What To Do About A Subwoofer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gapete

Gapete

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:01 PM

I'am very new to this game and completly lost when looking and tallking about anything audio

so here goes 5 or 6 weeks ago i decided i would by myself a new sound system to replace a very old Phillips 5-1 system, thats when my troubles started, went in to by a receiver, and came out with a Rotel RA 12 amp and two Q acoustics 3010 bookshelf speakers, which i was told would be a good strating point on which to build on as funds came available.

Well just getting the t.v set up and dvd player was hard enough because the amp as no HDMI sockets, now we have cables all over the place, but pleased with the sound so far. 

now am in the market for a subwoofer with very little space to put one, wife dose not want it on the floor (FULL STOP) the tv cabinte as a space of HxWxD ( 530x235x430) so very limited as to what i buy the only one's i can find that fit or the Q acoustics 3070s/ Q 7070si/ and the cambridge X200 and orb audio have a little sub they sell with there speaker systems.

now with all of these's am told they won't conect to my amp, and that's why i came here to try and sort it out because i don't want to buy again something i don't want or can use, so if any body can put me on the right path it would be much apprecited.

I would post some pictures but not sure if you can do this on this forum, all the sales staff were told what i was exspecting from the system, in the long term, it just seems i've been sold the wrong gear for what i wanted,  

now i have the old subwoofer from my 5-1 system  that only as two speaker wire conections on the back, will that work?

Thanks peter

Attached Files

#2 aad_ht

aad_ht

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:46 PM

Hey there, interesting situation you have. When you went in asking about a replacement setup were u with intensions to get a 5 channel amplifier? The RA 12 amp is only 2 channel (stereo), you can only run 2 speakers at a time from it.

I must admit if I got that setup you had and wanted something different I would be writing into the company you bought it from and complaining. Even if it has been 5-6 weeks, it is obvious that the wrong products have been recommended for your needs. The fact that you can't connect it up properly (no hdmi ports) shows that they haven't asked the right questions in the first place to get you the right products.

If you are already needing to find a subwoofer to compliment the speakers (if that wasn't the intention originally) then floorstanding speakers may have been a better choice.

It appears that you have been sold a 2 channel amp and speakers as a package that is best suited to music purposes and nothing more.

I'm sad to hear that your not enjoying your new setup. Don't worry we will 

Adding to a system that has the wrong foundations (wrong amp and main speakers)  will end up a lot more expensive in the long run.

My recommendation would start writing down what u wanted/requested originally in a setup. 

It is very important to jott down all the things you want out of the system.

For example HDMI connectivity, subwoofer, 5 channel speakers, the ability to run speakers without a subwoofer, must be under 1500-$2000 budget for everything.

It appears you have been recommended a stereo amp in a price range that you could easily get an A/V Receiver with 7 channels of sound, and even find some second hand speakers (5 channel with a subwoofer) for the same price as your bookshelf speakers. 

Personally I would request a refund.

Edited by aad_ht, 18 June 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#3 Mr C

Mr C

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:52 PM

Agree with the last post ... Jeez have you been given the wrong turn.  Perhaps the customer did not make clear what he wanted.  Otherwise the seller has plenty to explain.  If they are not willing to give you a refund (after requesting to speak to the manager), take it to consumer affairs.

#4 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:30 AM

I tend to agree with the others, the gear you have is not bad stuff by any means. It's like you have been sold a good 3 tonne truck but you actually needed a good station wagon. I'd also suggest taking it back to the retailer and asking to swap it for something more suitable. The listing of what you want to use it for would be a good place to start followed, closely by your budget.

The guys here are always willing to help, especially at translating what you want usage wise to what you need equipment wise. So I'd strongly suggest posting up your needs and we can progress from there.

There are a few educational videos you may want to watch, that may just help the process along. The Home Cinema Experience by Andrew Robinson is one, there are a number of episodes, this is the link to episode 1;

Cheers
Gary

Edited by GaryCook, 19 June 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#5 Gapete

Gapete

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hi guys

Thanks for all your replys, sorry for not responding sooner, my sisters husband passed away soon after posting, so been tied up with other things.

Have decided to keep the amp and speakers ( threw all the boxes away after unpacking) have ordered a subwoofer from Adelaide speakers to fit my cabinet, talked to Edward down there and he explained how to connect to amp, he also said I could phone him anytime if I get stuck connecting, so with you guys and him I will be in good hands,

Will let you know how the sub goes with my system, takes about 3 weeks to make and deliver.
One example again thanks to all.

Gapete

#6 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,891 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

Have decided to keep the amp and speakers ( threw all the boxes away after unpacking) have ordered a subwoofer from Adelaide speakers to fit my cabinet, talked to Edward down there and he explained how to connect to amp, he also said I could phone him anytime if I get stuck connecting, so with you guys and him I will be in good hands,
Gapete

Good work talking to Edward Gapete ; now we know you wanted a 2.1 system and not a 5.1 system right ? and have little interest in home theater ? Next step is to get a good 2ch source component to replace your dvd player as that will compromise your signal  ;)  

If you eventually wanted a full multichannel ht however; you would be better served with a 2ch amp that has a h/t bypass so you can easily incorporate it into the expanded system .. If you still have the receipt a decent shop should exchange it for something more appropriate  :puppeh:

#7 Gapete

Gapete

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

Thanks senior member

Yes I wanted a 2 ch stereo system, but as I said in my first post, I knew very little about audio systems,
So my brief was two bookshelf speakers, something to stream my music, from my iPhone & Mac Pro was going to connect to my TV plus my DVD player for the odd movie I may watch from time to time, plus some way down the track I would add a c.d player and maybe a radio tuner, to be perfectly honest I never even thought about a subwoofer,
Edward did say I could buy two connected speakers that would improve my sound, but if wanted to keep my Q acoustic speakers then a sub would help also.

So what is a 2ch source component? I really need to keep the DVD player the wife plays the grandkids movies on it, don't think I will be taking (amp )it back as I said the sound is a lot better then what I had, maybe down the track I could buy two new speakers for the TV and Dvd and set it up seperate from the stereo system, what you think ?
Gapete thanks again

#8 beejay76

beejay76

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

... have ordered a subwoofer from Adelaide speakers to fit my cabinet,...

Huh, you order a speaker to fit a cabinet? Not quite sure what you're trying to do there; speakers/subs should not go in cabinets.