Emotiva

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 luvitloud

luvitloud

AV Forum Member

• 29 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

Let me state first that this is NOT an attack at Emotiva or its quality I just consider myself to be unlucky 😒
I bought 2 xp1 mono block power amps about a year ago and was very happy with my purchase then about 3 months went buy and I started having trouble with one of amps going into protect mode (all lights on the front flash orange) this would happen when first turning it on and only happened now and then
But that didn't last and another 3 months later it's would not power up at all I contacted Emotiva via email weeks went by before they responded with a very basic response so I found a amp repairs here in Perth who said he could fix it . Another 6months later and still not fixed (he couldn't fix it) after discussing this with a friend I found a second repairer who would have a look free of charge 2 months later I get the call it's going to cost about a grand to fix and the second amp is also now going into protect mode 😩😩😩😩
I have mentioned this problem before on this forum and got some positive feed back .so my question is has any body else had this problem and how did they resolve it also if anyone can offer some advice on the technical side so I can forward this info to the repairer and Emotiva sadly I don't understand the technical side to HIFI I just enjoy quality sound I don't have the confidence to pop the lid and start poking around .any help with this will be greatly appreciated I'm about to throw in the towel and splash out on a new pair of Rotel mono blocks to cheer myself up

#2 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

They are usually very good with supplying parts to be fitted etc. I'd just call them. Ask for a tech or Lonnie

#3 luvitloud

luvitloud

AV Forum Member

• 29 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:19 PM

Thanks jutta I did that And asked them to correspond with my first repairer which they did but I never received any updates or feedback from this repairer I would have to phone him to get any updates he was not very cooperative so I took them back and all info that was supplied by Emotiva which I have left with second repairer
I have been told by others on this forum that it is a simple power coupling (out with the old in with the new) I don't understand why this problem is so hard to fix can somebody please explain to me is this a very technical process or is it simple should it cost a grand to fix even if I choose to use other parts not supplied by Emotiva
Thanks again jutta for your quick response

#4 Will Graham

Will Graham

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:23 AM

Some repairers have very limited experience to common consumer items found in Australian retail stores ... They the expect to recoup and undewright any learning costs required to fix unknown gear ... They say they can fix things, but really it's a lie as they can only fix things if YOU are prepared to pay their training (and error) costs to find out how.

Edit: for this reason I usually do my own homework on how to fix things and do it myself, rather than being taken for a sucker!

Edited by Will Graham, 10 July 2015 - 12:25 AM.

#5 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

I'd suggest jumping on the Emo boards.

Ask how to do it there and someone will have pics or simple instructions for you.

I reckon its a 10th of that price job at a guess.

#6 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

Some repairers have very limited experience to common consumer items found in Australian retail stores ... They the expect to recoup and undewright any learning costs required to fix unknown gear ... They say they can fix things, but really it's a lie as they can only fix things if YOU are prepared to pay their training (and error) costs to find out how.

Good tech's are a dying breed,  These days they simply change a board and charge outrageous prices to do it. I've had kit go into protection mode, when the volume was turned up a bit. Like the OP I ran round like a headless chook, trying to find someone who had the remotest idea of what the problem was. In the end I took the lid of the unit and found a blown cap. Problem solved. Not  bad for someone with no idea.

The little old lady down the road had a non working LCD panel, The quote was something like $600, It needs this and it needs that.  Most of'um want a hundred bucks  as soon as you walk in the door. So I took the back off and had a bit of a look, and found a burned out leg on a rectifier chip [or what ever you want to call it] So I took the busted one out and went to Jaycar.  And said i want one of these [non-technical discription] The part cost me 97 cents . The tellies working and I got a nice fruit cake for my trouble.

But the first question you should ask these garden shed repairers is "Have you any experience with such and such a brand", If you get a blank look "run" Don't leave it and don't pay a  find the trouble  fee.  

Edited by bassett, 10 July 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#7 Jamo8

Jamo8

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

But the first question you should ask these garden shed repairers is "Have you any experience with such and such a brand", If you get a blank look "run" Don't leave it and don't pay a  find the trouble  fee.  

Good advice.

#8 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

Yeah I fixed two plasmas for under $2 total just through taking look. You won't hurt anything unscrewing the casing

#9 Will Graham

Will Graham

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

Yeah I fixed two plasmas for under $2 total just through taking look. You won't hurt anything unscrewing the casing

Just make sure it's not plugged in!

Edited by Will Graham, 10 July 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#10 luvitloud

luvitloud

AV Forum Member

• 29 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the advice i didn't get a call back from the repairer today so I'll have to wait till next week
Might call Emotiva tonight if I can stay awake

#11 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:04 PM

Tennessee will be online by midnite thereabouts

#12 luvitloud

luvitloud

AV Forum Member

• 29 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:17 PM

I have made this call before got up at 5am

#13 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:08 PM

I've serviced a few pieces of Emotiva gear over the last couple of years, an XDA-2, 4 x XPA-1L's, 3 x UMC-200's, a pair of Airmotive 6's and an XPA-2. Their tech support is first class and replacement parts are despatched promptly. If you get stuck let me know, I'm based in Sydney but I have access to reliable freight at reasonable rates. It's not my primary source of income so my rates are very reasonable. :thumbsup:

Cheers
Gary

#14 mmu16

mmu16

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:03 PM

I had a similar issue with my XPA-5. Just randomly jumps into protection mode. Had issues with emotiva customer service (I have a tread in here somewhere about that).  In the end it was the protection circuit itself that was at fault.  They sent me a new board which I swapped over myself. 5 min job. Been working perfectly ever since. Worth your while to query emotiva about this mate. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Emotiva