now wondering whether I should upgrade to a Pre-Pro setup. If I do, I presume I should wait until the new 4k bluray format and HDMI updates are released. 

Cheers,

Tim