B&W CAMBRIDGE

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TAFF_AV

TAFF_AV

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

Hi my name is Taff and I been browsing this forum over the last few days to get some invaluable tips. 

I decided i just needed a cheaper range pair of speakers for the lounge room to replace the horrible ones (very old) that my wife was complaining about, ended up buying a pair of: 

Bowers and Wilkins 685 S2 for $800. 

Obviously coming home and putting them on my 10 year old AV amplifier (Onkyo entry level) decided i needed a amplifier to get some better sound out of them and ended up buying a 

Cambridge AZUR 651A Integrated Amplifier for $629. 

Typically the bug has hit me (even though at a budget level) and I have a Stream Magic Network streamer in my sights, just have to convince the lovely wife the 'need' for it. 

I am very happy with the sound I have achieved for my outlay and I think it will improve once i move it to the front room, which has carpet and window coverings and is all round a smaller better room for listening pleasure. 

Just wanted to share my excitement :) 

Taff

#2 mmu16

mmu16

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

Nice start mate.  The B&W's and CA gear will give a nice warm sound. Do you have a CD player yet? The stream magic is a nice bit of kit, specially if you run some sort of media NAS and rip all your CD's to. Can bypass the spinner all together. 

#3 TAFF_AV

TAFF_AV

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

initially the idea was to follow through with buying a Cambridge 651C cd player but funds are not infinite and i have to watch how i spend, so the thought of ripping my CD's in HQ files was my plan yes! However the cost of the cd player may be had at a very good price due to them being superseded, shall keep my eyes peeled. 

I am a victim of quite a large range of MP3 music files which by all means are of no quality to enjoy at a reasonable listening level so am working on replacing these with high quality files. Which would warrant updating my cd collection and a new cd player... 

so many choices aaarrrhhh

#4 Snoopy8

Snoopy8

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:24 PM

Welcome Taff.

Consider ripping your CDs with Exact Audio Copy into FLAC lossless format.  This will give you the highest quality possible with CDs. Then invest in a DAC. It will give you a better path forward than a CD player and better sound for the same dollars (but others in the forum may debate these points!)

#5 TAFF_AV

TAFF_AV

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:30 PM

Hi Snoopy

I have a number of albums on FLAC that i use through the digital output through USB from my macbook pro straight into the 651 and the sound is clearly superior to playing CD on the ps3 (which is all i have as a cd player right now) By going down the Cambridge Stream Magic 6 route i will be able to stream all my files and have use of the built in DAC :) as you have suggested! 

thanks 

Edited by TAFF_AV, 23 June 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#6 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:20 AM

No surprise there re the PS3. Even my Oppo103 BRP sounded dreadful when compared to the Emotiva ERC-1 CDP
And that was direct as a source input into the Denon X-4000. Another step up again thru the preamp in 2ch mode